Recomp

I'm new to MFP, wondering if anyone has any good tips and insight on recomp. Currently doing basic lifting like squats, bench and dead lifts. I am having a hard time with my nutrition. Currently tracking macros but not being able to hit my goals every day. I've been stuck in diet culture and I'm now trying to retrain my body to eating more balanced. Any ideas to help a sister out !?!?!
Tagged:

Replies

• tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 2,130 Member
    What is your height and weight?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,773 Member
    In case you haven't read it, there's a whole thread about it over in the Maintaining Weight section's Most Helpful Posts. Here's a direct link:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

There's some good info in there.

IMO, the way to improve nutrition is to think in terms of one's routine eating patterns, i.e., the kinds of foods and meals one has on repeat on typical routine days. Then, think about how to tweak the patterns in ways that can become new routine habits. That's a gradual process, but it can remodel eating style pretty profoundly, gradually over a period of time. If you're not struggling with some diagnosed deficiency now, or now eating in some truly appalling way overall, gradual remodeling will be fine. I also think it tends to persist better.

You don't (IMO) need to be exactly exact on macros every day. Pretty close, on average over a few days to a week: That should be OK. If protein or fats are consistently substantially low, that's worth working on, because those are essential nutrients. If you're a few grams low one day, a few grams over the next, and it averages out close to goal over that few days, you should be fine.

With a recomposition goal, protein is especially important, so if you tend consistently to be low on both protein and fats, high on other calories (carbs/alcohol), then I'd probably make improving protein the first target. This thread may help:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

If you're logging food (which would be helpful in this scenario), review your diary, and notice foods that are relatively higher in calories, but not proportionately important to you for satiation, other nutrition, pleasure, or similar important reasons. Reduce or eliminate those foods, replace the calories with something you enjoy eating that contributes better to your nutritional (and fitness/body composition) goals.

Make those changes part of your habits (routine patterns, i.e., "most days" stuff). Once a change(s) gets grooved in as a habit, look for another productive change to make. Repeat that process, and you may be surprised with how much progress you've made in a few weeks.
  • bbeards221
    bbeards221 Posts: 4 Member
    Im also interested in this while ive lost weight im still retaining body body
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,152 Member
    edited November 2023
    Are you tracking your workouts and lifting to progressive overload, if your not, then the probability of continued frustration will be a given, so tracking your progression will help in the most efficient way, imo.

Amino Acids are another confusing confounder and a lot of people just end up spinning their wheels and getting nowhere fast so all I'll say is look at the sources that give you the best quality and quantity of leucine, lysine and methionine, these build muscle, in that context, and the research to help you understand this should be valuable going forward. :)