avamay31305
avamay31305 Posts: 1 Member
edited November 2023 in Health and Weight Loss
hi

Answers

• Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    You have definitely made changes to your lifestyle.

You'll start to lose weight with a calorie deficit. At least 500 per day.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,992 Member
    Options
    or even 250 per day if you don't have a lot to lose
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    OP originally said they had gained 70 pounds in a year, with no lifestyle changes.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,992 Member
    Options
    Ah, ok. none of that information is showing now. :*
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    Ah, ok. none of that information is showing now. :*

Yah, they went in and deleted it. Wonder why that could be🫤
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,626 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    If the op doesn't want their post to exist they could go to the original post, "flag" it for moderation, and click on "report" choosing the report option: "this is my post and I want to delete it"
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,153 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support.

I'm probably going to consider a users post count in future, and maybe glance if they've actually come back to the site. All too often, people say they want help and say they intend to make changes, but they don't really. And that's their choice. That's fine. Don't waste other peoples time who are trying to help you though.

Retro, generally but especially when I was new here, I got a lot (a huge lot) of really useful information by reading posts that were answers to someone else's questions. Have you? ;)
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Thanks for the support.

I'm probably going to consider a users post count in future, and maybe glance if they've actually come back to the site. All too often, people say they want help and say they intend to make changes, but they don't really. And that's their choice. That's fine. Don't waste other peoples time who are trying to help you though.

Retro, generally but especially when I was new here, I got a lot (a huge lot) of really useful information by reading posts that were answers to someone else's questions. Have you? ;)

I agree with Ann---remember the lurkers. Some people don't post, but gather information just the same. It's not a waste to give good advice. You are appreciated.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,626 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    I agree about the lurker count. I admit to having been frustrated more than once with responses disappearing either because the OP deleted their post or moderation deleted the post.

I am not going to claim that either or both have not had some effect on me and on my desire to post answers and the type of answers. Nor am I going to claim that the type of answers I give and or the frequency of answers I've deleted or completed have not morphed over time.

But I don't know that a perfect solution that is universal and correct 100% of the time does exist.

At the end of the day I benefited from the forums directly. I felt compelled to contribute as a result. But I also acknowledge that as things change that participation becomes variable.

This has been even more true since I started logging elsewhere a few years back when the deletion of old data for free accounts was an official thing.

That said level-headed and well thought out input can probably make a difference in the life of a stranger.

And I certainly feel positive about some of the memes I've pushed or contributed to over the years ... weight trend and patience, make sure you've got consistent measurements and correct based on results, make decisions that encourage long-term adherence.... and more along these lines 🤷‍♂️
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Thanks for the support.

I'll answer interesting questions from low post count people for them or for the lurkers, but for the usual, "Halp! I can't lose weight and am doing everything right" questions I'll ask them to open their diary. If they are not willing to do that, I'm not willing to invest.

In over 11 years, I've only seen one person from whom I had enough information to agree that they were indeed logging accurately. I referred her to her doctor.

For everyone else, I've suspected (or been convinced, with enough info) that the problem lay somewhere here:

cs17oe75dcn0.jpg
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    I was expecting a bunch of "Hi's" in this thread so am going to drop one in anyway despite it turning into a serious discussion:

m9e3dwtvisu7.png
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,153 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    I figure if the OP does something like this case, it's legit to take the thread anywhere we want to. :D

I do get discouraged and am tempted to stop posting sometimes, despite feeling a debt to the Community for the help I've gotten over the long haul (most of it not from questions I asked!). (I feel like I owe some effort back.)

For me, though, what's dispiriting is not the cases where I invest in a reply and the OP bails. It's more the (IMO) toxic negativity that pops up very occasionally - people who don't contribute, but are insulting to others who do; complain that there's hive mind; claim "too many know-it-alls" when people disagree with their personal opinions; etc. That, and the level of persistent mythology that runs through popular press diet/fitness articles, advice from cheesy "influencers", etc., then pops up routinely here. That's discouraging.

I hate it when knowledgeable, helpful, thoughtful people leave (or stop posting), though. This has been IMO a really helpful, no-nonsense forum, but it seems like it slips slowly downhill when something happens that makes good people bail.

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    What I love about zombie threads is going through the old posts and seeing posters that I recognize from before. There were some great and knowledgeable people on here in the past. Gone. Not that there aren't any today, but it's a handful compared to before.

The boards used to be so interesting with all those people contributing. Kudos to those of you who remain and give your time and knowledge. It is appreciated.