Women who Lift Weights (and do so many other things)

Options

Replies

• Morelittletoys
    Morelittletoys Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I love the idea for this thread Nicole. I’ve always worked out around a demanding job, had my off times and my weight has ranged up and down over a range of 10kg. But I have taken to weights in the past year, using Apple fitness and now interested in getting into it more. But I am on a farm so working out at home. I can get access to a gym in town so I am looking for a decent program/online trainer if anyone can suggest one.

Generally my week is four strength workouts, either arms, legs or total body for 30 minutes. Then 20-30 mins of yoga four times a week and 30 mins of cycling twice a week. In the past year I’m doing full push ups for the first time ever (at 58) and want to increase my weights. Any tips appreciated. Cheers
  • nicolemaurerdvm
    nicolemaurerdvm Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    When I am set to increase my weights - that must mean my form is perfect for all reps and all sets, I don’t feel taxed after the exercise, and my soreness in the following days is very manageable. This is how I determine when I’m set to increase my weights. I also try to reorder my sets (for ex, if back squats were last for the last few weeks, I’ll move them to number one or number two of that group) and make sure I still feel really good about the exercise. And then I just increase by 5-10 lbs per weight per exercise and start all over again!

Thursday 11/30
    AMRAP style again - more of cardio work out (same as above)

Friday 12/1
    Pyramid - 10, 8, 6, 4, 2, and then back up to 10. Shoulders, bis, and tris! Three exercises, shoulder press (20lb DBs), bicep curls (20lb DBs), and tricep kickbacks (15lbs and then 12 lbs DBs). I did reverse the order going back up the pyramid.

I’m traveling this weekend for the holidays so tomorrow will likely be my favorite holiday work
    out, a 3-5mi run in some park/trail/city. Both mentally stimulating and a good cardio workout!

Lift hard, lift strong, lift smart. N
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    Options
    I'm dealing with so many injuries/conditions that I haven't lifted in a long time. Today my "workout" was two hours of restorative yoga :smiley: But after my last complaint about a new painful joint my doctor decided to send me to a rheumatologist. Perhaps there's something systemic and treatable going on.

I would love to be able to use my gym for something other than cardio, seeing how I'm not a fan of indoor cardio to start with, and mostly use the gym for AC cardio during the summer. Gardening season is winding down. Normally I'd being doing trail maintenance throughout the winter, but my wrists hurt after using the clippers :unamused::scream:
  • nicolemaurerdvm
    Options
    Sunday 12/10 Leg Day
    Warm up
    Changed up the sets slightly - 3 groups with 2
    exercises in each group, 8 reps each exercise
    1. Elevated heel squats - 95lb barbell (DBs difficult to keep form - wanted to shift weight forward so changed to barbell, much more comfortable with weight in heels)
    1. Walking lunges 30lbs DB each hand

2. Back squats 155lbs barbell
    2. Hamstring curls 35 lbs

3. Split squats 30lbs DBs
    3. Front Squats 115lbs barbells
    *doing elevated heel squats first did make back squats and front squats feel really difficult today - I wanted to go as low in those squats as I did with the heels elevated and it just wasn’t working…got it done though … difficult today*
    Cool Down

• nicolemaurerdvm
    Options
    Monday 12/11/23 shoulders, bis and tris
    Warm up
    3 sets, 10 reps
    Lat raise to front raise - 8lbs DBs
    Hammer curl - 20lbs DBs
    Bent Over Tricep Kickback - 12lbs x1, 15lbs DBs

Shoulder press - 20lbs DBs
    Bicep curls- 20lbs DBs
    Skull crushers- 15lbs DBs
    Cool Down

Tuesday 12/12/23 Cardio
    Warm up
    30 different exercises, 45 secs on, 15 secs off
    Cool Down

Wednesday 12/13/23 Chest/Back
    Three groups, two exercises each
    Warm up
    Push ups - narrow 27, wide 27, normal 27
    Bent Over Rows - 30lbs DBs

Deficit DL - 165lbs
    Chest Press - 35lbs DBs

Sumo Deadlift - 175lbs x2, 185lbs x1
    Chest Fly - 20lbs DBs
    Cool down

Thursday 12/14/23 - Extra Day
    Warm up
    20 min Tabata style work out with Plyo exercises (jumping lungs, jump knee tucks, jump squats, burpees, jumping high knee, etc)
    Cool down

Sunday 12/16/23 Leg Day
    Warm up
    Front squats - 115lbs
    Walking Lunges - 30lbs DBs (go up next week)

Back squats - 155lbs
    Hamstring curls - 40lbs

Jumping squats x 2 -95 lbs
    Elevated heel squats - 95lbs x 1
    Split squats - 30lbs DBs

The Christmas holiday season is here! Stay strong everyone and enjoy!

• nicolemaurerdvm
    Options
    Monday 12/18/23 shoulders, bis and tris
    Warm up
    3 sets, 10 reps
    Lat raise - 8lbs DBs
    Front raise - 10lbs DBs
    Hammer curl - 20lbs DBs
    Bent Over Tricep Kickback - 12lbs DBs

Shoulder press - 20lbs DBs x 2, 25lbs x 1
    Zottman curls- 15lbs DBs
    Skull crushers- 15lbs DBs
    Cool Down

Tuesday 12/19/23 Cardio
    Warm up
    30 different exercises, 45 secs on, 15 secs off
    Cool Down

Thursday 12/21/23 Chest/Back
    Three groups, two exercises each
    Warm up
    Push ups - narrow 27, wide 27, normal 27

Deficit DL - 165lbs
    Chest Press - 40lbs DBs

Sumo Deadlift - 185lbs
    Incline Chest Fly - 25lbs DBs
    Cool down

Friday 12/22/23 - Extra Day
    Insanity (found on YouTube….for now)
    Sweat intervals - kicked my a**
    Challenge accepted - will be my new cardio, aim for once to twice weekly!

The Christmas holiday season is here! Stay strong everyone and enjoy!

• Brigit_1
    Brigit_1 Posts: 209 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Ladies you're doing amazing! Here is my new schedule:

Sun. Tue Friday: Heavy weights

Mon & Sat: Rest

Wed & Thurs.: Cardio
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I'm dealing with so many injuries/conditions that I haven't lifted in a long time. Today my "workout" was two hours of restorative yoga :smiley: But after my last complaint about a new painful joint my doctor decided to send me to a rheumatologist. Perhaps there's something systemic and treatable going on.

I would love to be able to use my gym for something other than cardio, seeing how I'm not a fan of indoor cardio to start with, and mostly use the gym for AC cardio during the summer. Gardening season is winding down. Normally I'd being doing trail maintenance throughout the winter, but my wrists hurt after using the clippers :unamused::scream:

i've found angles that let me work around my issues. i not only brace ankles and knees for cardio, i brace them for any workout as a rule, since i find myself using them to brace with. i use wrist braces for upper body work.

but 2 most important things that let me work out again. i started back with super light weights. i'm talking 5 pounds or less for biceps and shoulders, for example, till i learned the angles that wouldn't hurt my shoulders, elbows and left lat. once i found those angles - and that took experimenting; i do hammer curls rather than curls as they're not painful. once i found the best angles and positions, i stayed at the super light weight for a couple weeks till it got even easier. then i added 2 1/2 pounds for biceps, 1 1/4 pounds for shoulders. rinse and repeat. the angles for chest took a lot of moving the angle slightly up or down till it didn't bother my lat at all.

btw, a luthier who once built me a custom guitar tore his rotator cuff in several places. once the tear wasn't acute, he starting exercising with a small can of soup, then worked up to a large can of chunky soup. gradually he worked his way up to normal. light weights can allow you to improve.

sometimes i'd start out without doing a full movement as it was too hard for me or i was figuring out the right angle/position and didn't want to reinjure or damage anything. but i'm continuing to try, and am adding new moves or more sets as my body allows.

and yes, it can be frustrating, particularly as i used to lift heavy and loved it, but you know what? i've seen real improvement, and that's exciting.
  • nay0m3
    nay0m3 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Love lifting!! Love reading what others are doing! I’ve put on ten pounds and ready to get it off! Lifting helps me have the shape I want but cardio and nutrition help me keep the pounds off and my nutrition has definitely been off so working on that as well as doing three totally body lifting days and 1-2 days of cardio. I will get there! Happy to be back here for support, motivation and encouragement 💖
  • nicolemaurerdvm
    Options
    Monday 12/25/23 Twelve Days of Christmas! Shoulders, bis and tris
    Warm up
    12 reps, 11 reps, 10 reps, down to 1 rep, straight through, no rest, two sets
    Exercises aimed at shoulder, biceps, triceps - different exercise for each body part (so 4 shoulder exercises, 4 bicep exercises and 4 tricep exercises)
    Cool Down

Tuesday 12/26/23 Cardio
    Warm up
    Insanity Friday Fight - not much better this week, still kicked by a**
    Cool Down

Thursday 12/28/23 Chest/Back
    Three groups, two exercises each (except the fit test)
    Warm up
    Navy Fit Test (cause sometimes you have to change it up)
    63 push ups in 2 mins
    53 sit ups in 2 mins
    *did not tackle the run or any flexed arm hang or pull ups*

Deficit DL - 165lbs
    Chest Press - 40lbs DBs

Sumo Deadlift - 205lbs X 8, 195lbs X 8, 185lbs X 8
    Cool down

Friday 12/29/23 - Cardio
    Insanity Max Sweat - still got my a** kicked however, not as bad as the last two times :smile:

Sunday 12/31/23 - Leg Day
    Terrible day - I have not had a terrible strength day in a long long time (probably in years to be honest). I wanted to quit half way through this workout. I was completely in my head this work out. But I didn't quit, I finished, though it took forever, and by the end, form was not looking ideal. :neutral:
    Warm up
    Front squats - 115lbs
    Walking Lunges - 35lbs DBs

Back squats - 135lbs
    *I played around with grip width today and worked on shoulder flexibility before hand. I do low bar back squat and 155lbs have been feeling really good but I got in my head regarding my elbow position which lead me down the tunnel for shoulder mobility, etc, etc. My husband got on me during this work out and asked why I was changing things - he brought up a good point, was what I was doing before hurting me? Was I having pain during lifting or even after lifting that wasn't related to muscle soreness? And, if my form was still ideal - meaning, depth appropriate, knees NOT going in, no bending forward, etc, why did I change it? I don't know...I feel like I have been stuck at 155lbs for 5 weeks or so and I'm not feeling any movement. Next week, I will go back to my typical form and increase the weight (maybe by 5-10lbs) and just see how I do - maybe I can do it and I just haven't pushed myself for it yet.*
    Hamstring curls - 40lbs

Elevated heel squats - 135lbs
    Split squats - 35lbs DBs
    Cool Down

This marks the end of 2023. In 2022 I ran the Hartford Marathon in 4 hours and 20 mins and worked out 263 times for the year. In 2023, no marathon run and only worked out 140 times for the year. Here's to 2024...aim for more work outs and making fitness a priority (or as best as I can). Would love to break 200lbs for back squat for reps. And maybe a pull up - though I never viewed the ability to do pull ups as a marker for strength.
    Happy New Year everyone!
  • bssrnn16
    bssrnn16 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am 62 yo, but most people always comment i look younger.
    I have been a workout nut since the 70's.
    Ive done everything from lifting wts ( best BMI was 15%), running, dancing, swimming , diving, and i could probably think of much more.
    My point is , my children are now grown, just stay active. Dont sit on that stupid couch no matter how old you are. The TV and internet is the ruin of America.
    I currently ( home gym) , lift, row, pilates, yoga and swim.

Love your thread! Wish i was 20 yrs younger just to love my body more!

God bless , Happiest bNww Years to All
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,550 Member
    Options
    @zebasschick gets brownie points simply for casually mentioning a luthier.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    @zebasschick gets brownie points simply for casually mentioning a luthier.

As a member in good standing at talk bass and a prior moderator at the acoustic guitar forum, I talk about luthiers all the time. Do I get extra brownie points? Lol
  • nicolemaurerdvm
    edited January 5
    Options
    Monday January 1, 2024 Shoulders, Bis and Tris (and more squats)
    Warm Up
    Close Grip Tricep Press 3 sets X 12 reps 15lbs DBs
    Alternating Bicep Curl 3 sets X 12 reps 15lbs DBs
    20 rep back squat barbell - 95lbs
    Diamond Dumb Bell Close Grip Push Ups 3 sets X 12 reps
    Isometric Zottman Curls 3 sets X 8 reps 15lbs DBs
    Lying Cross Body Tricep Extension to Reverse Chest Press 3 sets X 12 reps, 12lbs DBs and 15lbs DBs
    Wide DB curls to Narrow DB curls 3 sets X 10 reps 12lbs DBs and 10lb DBs
    Cool Down
    I added squats to this work out after my poor attitude about leg day the day before. Surprising, these squats were easy - each set gave me no trouble - I wasn't in my head and I just squatted. I was inspired by reading many reviews on the 20rep squat program - though don't think I will be tackling that program anytime soon however I might be adding more squats randomly into my workouts!

Tuesday 1/2/24 CARDIO
    Insanity CARDIO

Wednesday 1/3/24 CHEST/BACK DAY
    Warm Up
    27 push ups for each - narrow, wide and normal (will increase to 30 reps next week for each version)
    Deficit DL - 165lbs (felt good - though may change to Romanian DLs moving forward, unsure at this time)
    Chest Press - 40lbs DBs (difficult today)
    Sumo Deadlift - 205lbs X 2 (body said heck to the no today, will have poor form) finished the rest of the sets at 185lbs X 8 for 2 sets
    Cool Down

Friday 1/5/24 CARDIO
    Insanity Max TABATA

I am adding a flexibility/mobility day to my routine - really going to work on shoulder/chest, hip/knee/ankle mobility - hoping that improving my mobility will help improve my strength. Mobility and flexibility is extremely important for lifting with proper technique and also being able to increase in strength. I don't want my mobility and flexibility to be my limiting factor with increasing my strength.

My macros for the last 3 weeks have been around 45% fat and protein and 10% carbs. I'm sure if I increased by carb macro I wouldn't feel so drained after the insanity/cardio work outs.
  • nicolemaurerdvm
    Options
    Sunday 1/7/24 Leg Day
    Warm up
    Walking lunges 35lbs DBs
    Front Squats - 125lbs x 1 set, 115lbs x 2 sets
    Back squats - 155lbs x 1 set, 165 lbs x 1, 175lbs x 1
    Hamstring curls - 40lbs
    Split squats - 35lbs DBs
    20rep squat 105lbs
    Not a mental day
    Cool Down

Monday 1/8/24 Shoulders, Bis and Tris (and more squats)
    Warm Up
    Close Grip Tricep Press 3 sets X 12 reps 20lbs DBs
    Alternating Bicep Curl 3 sets X 12 reps 20lbs DBs
    20 rep back squat barbell - 105lbs
    Isometric Zottman Curls 3 sets X 8 reps 15lbs DBs and 20lbs DBs
    Lying Cross Body Tricep Extension to Reverse Chest Press 3 sets X 12 reps, 15lbs DBs
    Wide DB curls to Narrow DB curls 3 sets X 10 reps 15lbs DBs and 12lbs DBs
    Cool Down

Tuesday 1/9/24 CARDIO
    Insanity Max Sweat Intervals

Wednesday 1/10/24 CHEST/BACK DAY
    Warm Up
    30push ups for each - narrow, wide and normal
    Romanian Deadlifts 115lbs 165lbs
    Chest Press - 40lbs DBs
    Sumo Deadlift - 185lbs x1, 205lbs X 2
    *going to be doing 1 rep sets some days to help with form for 1 rep. Once the bar moves it goes easy but that first rep sometimes doesn’t look that great. And my feet are too wide causing a pelvis tuck at the end with a round back … but only for the first rep …. Will be playing around with form and adjusting as the weeks go on*
    Cool Down

Thursday 1/11/24 CARDIO
    Insanity Friday Fight 2

Sunday 1/14/24 Leg Day
    Walking lunges 35lbs DBs
    Front Squats - 115lbs x 1, 120lbs x 1, 125lbs x 1
    Back squats - 155lbs x 1, 175lbs x 2
    Hamstring curls - 45lbs x 1, 40lbs x 1, 45lbs x 1
    Split squats - 35lbs DB
    20 rep squat 115lbs
    20 sets of 1 rep sumo dead lift 115lbs (fixed the feet position, not as wide, not as turned out, helped with pelvis tuck a lot, will have to see how it feels as the weight increases)
    Not a mental day again

• nicolemaurerdvm
    Options
    I hope all you lovely ladies are still chugging along! This past week was difficult for me for motivation. The weather was in the negatives without the wind chill, work was mentally tough and it’s still really dark in the mornings. I got it done this past week and I felt good that I didn’t just give the week up but I also only do four days instead of five and only one day of cardio - and I was okay with this. Also, my appetite is revving big time … I eat between 1500-1600 cals/day with protein macros being about 40-45%. I am considering increasing my calories to 1700-1750 per day as I lift heavier and heavier.

Monday 1/15/24 Shoulders, Bis and Tris (and more squats)
    Warm Up
    Close Grip Tricep Press 3 sets X 12 reps 20lbs DBs x2, 25lbs x 1
    20 rep back squat barbell - 115lbs
    Lying Cross Body Tricep Extension to Reverse Chest Press 3 sets X 12 reps, 15lbs DBs
    Cool Down

Tuesday 1/16/24 CARDIO
    Insanity Max Power Tabata

Friday 1/19/24 CHEST/BACK DAY
    Warm Up
    10repsx9sets push ups - 30 of each for narrow, normal and wide
    Bent Over Rows - 30lbs DBs 8 x 3
    Romanian Deadlifts 125lbs 8 x 3
    Chest Press - 40lbs DBs
    Sumo Deadlift - 155lbs 1 rep x 8
    175 lbs - 1 rep x 4 and if those single reps were perfect form, then finished the last 4 reps continuously for each set. Really wrapping my head around the fact that sumo is a leg press into the ground … hopefully with adjustment to my form I will make better gains with no pain!
    Incline Chest Fly - 25lbs DBs 8 x 3
    Cool Down

Sunday 1/21/24 Leg Day
    8 reps x 3 sets
    Walking lunges 35lbs DBs x 2, 40lbs DBs x 1
    Front Squats - 125lbs
    Back squats - 175lbs x 2, 185lbs x 1
    Hamstring curls - 40lbs x 1, 45lbs x 2
    Elevated heel squats - 135lbs x 1, 140lbs x 1, 145lbs x 1
    Split squats - 35lbs DBs
    20 rep squat 125lbs

It can be tough some times ladies … everything all piling on at once and working out is just one more thing. But you can do it … dig deep and don’t give up. Even for a few mins you will feel your soul being lifted.

• nicolemaurerdvm
    Options
    Monday 1/22/24 Bis and Tris (and more squats)
    Warm Up
    Close Grip Tricep Press 3 sets X 12 reps 25lbs DBs
    20 rep back squat barbell - 125lbs
    Cool Down

Tuesday 1/23/24 CARDIO
    Insanity Max Cardio

Thursday 1/25/24 CHEST/BACK DAY
    Warm Up
    Bent Over Rows - 30lbs DBs 8 x 3
    Conventional deadlift - 135lbs x 8, 155lbs x 8, 175lbs x 8, 225lbs x 2
    Chest Press - 35lbs x 8, 40lbs x 8, 50lbs x 8
    Conventional Deficit Deadlift - 135lbs x 8, 155lbs x 8, 175lbs x 8
    Sumo Deficit Deadlift - 135lbs x 8, 155lbs x 8, 175lbs x 8
    Incline Chest Fly - 25lbs DBs 8 x 3
    Sumo Deadlift - 175lbs x 1 rep x 4, then 4, 185lbs x 1 rep x 2, then 6, 195lbs x 1 rep x 4
    Cool Down

Friday 1/26/24
    Insanity Friday Fight Round 1

Deload week coming up - same group of exercises, same sets and reps and at 50-65% RPMs

• earlybirdlady
    earlybirdlady Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this thread! I haven’t had a chance to read through all the previous posts yet, but I honestly came on here looking for something that would help me cope with fatigue of training, working, parenting, and trying to hold it all together.

I’m focusing on building muscle right now so I’m doing more intense workouts in the early morning. I’m finding that by the time I get home from work I’m so exhausted and irritable and I don’t want to show up that way for my family. I’m doing a mostly well with nutrition but hydration could be better.

Anyway, this is probably out of context of the discussion but just wanted to say thanks for the relatable thread!
  • nicolemaurerdvm
    Options
    Thanks for posting this thread! I haven’t had a chance to read through all the previous posts yet, but I honestly came on here looking for something that would help me cope with fatigue of training, working, parenting, and trying to hold it all together.

I’m focusing on building muscle right now so I’m doing more intense workouts in the early morning. I’m finding that by the time I get home from work I’m so exhausted and irritable and I don’t want to show up that way for my family. I’m doing a mostly well with nutrition but hydration could be better.

Anyway, this is probably out of context of the discussion but just wanted to say thanks for the relatable thread!

I am very similar for after work work outs. I am in a much better place if I get up, get the work out done, go to work and then come home and deal with the rest. I also feel it’s much easier to skip the work out in the evening vs the morning! You’re not alone and some times you just can’t, and that’s okay! You’re doing it all, remember that and you’re doing the best you can!
  • earlybirdlady
    earlybirdlady Posts: 56 Member
    Options

I am very similar for after work work outs. I am in a much better place if I get up, get the work out done, go to work and then come home and deal with the rest. I also feel it’s much easier to skip the work out in the evening vs the morning! You’re not alone and some times you just can’t, and that’s okay! You’re doing it all, remember that and you’re doing the best you can!

I appreciate that and yes - so much easier to skip the afternoon/evening workouts! I truly love my dark, quiet, early-morning time. Even if I don't end up working out that day it's so peaceful.