Almost a Year In--Ozempic Journey so far

Options
Warning, this will be long. But I have so much to talk about.
Today, 7weeks before I hit the 1 year mark of starting Oz, I finally hit the 50lbs down mark! I thought I would be more emotional about it. And, while I know others have lost at a much faster clip, I am very happy with this slow progress. It's been 45 weeks and this would mean that I have lost roughly a pound a week. I am thrilled with this. I figured when I started that it would take me roughly 18 months to lose the amount (80lbs) that I wanted and at this pace I would be right on target. I am grateful for the slow pace (as hard as it is some weeks to look at the scale and say...just move to the next number) because I am not facing the really loose skin that I expected. I am just now starting to see the "less volume" effect in certain areas...my legs and upper arms and lately my belly. But I think proper exercise can take care of some of that by building up lean muscle.

But during this journey I have learned a lot. I have asked a million questions. I have found influencers that are REAL about their journey...not some one saying that they have lost 50 lbs in a month type of person. And I have found a great community here on MFP. In all honesty, I have been on MFP for over 10 years, off and on and have never really found the right group of ppl to connect with like I have this year. And I thank each and every one of you for the support, the encouragement, the suggestions and the "not letting me get too inside my head".

I never give out advise (outside of MFP) unless someone specifically asks. I just don't. I always hated it when people thought that they could make me thin just by telling me their opinions (fad diets, insane work outs etc). With out me asking for their opinions. If I had asked, then I deserve what I get, but just telling me "out of the goodness of their heart"...not really helping! But I will share here...things that I have learned or figured out;

1. If you are taking Oz or any of the other Semaglutide be aware that everyone has different results and side effects. Don't hold yourself up to judgement against others.
2. Make your scales your best friend. Yes, weigh yourself, but don't let it effect your day. No one knows what that number is so don't let it impact your mood. But use it as motivation for sure. And I say scales because you need a kitchen scale. Weigh your food!!!! Don't just eyeball it. Go ahead, take a guess on how much that chicken breast weighs...then get the reality check from the scale!!! Want to know how you gained weight in the first place...might have been portions that were bigger than you think.
3. Also make friends with measuring cups and spoons. Buy an extra set because you will need them. Or you can just keep doing the dishes. Either way...measure your servings.
4. Track your food. In all the brutal honesty of it. It will show you trends!!!
5. Drink water!!! I cannot stress this enough. Your body needs water.
6. Eat all of your protein. Google, or ask your doctor or MFP how much protein your body needs and eat it!!! Focus on protein!!!
7. Move. It doesn't have to be climbing mountains, but don't just do nothing. Walk around every hour at work (250 steps to clear your brain), park a little further from the door at the mall, use the bathroom on the second floor of your house so that you use the stairs. Little ways to get in some movement. Then work up to work outs. Or don't. Just don't not get off your butt. Every step helps.
8. Cut yourself some slack. You did not gain weight over night, so don't expect it to go away overnight! It truly takes time.
9. And this is classic...this is a marathon not a sprint. Losing weight is hard. If it were easy then there wouldn't be any overweight people in the world.
10. Find your purpose. Way are you choosing to lose weight? What are you looking to achieve? Before you eat something, think...will this help me to reach that ultimate goal and secure the reason why I am doing this. For me, I went into this process to stave off health issues as I age. I know that getting older will bring with it the usual health concerns, but if I could help to prevent additional ones by getting healthy now, why wouldn't I? That is what I think about before I eat something thoughtlessly!
11. Prepare to have to buy new clothing. The old thinking was 10lbs down would equal a size. Not really accurate. But you will need new things. But keep something to see where you came from. And take some pictures...you will thank me!!

OK, enough rambling. I am no expert. I have failed and succeeded just like the rest of you here. But if my insights help one person with their journey, then I feel like I have done something! Good luck to all of you. I, well have 30 (ok 29.5) pounds to go to reach my original goal. I'll update you all in a few months.

Replies

• onhaltn
    onhaltn Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I can testify to what a great weight loss pal Sandie2102 has been. Really really helped to hear from her every day. Thank you! And thanks for the advice!
  • CrazyMermaid1
    CrazyMermaid1 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    What a great post. Hopefully this plan will make it easier to keep the weight off. That’s even harder than losing it.
  • Claribel1
    Claribel1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post. I started in August and am down a few pounds and still struggling to adjust my body to that and Metformin. Thank you for your tips.
  • MovinNow
    MovinNow Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Well worth reading- thanks for sharing. It is a real motivational reminder that taking these steps and being patience -the weight does come off. Congratulations on your achievement. I look forward to hearing back when you reach your final goal!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,406 Member
    Options
    It's a good OP, absolutely.

Personally, I'd say the OP generally and the numbered list specifically is decent advice for most people who want to manage their weight, whether relevant medications are in the picture or not. (Not quite universal advice, because nothing is, but really good, and fairly in in line with much advice frequently offered here on MFP.)

I'm not dissing the medication route when I say the above: To me, it's like any other strategy that isn't patently and obviously dangerous/unhealthful (as medications like this IMO aren't): If that strategy helps a person succeed, it's a good strategy for that person.

I marked it "inspiring", too, when I first read it a while back. I didn't and don't have anything substantive to add, because it speaks for itself very well.
    Again, a pertinent, brave, vulnerable, humble original post. No one will touch it.

I'm not sure whether "no one will touch it" means "no one will dare to comment on it" or "no one will ever post anything as good". Neither interpretation really makes sense to me in context of the thread. Either I'm missing something, or something else was meant.

The Oprah digression was kind of weird, but not that kind of thing is not super unusual around here.
  • Nova
    Nova Posts: 9,994 MFP Staff
    Options
    Hi all, I've moved the discussion about Oprah to debate. If you want to talk to the OP, please do that here ^, if you want to talk about Oprah, please discuss that in Debate.