Replies

• yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with you
  • tnic86
    tnic86 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I couldn't agree more with your statement!
  • armymil
    armymil Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I find it stunning how many drs, are over weight but preach healthy diets, etc!

LOL, my cousin is a dietician. She is overweight, probably in her mid 200s. I never understood how that would work out. I'd never take the advice of a person like her. I want a skinny chick or some buffed out dude to say you need to eat more veggies. I'd believe them over her.
  • Laura32412
    Options
    It's interesting you bring this up because I had a similar feeling towards a segment on Rachel Ray either last year or the year before. The segment was about finding fashionable clothing for sizes 22 and up women. Now, on one hand I was thinking, that's a great idea, everyone should be able to wear something fashionable and be comfortable, but on the other hand I was thinking why don't these women work towards losing the weight and get into sizes 12 or 14 or even 16? All the women claimed to be happy with their bodies, which I find hard to believe since they weren't taking the time to go out and find the fashionable clothing the stylists put them in but rather going around in large shirts and sweatshirts.

When I related the segment and my thoughts to someone they said who am I to judge, it's not like I'm skinny (I was wearing a size 10 at the time and though overweight for my 5'4" frame, by no means obese or morbidly obese). While I agree that discrimination is wrong, I don't know how I feel about including obesity in the list. Weight is something you can change about yourself if you make the effort to do so.

Sorry if I'm coming off holier than thou or rude . . .
  • sarkris
    Options
    I thinn self compassion takes us a lot further than berating ourselves our "accepting ourselves". It is compassion towards ourselves that brings lightbulb moments and the motivation to stick with things when they are tough. It's compassionate to ourselves when we admit that we aren't perfect and that's ok - but we are tired of being tired, tired of our knees hurting everyday and that awful feeling of "riding the sugar pony". If compassion for ourselves is our motivation to steam up some veggies and lace up our sneakers - it will go 10,000 times further than either telling ourselves that we're happy even though we are fat (when we know it just isn't true) - or telling ourselves that we are the worst people ever.
    The nifty thing is - when we learn compassion for ourselves we start to feel it for others. And that can change the world. Sorry if I'm rambling and not making any sense at all - I haven't slept in 32 hours...

Hope this made sense to someone :)
  • anvacarz
    Options
    I think rather than coddling people, they need to be given more information. No, it is not healthy to be overweight and yes everyone has the power to change. What America should be doing is putting plans in place to help people. They are already starting with the children. Cafeterias are becoming healthier and even Nickelodeon and Disney have commercials about playing outside. Every so often they even turn off their programming and tell children to go outside. We need programs in place for adults as well. Programs that teach them how to eat better and exercise. I know they can find it all online but most people aren't willing to look. And a lot of the programs available such as weight watchers are too expensive.

I agree that education is important in the fight against obesity, especially childhood obesity, but I find it more disturbing that people fail to be accountable for decisions they make in their lives. I know that I am the only one who is responsible for the state of my weight and I am the only one who can change it....through determination and strength of will. People in this country want to blame anyone and everyone else for their problems without ever considering who is really in charge of their lives. Parents need to take charge of their children and adults need to be accountable and responsible for the choices they make.

EXACTLY. People need to be held accountable. Providing programs and even more education than is out there already is coddling. Just fess up, own up and change. You know exactly when and what you are doing wrong when you are gaining.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    It's interesting you bring this up because I had a similar feeling towards a segment on Rachel Ray either last year or the year before. The segment was about finding fashionable clothing for sizes 22 and up women. Now, on one hand I was thinking, that's a great idea, everyone should be able to wear something fashionable and be comfortable, but on the other hand I was thinking why don't these women work towards losing the weight and get into sizes 12 or 14 or even 16? All the women claimed to be happy with their bodies, which I find hard to believe since they weren't taking the time to go out and find the fashionable clothing the stylists put them in but rather going around in large shirts and sweatshirts.

When I related the segment and my thoughts to someone they said who am I to judge, it's not like I'm skinny (I was wearing a size 10 at the time and though overweight for my 5'4" frame, by no means obese or morbidly obese). While I agree that discrimination is wrong, I don't know how I feel about including obesity in the list. Weight is something you can change about yourself if you make the effort to do so.

Sorry if I'm coming off holier than thou or rude . . .

Discrimination in itself isn't a bad thing. We discriminate against criminals all the time...for good reason. It's the reasons we have to take into consideration. I think instead of discrimination, we should focus on respect and honesty. We need to respect and be honest with ourselves about the choices we make and do the same to others. I also think some people who are obese get overwhelmed by all the negativity that surrounds it. Along with respecting ourselves and being open and honest, we also need to celebrate ourselves. I could be off base here but I think someone is probably much more likely to get healthier if they don't feel like they should be punished for being obese.
  • armymil
    Options
    Discrimination in itself isn't a bad thing. We discriminate against criminals all the time...for good reason. It's the reasons we have to take into consideration. I think instead of discrimination, we should focus on respect and honesty. We need to respect and be honest with ourselves about the choices we make and do the same to others. I also think some people who are obese get overwhelmed by all the negativity that surrounds it. Along with respecting ourselves and being open and honest, we also need to celebrate ourselves. I could be off base here but I think someone is probably much more likely to get healthier if they don't feel like they should be punished for being obese.

Right, I agree. "I could be off base here but I think someone is probably much more likely to get healthier if they don't feel like they should be punished for being obese."

Though you should be more careful on comparisons. "Discrimination in itself isn't a bad thing. We discriminate against criminals all the time...for good reason."

You shouldn't compare good over weight citizens to criminals.
  • hellokehtty
    Options

How can you know how to drive without some education?

I'm not saying that education is unimportant; I agree that it is. I just mean that I don't feel that education alone solves the problem. Action, commitment and accountability are also key. For me, I knew what healthy eating habits were. It was actually taking the step to create those habits that was hard.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    As a former super morbidly obese person, I have a couple thoughts:

- I fully admit that my weight was my problem and I had to deal with the negative aspects that came along with it. I never expected special treatment because of my weight. HOWEVER, it was unfair that I was passed over for a promotion because I was overweight. It is also extremely wrong for people to make nasty comments to me or about me.
    -Treating overweight people like criminals is wrong. Its all well and good to say stop coddling them and say they need to lose weight. If it was really that easy then we wouldn't have an obsesity epidemic. You don't have to hold their hand and tell them its gonna be okay but you don't have to be judgemental. People have to realize that losing weight is one most difficult things to do - ever - period. I quit smoking cold turkey and couldn't believe how easily I was able to do it. I wish I could have taken the weight off so easily. But I've never had to pick up a cigarette again in order to survive. Daily we are confronting and trying to control the thing that we need to continue to exist yet is the cause of our problem. Anyone who says its easy is being holier than thou.
    - Some people are happy being overweight, I was for a long time (until it affected my life and health). Then I made the choice to change. Buts that's me. Some people will be happy their entire lives being heavy, others will die miserable. But the same can be said for thin people, rich people, pretty people, ugly people, etc.
    - And if we are going to pick on obese people and smokers, why is it that everyone is okay people who drink too much???? My being fat is not going to hurt you. You can avoid second hand smoke. But if I'm driving down the road and a dead drunk driver hits me head on... me and possibly the rest of my family are dead. Yet you don't get the hue and cry about drinking as you do about smokers & fatties!

Everyone needs to mind their own business, worry about themselves, support others who ask for it, and live the life you choose.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I know local hospitals have told all their employees that they have 2yrs to quit smoking, or they will not have a job.

I'd tell them where to stick it! They have no right telling you want you can or cannot do in your personal time. I'd just sue them for unfair dismissal!

The company I work for sends out a notice to everyone signing up for benefits that "if you are a smoker, or use smoke-related products, your premiums are 20% higher than the non-smoking plans".... they go into detail the why-it-is-higher and state that if you are in the middle of a cessation program, you need to submit proof so you dont have to pay the higher premium. Then the insurance demands records for each visit to prove you are still in that program and participating.

We work in a food-related environment and to encourage non-smoking is actually smart.

The problem with smoking is that it has been proven to cost more in healthcare services (respiratory/circulatory related) where you are basically contaminating your lungs with products that induce medical problems.

If people lie on their benefit application saying they dont smoke, when in fact they do... once that medical claim goes in for payment, and they see the diagnosis come in with something smoking-related, that patient's claim gets denied, potential loss of benefits (considered fraud)(because of how the contract was drawn up with the company), and if they do keep their insurance, they pay a penalty AND the higher premium for lying on the application.

In terms of insurance, sure. Luckily Im in the UK and we don't require health insurance as we have the NHS. I thought it was simply a "stop smoking or you're sacked" kinda thing, which got my goat.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

Though you should be more careful on comparisons. "Discrimination in itself isn't a bad thing. We discriminate against criminals all the time...for good reason."

I agree. Thankfully I didn't do that. You'll note that the point of me including my statement about discrimination is to highlight that not all types of discrimination are the same. If a reader wishes to infer a similarity between criminals and obese individuals based on my statement, then I agree to disagree with their interpretation.
  • FitForeverAgain
    FitForeverAgain Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    This was interesting conversation. What happened to all the posts?
  • armymil
    Options
    As a former super morbidly obese person, I have a couple thoughts:

- I fully admit that my weight was my problem and I had to deal with the negative aspects that came along with it. I never expected special treatment because of my weight. HOWEVER, it was unfair that I was passed over for a promotion because I was overweight. It is also extremely wrong for people to make nasty comments to me or about me.
    -Treating overweight people like criminals is wrong. Its all well and good to say stop coddling them and say they need to lose weight. If it was really that easy then we wouldn't have an obsesity epidemic. You don't have to hold their hand and tell them its gonna be okay but you don't have to be judgemental. People have to realize that losing weight is one most difficult things to do - ever - period. I quit smoking cold turkey and couldn't believe how easily I was able to do it. I wish I could have taken the weight off so easily. But I've never had to pick up a cigarette again in order to survive. Daily we are confronting and trying to control the thing that we need to continue to exist yet is the cause of our problem. Anyone who says its easy is being holier than thou.
    - Some people are happy being overweight, I was for a long time (until it affected my life and health). Then I made the choice to change. Buts that's me. Some people will be happy their entire lives being heavy, others will die miserable. But the same can be said for thin people, rich people, pretty people, ugly people, etc.
    - And if we are going to pick on obese people and smokers, why is it that everyone is okay people who drink too much???? My being fat is not going to hurt you. You can avoid second hand smoke. But if I'm driving down the road and a dead drunk driver hits me head on... me and possibly the rest of my family are dead. Yet you don't get the hue and cry about drinking as you do about smokers & fatties!

Everyone needs to mind their own business, worry about themselves, support others who ask for it, and live the life you choose.

Finally, I knew someone would back me up out there or at least have similar view points!

That was one point I forgot. Smoking and drinking are hard to quit in themselves but you don't get exposed to them everyday unless you work around them. Eating is something you do to live and sometimes you feel hungry for food. Knowing when you are full and when you are hungry are easy to learn with some education.

The only thing I will side with them is that you have some of our kind that expects special treatment. You have to sort through everyone's viewpoints here but here is an example. A person is sueing a fast food chain because they never updated their table sizes. Which I dont know why if you arent a fast food chain you wouldnt go ahead and make em bigger anyhow. It's little things like this where you go, really?

Let's tax fast food higher and lower the taxes for farmers for cheaper healthier food! Then going out would truely be something not everyone could afford to do! I bet people would learn to cook healthier then!
  • ladyphoto
    ladyphoto Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with your view point on this. There is that new show about the plus size models- and how they are all about accepting themselves, loving themselves, etc- I'm all about that- but then in the show, they complain over and over again about how it's hard to meet men, how self conscience they feel sometimes, etc.

It's not enough to talk the talk. You have to walk the walk, and in my humble opinion, there isn't a person alive that is obese that is truly truly happy to be that way. Society glamorizing it and trying to get the masses to accept it is a huge problem- these people's lives are in danger- it's not all about vanity.

I have seen the US really up-ing their tolerance to being significantly overweight and I hope it does not continue.

Now, that all being said, I never said- and totally disagree with- mistreating obese people or any demoralizing treatment...that's terrible.
  • armymil
    Options

I agree. Thankfully I didn't do that. You'll note that the point of me including my statement about discrimination is to highlight that not all types of discrimination are the same. If a reader wishes to infer a similarity between criminals and obese individuals based on my statement, then I agree to disagree with their interpretation.

Hey I hear you. All I'm saying is be careful. Sometimes no comparisions are better. You covered yourself later in your paragraph.
  • Dolphingirlie81
    Options
    I agree. The price of healthcare is NUTS, and just getting worse. I know local hospitals have told all their employees that they have 2yrs to quit smoking, or they will not have a job. Being that no one will be a smoker employed by them, their health ins costs will go down greatly. I wonder how long it will take for such places to do the same with obese employees?

I find it stunning how many drs, are over weight but preach healthy diets, etc!

That's absurd. While they are at it, why not tell the employees that probably enjoy a beer or a glass of wine of a day of work. If they don't stop, they don't have a job. The whole high insurance rates is absurd. I don't pay much attention to all the insurace talk, cause I think its BS. But I heard about if someone is a smoker. So are they gonna raise rates for people that drink, eat? There;s always gonna be something that they say is a health "hazard". Heck even prescription medicines that doctors prescribed can cause medical health problems. (and yes I know smoking and drinking is not healthy, but that's an individual's choice to do what they want to do).
  • armymil
    Options
    I totally agree with your view point on this. There is that new show about the plus size models- and how they are all about accepting themselves, loving themselves, etc- I'm all about that- but then in the show, they complain over and over again about how it's hard to meet men, how self conscience they feel sometimes, etc.

Sigh, I got forced into watching it. "Honey, watch this with me." -- "Fine.."

The women on there keep talking about how they want someone to return their call. Someone to be there the next day. They did a really poor time of making obese look fun. The one woman looks like a clown. She is a makeup artist or whatever. I don't have a preference of size but I couldnt date a clown!

Edit: She looks better without makeup.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    A couple points from different posts I want to answer here, so rather than quote them separately I'll just hit them all. First, as I said before, I don't believe discrimination is the way to go. It doesn't help the problem any and as illogical as it seems can actually make the issue worse. People should not be passed over for promotions, should not be treated as second class citizens and should not be ridiculed for their condition. However, at the same time we have to stop acting like this condition is OK either.

The comments that a person's obesity, smoking or other life choices do not affect me are completely false. The fact of the matter is obesity leads to more medical problems and thus more doctors visits. More doctor visits lead to high healthcare costs and health insurance premiums for all. Also you can add in the costs of modifications to facilities to accomodate the ever growing size of people, those modifications add to costs all over the place. I can go on but you get the point.

Now again, let me repeat, that does not give anyone the right to be judgemental of another person based solely on their weight condition. We all have our struggles in life, some are more publically visible than others. So we need to be accepting and compassionate toward all of our companions on this earth, but it doesn't mean that we should treat Obesity like it's OK and not a problem. There is a difference between accepting the person and accepting a common condition as normal.
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I know local hospitals have told all their employees that they have 2yrs to quit smoking, or they will not have a job.

I'd tell them where to stick it! They have no right telling you want you can or cannot do in your personal time. I'd just sue them for unfair dismissal!

Actually, depending on where you live they may in fact have the right to do just that. Smokers' rights vary by state here in the US, and employers may have the right to fire employees based on the fact that they smoke in the privacy of their homes.

My company has started requiring staff members on health insurance plan to meet criteria in certain key health areas: BMI, blood pressure, cholesterol, etc. They have a specific range that is considered "healthy" for each area. If you or your insured family members do not fall within the healthy range, you are currently required to see a doctor and complete a certain number of sessions with the health insurance company's counseling service. If you don't complete these requirements, you lose your discount on the company insurance and your health insurance costs will go up by about 50%. Starting next year, staff & insured family will also be required to show improvement in those areas where they are out of the healthy range to retain their discount. I can only assume the day is coming when everyone will be required to fall within the healthy range to retain their insurance discounts. I work for a company founded to promote healthy lifestyles, so there is certainly extra motivation for our staff members to "walk the talk".