New. Brutally Honest.

Options
KAnderson5778
KAnderson5778 Posts: 5 Member
edited December 2023 in Getting Started
I'm 52y female, have been in steep caloric deficit for years due to ongoing medical issues & inability to eat(chew/swallow/keep food down). This had ruined my metabolism, added more weight than I've ever had(90 xtra lbs) and affected my ability to exercise(arthritis). I was going 2 or 3 days without eating. My body just shut down. So to say I'm starting at the beginning is a vast understatement. In 2 wks since starting, I've gone from 300 steps/day &
300 cal/ every 3 days to forcing myself to do 6000 steps/day and 1000 cal/day. I'm too ashamed to be a member of a group, join a challenge, or ask for friends because I barely have encouraging words for myself, let alone other members. That isn't fair to others. But I worry on the days I'm not able to get my 6000 steps, shouldn't I be eating less calories? But that's how I ended up in this spot. Yet calories in vs. calories burned is supposed to be the answer. I log all of my food & my steps but I'm stuck in a warped mind loop & can't see my way thru. Brutally honest hot mess, sorry for the ramble. Anyone have thoughts.

Answers

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    Because of your medical issues, I'm reluctant to offer advice other than to ask your doctor for a referral to a registered dietitian and a physical therapist.

But good job increasing slowly! Keep up the good work :smiley:

I had major surgery a year ago and the first day taking 10 steps to the bathroom was a chore. I liked having a Fitbit and challenging myself to walk more each day. Also, because it was open abdominal surgery, I struggled to put underwear on initially - I couldn't lift my legs. But that's all better now.

Good for you for recognizing your pattern of negative self talk. I think therapy would be helpful. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy can also be really effective for food issues/losing weight.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    I, too, think you could benefit from therapy. Your situation is complicated and trying a "do-it-yourself" could harm you further. Find the right person to talk to, keep looking until it clicks. Best of luck.
  • whimsy38
    whimsy38 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I posted Friday about how losing the shame made all the difference for me and how hard it can be to see beyond it. The fact that you are here saying this is a huge step.

An important step also is to recognize how your actions and thoughts are completely understandable given all the circumstances. Combat any thoughts that you are especially bad or broken or undeserving to be in this place.

I does sound like therapy would be helpful for the level of trauma you’ve experienced, but recognize that you are already taking some good action by setting little daily goals. Try to keep that up. Think about making tiny improvements one at a time. Try not to focus on the entire distance you have to go.

I hope you’ll keep us updated! <3