Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Partner Sabotage

Options
Do you think most SOs want us to look better or Do you think they want us to stay gross . ? Anyone else feel like their other is secretly trying to make them ruin their diet .

Replies

• peggy_polenta
    peggy_polenta Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    gross?
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I always feel like my husband is helping me with goals instead of sabotaging. I do the same for him. I want him to be his best self for the long haul and he wants to have a partner that can travel and be active for the long haul.

We’ve both had parents with terminal cancer and we were both the primary care giver.. so healthy choices and support are important to us. We align that the time to attempt to prevent possible disease is now. (We hope)

It’s a priority for us to be the most fit and healthy versions of ourselves. Sometimes we both need help with discipline.. so we encourage each other. It’s not always perfect but we try.

If you are struggling with support for your goals .. why not have a heart to heart with significant other about teaming up for both of your success?
  • JoLightensUp
    JoLightensUp Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I agree with a lot of the above, especially that your SO might be simply unaware of the impact of their behaviour.

I would also consider what role food has in your relationship. For example, if Friday night takeaway or Saturday night drinks has been an enjoyable ritual for you both and you announce that you can't do these anymore because of your diet, you might get pushback. (Of course I don't know if this sort of thing is actually happening, just giving an example. And it could be more subtle than that.)

If you have decided to lose weight, you have presumably adjusted your priorities and are trying to make food and lifestyle changes. You would hope for a partner's support, but it's hard to expect an SO to be instantly onboard with everything, especially if it also impacts their lifestyle and things they enjoy.

Also, I think weight loss discussions can be simply boring for others, unless they have similar goals or interests. So you might get negativity there too.

As for me, my husband and I support and encourage each other, but not perfectly. There are times that you could probably say we "sabotage" each other, in that one tempts the other into eating something they may not otherwise have had (not necessarily deliberately), but I think that's just life with another person. I would say there are more times that we encourage each other to exercise or eat well. And it's a changing process. There are times when one of us has been more committed than the other. Again...life.

It helps that our overall goal is the same - to be a healthy weight and reasonably fit and active. We are at an age where it's not just about looking less "gross" (as you put it), but also trying not to keel over from a heart attack or stroke anytime soon!

• mmatcha_latte
    mmatcha_latte Posts: 117 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    My husband has never struggled with his weight and is able to naturally adjust his intake to maintain a steady weight so he truly doesn't understand yoyoing, having to track calories, etc. He would sometimes bring me a piece of candy or offer to get me favourite junk foods like bubble tea completely unprompted and I asked him to please stop doing that while I'm losing weight, to which he has been receptive.

I also had to sit him down and explain what I need to do to lose and maintain weight and that it is difficult for me, both physically and mentally. I explained a bit about how I use the app, briefly showed him through it, etc, and now that he understands, he is incredibly supportive. He even offered to add recipes into the app for me since I find that part tedious.

If it seems like your SO is sabotaging you then try to have a discussion with them about your goals and how their behaviour is being unsupportive. They should respect your efforts of wanting to get healthier.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,918 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    I dont know what my ex wanted.
    Before I married him I weighed 140-160.
    While I was married for 20 years I gained up to 260.
    When I got divorced I lost to 220 and maintained.
    He finally quit calling 3 times a week and coming to the house once a month or so. This morning I weighed 173, on my way to 164?
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    People should want their spouses to be healthly. In most cases that means losing some weight and exercising more.
  • threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    People should want their spouses to be healthly. In most cases that means losing some weight and exercising more.

Funny thing is that 2/3 of married people want their spouse to lose weight (I just searched for a link to that number but can't find it, if I ever find it again I'll post the link). It roughly corresponds to the percentage of overweight people in the population.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Sabotage means that they are either force feeding you with foods that don't assist your goals, or are lying about whatever food/drink they are giving to you. No one can force you to eat what you don't want. You can be tempted and urged, but it still comes down you to making your own decision.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Yes, in many cases, "He's sabotaging me!" might actually mean I am not taking responsibility for my own actions.

I do agree with all the other points about love language etc., but it's important to consider our own agency as well.
  • VeryHungryCatepillar45
    VeryHungryCatepillar45 Posts: 15 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options

People should want their partner to be happy. They should not expect someone to change to meet what they think they should be.

Often, this can be a painful realization. You have no control over other’s appearance or lifestyle. You only have control over your own body and actions.

Say your partner becomes a drug addict. What are you going to do? Lock them in a room until they do what you want (and what is probably better for them health wise)? Who does that make you? Where does that leave your “partnership”?

You cannot make a person be the person you need them to be. That is a painful exercise in control and futility. It only ends in terrible things.

Love people for who they are. And if you can’t… walk away. Anything else will be sabotaging everyone’s happiness.

I am very overweight, now, it was not always that way. That is why I am here. My partner is not. He can leave at any time if he does not understand my struggle. But he stays … and I stay because we both understand that we are separate people with our own struggles who support each other. Whatever we might need at the time.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options

People should want their partner to be happy. They should not expect someone to change to meet what they think they should be.

Often, this can be a painful realization. You have no control over other’s appearance or lifestyle. You only have control over your own body and actions.

Say your partner becomes a drug addict. What are you going to do? Lock them in a room until they do what you want (and what is probably better for them health wise)? Who does that make you? Where does that leave your “partnership”?

You cannot make a person be the person you need them to be. That is a painful exercise in control and futility. It only ends in terrible things.

Love people for who they are. And if you can’t… walk away. Anything else will be sabotaging everyone’s happiness.

I am very overweight, now, it was not always that way. That is why I am here. My partner is not. He can leave at any time if he does not understand my struggle. But he stays … and I stay because we both understand that we are separate people with our own struggles who support each other. Whatever we might need at the time.

Unhealthy people are rarely happy.

If my partner became a drug addict, I would not lock them in a room but I would get them help (which could involve rebab, which some could consider being locked in a room).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options

Unhealthy people are rarely happy.

If my partner became a drug addict, I would not lock them in a room but I would get them help (which could involve rebab, which some could consider being locked in a room).

I have a friend in Substance Use Disorder rehab right now. She just texted for the first time in three weeks. She's working to get more privileges. I think we can consider her to be locked up :lol:

I've taken a housemate to detox and visited friends there. I wouldn't take a partner - I'd leave. I've left people NOT bad enough to require detox. I can't imagine being in a relationship with people like those I know who have gone to detox. It's painful enough being friends.