Why is this such a big deal in Zumba/studio classes

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
So the other day when I instructed class, I had to diffuse two women arguing about a "spot" on the floor in class. Each was claiming that it was their space. Both have attended my classes but this was the first time that both did together. Both usually take the same spot (at the front of the class).
I know people have their preferred spots that they like to go to in a class, but if the class is full, you take any spot open right? I've only had this happen a couple of times in my class, but I have had one of my peers who teaches Zumba go through this on a regular basis.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    Women are sooooooo competitive, territorial, and argumentative generally...and I'm a woman so I deal with this kind of Karen behavior on a regular basis.

Ego. Entitlement. Princess.

Sorry, ladies, but it's true.

To be fair, men do the same type stuff, just not at Zumba. Haven't you ever overheard raised voices from men in the weight room over stations or re-racking or wiping down or whatever?

Ego. Entitlement. King baby.

:lol:
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Women are sooooooo competitive, territorial, and argumentative generally...and I'm a woman so I deal with this kind of Karen behavior on a regular basis.

Ego. Entitlement. Princess.

Sorry, ladies, but it's true.

To be fair, men do the same type stuff, just not at Zumba. Haven't you ever overheard raised voices from men in the weight room over stations or re-racking or wiping down or whatever?

Ego. Entitlement. King baby.

:lol:
    We don't have a reracking issue in my gym because it's enforced (mostly by me) and we let all new clients know about the policy early. We don't even allow crocs or slippers to be worn on gym floor.
    What the men will argue about is TIME ON EQUIPMENT. Some dudes camp out on benches or with dumbbells for long periods of time.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,122 Member
    Options
    People are creatures of habit, regardless of gender.

Anecdote: I once had a multi-day training at work and I was the first to arrive in the classroom the second day. I (intentionally) sat down in a different spot and I could just see the disturbed look on the others' faces as they entered and saw I wasn't follow the previous day's seating 😄

In zumba and similar classes, I can imagine the moves/choreography might be harder to follow if your viewpoint is very different from usual?
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I understand it--that doesn't mean it's worth fighting over.

I always have the same place in acquagym, I'm tall and want to be in deep water, and I've been doing this for 27 years so have difficulty with newbies that crowd because they have trouble staying in the same place. I like deep water at the end of the pool and I'm usually by myself. HOWEVER, sometimes someone takes that spot and I just go to another.

Tai Chi is harder because to see the moves it's easiest in the middle. On the fringes, once you do a turn, you can wind up by yourself with no one to watch.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,172 Member
    Options
    Mostly, I'm with riverside, but with a couple of wrinkles.

Having worked for 30 years in a male dominated field, I think men do the same kind of thing, just over slightly different issues, and expressing it in somewhat different ways.

IMO, there are two ways to think of it abstractly: Honor culture (writ small) or ranking behavior. Honor culture, loosely: "If I am affronted, I must reclaim my honor by action." a.k.a. "Nobody going to diss me!" Ranking behavior: "We will establish a social hierarchy, a pecking order. If my position in the Proper Order is challenged, I will reassert myself to hold my place." Honor culture and ranking behavior are interrelated, but not identical. Exceptions may apply for people who are not neurotypical.

I think (some) women may be more likely to act out over small social slights because of not feeling empowered in larger things in their lives. IMO, it's not so much a strong ego, as a weak one that has to be defended because of an inner sense of being on a slippery slope to even less power. I'm not going to belabor this, but in the workplace, women with less power seemed more likely to vociferously defend small things.

In some ways, in some people, it's easier to let small things go if it doesn't chip away at an already weak ego to do so. IME, it's more likely to be stronger people who are able to let small things go.

I did see the same thing, to some extent, in the regular spin classes I attended twice a week pre-pandemic . . . but with the wrinkle that the whole set of class regulars knew who was touchy about "their bike" and would guide newbies who arrived before that person to a different bike. We also knew who was flexible/didn't care. :D
    Lietchi wrote: »

Anecdote: I once had a multi-day training at work and I was the first to arrive in the classroom the second day. I (intentionally) sat down in a different spot and I could just see the disturbed look on the others' faces as they entered and saw I wasn't follow the previous day's seating 😄

In zumba and similar classes, I can imagine the moves/choreography might be harder to follow if your viewpoint is very different from usual?

Yup to the general observation. Our management team (15+ people) had recurring meetings. Noticing that people always sat in the same spot, I started making it a point to sit in different places each time, including sometimes sitting in "someone else's spot". It was interesting. Initially people were a little rattled, but eventually it seemed like the group as a whole loosened up.
    (snip)

Tai Chi is harder because to see the moves it's easiest in the middle. On the fringes, once you do a turn, you can wind up by yourself with no one to watch.

When I was advisor (and participant but not instructor) in the local university kung fu and Tai Chi club, we made new participants stand in the best spot up front, so they could see/follow better. With that particular form, the best spot was in front, somewhat to the instructor's left, participants' right. That was because more complicated-to-follow things happened more in the "to your left" direction.

It was a group culture thing, like another rule we had that no one was allowed to watch: They had to participate, or were asked to leave.

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Mostly, I'm with riverside, but with a couple of wrinkles.

Having worked for 30 years in a male dominated field, I think men do the same kind of thing, just over slightly different issues, and expressing it in somewhat different ways.

IMO, there are two ways to think of it abstractly: Honor culture (writ small) or ranking behavior. Honor culture, loosely: "If I am affronted, I must reclaim my honor by action." a.k.a. "Nobody going to diss me!" Ranking behavior: "We will establish a social hierarchy, a pecking order. If my position in the Proper Order is challenged, I will reassert myself to hold my place." Honor culture and ranking behavior are interrelated, but not identical. Exceptions may apply for people who are not neurotypical.

I think (some) women may be more likely to act out over small social slights because of not feeling empowered in larger things in their lives. IMO, it's not so much a strong ego, as a weak one that has to be defended because of an inner sense of being on a slippery slope to even less power. I'm not going to belabor this, but in the workplace, women with less power seemed more likely to vociferously defend small things.

In some ways, in some people, it's easier to let small things go if it doesn't chip away at an already weak ego to do so. IME, it's more likely to be stronger people who are able to let small things go.

I did see the same thing, to some extent, in the regular spin classes I attended twice a week pre-pandemic . . . but with the wrinkle that the whole set of class regulars knew who was touchy about "their bike" and would guide newbies who arrived before that person to a different bike. We also knew who was flexible/didn't care. :D

Yup to the general observation. Our management team (15+ people) had recurring meetings. Noticing that people always sat in the same spot, I started making it a point to sit in different places each time, including sometimes sitting in "someone else's spot". It was interesting. Initially people were a little rattled, but eventually it seemed like the group as a whole loosened up.
    (snip)

When I was advisor (and participant but not instructor) in the local university kung fu and Tai Chi club, we made new participants stand in the best spot up front, so they could see/follow better. With that particular form, the best spot was in front, somewhat to the instructor's left, participants' right. That was because more complicated-to-follow things happened more in the "to your left" direction.

It was a group culture thing, like another rule we had that no one was allowed to watch: They had to participate, or were asked to leave.

Problem is ---in Tai Chi most of us are fairly new to it.

There can be other reasons why people want a certain place. In Yogaflex class I have a hard time hearing the instructor if I'm up close to him and the music (it's a little loud even though it's supposed to be calming). Since we're down on the floor, I have to hear. I have a hearing aid and if I wind up in the back, I can't hear him either. So, I need to be in the middle. When someone is insisting on a certain spot, it may be for reasons we don't know. I try to give people a little slack, and hope they do the same for me.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,930 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    I'm a good follower, I'm terrible at memorizing. I've been line dancing for maybe 20 years. People try to put me on the ends so I can lead in 4-wall dances. BIG MISTAKE. And all the instructors know it. But other participants just don't get it, keep pushing me to the ends. I'll fight for my space.
    Any other class, pick your space. I'll find a spot.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    2z2aje.jpg
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Since I'm in a studio, all the walls are covered in mirrors, so you can see just about every angle I choreography class. Maybe, but I don't think that's the real issue.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,122 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Since I'm in a studio, all the walls are covered in mirrors, so you can see just about every angle I choreography class. Maybe, but I don't think that's the real issue.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I've never done a zumba class in my life, but trying to follow a choreography while looking at mirror images of it sounds like a recipe for disaster :mrgreen:
    But yeah, even if that was an issue, it probably wouldn't be only or major reason.
  • Brigit_1
    Brigit_1 Posts: 209 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

It's probably pure entitlement. It doesn't make sense but some people feel they have so little control in their lives so they try to grasp at the one thing they can control, in this case a spot in a class.

It's sad really.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,470 Member
    Options
    It could be any number of simple reasons why that’s a prime spot that have nothing to do with ego or whatever.

My hot yoga studio has a hump down the middle of the floor that makes me nuts. The back door leaks cold air. There’s spots that have snotty looking tape gum from Covid spacing markings. My absolute favorite spot is front row right, where the heat blows out. I also prefer front row because I know I work harder being in front.

Regulars know to save that spot for me. If someone new takes it, the class erupts into apologies when I come, which tickles me.

OTOH, my cardio instructor asked me not to use the front row any more.She was afraid someone would get hurt trying to copy me. So sometimes instructors have valid input, too.
  • RenaPink11
    RenaPink11 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I go to whatever empty spot is there when I walk in. I will move to a different spot if my view is blocked I'm fairly new to Zumba class, so I like to see the instructor's feet so I can attempt to know what I am doing. LOL

It's petty and they're acting entitled. There's enough room in the front row for more than one person.

• JaysFan82
    JaysFan82 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Lol if I see someone on the treadmill that I prefer at the gym I internally get highly annoyed.
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I disagree with the idea that women are more prone to bad Karen-like behaviour than men. I’ve got a lot of years on me and have seen bad behaviour in both men and women.
    I believe it’s a lack of manners, and rudeness that shows up. Teach children to be considerate and they’ll grow up as considerate adults if you’re lucky.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I rarely get annoyed, but ocassionally there will be members who try to stay in the studio on the floor doing floor exercises or their own individual exercising WHILE I'm about to start class or come in during class (people are allowed since we do have the smaller dumbbells and bars in the studio) and try to workout. They can obviously see a class is going on, but will scurry into a corner. But in my class we use the walls (to lean on for isolation kicks) and move on the floor while kicking and with a crowded floor, they take up space to move freely. It's a pain to tell them they have to leave while I'm on the mic.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • fitnessgal1968
    fitnessgal1968 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yeah this has happened at my gym in the group fitness classes. I don't understand it. To me it's not a big deal but these women act like their name is engraved on that spot!
  • fitnessgal1968
    fitnessgal1968 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    JaysFan82 wrote: »
    Lol if I see someone on the treadmill that I prefer at the gym I internally get highly annoyed.

I am so like that!!! I give the evil eye and when they look at me I smile swetly!!🤣🤣🤣
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Yeah this has happened at my gym in the group fitness classes. I don't understand it. To me it's not a big deal but these women act like their name is engraved on that spot!
    I used to do water fitness as a substitute and people that do water fitness are ADAMANT about their spots. Likely because half the time they really aren't even paying attention to the workout but gabbing up a storm the person next to them.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png