Why is this such a big deal in Zumba/studio classes

Options
2»

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,908 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Yeah this has happened at my gym in the group fitness classes. I don't understand it. To me it's not a big deal but these women act like their name is engraved on that spot!
    I used to do water fitness as a substitute and people that do water fitness are ADAMANT about their spots. Likely because half the time they really aren't even paying attention to the workout but gabbing up a storm the person next to them.

My trainer teaches some of the aquafit classes at our gym.

While training, I carelessly mentioned something about the Gossip Corner, and she just about lost it laughing. She knew instantly what I was talking about.

🤦🏻‍♀️ need to watch for tongue slippage. Bad habit.

• Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 3,140 Member
    Options
    I do water aerobics. I get there early, straight to the gossip corner. When class is about to start, I move away fast! I'm there for exercise, not gossip-- that's just a fun extra. Lol
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Corina1143 wrote: »
    I do water aerobics. I get there early, straight to the gossip corner. When class is about to start, I move away fast! I'm there for exercise, not gossip-- that's just a fun extra. Lol
    I'd do classes and have to repeat the exercises instruction like 3 times because only a few would start doing it, while the others are still doing the previous exercise and talking. :D

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • fitnessgal1968
    fitnessgal1968 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yeah this has happened at my gym in the group fitness classes. I don't understand it. To me it's not a big deal but these women act like their name is engraved on that spot!
    I used to do water fitness as a substitute and people that do water fitness are ADAMANT about their spots. Likely because half the time they really aren't even paying attention to the workout but gabbing up a storm the person next to them.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

🤣🤣🤣
  • fitnessgal1968
    fitnessgal1968 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Is this what I have to look forward to??? I'm getting certified for Group Fitness Training. I paid my tuition and had my Orientation class today.
  • springlering62
    Options
    Is this what I have to look forward to??? I'm getting certified for Group Fitness Training. I paid my tuition and had my Orientation class today.

1.) aquafit: gossip corner
    People who can’t hear you
    Complaints about playlist
    Complaints you’re too fast, too slow, too hard, too easy
    Looooots of Dad jokes if you’ve got male
    Participants (hey, it tends towards an old group)

2.) cardio: people who come late and spend 10 minutes gathering and arranging equipment
    People who start putting up equipment 20 minutes early and disrupt the whole class while doing it
    People who think cooldown is an invitation to start talking to their friends ad talk over you
    People who start out with too-heavy weights, can’t finish a set and either stop and stare pitifully or angrily or out them down and cross their arms
    People who throw down weights and plates like they’re hot potatoes at the end of a set
    Pissing, moaning, bellyaching
    That there will always be someone(s) who think the class is too easy and go off on a tangent and their own thing

All classes. People who register, take up a space and don’t show up. People who don’t register and you don’t get credit for it.

People who don’t wipe their equipment. Put it back in the wrong spot. Don’t put it back at all. Expect you to put it back. Want to stand around and talk 30 minutes after class.

*not an instructor, nor would I ever want to be.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    I don't know, I think any job is like that. People are annoying, full stop.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Depends on your classes. I instruct kickboxing and ocassionally I'll sub in for like a sculpt class or bootcamp. But the majority of attendees of group fitness classes are classically bad in form and unfortunately you can't go and correct everyone. You can only cue them and hope they do it right.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options

1.) aquafit: gossip corner
    People who can’t hear you
    Complaints about playlist
    Complaints you’re too fast, too slow, too hard, too easy
    Looooots of Dad jokes if you’ve got male
    Participants (hey, it tends towards an old group)

2.) cardio: people who come late and spend 10 minutes gathering and arranging equipment
    People who start putting up equipment 20 minutes early and disrupt the whole class while doing it
    People who think cooldown is an invitation to start talking to their friends ad talk over you
    People who start out with too-heavy weights, can’t finish a set and either stop and stare pitifully or angrily or out them down and cross their arms
    People who throw down weights and plates like they’re hot potatoes at the end of a set
    Pissing, moaning, bellyaching
    That there will always be someone(s) who think the class is too easy and go off on a tangent and their own thing

All classes. People who register, take up a space and don’t show up. People who don’t register and you don’t get credit for it.

People who don’t wipe their equipment. Put it back in the wrong spot. Don’t put it back at all. Expect you to put it back. Want to stand around and talk 30 minutes after class.

*not an instructor, nor would I ever want to be.
    Lol ALL OF THIS!!!! And of course AFTER class you'll have the ocassional attendee wanting to take up 5-10 minutes of your time telling you how they been doing, their achievements and their family.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• history_grrrl
    history_grrrl Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I don’t have any particular insight about this but do want to say that I appreciate the feminist voices present in this discussion and, related to that, consideration of larger context when trying to understand individual behaviour and group dynamics (as opposed to, group X is culturally such-and-such a way).

For myself, I’ve never had an issue with other students. I have disliked classes with instructors who don’t give explicit instructions about what to do but simply say, “Watch me and do what I do.” I also have one eye that’s basically useless, so I do need to position myself so my good eye can see what’s going on.

• ninerbuff
    Options
    I don’t have any particular insight about this but do want to say that I appreciate the feminist voices present in this discussion and, related to that, consideration of larger context when trying to understand individual behaviour and group dynamics (as opposed to, group X is culturally such-and-such a way).

For myself, I’ve never had an issue with other students. I have disliked classes with instructors who don’t give explicit instructions about what to do but simply say, “Watch me and do what I do.” I also have one eye that’s basically useless, so I do need to position myself so my good eye can see what’s going on.
    Many dance classes are that way. Zumba is basically continuos dancing and many who've been there long enough catch onto the choreography, however if you're new at it and not really coordinated to catch up fast, it can be frustrating.
    In my kbox class, we do everything in sets, so I show the move, do it half speed, then after about a set go to full speed.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• history_grrrl
    history_grrrl Posts: 215 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Many dance classes are that way. Zumba is basically continuos dancing and many who've been there long enough catch onto the choreography, however if you're new at it and not really coordinated to catch up fast, it can be frustrating.
    In my kbox class, we do everything in sets, so I show the move, do it half speed, then after about a set go to full speed.
    Yes, I’ve experienced the “just watch me” approach in a few yoga classes (many years ago; I’ve had various wonderful instructors since) and with one particular aquatic fitness instructor who probably wasn’t used to a new person showing up even though it was a drop-in class. I switched to a different class because I just could not follow along, especially when she was in the pool.

• SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    nevemrind
  • springlering62
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Yes, I’ve experienced the “just watch me” approach in a few yoga classes (many years ago; I’ve had various wonderful instructors since) and with one particular aquatic fitness instructor who probably wasn’t used to a new person showing up even though it was a drop-in class. I switched to a different class because I just could not follow along, especially when she was in the pool.

Oh wow. I’m so sorry you experienced that. Our instructors’ approach is to demonstrate the basic pose, then level 2, then the most advanced version. Everyone is encouraged to try, but also encouraged to master what’ s at their own level. They make a huge effort to make sure all levels are accommodated, that getting into the pose is slowly walked through, and that those wanting more challenge have that as well.

Some instructors even give everyone a “hands on” or “hands off” card so they can choose their level of assistance and if they want hands on adjustment. They are also careful to ask before class who is new, or considers themselves inexperienced.