Hello!

Options
Hi! My name is Sandy and I live in Northern Idaho. I have a thyroid disease which makes losing weight difficult so I'm looking forward tobseeing if this helps.
Anyone else here have Hashimotos?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Hi and welcome, Sandy!

I don't have Hashi's AFAIK, but am severely hypothyroid (properly medicated for it). Calorie counting worked great for me to lose from class 1 obese to a healthy weight back in 2015-16. I've been at a healthy weight since, now age 68 (so menopausal and all that jazz).

This may not be the perfect route for everyone - no one thing is universally perfect, IMO. But it can work, if a person finds it suitable to their personality, and commits to do it consistently.

Best wishes for success - the results are worth it!
  • cjohnson9799
    cjohnson9799 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi Sandy -

Recently diagnosed with hashimotos. Been on MFP several different times. Looking forward to trying it again!

Would love to be friends.
  • herblovinmom
    herblovinmom Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Hi! My name is Sandy and I live in Northern Idaho. I have a thyroid disease which makes losing weight difficult so I'm looking forward tobseeing if this helps.
    Anyone else here have Hashimotos?
    Welcome! I too have Hashimotos.. there’s a thyroid group with lots of helpful information if your interested.. good luck on your journey..
  • LauraAnn52
    LauraAnn52 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi Sandy, I had Graves’ disease and was treated with radioactive iodine when I was young. Now I have an underactive thyroid and take a synthetic thyroid hormone. I have had a weight problem most of my adult life. Easy to gain, difficult to lose. But I keep at it. In the past few years I have lost 50 pounds using MFP and T.O.P.S. I was doing well until I was in a car accident last month. haven’t been to exercise class since. I have gained a few pounds. I hope to get back on track soon.
    Best wishes to you on your weight loss journey!
  • willettaj
    willettaj Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Good morning! W. Jackson here, I'm a thyroid cancer survivor and am having issues with weightloss. I'm 48 and my thyroid levels are all out of wack. As of late my cholesterol is high and my blood pressure. I've been on MFP for years, but haven't used it to its fullest ability! I go to the gym, but have severe arthritis in my back. I'm limited on walking, jogging, sit ups things off that nature. I just know I need to get this weight off of me! Healthy food choices and being active will help me.
    Happy holidays!
  • eileenbrown1022
    eileenbrown1022 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    willettaj wrote: »
    Good morning! W. Jackson here, I'm a thyroid cancer survivor and am having issues with weightloss. I'm 48 and my thyroid levels are all out of wack. As of late my cholesterol is high and my blood pressure. I've been on MFP for years, but haven't used it to its fullest ability! I go to the gym, but have severe arthritis in my back. I'm limited on walking, jogging, sit ups things off that nature. I just know I need to get this weight off of me! Healthy food choices and being active will help me.
    Happy holidays!

My thyroid levels are out of whack too. for 2 years now since gallbladder surgery. i was gonna ask my doctor for a ultrasound to be safe. so losing weight is a struggle. I hope you and everyone has a healthy and happy holiday season!!!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    BTW, for any who might not have seen it, there's a good thread here about hypothyroidism and weight management:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10767046/hypothyroidism-and-weight-management

The OP was written by a (former) MFP-er who was a scientist in the field, himself hypothyroid, who lost weight via calorie counting. Unlike a lot of (mis)information on the web, it's solid, science-based facts. He also answers some of people's questions later in the thread.
  • lynle0423
    lynle0423 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone! I got a double whammy. I have Graves Disease, had my thyroid fully removed in March 2023, and now have Hashimotos. That wasn't a surprise though. We knew I would go to the next extreme as I had Hashi markers from the beginning. My weight is now over 200 lbs and I am looking to return to a normal weight of at least 150lbs. My goal is 120 lbs but I would be happy at 150. I am 50 years old, mother of 2 adult girls, and have the most wonderful husband in the world. We reside in San Antonio, Texas. I have not exercised consistently in months as I work 2 jobs and go to school. I am currently on a school break and trying to re-vamp my life (schedule) to fit in all the things that need to be done during the day.

I hope everyone had a great Holiday and I am looking forward to the new year!
  • cjohnson9799
    cjohnson9799 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hey!! I have just been diagnosed with Hashimotos as well. I’m 52 and trying to lose weight and just be healthier in general. I’m looking for friends with similar circumstances!!