whole year past and i gained nothing

Options
Hi all

I have been on a weight loss journey for 4 years now, [ My stats: 164 cm height, CW: 59 -60 kg ]. Last year i lost only 4 KILOS, i felt frustrated. Then year 2023 came and will end and i have lost NOTHING.

come to my calories ( previously i was eating around 1650 -1750, in 2022 i started lowering it to 1500, only one day a week i would go above a little since i meet people for dinner.

since i was big ( 98 kg) I lost weight but I don't feel good about how my body looks since there is a little loose skin here and there. My goal weight is 50 kg since I'm still holding fat, " I'm pear-shaped" so i think i need to lose more ( according to my smart scale and i have tried an Inbody they gave me around 26%-28% BF). Currently i workout 3 days a week, as for calories i tried playing with calories to see what fits i was with PT who advised me to eat at surplus to body recomp which i did for a few months i was eating 1700-1800 but i saw the scale going up then i stopped. after that another one advised that if i wanna see weight come off i should consume 1300 -1400 cal or i won't see any progress which i started to believe right now since this year has past and no change, the thing is i tried doing it but its not sustainable at all

im afraid if i lower more than that i will damage my metabolism and i will gain all the weight back even if i eat a little and sometimes i cannot control it since i become so hungry after workout.

I would love to hear your input.

Answers

• Sett2023
    Sett2023 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Wait for opinions of people more experienced than me, but here my two cents (obviously don't know about your habits, so perhaps you already do these, or you tried and wasn't useful; in thi case, ignore me).

I lost and kept losing by 1) walking every day (10k steps for ten years; then, lately, I went up to 20k - no other exercise, no workout, I only walk) and 2) by switching some sweet snacks a day (I still have two or three sweet things every day, no renounce, only a more healthy quantity) for more meals' calories and more satiating and healthy snacks. So, more healthy/complete food ---> more satiety ---> less sugar. (Those snacks I substituted with other healthy and satisfying food, and I even had to increase the number because lessening the sugar brought me to be always under my calories: a chunk of parmesan; some nuts; a square of dark chocolate; fruits; soy yogurt.)
    What I noticed in these 10 years is that when I stopped walking, my body seemed to go sleeping, and I stopped losing/regained. As if walking is a sort of losing-trigger.

Good luck!
  • hsg27t7fpc
    hsg27t7fpc Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey , I have had many clients hit this type of a wall with their weight loss goals, some times it’s not just about the calories but more what type of foods the calories are coming from and when in the day they are consumed. If you have reached the point were you feel like simple calorie restriction isn’t working for you any more , I would consider using intermittent fasting or keto(many versions I like carnivor). The body has a great way of getting used to working against your weight loss goals as it likes to remain homeostasis… so you have to keep chopping and changing to not allow it to get stuck … if you need more details just replie to post and I’ll send over more information.
  • 0Leena0
    0Leena0 Posts: 61 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    hsg27t7fpc wrote: »
    Hey , I have had many clients hit this type of a wall with their weight loss goals, some times it’s not just about the calories but more what type of foods the calories are coming from and when in the day they are consumed. If you have reached the point were you feel like simple calorie restriction isn’t working for you any more , I would consider using intermittent fasting or keto(many versions I like carnivor). The body has a great way of getting used to working against your weight loss goals as it likes to remain homeostasis… so you have to keep chopping and changing to not allow it to get stuck … if you need more details just replie to post and I’ll send over more information.

thank you for stopping by, I don't know if what i do is intermittent fasting but I stop eating at 6 or 7 pm, i would love to hear more info of course.

I have been hearing good reviews about Uzembk so i might have them as a last resort
  • threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    I have a few questions if you don't mind me asking. So far, in 2023, how many days were you actively trying to lose weight? Second question, how many times in 2023 did you weigh yourself? For example, I "actively" tried to lose weight 50-100 days, weighed myself maybe 340 times and I lost 5 kilograms.
  • 0Leena0
    Options
    threewins wrote: »
    I have a few questions if you don't mind me asking. So far, in 2023, how many days were you actively trying to lose weight? Second question, how many times in 2023 did you weigh yourself? For example, I "actively" tried to lose weight 50-100 days, weighed myself maybe 340 times and I lost 5 kilograms.

the whole year, i never stopped ( the incidents with the PTs happened this year ) i weigh every week, i like to keep track
  • 0Leena0
    Options
    1. Unless you are completely sedentary and very small, height-wise, there no way you're eating 1300-1400 for a year and not lost weight. So I would say it's your food logging.
    2. If you've been logging food diligently and using a food scale, then I'd say see your doctor.

no no i was not eating 1300 -1400 for the year this happened after i talked to the second PT in the late of this year and as i mentioned i managed some days but other its not
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    pause in weight loss that lasts more than about 6 weeks is due to being at maintenance calories. The fix is fewer calories and/or more activity or a combo of both however the prior is generally more effective.

You are most likely taking in more WEEKLY calories than you think, either by not counting everything EVERY DAY, not logging higher days or underestimating calories you actually log.

There is no starvation mode so eliminate that from your thought process.
  • history_grrrl
    history_grrrl Posts: 212 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Unless I’ve got this wrong, translated into US-speak, you are about 5’4”, started out weighing 216 pounds, and now weigh about 130. That is phenomenal progress in 4 years, and you really have very little left to lose. Can you clarify your typical daily or weekly calorie intake from food and calorie expenditure from exercise? I found this a bit hard to follow.
  • lesdarts180
    lesdarts180 Posts: 2,730 Member
    Options
    0Leena0 wrote: »
    Hi all

since i was big ( 98 kg) I lost weight but I don't feel good about how my body looks since there is a little loose skin here and there. My goal weight is 50 kg

I would love to hear your input.

I think your goal is a little low - for comparison, I weigh around 50 kg but I'm a little old lady only about 152 cm tall. You have 12cm on me (nearly 5 inches).

Saying that, you have done really well to drop nearly 40 kg in the last few years! Congratulate yourself!

Track your calories over the whole week to take into account those days when you eat out, you may be shocked at how much "over" you are on those days.

Stick with it, you have been maintaining your weight which is a really good thing!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,658 Member
    Options
    Emergency re-frame issue which is also reflected in the conflicting advice you're getting from the two different PT's.

You've done an awesome job.
    You've gone from morbidly obese
    to normal weight
    to THE MIDDLE OF NORMAL WEIGHT at BMI of about 22 (using 59.5kg)
    you're setting a goal of BMI 19 (bottom of normal weight), to be even more exact a bit below that at 18.6

And you've got a bit more than one year of successful weight maintenance under your belt, something that sooooo many people would KILL for to successfully accomplish.

You're also going to the gym and taking care of yourself. And, presumably, getting to be stronger.

Really. CELEBRATE.

Beyond that I would check to see how often I weight and how often I do or do not track. Low goals and under-eating are not a real benefit to maintenance because it will generate negative reaction at some point of time and trigger excess and because it will also impede/slow down performance when it comes to the gym. APPROPRIATE goals CAN support your effort.

While I do not (personally) think that given a history of relatively recent morbid obesity you have any business over-eating calories in an attempt to build muscle faster (because your overall health is *probably* (without ever having laid eyes on you--thus a generic statement) more dependent on maintaining the loss than in building your athletic goals, eating at maintenance would probably help you achieve your goals better and may also help you in rebuilding your body closer to your ideal (re-composition).

Beyond that I would only engage in relatively minor deficits and seek long term sustainability. Trying to skew things to long term equilibrium is probably more beneficial than trying to eek out marginal additional losses.

AND ESPECIALLY the part about being (very understandably) extra hungry after a workout especially if you are under-eating in calories and not trying to compensate (potentially) by timing your eating and the type of food around your workout.

Yes, type of food and timing would have been majoring in the minors when you were first starting out. But at this point you might benefit by checking out what would work best for you and timing some of your carb and protein intakes before and after your gym sessions to better support them.

Beyond that just by how you phrase things I am not sure how accurate of a picture of your weight trajectory you have available to you. Did you gain weight during the year and lose again? Did you modify your eating and not see any change in weight? Anyway.

Them's the thoughts that came to mind based on what you wrote. Grain of salt and all that. But play with some of this in your mind and see if it might fit.

You are doing a much more awesome job than you seem to be giving yourself credit for!
  • 0Leena0
    edited December 2023
    Options
    first, i appreciate your lengthy reply and your nice words and encouragement :)
    PAV8888 wrote: »

While I do not (personally) think that given a history of relatively recent morbid obesity you have any business over-eating calories in an attempt to build muscle faster (because your overall health is *probably* (without ever having laid eyes on you--thus a generic statement) more dependent on maintaining the loss than in building your athletic goals, eating at maintenance would probably help you achieve your goals better and may also help you in rebuilding your body closer to your ideal (re-composition).

Beyond that I would only engage in relatively minor deficits and seek long term sustainability. Trying to skew things to long term equilibrium is probably more beneficial than trying to eek out marginal additional losses.

!

forgive me but I don't think I follow you here can you elaborate?

Surprisingly my goal was not to maintain at all which is why I was left with feeling frustrated because despite all my efforts i did not lose weight or even change my body recomposition.
    I took these measurements on March 2023

Bust: 87 cm around (34 inches)
    Waist: 72-74 cm ( 28.3 inches)
    hips: 98-99 cm ( 39 inches)

the confusion came from people who i asked for their advice some told me im considered petite and still have a lot of fat so i need to cut to low calories or i won't see any changes whether in weight or shape.
    as for my weight trajectory for this year, here are the pics! i briefly saw the number 58 kg on march but after that i consulted the 1st PT who told me to eat at 1600-1700 cals but as you see i gained and i was afraid so i stopped but unfortunately i did not see that number again and my measurements did not change as well (maybe a couple of CM around my hips).

here are the pics! ( please start reading the stats from down to top )

IMG-1077.jpg
    IMG-1078.jpg
    IMG-1079.jpg
    IMG-1080.jpg
    IMG-1081.jpg
    IMG-1082.jpg
    album fotos online
    IMG-1083.jpg
    IMG-1084.jpg
    IMG-1085.jpg
    IMG-1086.jpg

p

• 0Leena0
    Options
    pause in weight loss that lasts more than about 6 weeks is due to being at maintenance calories. The fix is fewer calories and/or more activity or a combo of both however the prior is generally more effective.

You are most likely taking in more WEEKLY calories than you think, either by not counting everything EVERY DAY, not logging higher days or underestimating calories you actually log.

so the whole saying that if you starve yourself then getting back to eating normally will make you gain weight is not true?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options

so the whole saying that if you starve yourself then getting back to eating normally will make you gain weight is not true?

It's not true. There is a bit of down-regulation in metobolic activity when you calorie restrict, but it's not permanent. The body is superbly good at adaptation.

Read this, it is from the "Most Helpful" threads list:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1077746/starvation-mode-adaptive-thermogenesis-and-weight-loss/p1

"Eating normally" does mean knowing how much you need to eat to maintain a weight and then eating that amount.

I'd say the first year post major weight-loss is challenging as far as establishing habits, getting regular exercise, and eating a more reasonable amount than you were when obese and during weight loss. Not too little, not too much. After that it becomes easier. There are hormonal factors at play, but they do reach homeostasis.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,410 Member
    Options
    How often do you weigh yourself? If you start eating more food again then there's first of all more poop weight in your intestines. This does show up on a scale but it's not bodyfat. Also,eating more can mean eating more carbs or salt, both of which can lead to holding more onto water. Again it's not bodyfat.

You're at a healthy weight. Have you considered doing a recomposition instead of trying to lose more weight? Yes, strength training will also lead to (temporarily) more water weight, but it's for muscle healing and growth. Basically, you build some more muscle and lose bodyfat at the same time. It does take a long time but you won't be losing more weight but losing fat.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,645 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options

you first have to define “starve yourself” and also define “eating normally”. If you’re eating very low calories you will be losing and if you reverse diet and exceed your weekly maintenance calories you will gain, however that is true in all levels of dieting.

Fat loss is a product of a consistent weekly calorie deficit over time and nothing more.

That is made overly complicated over and over again…..

• 0Leena0
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    How often do you weigh yourself? If you start eating more food again then there's first of all more poop weight in your intestines. This does show up on a scale but it's not bodyfat. Also,eating more can mean eating more carbs or salt, both of which can lead to holding more onto water. Again it's not bodyfat.

You're at a healthy weight. Have you considered doing a recomposition instead of trying to lose more weight? Yes, strength training will also lead to (temporarily) more water weight, but it's for muscle healing and growth. Basically, you build some more muscle and lose bodyfat at the same time. It does take a long time but you won't be losing more weight but losing fat.

I have posted picture of my weigh in with dates, as for your question of recomposition, yes i did but did not work
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,658 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Grab happy scale if you're using iphone; libra if you're using android, create a free fitbit account and feed weight data to trendweight.com or use weightgrapher.com if they are around (tell everyone you want to maintain and to shut up with advice).

Plug your numbers. And look at your trend. I think you will find it essentially flat and that any changes were very small in terms of ups and downs. Both when you've eaten more and when you've eaten less.

Following a major loss most people regain weight. Fairly quickly. The best predictor of maintaining a weight loss long term is making it over the hump(s) and keeping the weight relatively stable. One year is good, two years is great, three years is awesome... five years you've finally starting to have a better than even chance of keeping it off indefinitely. Yes, there are hormonal "perturbations" and that's the "beauty" of hormones and neurotransmitters... people have a really hard time controlling them!

You can frame the past year as I "failed to improve". Or you can look back at it and acknowledge that you've accomplished something very few people accomplish. You managed to survive the first year post weight loss without regaining.

It really doesn't matter what you were TRYING to do. What matters is what you SUCCEEDED in doing.

So now look back at things. And see where you can make incremental improvements with the view of continuing to do this for the next five years.

Can you exercise like you do and feel super hungry when you're done like you've been doing? For the next five years? No. Then you have to work at improving that. In addition to looking at total calories you can time eating esp carbs and protein around the exercise for example.

Regardless of the stated reason that prompted you to eat more calories on a daily basis when you did so, did you gain rapidly when you ate a little bit more?

By the looks of it no--any changes appear to have been quite gradual. Were you able to perform better at the gym? Maybe-maybe not. That I don't know.

So should you try to eat at the max level that doesn't generate long term weight gain? I can only share that this is something I personally explored after I was confident enough that I would be able to maintain my weight. And I will also share that I think that it would be extremely dangerous and a flat out bad idea with a prior history of obesity and a recent major weight loss to explore an actual deliberate surplus (i.e. a bulk cycle).

My PERSONAL finding (and this could vary between people, it is up to you to observe yourself and come up with your own personal findings) my personal finding is that there IS a degree of up and down regulation that happens around increased and decreased calories (and it even varies when the increases for example are sudden and one time or longer term). So you may find that you neither gain nor lose weight around a 10% or 15% or even ??% change in calories depending on your logging/your activities/etc etc.

Beyond that I would look at my goals. Are you looking for a number or are you looking for strength and performance?

Petite or not petite I have a very hard time envisioning a mid bmi person who goes to the gym and does more than use her time for selfies as being overly "chunky". Normalcy does not require perfection! :wink:

The word used above was re-composition. That not only gets you closer to perfection but it also feeds into weight stability. Both are good because muscles are good and weight stability is good, especially after a major weight loss.

Re-composition especially without bulking is a very long term project. Like years not months or weeks. from your description the PT was trying to convince you to go for a bulk cycle. For reasons already stated I would avoid that, though I WOULD try to find a good long term re-composition at adequate calories position to invest my efforts in.

IMHO, of course--- and do take into consideration that I have a headache as I am writing this so a bit grumpy-ish! :blush:
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    yirara wrote: »

Another vote for recomposition. Make sure you are happy with your trainer.

Congratulations on the tremendous achievement so far! :flowerforyou: