Home gyms.

Options
13»

Replies

• punchgut
    punchgut Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I got this body solid setup minus the lat pull down. http://www.fitnessfactoryoutlet.com/store/Body-Solid-Pro-Power-Rack.html

I got a very good deal with the rack, oly. bar w/ rubber oly. weights (500lbs), bench (incline/decline/flat), 6' 15 lbs Aluminum training bar, dip bar and free shipping.

I recommend that you put a list together of what you want. Make sure you take measurements of where you're installing. Height can be an issue. After you make your list and know your measurements, start looking at companies that will give you a package deal. I contacted people directly through email addresses I found on the bodybuilding.com forum. I also mentioned that I was directed to them from bb.com. This got me an extra percentage off. Due to height restrictions and desired functionality, we dealt with powertec, body solid, and body craft. Body solid gave the best deal (fitnessfactoryoutlet.com is body solid's sales site). I find these three are all pretty equivalent when dealing with their top home equipment.

Make sure you haggle. But, and this is important, almost all the companies will be at end of stock right now and will not have racks until April or May. It happens every year about this time. This means your in a weak position for haggling.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Roadie2000 wrote: »

That top one was awesome! Thanks

A squat rack is probably not at the top of our to-do list but I'll definitely keep that one in mind!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    Sweet, another chance to *kitten* out my pics.

51163485433173627074.jpg

52522497578703419904.jpg

Im still jealous of your set up. Largely due to the space haha

It's not really that big of a room. It's just under 12'x20'.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

51163485433173627074.jpg

52522497578703419904.jpg

Mine's like 10'x14' I think, max. lol
    I have no room for cardio =[
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

51163485433173627074.jpg

52522497578703419904.jpg

Cardio is for chumps, just go outside and run/bike if you really need to. 10x14 will fit a power rack and weights and benches and such no problem.
  • 70chevellegsp
    70chevellegsp Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Good looking home gyms. I had a buddy that worked at a local manufacturer and he built me some heavy duty equipment back in the early '90's. A power rack with integral lat machine, 3 in 1 bench (flat, incline, military), decline bench, preacher bench, and a roman chair. I've had shoulder issues since I was a teenager, and decided in the mid-2000's that I wanted to move from free weights to a machine. After much research, I decided on the Powertec Leverage Gym. It's been fantastic over the past 10 or so years, and over the past year, I've stepped up my fitness by losing some weight and restructuring my workout routine. My wife and I both have been making great gains on this equipment and I am upset with myself that I got rid of my power rack & bench. I haven't found anything as heavy duty, but it was way overbuilt. For now I'm splitting workouts between the powertec and dumbells. If that takes, I may be buying a new power rack. My current equipment is the Powertec, 310# Oly set, roman chair (hypers & dips), dumbbells (8-50#), Johnny G Spinner, treadmill, and enough room for my circuit workout (burpees, mt climbers, jump rope, etc).

499d8cd6-6485-48c9-8f24-7023df56d347_zps1dd8d0d2.jpg
    e6838151-8216-4273-9632-4da94d10e9a4_zps73547a69.jpg
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

51163485433173627074.jpg

52522497578703419904.jpg

Cardio is for chumps, just go outside and run/bike if you really need to. 10x14 will fit a power rack and weights and benches and such no problem.

It fits fine in there.
    But I live in Maine and I've got my limits on the cold haha
    I want cardio inside for back up. One day.
  • mfm143
    mfm143 Posts: 131 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    jhc7324 wrote: »
    I've seen plenty of bench press benches and racks on Craigslist and the person selling says it doubles as a squat rack. How is that? I guess you could raise the rack to the right height to where you can get under it but there's nothing there as far as a "safety net" to catch the bar should I not be able to get back up or something. Isn't that an important component of a squat rack? Or is it not that important? I've never actually needed those safety bars before but used them when I worked out at a gym.

I can use mine as a squat rack for warmup level weights, but I would never be able to do a full working set using it.

Most of the racks that say they double as a squat rack have a curved lower bracket where the bench rests on when its down flat. These benches usually incline, so when you squat you just flip the bench all the way forward, out of the way, and the curved bar lets you get in under the bar without having to bend awkwardly. Still, its not the same as a real squat rack, and you don't have any safeties, and with mine at least, I'm still having to take the bar off the rack much lower than I prefer, and at a slightly odd angle, so I basically have to "goodmorning" the bar out of the rack, then step back and squat. Re-racking is a similar pain.

If someone tells you their bench doubles as a squat rack, they probably don't squat.
    I'm also pretty tall so that would not work. From looking at the pictures it doesn't look like you can raise the rack up very high at all. It might work for a shorter person but would be really awkward for me

If you scroll up, Mirey posted what she uses. She's 6'1" and uses her set up for bench and squat.

I know there are other homemade options if you can't afford ones from Sports Authority and you're handy (which I kind of am but have no tools lol)

Lucky for me my boyfriend is a framer... As in he builds houses. So If I ask nicely he could probably build me something really easily! That may be what I'll (he'll) do! Lol I am NOT handy

Go to http://youtu.be/6dy5eyMDt3c<< my hubby just finished building me one and it cost about 100-120$ solid as metal! Saved us almost 500$
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    My home/fare gym was the best investment I've made for my health.
    Power rack Dick's Sporting goods $400
    700 lbs of plates Academy Sports & CL ~$400

http://i1374.photobucket.com/albums/ag437/XavierNusum/Mobile Uploads/20150331_213250_zpslhrh7jsw.jpg
  • aeforred
    aeforred Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I won't post pics, because my gym is also the shop/utility room, which is currently torn apart for a plumbing issue.

But I have a Fitness Gear Pro Olympic Bench that I also use for squats, but I am not using more than 170 right now. Not sure how it would work for heavier weights. I also have a Men's Health magnetic rowing machine, lat pull setup, yoga sling, swiss ball, TerraCore, resistance bands that I don't really use anymore, reflex bag, and heavy bag. I use a barbell and adjustable dumbbells and buy plates as I gain strength. I have rubber floor tiles over concrete.