Any one here over 50?

Options
Hello!

I am new to this app. I have tried to use this app before but I didn’t like it. Why? Because I don’t like to track anything, food, exercise, etc.
It makes me stressed and anxious.
However, my doctor told me that this app will help me lose weight.

I definitely will need peer’s help to keep me motivated.

I never have been this heavy before (213lb/ 96kg). When my daughter was born, 20 years ago, I weighed 152lb/69kg. However, college and financial stress came along the way.

Now, I am 52 years old, weighing 213 pounds and I don’t like what I see at all!

I exercised my entire life! I was an Aqua Zumba, Zumba and swim instructor but nothing else works anymore.

I am very discouraged because everything I about diet and exercise don’t work anymore.
Additionally, I am a very, very picky eater.

Anyone in the same situation I am?

Answers

• JackAwfulpots
    JackAwfulpots Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I used to feel the same about keeping track of my calories and exercise, I used to write them all down in a notebook before they made a handy app for it though. :)
  • frhaberl
    frhaberl Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I started last year at 228 lbs and I'm nearing my 50s (will be 48 in 10 days). One thing I had going for me is a love of data and experimenting to learn. Making that my focus rather than viewing tracking everything as a punishment for being a "fat, lazy slob" was a mindset shift that has served me well. I still fall into the good/bad though pattern, but more quickly shift to the data/progress mindset. I'm wondering if a similar mindset shift might be helpful to you.

@AnnPT77 has shared her experience of being a very active and athletic overweight person and how focusing on dietary changes helped her lose weight and maintain that loss for over 7 years so far. Hopefully she'll stop by with some words of wisdom.

My advice is to give yourself 4-6 weeks of tracking faithfully, even if you don't make any other changes. Some days the win may be that you accurately recorded all the calories you ate that put you over maintenance calories and can look back and have hard data on why you're not losing weight at the rate you want to. Eventually you make progress in letting that data influence your actions and you find ways to make progress in a sustainable way. For some people, the progress is toward a lifestyle that won't require you to track anymore. For data geeks like me, progress has been spending less time gathering data, but I can see myself doing this for the rest of my life.

While you're figuring out how to sustain things without motivation (and looking for ideas on how to do so) these communities are awesome.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,645 Member
    Options
    Sure, lots of people here over 50. (I'm 68.) Quite a few have even succeeded in weight loss and maintenance using MFP. (I'm one. Lost almost a third of my body weight in just under a year at age 59-60, class 1 obese to a healthy weight, and have maintained a healthy weight since. That was after about 30 previous years being overweight/obese.)

I didn't much change my workout routines; I'd been quite active for a dozen years while staying fat. (I thought I must have a "slow metabolism". I was wrong.) I didn't change the range of foods I eat, just portion sizes, proportions on the plate, frequency of some calorie-dense foods.

It won't be perfect for everyone - no one thing is IMO - but this is pretty much the approach I used:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm/p1

That's just one of many possible approaches you could consider. I'm not an evangelist.

Once I found the right tactics for me - a process of experimenting, reviewing my food diary, noticing how I felt and how my body responded - weight loss was honestly simpler than I'd anticipated. It wasn't psychologically easy every minute, but the process was simple. I could kick myself for not doing it decades earlier . . . the quality of life benefits were huge.

I admit, I don't mind logging: It's like a fun, productive science fair experiment for grown-ups to me. (I'm a data geek, admittedly, and not just when it comes to calories. ;) )

I'll point out that when we start out, it's common to find logging more burdensome or annoying, simply because it's a new process and we're not very good at it, so it's uncomfortable. With practice and learning the ins and outs of MFP, it feels easier and takes much less time and mindshare. I'm one of the people who still mostly logs in maintenance, and to me the 10 minutes (tops) that it takes daily are a high-payoff investment, with the rewards that I feel better and have much better objective health markers (blood pressure, cholesterol, etc.).

It may take some discipline or willpower to go through that learning phase, but the results can be worth it.

Good advice from @frhaberl above.

I'm cheering for you to succeed: The results are worth the effort, IME!

• Padre77
    Padre77 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I’m 46, I’ve lost 30lbs went back up even higher, lost 40, now I’m already back up 10! I’m trying to get off the roller coaster and do better! I love the goals but I know I can get an unhealthy attitude and mindset if I’m not careful. I focus on re Bering food as a blessing and my body as a responsibility, so I don’t get into negative thoughts! Just how I am doing it. Trying to get my PhD in psychology and so it’s hard to keep active too.
  • 54ShadesOfBlue
    54ShadesOfBlue Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    54 here - been on and off a few times but this time it feels different as I believe I hit rock bottom, decided to commit for a year and do a mini public journal good, bad or ugly, regardless I’m posting it every day while giving my best. We shall see how it goes.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,456 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

There's plenty Seasoned Citizens here. You might go over to check out the "Over 50" group. Sad to say it's not that active, but the more people participate the more active it will be.

Your doctor is right - this app CAN help you lose weight. Help is the operative word. You are the one that has to do it. You'll have to get past being anxious about tracking your food. It's the only way to know what you eat! You can't manage what you don't measure. The primary reason to track your exercise is that you should eat a little extra to refuel after exercise.

For this app to work for you, you need to log your food honestly and completely. Just try doing that for a few weeks before you even try to reduce calories and lose weight. Just get used to logging. You may not like what you see. Fortunately you get to change that!

Did your doctor suggest any goals? Those are important too. They need to be challenging but attainable. They should be time-bound and measurable. You can do this if you want. You won't do it if you don't want.
  • Jtchowski2
    Jtchowski2 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I’m right with you all. I’m 52, I fell 3 yrs ago cant exercise like I would like to. I sit a lot! Gained so much weight, dont like what is staring back at me in the mirror. I lost all my confidence and really disgusted with myself. I need friends to help me through this journey. So I signed up.
  • RWest512
    RWest512 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello 💕. I’m 56 and have had this app since 2017. I successfully lost 50 pounds then stopped logging my food. Now it’s a few years later and I’m not as active as I one was so I’m concerned I will pack the pounds back on and I don’t want to do that!! I’m ready to lose the last 20 but it has been slow going. I’ve started tracking my food again but think I also need some accountability buddies to keep me motivated! Would you like to add me as a friend??
  • wydoc
    wydoc Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am 63 years old and severely overweight. I started walking with a friend and have lost 11 pounds and feeling so much better. Walking has been a lifesaver for me and I can do it anywhere. My doctor wants me to average 8000 to 10000 steps a day. I thought he was crazy but it is working for me. MFP is a great app and helps me track everything. I just get up every day and keep moving. I am so much happier and more confident to try different activities. Just wanted to share. Never posted before. Another new thing.
  • Rxman1971
    Rxman1971 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    52 m back on site. Had good success in the past using the sit and people here to help keep.me accountable. Please add if like
  • JuneGem6471
    JuneGem6471 Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    The app definitely helps. I have used it off and on for many years. I hate tracking too but it helps so much! I’m also 52, I weigh 217 ( I was 185 and that was about right for my height). I have about 35 lbs to lose to get back there. My ultimate goal is 165. I would love to be buddies if you’re interested!
  • AuntieLee
    AuntieLee Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I’m over 60 😱
    I’ve tried multiple times to use this app with no success. Giving it one more shot as the program I’m now on recommends using this app to keep a food log.
    Trying to get it all figured out, but will probably need loads of help.
    Have recovered from Christmas and lost 11 of the 15 pounds. I gained during that three week stretch.
    Looking forward to a successful new year.
    Setting small, achievable goals.
  • Rconda
    Rconda Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    54 here. I've used MFP on and off over the past decade or so, and lost a little here and there. I hate tracking, but it's truly the only thing that keeps me accountable. I'm back again, after gaining 40 lbs since my last round (topping out at 275, I can hardly believe this!). This time does feel different, and I am trying to pull everything I can into my corner to get this done once and for all. I love seeing the successes many others have had, both big and small. It is definitely harder as we get older, but as so many others have shown, it is definitely not impossible. I'm happy to connect if you are looking for accountability or support buddies.