I love the taste of food! Discipline! Does anyone else have this problem and what do you do?

Options
fitnesssheri1
fitnesssheri1 Posts: 7 Member
edited January 8 in Getting Started
I don't get up in the middle of the night, I can stop eating all together after 7pm without a problem. My problem is self control or discipline. I love the tastes of pretty much anything. I am a foodie as my husband says. I like to add to make it more flavorful. My portions need to be dealt with in a serious way and to lay down the sugars.... ANDDD MOVE!!!! I have had chest pains while exercising out of no where so I went and had stress test done and ekgs and blood work to look at my cholesterol levels and all says I am pretty healthy but how do just move anyways without the worry of dying while exercising. I wish I wasn't fearful. I try to look at it if and when it's my time to go just let it be. I guess I have a problem with control.... Has anyone else felt this way???? How do you get past this fear????

Replies

• stegeem
    stegeem Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    If you love the taste of all food, you will love the taste of healthy food too! You can eat a big amount of vegetables.

If you are scared of exercising, talk to your doctor and get recommendations. You might be ok with things like gentle swimming, tai chi or slow walking. There's something for everybody. Is this a life long condition? maybe you can do something more strenuous when you're better/at a lower weight.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    i tell myself that my MEMORY of how good the bites were will be the same whether i have one serving or two. one piece of chocolate or three. etc. so the extras didn’t really earn me anything.
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 997 Member
    edited January 9
    Options
    I became even more of a foodie as I experimented with healthier options. Think low calorie foods with more volume.. you can eat a ton! There are times now I have to work to get in enough calories because I’m eating a lot of vegetables and quality meats and seafood.

What kinda of food are you making?

Think of the herbs you can use.. all the nutrient dense foods you can try. Think of eating at a posh restaurant.. it’s small servings to taste.

Buy a nice measuring cup and scale to go with your chef tools. Only eat your portion and then that’s it.. drink a cup of water before and after to cleanse your palate and savor every bite. Next meal the same.
    Re exercising.. if the dr and bloodwork has ruled things out.. perhaps you are just feeling out of shape. Start slow with yoga, stretching, walking, hand weights.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,809 Member
    edited January 9
    Options
    When I had chest pain during exercise a couple years ago, having an extensive history of a disease that damages the heart of most who have it , I immediately hied myself to a cardiologist and had a full run of tests run.

Everything came back AOK, which was a massive relief, and very freeing. I hadn’t even realized that fear was in the back of my mind.

I still have occasional chest pains that make me sit up, but then I sit back and breath and ask myself “where does this feel like it’s actually coming from?” I can usually “follow it” and trace it back to lats or shoulders.

Doing exercise creates “body awareness” which can help with the fear.

Is it a fear of exercise,a fear of pain or soreness afterwards, a fear of injury, a fear of trying something new, a fear of exposing yourself to judgment or potential ridicule from others, a fear of being assaulted while walking? Try to trace that fear back , too.

What can you do to alleviate that fear? I took a couple of defense classes that made me less fearful to walk in the dark. I swallowed my pride and took a few falls, got a few bruises learning new yoga moves, ignoring what I thought others thought of my efforts. I at 61, I started swimming classes this week to learn how to breath properly. I’m sure everyone in the pool can hear me blowing loud obnoxious bubbles, but they have to, too, right? Both of my classmates are in their 70’s- learning new skills. Turns out one is terrified to put her face in the water, but she’s confronting that fear.

“New Me” doesn’t experience fear as much or in the same way. I’m cautious, which is different. I’m in no hurry to do a handstand because I know the damage a wrong way fall could cause- but I still try the kick and hop ups. Along the way, I gained other skills I never thought I would, even though I haven’t yet reached that particular handstand goal.

Don’t be afraid. There’s too much future living to be done to be afraid of something as basic and essential as exercise.

• AdamKast
    AdamKast Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have a HUGE problem with discipline. I have a very hard time telling myself no. I'm also an emotional eater. Like you, I'm not eating in the middle of the night and have no problem stopping at night. But it's really a matter of finding healthier lower calorie substitutes. For example, when I want to just dig into a pint of Ben and Jerry's..maybe I'll find something lower calorie like a Niks Ice cream Bar, or something that can give me that taste of ice cream without the outrageous calories.
    As for the exercising, I'd say just start small and slow. Go for walks. Listen to your body. If you start to feel overworked, slow it down.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,809 Member
    Options
    AdamKast wrote: »
    I have a HUGE problem with discipline. I have a very hard time telling myself no. I'm also an emotional eater. Like you, I'm not eating in the middle of the night and have no problem stopping at night. But it's really a matter of finding healthier lower calorie substitutes. For example, when I want to just dig into a pint of Ben and Jerry's..maybe I'll find something lower calorie like a Niks Ice cream Bar, or something that can give me that taste of ice cream without the outrageous calories.

Ninja Creami, my friend.

I’m not lying when I say it is life changing. We split a large container of homemade low cal fat free ice cream every night. Tonight is chocolate peanut butter. 110 calories for a large bowl, plus 30 for spray whipped cream, zero cal chocolate syrup and 13 for three grams of chocolate hagel.

It’s so easy to use and you can turn just about anything into creamy yummy ice cream, I’d just like to sing the compliments to the inventor from the highest mountain.
  • fitnesssheri1
    Options
    stegeem wrote: »
    If you love the taste of all food, you will love the taste of healthy food too! You can eat a big amount of vegetables.

If you are scared of exercising, talk to your doctor and get recommendations. You might be ok with things like gentle swimming, tai chi or slow walking. There's something for everybody. Is this a life long condition? maybe you can do something more strenuous when you're better/at a lower weight.

Thank You So Much! I just need to get out of my slump and move and yes loosing a few pounds will help me be more confident when it comes to adding more and more.
  • fitnesssheri1
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I don't know whether it's true for you, but on the exercise front, faaarrrr too many people think that brutally intense daily exercise is the most beneficial, maybe the only the thing that's beneficial. That's a total myth.

Too-intense exercise (for current fitness level) is counterproductive for weight loss: It's fatiguing, so we tend to drag though the rest of our day, resting more and doing less, so we burn fewer calories in daily life than we would've otherwise. That cancels out some of the exercise calorie benefits.

On top of that, very intense exercise all the time isn't how elite athletes in most sports train. They have the best possible professional advice about how to improve, from dietitians and trainers, among others. Why would us regular duffers shoot for all high intensity all the time, when they don't?

The most beneficial exercise (IMO) for both weight loss and fitness development for us regular folks is anything enjoyable (or at least tolerable/practical) that's a manageable challenge to our current fitness level . . . something that leaves us energized for the rest of our day, not exhausted. The energy boost helps with weight loss, and the (manageable) challenge progresses our fitness.

Doing something enjoyable makes it more likely that we'll actually do it routinely, instead of procrastinating or skipping it at the slightest excuse. (Any exercise we actually do is 100% more beneficial than one we skip!)

As we get fitter, the exercise will start feeling too easy, no longer a challenge. If we want to get even fitter, that's a hint that it's time to change intensity, frequency, duration or type of exercise to keep the mild challenge in the picture.

It can be surprising how much progress that kind of approach will produce, with patience and time.

So, for you: What sounds achievable, non-threatening? Walking, swimming (or pool walking), riding a bike, playing active video or VR games, dancing (any type), games (ping pong, frisbee golf, whatever), . . . ? Try it. If you like it, do enough to feel slightly challenged, then rest, and repeat (that, or something else active) in a couple of days. See how it goes.

I'm cheering for you!

P.S. As someone who also likes food a lot, sometimes too much, some of my strategies for weight loss were to
    1. Get selective, and seek out the very most delicious things, cutting out things (especially high calorie ones) that were kind of "meh" to me for enjoyment/nutritious. I'm not giving calorie room to crappy grocery store baked goods or ugly fast foods.
    2. Experiment with flavor profiles that don't rely on the same old tired "add fat, salt, sugar" ideas. That could be trying various ethnic foods I hadn't had, new veggies/fruits, ways to use flavoring ingredients like fresh herbs, new flavoring ingredients like miso or peanut butter powder or whatever, etc.

That may not work for you, but that honestly made cooking and eating more enjoyable for me, in addition to more calorie-appropriate. I absolutely think it makes sense to focus more on good things I can get into my eating, not focus on supposedly bad things to eliminate. If I focus on The Good Stuff and staying within calories, the less useful foods tend to drop out of the picture almost automagically.

Thank You Ann
  • fitnesssheri1
    Options
    Thank You Ann! I will keep in mind good and tasty over convenient and bad. I can also choose convenient with fresh fruits or veggie instead of going back to the full loaded carb and sugar disaster.
  • fitnesssheri1
    Options
    It is nice to be in a community of nice, intelligent support people. No Judgement other than My Own on myself of course. I truly appreciate all the nice and encouraging words.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,540 Member
    Options
    Thank You Ann! I will keep in mind good and tasty over convenient and bad. I can also choose convenient with fresh fruits or veggie instead of going back to the full loaded carb and sugar disaster.
    It is nice to be in a community of nice, intelligent support people. No Judgement other than My Own on myself of course. I truly appreciate all the nice and encouraging words.

Foods aren't bad. It's a good idea to limit consumption of easy-access high-calorie foods that offer little nutrition and don't fill you up, but they aren't bad. I happen to like potato chips. They aren't bad. If I eat too many, I pay the price.

Yes, it's a great community! I hope you use it to help you meet your goals. As far as no judgement goes, maybe you don't even need to be judging YOURSELF! One of the things I am working on this year is self-compassion. Everyone messes up. I sure do. If you do, that's fine. Just get back on track and STICK TO IT!