Just keep hiking

Replies

• metaphysicalstudio
    metaphysicalstudio Posts: 293 Member
    This is so inspiring! Thanks for sharing!
  • Tami, I have been enjoying your photos and stories! I'm in the Fraser Valley, so I have been able to do some of these hikes too. In my area, I like Elk Mountain in Chilliwack and Harrison Grind overlooking Harrison Lake.
    Thanks for sharing your adventures with us!
  • LilithReigns
    LilithReigns Posts: 225 Member
    ahhh I am so excited I found this post. I too decided to stop making excuses and start doing the hikes I have always wanted to do. I have Ohio, Kentucky, and IL trips planned for this summer. I started last spring all the way through fall of 2023 and some of winter going to local spots in IN. I have found strength, joy, peace, and motivation in doing this. I would love to post pictures which I might do after work. If anyone would like to friend me please do and we can swap travel pictures and chat about our adventures. Solo Hiker here <3
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,929 Member
    Out and about for my "local hike" several times the past week during the ice storm. Each day there would be more trees down across the River Path. It will be a while before they get that cleaned up.

oaxbfl8ops28.jpg

sp8sa9qzheu3.jpg
  • 007eiram
    007eiram Posts: 1 Member
    Tami I am so excited I found your post. It has truly inspired me. I am from New Zealand. I walked our local bush with my dog and friends in younger days and thought my tramping days were over. I am now inspired to drop all the excuses and set mini goals to reconnect with nature. I look forward to reading the threads to your post.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,929 Member
    edited February 23
    I went to visit a friend yesterday and did a hike by his house about 8.3 miles with about 1560 feet of elevation gain. Some nice views. Saw some nice birds. Mostly gravel roads, but some trails. My friend also pointed out some other trails and where they went.

He's been exploring this area since the early or mid '90s. It's the reason he bought the property he lives, and now that he's retired, he can hike around there (and bike) often. When I buy a gravel bike, I'll look forward to getting out there and checking that out too.

Part of the trail is on private industrial forest, and part is on a university research forest.

He said this is his go-to hike/bike trail. Sweet!

Then he gave me some more duck eggs. I'm about to braise one or two of them for breakfast.

vaq0wrt549on.png

zxtwb49pirzs.jpg

sggr003a7mef.jpg

dlp8s2lb4m9p.jpg

• enlightenme3
    enlightenme3 Posts: 2,618 Member
    @mtaratoot - I'm surprised you encountered that many people at this time of year. We did the "Trail of Ten Falls" this past September on a Sunday and it was jammed pack. Unfortunately, it was the only day we had available since we were also going to see friends who lived nearby in Silverton that day. Other than all the people, the park was beautiful, facilities were nice and the hiking was nice and moderate after having done some strenuous hikes the couple weeks before in Olympia, Rainier and Mt. Hood areas.
  • SbetaK
    SbetaK Posts: 391 Member
    I grew up in Oregon, hiked the Silver Falls trails just about every year. @mtaratoot I recognized the falls in your pictures before I read your post, now I want to hike it again next time I go home. I love the trails were I am now, but always a good idea to have a friend or 2 along, and a dog, to keep our eyes out for our Kodiak grizzly bears. @sammcc7907, not sure whether I'd like to run into a bear here, or your snakes and dingos!
  • rlpomeroy
    rlpomeroy Posts: 723 Member
    I have really enjoyed reading through this thread and it's getting me excited to do some more hiking myself. I am in Minnesota and have done several miles of the Superior Trail, but not all of it. Thank you for inspiring me to get back out there!!
  • sammcc7907
    sammcc7907 Posts: 34 Member
    SbetaK wrote: »
    I grew up in Oregon, hiked the Silver Falls trails just about every year. @mtaratoot I recognized the falls in your pictures before I read your post, now I want to hike it again next time I go home. I love the trails were I am now, but always a good idea to have a friend or 2 along, and a dog, to keep our eyes out for our Kodiak grizzly bears. @sammcc7907, not sure whether I'd like to run into a bear here, or your snakes and dingos!
    Eek, snakes and dingos any day over bears

• TamiVsTheTrail
    TamiVsTheTrail Posts: 75 Member
    @sammcc7907 Love the backpack! What a great view. No dingos here but definitely bears and cougars, I've only run into a couple of bears. The snakes are harmless, I think your snakes would point and laugh at ours.
  • TamiVsTheTrail
    TamiVsTheTrail Posts: 75 Member
    @mtaratoot Looks like a great place to get out and explore! Thanks for sharing the pictures. :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!