Tips or favorite recipes for increasing protein?

Options
I am going through menopause and want to increase my protein intake. I would prefer to do it without adding a lot of meat to my diet, but have found it to be challenging. Any tips, suggestions, or favorite recipes would be appreciated.

Answers

• The_Elephant_Man
    The_Elephant_Man Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Protein Shakes.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,332 Member
    Options
    Some wise person here on MFP who happens to have been a vegetarian for the last 50 years often shares this resource that shows a number of nutritional components of common foods including protein. It even shows what percentage of a food's calories come from protein. Check it out.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,429 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that link that @mtaratoot shared. If you want non meat/fish protein, scroll down the spreadsheet. It's there.

For sure, try to get at least one major protein source in every meal. I'm sure you know the omnivore options (or can get them from that link). Some major plant-based ones are tofu (available in many forms), tempeh, seitan, beans of all types. There are also commercial fake meats now, but I'm not a fan, and some don't have much protein, surprisingly. Read labels!

If you eat dairy foods or eggs, those are also good sources.

Beyond that, assuming you're logging your food, take a good look at your food diary. Look for foods that are contributing quite a few calories, but not much protein. Are there substitutes for those things - still foods you like eating - that would give you more protein?

There are breads with more protein than others, high protein pastas, whole grains with more protein (compared to the more common choice of rice), beverages with protein, snacks with protein, veggies with more protein, even a few fruits with protein. Those sources may be less essential amino acid complete, but varying the sources can compensate for that to some extent. (Bioavailability of the protein is another consideration that can matter.)

There are even some flavoring ingredients with protein: Miso, peanut butter powder, and nutritional yeast are some example.

Those small amounts of protein through the day can add a meaningful amount to the all-day total.

I'm in maintenance now, so it was a little less while losing, but I routinely hit my 100g daily protein minimum, and often exceed it by up to 20%, as a vegetarian, without using protein powder or fake meat. (I don't think there's anything wrong with those in theory, I just don't find them tasty or satisfying. I'd rather eat fooooooood! ;) )

Best wishes!