Not losing weight very quickly

Options
In the past when I've concentrated on losing weight with this app I've lost weight so quickly. This time my body is stubbornly holding on to weight. I've only lost a little over 2 lbs in 11 days and I've been religiously tracking, exercising and drinking pretty much nothing but water. I eat mostly lean protein and lots of fruits and veggies. I don't get it. Any advice?
Tagged:

Replies

• princesslily1
    princesslily1 Posts: 5 Member
    edited January 16
    Options
    You may have to analyze where problems are coming from.

For example, for me, I have to watch my sodium intake. Staying between 1500-2300mg/day is a good range. If you go over the maximum, your body is likely to hold onto water weight. Soups and processed meats have a lot sodium.

During my luteal phase, I burn more calories...so over time I noticed if I don't eat something small every 2-3hrs, I binge at my next meal as if I starved myself. Eating smaller portions over the day stops the issue. Also gum is my best friend during times of stress.

Also, my family and friends love going out and/or ordering out. I'm at the point where I have to pre-review menus due to sodium and hidden carlories. When we go out, I order grilled fish, grilled chicken and shrimp cocktails - requesting all sauces on the side too.

I have to stay really focused with weight loss, and using a traditional food journal has shown me where issues have been showing up.
  • stiches987
    stiches987 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    its all about calories, carbs, fats. stick to the right amount of calories. some times its just your body metabolism, everyone's is different. stay the course
  • shel80kg
    shel80kg Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    At the risk of taking this thread in a slightly tangental direction, I wanted to ask about metabolic speed.efficiency and ageing. I have lost a substantial amount of weight over the past 4 months but I am clearly noticing a "slowing down" of weight loss and longer plateaus. My question is; Eating far less then our bodies might ever be used to must have have a more general impact on the "meta" awareness of our brain and how it considers how fast (or slowly) to keep the potbelly stove burning. Is there scientific evidence to support metabolic rates, weight loss, age and alterations to food consumption?
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 785 Member
    edited January 17
    Options
    shel80kg wrote: »
    At the risk of taking this thread in a slightly tangental direction, I wanted to ask about metabolic speed.efficiency and ageing. I have lost a substantial amount of weight over the past 4 months but I am clearly noticing a "slowing down" of weight loss and longer plateaus. My question is; Eating far less then our bodies might ever be used to must have have a more general impact on the "meta" awareness of our brain and how it considers how fast (or slowly) to keep the potbelly stove burning. Is there scientific evidence to support metabolic rates, weight loss, age and alterations to food consumption?

Here is the study that included 6,500 people from 29 countries that showed metabolism for both men and women really doesn't significantly drop off until you reach the age of 60.

https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.abe5017

Weight loss slows down the closer we get to goal weight for many reasons:
    - our bodies are doing less work
    - we reduce our calories to adjust for our lighter weight every 10 lbs or so
    - We have a smaller deficit as we lose weight/reduce calories
    - Prolonged dieting can decrease NEAT
    - Prolonged dieting can increase cortisol and ghrelin
    - We carry less water

The Minnesota Starvation Experiment went into that in better detail.

I like your question and look forward to seeing more interesting responses. This should be it’s own topic :)
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,419 Member
    Options
    Hey, you've got this! ❤️Slow is not bad! I'm currently trying to lose a similar amount that I gained due to being super frustrated with a very slow healing major injury and being unable to do anything. I'm losing (consciously) 1kg per month, or roughly half a pound per week and don't feel like I'm restricting myself.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,288 Member
    Options
    @MamaBearWorx93

I'm so happy to read that you've taken a step back to reassess your approach. We do slow down a little bit as we age, and we can still succeed at weight management - both loss and maintenance. I look forward to reading of your success. Remember what Warren Miller used to say - "If you don't do it this year, you'll be a year older when you do." Today is always the best time to start.

If you're looking for a group to join that's got friendly people who share their successes, frustrations, and tips, feel free to join a group I'm involved with called "Lose 1 Pound a Week and Keep it Off!" The group is private, so just request to join, and you WILL be approved.

The group really just has two requirements, and they would work really well if you're looking for accountability. First, you have to record your starting weight and your goals for the end of each quarter of 2024. That's not hard. The other is you have to post a weighing-in at least once a week. That's not hard either! We have some ongoing challenges that are intended to be fun that also can help you hone those good habits. We try to have some "special" challenges most weeks to. All of these are optional. The only requirement is the start-up and the weekly weigh-in. Come on over and join me!

There's also an open discussion here that's mostly folks age 60 and over.
  • MamaBearWorx93
    MamaBearWorx93 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank you yirara and mtaratoot for your support!! It helps so much🥰🩷
    mtaratoot I went over to the over 60 group but can't figure out how to introduce myself there. Can you tell me how? I also did join the lose 1 lb a week group. Thank you!!🙏🏻🙏🏻
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,288 Member
    Options
    @MamaBearWorx93

You have been approved for the Lose 1 Pound a Week group. Come say hi!

In the very top of the Over 50 group are some announcements. The very first one is for new members to introduce themselves. It's pretty quiet over there, but if enough folks start participating, it might get reinvigorated. The regular discussions are down below the announcements, but there haven't really been many of late. Start one if you want!
  • meganlea33
    meganlea33 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the scale is to our friend; especially as women. Our bodies have a tendency to hold on to extra at the most inconvenient times. I would try not to focus on the number but perhaps are your clothes fitting differently. Are those jeans in the back of the closet able to now slide up over your hips or does a dress no longer require shapewear. I actually purchased a very fitted dress 2 sizes to small and every week I have been trying it on. Oddly the number on the scale has not changed that much but that dress it getting closer to zipping and looking nice.