Losing weight

Options
Hi guys! So I’ve been in a caloric deficit for almost a year now but I for some reason can’t seem to lose weight in these last three months. I’m 90% in my calorie deficit sometimes I go over 500 kcal but I can’t seem to lose weight. Are there any tips you can give?

Replies

• csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    How much weight did you lose the other 9 months? You need fewer calories as you get smaller, which means your calorie goals change over time.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,414 Member
    Options
    Can you share your stats and weightloss goal with us? Do you use a foodscale and make sure database entries are correct?
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,652 Member
    Options
    You need fewer calories now that youre lighter unless you've added more daily activity however 3 months with no loss signals that you're at maintenance calories and they need to come down.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,660 Member
    Options
    The numbers do change. Depending on fat available to lose and consistency of deficit a diet break may or may not be a preferred option But also 90% doesn't mean much in isolation. Is that 90% of the time 90% of the 500 calories a day on average? Your overall actually achieved deficit over time does matter. And if it's been a few months and the trend has not moved then the net effect is maintenance. But even maintenance is not an unchanging number. So the rest of your situation does matter
  • GazJol
    GazJol Posts: 2 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Your BMR has reduced since your earlier stages. Once you have your new calculated BMR you will know exactly what your calorie ‘threshold’ is for losing/gaining body fat.
    Chat GPT works it out for you easily - just tell it all of your current stats and it will tell you all your exact energy consumption/usage requirements.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,414 Member
    Options
    GazJol wrote: »
    Your BMR has reduced since your earlier stages. Once you have your new calculated BMR you will know exactly what your calorie ‘threshold’ is for losing/gaining body fat.
    Chat GPT works it out for you easily - just tell it all of your current stats and it will tell you all your exact energy consumption/usage requirements.

It doesn't though. BMI calculations are based on population averages and are not really fixed numbers but individual numbers for every single person on this planet. a stupid AI won't do more than what MFP or any other calorie calculator does.

But TO does have the data: they hopefully know how much they ate daily over the past many months. They just need to eat less (or tighten up their logging, which almost certainly will also result in eating less)
  • Metaboliccoach
    Metaboliccoach Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It’s hard to be in a calorie deficit that long. You need less than less calories but of course your metabolism slows as well so you could do a reverse and bring your calories and your metabolism back up for a while and then do another cut
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,282 Member
    Options
    Check this flow-chart out. It's in one of the "Most Helpful Posts" in the "Getting Started" section:

Why am I not losing weight?
    7sc6rs3gfass.jpg
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    if you're not losing weight, it means you're not eating at a deficit.

that being said, i've had several foods i ate a lot that changed their ingredients, which also changed their calories. it's always worth checking for that. in one case, the label didn't change the nutrition info, but at a fellow MFPer, i checked, and the new ingredients made the label nutrition info impossible - the product increased carbs and calories but didn't change the nutrition info.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,652 Member
    Options
    GazJol wrote: »
    Those apps and programs will give you a very rough estimate. They are never exact so don’t expect them to be.