Joined the maintainers club today :)

Options
Male
Height 5'7"
Age 54
Starting weight July 31st 2023 181lbs
Current weight today Oct 26 2023 150.5lbs (goal 150lbs) close enough... lol

Never been good at maintaining but I have a few tricks up my sleeve this time to stay on top of my weight. :)

I worked at this really hard to hit my goal and don't ever want to go back to the fat me...

Cheers!

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Congratulations!

Now the real fun starts. ;)

If you haven't already, might I suggest you check out some of the threads here about how others maintain long term? We're all unique, so not everything will apply (of course), but I got a lot of useful info from those threads when I was getting close to maintenance, and in the early stages.

Best wishes for continuing success!
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,086 Member
    Options
    Don't celebrate so much you gain all the weight back in one night, lol! But it is worth some level of celebration, whether watching a favorite movie, get a new Ugly Christmas Sweater for the upcoming company party, etc. Welcome to the club!
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,243 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!

Our stats are surprisingly similar - height, amount of weight lost, age when I got to my goal, and now maintaining. Vigilance will be your friend - keep sticking to it. I've wandered back out of maintenance a couple times, including right now. It can be tough to not get frustrated about it, but it's just something that happens sometimes. I'm still not totally 100% sure that my goal is the right goal, so I keep revising it. My goal weight was less than yours, and I was able to stay there for a couple years until the world changed a few years ago. I'm still maintaining, but at a slightly higher weight, and maybe that's OK. It's so much better than when I got started!
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,803 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. Just posting here tells me you are going to be successful this time. 👏👏👏
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,928 Member
    Options
    Woo hoo! 🎊
    Bet that feels good! Hopefully I'll join you early next year.
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! That’s an impressive feat and it’s clear you worked really hard for it. Newly navigating maintenance myself. Feel free to share some of those tricks when you’re ready 😊.
  • _simplicity_
    _simplicity_ Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Awesome! You can live this one day at a time.
  • AnnPT77
    edited November 2023
    Options
    xbowhunter wrote: »
    Oct 26 to today Nov 20th still maintaining at 150lbs. So far so good. :)

Much easier now that I have cut way back on alcohol... :)

That's great! Keep doing the things you need to do, and I predict that it will eventually start feeling less like walking a tightrope, more just like routine life.

At least that's been my experience. I'm in year 7+, nearly 8, of maintaining a healthy weight. There have been some mild ups and downs (all in the healthy BMI range, and all in the same jeans size). I know what to do when the jeans start getting a little snug, and I do it. But I don't worry as much as I did at first.

I think it's sort of common at first - even if our rational brain knows otherwise - to think that somehow if we eat a few extra cookies, or indulge to over-full on the holidays, that we'll suddenly and uncontrollably balloon back up to major fatness. That's not going to happen. It's the slow, sneaky up-creep over weeks to watch out for, and take action on.

IMO we need new habits that will work the majority of our days without constant vigilance, and the monitoring mindset to self-correct quickly if the trend (not the day to day scale bounce) tell us action is needed. It's doable.

You've got this: Just keep doing what you need to do.

Best wishes!
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Oct 26 to today Nov 20th still maintaining at 150lbs. So far so good. :)

Much easier now that I have cut way back on alcohol... :)

That's great! Keep doing the things you need to do, and I predict that it will eventually start feeling less like walking a tightrope, more just like routine life.

At least that's been my experience. I'm in year 7+, nearly 8, of maintaining a healthy weight. There have been some mild ups and downs (all in the healthy BMI range, and all in the same jeans size). I know what to do when the jeans start getting a little snug, and I do it. But I don't worry as much as I did at first.

I think it's sort of common at first - even if our rational brain knows otherwise - to think that somehow if we eat a few extra cookies, or indulge to over-full on the holidays, that we'll suddenly and uncontrollably balloon back up to major fatness. That's not going to happen. It's the slow, sneaky up-creep over weeks to watch out for, and take action on.

IMO we need new habits that will work the majority of our days without constant vigilance, and the monitoring mindset to self-correct quickly if the trend (not the day to day scale bounce) tell us action is needed. It's doable.

You've got this: Just keep doing what you need to do.

Best wishes!

Excellent info!

I really think its all about being mind-full. stop eating when I am full and avoid the high empty calories as much as possible. The holiday bulge shall not commence!!! lol
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Congratulations: You're doing really well!

I think different holiday strategies work for different people, but that sounds like a reasonable approach to try.

Like I said (implied) earlier in the thread, I'm pretty relaxed about it these days. I'm retired, so I don't need to fight through a sea of tempting treats at work. I just follow my usual calorie banking habit day to day (eating maybe around 100-150 calories under estimated maintenance most of the time, to indulge occasionally). Then I indulge if I feel like it on the actual holidays or the few related special events, see where the chips fall, and creep off a few pounds after if necessary.

I don't love doing larger deficits at this point, though I'd do it if it were urgent. So far, creeping off what creeps on is working pretty well - either just that calorie banking kind of deficit, or up to maybe 250. It seems pretty painless that way, and as long as my jeans fit (with the Winter long johns on ;) ), I'm not too stressed about timing.

You're doing great: You'll do fine over the holidays, too. Let us know how it goes, if you feel up to it?

Best wishes!
  • John772016
    John772016 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Oct 26 to today Nov 27th still maintaining at 150lbs. So far so good. :)

The most fattening time of the year is coming. My strategy is to loose another 5lbs before the holidays then I can indulge a bit more without stressing over my calorie intake... :)

How goes the maintenance plan @xbowhunter ?
  • xbowhunter
    Options
    John772016 wrote: »

The most fattening time of the year is coming. My strategy is to loose another 5lbs before the holidays then I can indulge a bit more without stressing over my calorie intake... :)

So far so good. Had too many drinks and food this weekend though. Scale said 152lbs this morning time reign this *kitten* in again to stay between 145 to 150! :)
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    John772016 wrote: »

So far so good. Had too many drinks and food this weekend though. Scale said 152lbs this morning time reign this *kitten* in again to stay between 145 to 150! :)

If you get back to routine, betcha most of it drops off over the next week or so without doing anything dramatic. (I know Christmas is in the next week or so . . . which is a wrinkle. ;) )

You're doing fine. Keep on!
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,182 Member
    Options
    Male
    Height 5'7"
    Age 54
    Starting weight July 31st 2023 181lbs
    Current weight today Oct 26 2023 150.5lbs (goal 150lbs) close enough... lol

I worked at this really hard to hit my goal and don't ever want to go back to the fat me...

Hey, this is fantastic...

I really appreciate you putting out the "I worked at this really hard to hit my goal"
    Congratulations.
  • xbowhunter
    Options
    Back down to 149 today.
    I have my mojo back just in time for the holidays. :0)

My personal challenge for our Christmas break from Dec 23 to Jan 02.
    No alcohol consumption especially when we are out and I have to drive.
    No eating high calorie sweets.
    Hit the gym every other day.
    Walk the dog 5k everyday rain or shine.
    Most of all maintain or actually shed a couple of pounds.

Cheers!

• JaysFan82
    JaysFan82 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic!

I'm coming up on one year in Maintenance next month