Biggest Loser - The TRUTH from the Show

Options
http://www.bodylovewellness.com/2010/06/09/kai-hibbard-biggest-loser-finalist-part-1-of-3/

This is quite interesting...I still watch the show tho, just don't really respect it as much.

Replies

• joanneeee
    joanneeee Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    this is old.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    I've read this before. Eye-opening but they could have left anytime they wanted to. It's a reality show and you're competing for a LOT of money! I'd probably put myself through that crap for a shot at such a rad experience and paycheck. :laugh:
  • lornawalker
    Options
    bump
  • iwantniceabs
    iwantniceabs Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    this is old.

this is rude.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    this is old.

this is rude.

No it's not. Not everything is rude. Jesus. It's old as balls. She's just stating a fact.

Also, regardless of whether or not it's old, the internet has a constant influx of new users, as the world has a constant influx of new people, so...rude or not (not)...it was pretty much a useless comment.
  • rogar28
    rogar28 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    The part about them being poked and prodded then being told that they are lucky to be there reminded me of the book "The Running Man" by Stephen King. The book was also about a reality tv show...just not as family friendly.
  • DulceBrandi
    Options
    Very interesting! I always wondered how they could lose that much weight in one week. Now, it makes sense - it wasn't a 7 day week AND they did some outlandish things. I see some saying it's old. Well, I'd never seen it before. So, thanks for sharing it anyway. :smile:
  • anu_6986
    anu_6986 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing :flowerforyou:
  • woo1324
    woo1324 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Yep might be old for some but seeing as i havent managed to read every article on the internet as of yet its new news to me, and very interesting thanks for sharing :happy:
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodylovewellness.com/2010/06/09/kai-hibbard-biggest-loser-finalist-part-1-of-3/

This is quite interesting...I still watch the show tho, just don't really respect it as much.

I watched the The Biggest Loser UK version for the first time ever this year...I only watched the first few episodes and haven't gone back to it. Like other reality TV programmes, it appears to be people who want their 15 minutes of fame; it just so happens that they all genuinely had to lose the excess weight.

I'm not a fan of reality TV and the articles about the show, to me just reinforce why these kind of shows aren't worth watching.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Here's another truth: Of the 200+ competitors on the show, about 25 have kept MOST of the weight off. Even the winners have put on 35 or more since they've won. Most have gained back a significant portion of weight.
    While I admire the training techniques (I'm of the tough love analogy) and seeing the progress, I don't believe this is a great way to lose weight and don't think it's sustainable as proven by how many contestants fail at staying close to their finishing weights.
  • L2M1D52
    L2M1D52 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I've never watched the Biggest Loser and actually thought about watching it this season. After reading this... I'm good lol. Thanks for sharing. It's new to me as I wasn't into the show previously.
  • kellehj
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! This is new to me and really interesting.

Although, while I can completely believe that this is legitimate and this contestant isn't making any of it up (what reason would she have to?) I've watched the Biggest Loser since season 7 and it seems a lot of these things might have changed since then. She even said that she knows this was her season and her experience, but it might only be what was happening at that time.

1) If you watch the show now, you'll see tons of these contestants have injuries that keep them from participating in challenges and vigorous exercise. I remember one even only being allowed to exercise for 30 minutes a day, and another only being able to swim, and another walking like 20 miles because walking was all she was allowed to do. I mean you'll see Jillian get so angry and stressed out about that, when her contestants aren't allowed to exercise. The way Kai describes one of the contestants in her season is having a serious injury, but the trainer forces her to exercise, and they actually edited the footage to look like she was just lazy and disobedient instead of worried about her injury. And that's absolutely terrible, but if Dr. High..zinga (lol idk how to spell his name) or whatever is shown telling Jillian and contestants not to train, and their weight is reflecting it, then I don't see how the Biggest Loser is still continuing to do that now. Maybe it's behind the scenes, but that would seem counterproductive. (If it was edited, then that's saying they actually take the time to make it look like they're not doing that to the contestants, even though it's not necessary)

2) The dehydration thing. That's awful, it really is, but isn't one of the most known tips in losing weight is drinking enough water? The more water you drink, the more toxins and such will be flushed out of your system, and the less water will be retained, so you'll end up losing more overall. I could see the morning workout thing to get rid of sweat and extra water, but the trainers advising they don't drink water for the whole day before either? That doesn't seem to match up with the constant lessons and "trainer's tips" given about drinking enough water. And I always work out 10x harder when I drink enough water, when I don't I feel sick. I know the water will come out of me once it's digested, so I'd rather burn more calories working than doing the former. Seems odd.

3) It may not be healthy to lose 20 pounds in one week, but it's definitely possible. People tend to forget the fact that most of these people eat 3,000+ calories a day before coming to the ranch, and most of it is total crap. When you go from such a huge and bad diet to a clean and portioned one, your body responds in more ways than from just the calorie count. The extra sodium in your diet from processed foods being one example, since it helps to retains weight. The huge amount of water they're drinking can help to flush more "weight" out. And the extreme exercise is known, 5-6 hours of workouts a day isn't a surprise to anyone who watches the show. Most of these contestants are burning like 4,000 extra calories a day, and some are doing more. And TBL never promotes not eating enough either, lots of times when the contestants don't lose enough weight it's blamed on the fact that they need to up their calorie count to reach a better burning system or stop the body from going into starvation mode. (AND OF COURSE, THIS COULD ALL BE MANIPULATED TO LOOK LIKE THAT. BUT, GOOD EDITING THEN)

Overall though, I liked this article and I respect Kai for coming out about all these serious issues, what I don't like is the response to it. 'Oh I hate the Biggest Loser, this is what I'll send to my friends who love it!' I don't understand what is wrong with loving a show that inspires you in a healthy way. If your friends are starving themselves because they want to lose 12 pounds a week like the contestants, then by all means send it it. Show them that this is not realistic to lose weight that fast, nor is it smart.

But I watch the show because I adore the emotional transformations the most. Kai said that she didn't change on the inside, and she was confused as to why she thought she should. In my mind, the more weight I lose is an accomplishment to myself. The more miles I can run, the more weight I can lift, the better I treat my body, the better I feel about myself. I feel better in my mind because my body feels better. I feel more confident because I feel like every pound I lose through this transformation is proof to myself just how strong I am, and just how much determination and will I have to do it. Yes, you'll see contestants losing 15 pounds and being ecstatic, but if you look closer you'll notice that the time they seem to feel most accomplished and happy is after a challenge or something similar, like the marathons they do in the later seasons. They look back on where they started and realize just how strong they are compared to how much they were before. I don't know about anyone else, but what I've learned so far is that my physical strength comes through my mental will, and that makes me feel better than I ever have. (So don't tell me I'm watching the show or losing weight for the wrong reasons.)
  • Naomi_84
    Naomi_84 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I can believe this entirely, it's like any reality show; The X Factor or anything. They are TV programmes, the producers have no interest in the mental or physical wellbeing of any of the contestants it is ALL about ratings and money. I think the sooner everybody in society sees these programmes for what they really are the better.
  • samhradh
    samhradh Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    I already didn't like the show because one of the challenges is to be sat in front of some kind of unhealthy food (snickers/mars bar, packet of crisps etc) and resist the temptation to eat it. That just seems so damn counterproductive. Now I still don't like it ah ha.

Anyone who wants to be inspired to lose weight and get healthy should watch a 2 part series called "Living in a house with food obsessives". Realistic, non-exploitative, genuine good advice about getting happy and healthy and most importantly, no pressure. That is what kick started my current weight losing/fitness improving effort.
  • lynheff
    lynheff Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. As an RN and someone who has had a weight problem all her life, I have hated the show from the beginning. It doesn't teach anything valuable to people trying to lose weight. If you don't come up with a sustainable lifestyle that you can live with, it isn't going to work in the long term. And 8 hrs a day in a gym isn't a sustainable lifestyle. I agree that there was no reason to weigh people wearing skimpy clothes just so all of us could see their fat parts. I think the show just sets the rest of us up for failure with the thinking that goes " If she can lose 10 pounds this week, why can't I lose even two. I must be a bad person". My experience is that I can make myself feel bad without any help from the outside. This site is a much better alternative! We KNOW we are great people who just have a problem and we support each other as we deal with it. BOOS to Jillian Michaels! Kudos to MFP
  • lynheff
    lynheff Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I love Kellehj's line " physical strength comes from mental will". Amen to that! If I weren't so lazy I would embroider that on a cushion :laugh: It wouldn't be a bad idea to put it on the mirror next to the weight bench!
  • jayb0ne
    jayb0ne Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Well.. Me and the fiance watch it and we say every week there must be something pretty unhealthy going on for them to be losing those kinds of pounds. If you're losing 4% of your body weight every week consistently, there's something wrong... It took me 4 months to lose 16.5% of my body weight healthily at a steady weekly loss and the fiance lost about 11.5% in the same time frame.

But then we know a thing or two about nutrition, fitness and weight loss. I can imagine that 95% of the people who watch the show won't realise what's going on and will potentially think that 12lb a week is a good number...
  • Melmade
    Melmade Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    this is old.

I hadn't seen it before.