This really TICKS ME OFF.

Options

Replies

• manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    A US size 10 is a UK size 14.
    We would consider this to be rather large in England..

I have known more than one person who is quite thin and wears a size 10.

But do you mean a UK size 10 or a US size 10.. This is where it gets very confusing!
    If your a UK 10 then u are nice and slim..
    But according to the fact that a UK 10 is a US 6. Then i would imagine that a UK 14 is a US 10.
    And a UK size 18 is our cut off point, i think you have to get clothes made if you are bigger than that.. Or mayeb its 20..
    Which is like a US 14, if im getting my calculations right..
    Its hard to picture how big someone is when they wear a foreign clothes size.

UK Sizes are two sizes above US sizes so a 10 US would be a 14 UK. I consider an18 UK as the start of plus size purely because the average woman in the UK is a size 16 according to surveys. The thing I hate is small medium and large because somehow a large never is :sad:
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options

I think we need to just stop worrying so much about inconsistent numbers and focus more on being happy and healthy.

AMEN to this!!!!!!!!!!

+infinity
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Well, crap... I must be easy to please... I was dancing down the halls at work when I got into my first pair of pants that didn't have a W after the size! Now I am in a size 12 US. Plus Size here is anything size 18 and over or that has a W in it.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Just gonna throw this out there...female clothing manufacturers are allowed a +/- inch leeway in their measurements. So two pairs of size 10 pants could be up to two inches different in actual fit.
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Looking back at other posts, yeah, women's sizes are pretty insane. I have found that by shopping at one store, thereby sticking to one size standard (for the most part... even this gets crazy sometimes) I have a better guage of the visible physical changes. We cannot even trust mirrors because some shops install mirrors that make us look taller ergo thinner in hopes we will spend more money!
    Can't a chick catch a break?!?
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Thats just wrong!!!! Someone in a size 10 would not be over weight..maybe if you were 3inches high...............Size 16 and up as far as i am concerned is a plus size....thats why so many ppl feel bad about themselves and feel like they almost need to starve themselves to look right or fit in with our society....if your a healthy weight for your height, then good for you and feel good about yourself.....ppl dont need to be walking around pencil thin, and thats what ppl are made to feel.

I'm a size 10 and am overweight for sure.
  • MrsFarrow
    MrsFarrow Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Thats just wrong!!!! Someone in a size 10 would not be over weight..maybe if you were 3inches high...............Size 16 and up as far as i am concerned is a plus size....thats why so many ppl feel bad about themselves and feel like they almost need to starve themselves to look right or fit in with our society....if your a healthy weight for your height, then good for you and feel good about yourself.....ppl dont need to be walking around pencil thin, and thats what ppl are made to feel.

But how tall are you? Again, I think height has a lot to do with it. Like I said previously, I was a size 12, sometimes a 10 and was told by my doc I shouldn't lose much more weight. I looked sick. I'm also 5'9.
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of a funny story. A friend of mine shopped at Lane Bryant for some unknown reason and the shirt she bought was too big so she returned it. She asked the clerk whey they didn't carry size 10. She said they glared at her and said that it was a plus-size store, so she told them, "Well, gosh, 10 is double digits! That's plus size!" I can only imagine how much they wanted to throttle her. :laugh:

I had a tiny friend, probably size 4-6 if I had to guess, and she was shopping for some bras and asked me if I ever bought any at Lane Bryant...I laughed and said no hun, but I don't think you find one there either. She blew me off and walked right in and asked if they had 34B bras and if she could look at them...OHHHH, there were some very upset ladies in that store.

Disclaimer: She is slightly dingy to begin with...but I really didn't think she was clueless about LB.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    How the hell do women even measure sizes?

Guys is inches.

36" is the waist in pants.

16" is the circumference of the neck of a dress shirt

12 is the shoe size, that's also 12"

WTF is a womans size 10?

I've never understood this. Then again, I've never researched it.

Semi-related i posted a few days ago, earlier this summer i bought a 'small' dresshirt. Best fitting shirt I've ever boughten. But I'm far from 'small'. I'm 6'0" and at the time about 200lbs.

Sizes nowadays are a lot larger then they were 10 or even 20yrs ago.

Ever try on a 'medium' from the 80s? Its like an XS.

People are getting larger.

I seriously would just love to buy pants, shirts and everything by the measurement. Life would be so much simpler. Especially because I tall. I could never find pants long enough so when I was in high school I started buying men's jeans. A size 10 at one store could be a lot bigger/smaller than the next store. It is annoying.
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    If the pants look hot on me, then I don't care what the number says...unless the size is listed on the outside of the pants. I'm guessing that if the size is listed on the outside of my jeans then I probably won't wear them..haha
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    It more so makes me feel down about myself. Went from 20 to a 16 to a 16 almost 14 and still am "very plus sized" . Its dumb but it takes away from my confidence BIG time,
    What makes me mad mad though is that it seems any bra size above a C is doomed to be ugly! Oh why bother making the bras for actual tits pretty?! HMPH >;] but nooooooooo size A has all the lace and ribbons of a princess! (not hating on anyones boobs just the stupid bra manufacturers :p )
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    It more so makes me feel down about myself. Went from 20 to a 16 to a 16 almost 14 and still am "very plus sized" . Its dumb but it takes away from my confidence BIG time,
    What makes me mad mad though is that it seems any bra size above a C is doomed to be ugly! Oh why bother making the bras for actual tits pretty?! HMPH >;] but nooooooooo size A has all the lace and ribbons of a princess! (not hating on anyones boobs just the stupid bra manufacturers :p )

Try finding something bigger than a DD that isn't designed to look like an industrial strength breast containment device. For real.

Nordstrom has some nice stuff in a range of sizes, but sometimes they are $$$. Lane Bryant has a line called Cacique with some very pretty things, but sucks for me b/c the smallest band size is a 36 and I need a 34.
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options

But how tall are you? Again, I think height has a lot to do with it. Like I said previously, I was a size 12, sometimes a 10 and was told by my doc I shouldn't lose much more weight. I looked sick. I'm also 5'9.
    I'm 5'2.
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options

Try finding something bigger than a DD that isn't designed to look like an industrial strength breast containment device. For real.

Nordstrom has some nice stuff in a range of sizes, but sometimes they are $$$. Lane Bryant has a line called Cacique with some very pretty things, but sucks for me b/c the smallest band size is a 36 and I need a 34.

I know your pain depending on brand I am either a DD or a DDD 36-38. Like I said depending on where I'm shopping, :D hah industrial strength breast containment device!? That's the best description I've EVER heard! :D Sadly true though :0
    Ohh I've never really heard of them before, the only brand I really know is Ana which has decent ones but are also pricey :/
  • UnderCoverShyGirl
    UnderCoverShyGirl Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Very interesting topic. When i wore a size 12 (at 5'8") i felt almost svelte LOL, though i realize i was technically "plus size". My sister who had a very narrow build, wore maybe a size 6 or 8 and my grandmother mentioned she seemed to be "gaining" weight...she seemed almost too skinny to me, but i guess her tummy was pooching or something....(at least that is how i remember it, don't quote me! lol)

My son's girlfriend i think is a size 6 right now, over a year after having a baby, and she visited me at work. She's about 5'2" and i consider her very small, but she does have a "middle" now which i mostly attribute to wearing the low rise jeans a size two tight (if it was old school normal waist, i doubt anyone would know she has any leftover at all). When she left the building, the receptionist (who i love, but is 23 and maybe a size 14 and tall) said "I didn't think your son would date a "thick" girl. It blew me away that what she is seeing in her "young" generation is that any girl at size 6 would be referred to as "thick".

I think a lot does depend on height, body fat/bmi, and all those things....unfortunately in fashion, we are a number, but i do think we should disregard and not care about that number and just look at ourselves and our individual beauty whether or not it is stick thin or thick or whatever!

When i was a "chubbier" kid, all the stores back then (i'm 43 now) were up to a size 9 maybe (all my friends shopped at the 5-7-9 store, remember that one?) and I was a 12 or 14 and could only find clothes at lane bryant since back in the day the regular stores like jc penney etc. did not go up that high. I used to be sooo humiliated to have to walk into that store. One day when i was an adult, i was talking to another person about it, and they told me that they had the same problem, and their husband told them "Ummm, it's not like people don't know that you have a few extra pounds and might shop at lane bryant." While that sounded incredibly uncool for a spouse to say, it really changed the way i thought about it...it's true. If we are sporting some extra pounds, people see it, regardless of what size the tag reads, and if we are trim and fit, people see it, again regardless of what size the tag reads ;-)
  • Collinsky
    Collinsky Posts: 593 Member
    Options

Ditto... I'm down to a 10 now, but definitely still overweight. I have friends who wear larger sizes but they are not overweight -- they're taller, have a different frame, etc... but it's TOTALLY possible to be overweight at a size 10.

I remember reading a bunch of blog posts a few months ago about people in the 10-12 size range -- you can't always find clothes that fit you in "regular" size departments which are geared toward the 6s and 8s, but if you go into a plus-size store at that size, there's a good chance you'll offend those who feel like it's a slap in the face for a size 12 to waltz in and whine about having trouble finding clothes. (Even if that person didn't waltz or whine at all.) It's kind of a "between size" that doesn't fit in with the slim ladies OR the plus size ladies.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options

I know your pain depending on brand I am either a DD or a DDD 36-38. Like I said depending on where I'm shopping, :D hah industrial strength breast containment device!? That's the best description I've EVER heard! :D Sadly true though :0
    Ohh I've never really heard of them before, the only brand I really know is Ana which has decent ones but are also pricey :/

Oh, and on top of the size thing just try being a breastfeeding mom and looking for nursing bras. You have to worry about the industruality thing AND hope that the dang thing will be easy to operate when your little one is screaming. Undergarments should not be this complicated! LOL
  • konatreehugger
    Options
    ok, so here's my thought... I am 5 ft tall, weigh 120 lbs right now and have a BF% of 18% ~ I'm wearing a size 0-4, depending on what department I'm shopping in. No matter how much weight I lose, I'm in a constant battle to lose more because of what the numbers say I should weigh - I was a rock climber my whole life, and the legs are very muscular... WHAT MOST OF THE WORLD DOES NOT UNDERSTAND IS THAT EVERYONE IS MADE DIFFERENT. That's why BMI rates are so important... it measures a RANGE of healthy, instead of solid weight numbers. If you feel Sexy, you are sexy...If you feel overweight, you are. If we concentrate on the best reason we're trying to lose weight, for ourselves and our HEALTH, WE WILL ALWAYS STRIVE TO BE HEALTHY and sizes won't matter. And remember, MUSCLE WEIGHS MORE THAN FAT.
  • Dragongrl
    Dragongrl Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Plus size models are usually size 8.
    When I was a size 8 I weighed 115lbs at 5'5". And I was a bean pole. Go figure.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

My supervisor is 5'10" and a size 6 and she looks great.