Coffee Problem

Options
mtaratoot
mtaratoot Posts: 13,231 Member
I just read something that made me laugh:

"I don't have a coffee problem. Honestly. Okay, I have a coffee problem, but it's not really a problem as long as I continue to get coffee."

I happen to really enjoy coffee as well. I certainly don't think it's a problem as long as I don't have caffeinated after about 13:00 or it interferes with my sleep. I used to eschew decaf. I'd say, "What's the point?" Well, the point is that there are some really delicious decaffeinated beans available, and they make a fine cup.

I don't have a problem.

Yes, I do single serve pour-over. Yes I use unbleached paper filters. Yes I rinse them first to get any stray fibers out. Yes I preheat my mug during the winter - no need in the summer. Yes I drink it without any pollutants. Yes I've even started to weigh my beans before I grind them. Yes I usually pour just a little near-boiling water on the grounds to let them bloom before I make the cup.

I don't have a problem.

Yes I have made cold-brewed coffee overnight. I had to stop doing that. Too smooth and too easy to just drink the whole batch in a few days. Yes sometimes in the summer I make an extra cup and put it in a jar and put it in the refrigerator to have in the afternoon on ice. Summertime I can drink a little bit after 13:00. And as far as polluted coffee goes, a splash of evaporated milk in an iced coffee with a little vanilla is a fine treat every now and then.

Would it be a problem if I couldn't continue to get coffee? Maybe. I probably should put some high-quality instant coffee in my emergency kit, because I never have a two-week supply of beans, and certainly not in the days before I go to the store.

It can't be a problem. I don't even have a burr grinder. Can you believe that? It's a sacrilege. I could lose my coffee license for that offense. Nah. But I don't have one.... yet.

Guess who the author of the original statement was.

Do you love coffee?

Is it a problem?

Want to share your favorite roast or blend or brewing method?
Tagged:

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,393 Member
    Options
    I sometimes drink a cup. Mostly coffee with cardamom from my local Arab shop. Just put the powder into a small pot, this on my stove, and then try to get as much coffee out without too much sediment and drink from an old yogurt glass that I found in the woods on Åland. Exotic enough? 😅

Honestly, I mostly drink tea. Green or fruit infusions. Fairly weak as I have a big mug. No sugar or milk.
  • AdahPotatah2024
    AdahPotatah2024 Posts: 992 Member
    edited January 30
    Options
    ☝️🤪
    This is what happens to those of us who love coffee, haha.
    It has antioxidants!
    I have some local favorites, but rotate the ones that go on sale at the grocery store. Just stocked up on $3 bags of Dunkin Donut Holiday Blend.

My guess. George Burns?

• drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 982 Member
    edited January 30
    Options
    I get 700g of beans delivered each week (350g espresso; 350g filter). I use Square Mile, a London company, who send a different type each week. My favourite is probably relatively acidic light roasted ones, like Kenyans. I do like a naturally processed one now and again, but I wouldn't want all my coffee natural. (Most is probably washed process, with honey processed second,.) They are probably medium roasters when compared to speciality coffee as a whole, but very light when compared with coffee overall.

For filters, I normally go for v60 although I have possibly too many solutions knocking around (French press, Aeropress, mocha pot, syphon, Hario switch, filter machine and a few others). I recently bought a Fellow Ode as my filter grinder; I have some SSP multi-purpose burrs I may put into it; but I'm currently test running the Gen 2 Fellow ones. Before that, I used a Niche Zero. I have a Kinu hand grinder to keep me caffinated if I'm away diving or caving.

For espresso, I have a Decent DE1 Pro. It is a very good machine. I use a Turing DF 83 grinder for this; it seems to work well and I can normally get a very decent cup.

I normally go for my coffee black, with no sugar. I'll occaissonally have a crack at doing latte art, which I'm not very good at.

I have vaguely been thinking of buying a roaster and getting green beans, but I'm not sure I have space for it.

I like coffee!

• mtaratoot
    Options
    I used to use a coffee press, but I haven't in a long time. It makes tasty coffee. The four reasons I almost never use it anymore are:
    • I hate cleaning it.
    • It makes a liter at a time; the second cup will be cold by the time I get to it.
    • The coffee that's left in the press continues to brew when I pour the first cup. Not only that, because there are still small bits of coffee in the cup, it even continues to brew in my cup.
    • I read about caffestol. It's correlated with increased serum cholesterol. Paper filters remove it.

When on the river, I have used a variety of methods depending on who's in charge of coffee:
    • I have a large pour-over filter and an air pot. I can make a pot fairly quickly, and it stays hot. If it looks like we need more, I can boil water before the first pot is even empty. The second pot is ready soon after it's needed, and I can put any leftovers in the raft to have with lunch or when we get to camp.
    • One friend uses a method that works really well. He puts coarse coffee in a nylon bag and puts it in the coffee pot with cold water the evening before and leaves it overnight. In the morning he puts the pot on the stove and gets it close to boiling, and it's done. It makes good coffee.
    • Another friend has a really good method that makes surprisingly good "cowboy coffee." He boils water, then pours the grounds on top, then stirs them in. Then he sets a timer. When the time is up, he pours a little cold water on top to settle the grounds, then waits a few minutes more. We strain that through a steel strainer into an insulated container for serving.
    • I was on one trip where someone brought a percolator. He said my method "took too long." I used to enjoy percolated coffee. It is NOT fast, and it uses a fair bit of fuel if you're doing it on a propane stove. I asked him one morning how long he perked it for. His reply, "Just until it turns brown." No wonder it wasn't very good. It was just brown water. As it turns out, he doesn't even DRINK coffee. Note to everyone: NEVER EVER let someone who doesn't drink coffee be in charge of making coffee for a group. I was glad I had a stash of Starbuck's instant coffee packets that someone had given me a couple years early "for emergency use." They turned my coffee into something resembling coffee. There's more to this story that I'll share soon.....

It was NOT Rodney Dangerfield, but that's a good guess. More contemporary. Hint: it was in a cooking book I got from the library a couple weeks ago.
  • tuckahoe88
    tuckahoe88 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I love coffee, too and have always felt that my adoration of it was quite advanced compared to other folks. BUT...After reading the posts above, I now feel like a rank amateur. Maybe a good cup of shade-grown will lift my spirits.😆
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    It was NOT Rodney Dangerfield, but that's a good guess. More contemporary. Hint: it was in a cooking book I got from the library a couple weeks ago.

Clearly I misspelled George Burns.....
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,457 Member
    Options
    I came to coffee only a couple years ago.

My first coffee maker was an ikea French press, which shattered on the second use. That’s when I discovered Aeropress and I haven’t looked back.

I used to like it with flavored syrups, but now just use a quarter cup of frothed skim milk.

Have tried local roasts, store brands etc, but really like Community Coffee, which is a southern brand.

Quick and easy for me. I can’t even comprehend half of what yall are saying.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    The person who wrote the quote in question uses an Aeropress and believes it is an essential piece of kitchen equipment. I haven't used one yet. This person also has a recipe for cold brew and says that's mostly what they drink. Probably not the best hints....
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Just by chance, a friend sent me an article from BBC about how a new genetic map of coffee's DNA may result in better coffee in our future. Probably not any time too soon, but hey - good news is good news!

• BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    I prefer espresso, so I have a Moka pot. It gives me two cups, which is just right. Most of the time I just add a packet of Equal. If I want it flavored, I'll add a teaspoon of good vanilla extract and put 2 oz of either oat milk or soy milk in a little jar and shake it until foamy and pour that on top. Certainly not a coffee expert, obviously!

So, who said the quote? Or I may have missed it...
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Thanks for reminding me - I should get my Moka pot out and make a cup. I haven't used it in a long time. I wonder how well it will work on my glass range. I bet it will be OK. For sure a good cup.

It wasn't George Burns or Rodney Dangerfield. It also wasn't Frank Sinatra or Anthony Bourdain. Aside from that, I'm not spilling the (coffee) beans just yet....
  • yirara
    Options
    A moka pot once killed a glass stove as unbelievable as it sounds. Was living in a very hot and at times very humid country. Middle of summer, close to 50C. Am out briefly. Air conditioning fails and (just guessing) a water droplet falls from ceiling and switches on the stove. The moka pot still stands on that particular cooking zone. Return home, find massive smoke, a hole in the glass (seriously) and a molten moka handle. Well, that's one coffee problem 😬 Employer was paying for the house and replaced the stove. But still... 🙈
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    A moka pot once killed a glass stove as unbelievable as it sounds. Was living in a very hot and at times very humid country. Middle of summer, close to 50C. Am out briefly. Air conditioning fails and (just guessing) a water droplet falls from ceiling and switches on the stove. The moka pot still stands on that particular cooking zone. Return home, find massive smoke, a hole in the glass (seriously) and a molten moka handle. Well, that's one coffee problem 😬 Employer was paying for the house and replaced the stove. But still... 🙈

Well... I guess I'm not getting out the Moka pot unless I break out the camping stove.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,153 Member
    edited January 31
    Options
    Is commercial coffee a problem? ;)

i3ao03876jr7.jpg

That's one of today's coffees, from my favorite local.

My home routine is coffee beans usually from a good local roaster (varied types/origins/roasts), non-fancy blade-type grinder, water heated in an old-style whistling tea kettle on my gas stovetop, porcelain filter holder with paper #2 cone filters, oodles of hot skim milk (sometimes frothed with a Ninja non-electric frother, if I'm feeling energetic and fancy), nice artisan pottery mug that fits my giant hands perfectly.

7qpy5b4bd9br.jpg

I don't think that's a problem. As a bonus, it's a good protein source for its small number of calories. ;)

• mtaratoot
    Options
    I am going to try this in the next few days, and maybe even tonight. It's a recipe for "Cold Brew Coffee."

Ingredients:
    • 40 g coarse ground coffee
    • 100 grams boiling water
    • Pinch of kosher salt
    • 200 grams ice
    • 100 grams cold water

Method:
    • Weigh the coffee into a pint jar
    • Add boiling water, stir, let sit three minutes
    • Add salt and ice; add cold water
    • Close the jar tightly and refrigerate six hours
    • Filter out grounds
    • Add ice
    • Enjoy

In the past when I've made iced coffee, I just make coffee in a pour-over and then chill it before adding ice. I'm wondering if I could tell the difference. Maybe I should make some each way and do a taste test.

Just to repeat in case there's any confusion: I don't have a problem.

Oh. Yeah. This recipe came from the person who wrote the original thing that made me laugh and start this thread.
  • yirara
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    yirara wrote: »

Well... I guess I'm not getting out the Moka pot unless I break out the camping stove.

I'm sorry, I'm so sorry 😬
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    I am considering buying an Aeropress.

And...

It was Alton Brown.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    Oh, I knew it! I was going to guess Alton yesterday, but got busy at work. Sounds like him...
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    MMMM Coffee!!!!

• mtaratoot
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Oh, I knew it! I was going to guess Alton yesterday, but got busy at work. Sounds like him...

I should have waited until tomorrow to disclose it so you could have won the big prize. Instead, I win the prize. More coffee!