Starting over alcohol free

Options

Replies

• SparkSpringtime69
    SparkSpringtime69 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    I say well done because I’ve lived with someone who was deep in and has come through it all. I know how difficult it can be. My advise is too stop counting days and replace with I don’t drink. Instead of I gave up, say I don’t drink. It applies to everything.

Don’t identify as someone who is giving up or gave up. Identify as what you are now. Not what you were. It’s already in the past.

Good luck too you all.

Paul, thank you for this comment - I don't want to be spending my life keeping track of days that I did or did not drink. I keep telling myself that, when someone I know asks why I'm not drinking, I can just say I don't drink anymore. No need to explain why or how long it's been.
    Of course everyone is different, and I guess for some it helps them to know they have x number of alcohol-free days under their belt. Thanks for the encouragement.
  • SparkSpringtime69
    Options
    @kimby563 I've been drinking just wine for a while now, but alcohol is alcohol and it really does take a toll on your health. And the calories it adds to your day - yikes. Good luck to you.
    @Darlene_Oregon if you want to answer someone directly, put the ampersand @ in front of their name like I did with yours here in this post. You just have to make sure you spell the name exactly (or copy and paste). Best wishes to you on your journey.
  • Darlene_Oregon
    Darlene_Oregon Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    @SparkSpringtime69
    Thank you for your help. I hope I did it right!
    I will keep you all posted.
  • SparkSpringtime69
    Options
    @Darlene_Oregon, perfect!!
  • AmberlyMarlene
    AmberlyMarlene Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    @Gsaunders02 have you reached out to a doctor? I feel like there's probably more going on then. They might want to run some blood tests. I drank similarly and quit for a few months, but added some working out and eating healthy and I lost quite a bit of weight. That was a while ago and I had gone back to my habits and gained back the weight plus some. Now I'm at about 2 weeks no drinking, no increased exercise, but I do eat a calorie restricted diet and I'm down 7 lbs.

I don't think you should give up on quitting drinking though. Even if your weight or sleep hasn't changed yet, it's still good for your liver. Mine is damaged and that's my motivation outside of weight loss to not drink. Part of what's helping is I got on anxiety meds as I was basically self medicating until it became a habit I couldn't get away from. I wish you the best.
  • jonimparent
    jonimparent Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm grateful to see your post this morning. Today, I will not drink with you. In the past, I felt my best when I was not drinking alcohol. I need to remind myself of that. Thank you for your post. I'm sending you good vibes that you attain all of your goals today and all the days ahead. You inspire me.
  • gustavsen22
    gustavsen22 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Rome wasn't built in a day. But you can do this one day at a time. 19 years sober here. I'm a far better version of myself and others lives are positively impacted every day that I am sober. Life will still be life, but the grass is greener, the sun is warmer and lifes joys are less fleeting.
    If you look into the 12 step program, it's not just about not drinking, it's about achieving sobriety. Among other things, you should consider finding a higher power in your life and turn your will over to them. That means different things to different people, but if you are an alcoholic or addict or a wretch like me, that step is a requirement. But step 1 is to recognize you have a problem, so I'd start there.
    Physical health is the smaller benefit to what you can gain by dropping alcohol out of your life and embracing things that strengthen you instead of weakening you. You can do this.
  • SparkSpringtime69
    Options
    Small update from me. I slipped and had an IPA on Sunday. I had to nurse my wounds after the Lions crashed and burned in the second half on Sunday. I regret it. I felt instant guilt because I know people are cheering me on. I have a stupid high tolerance so I never felt anything from it, but it is what it is. Still quitting drinking.

Quit 1/17, one beer 1/28, back to pushing forward.

Good for you for stopping at just one!! That's a great accomplishment. Hang in, you're doing great.
  • SparkSpringtime69
    Options
    MHCJ404 wrote: »
    So my dry January did not go as well as planned - due to being diagnosed with a benign brain tumor. Unfortunately this isn't my first rodeo, but it's radiation this time around, the first time it was surgery 10 years ago. February will be filled with MRI's, CT's and radiation treatments and I need to feel my best by taking care of myself. That includes cutting out the alcohol and getting back to tracking. I tend to eat pretty healthy, but the wine isn't helping and I'm much more accountable when it's on the app in black and white. The previous posts are keeping me encouraged.

Sorry to hear about the tumor, hopefully you get through the treatments quickly and bounce back to a healthy you.
  • elizabethhoberg
    elizabethhoberg Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Don't detox on your own. It's dangerous and can be deadly. Check in with a medical professional. Drinking jacks your cortisol which messes with your metabolism and sleep. Sober 37.8 years. :smile:
  • SparkSpringtime69
    Options
    My dry January was about 50% dry. But, considering the fact that Oct, Nov and Dec of last year were almost 100% wet, I'm counting it as a win.
    I'm going to work for 100% in February. It's the shortest month of the year so that'll help LOL.
    I do need to find some other ways to deal with stress - I've been eating a lot more and that just won't do since I still have 25 lbs. to lose. I'm thinking meditation might help. Has anyone else here tried that?
  • lindsayrogersrd
    lindsayrogersrd Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    kimby563 wrote: »
    I am back with MFP and hoping to lose 50 pounds. Wine has been a problem for me for a while now - all of a sudden I realized that it's been daily for years & I know for the most part it's a habit. I am now 60, I am single and live alone & don't have someone asking me if I need that wine or that snack at night. No one here to make me accountable. I now need to make myself accountable by logging everything I eat and drink on my MFP. I need to make exercise a priority again also. I am fortunate to have a wonderful family & great friends and 5 grandchildren - I want to feel better and be more active and be healthy for myself and those who love me. I also have a trip coming up in mid-May to meet my co-workers for the first time in person, which will be a much more positive experience if I'm down a few pounds! I hope to motivate and be motivated by this group! Good luck to everyone on their journey - it IS a journey!

This resonates with me. After parenting through a pandemic and then 2 layoffs within 12 months, I woke up one day and realized I was having 1-2 glasses of wine a night. Not a physical dependence, but a habitual and unhealthy coping mechanism. It also contributed to 20 lbs. of weight gain. I've been doing well with breaking the habit! I have a cruise at the end of April. My goal is to just feel confident in a bathing suit again.
  • Born2Run1958
    Born2Run1958 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I cannot completely relate, but I truly understand the position people are in. I have always been a casual drinker, but when my mom died in 2018 it nearly killed me and boy the drinking amped up. I was in so much pain I thought I would die or die trying outrun the pain. Then the pandemic hit and being self employed (professional pet sitter for 23 years) I had no work for two years, used all my savings of which a large portion I spent on Belvedere vodka. Having said all of this, things are on track and have been for a long time. From Thanksgiving through New Years, it is party, party, party. My birthday is in the middle of December and so I have a solid run of fun. My last drink was 7pm on New Years Eve. One of my clients reached out to meet for martinis tomorrow 2nd. She was also doing dry January. I have some trepidation about having a drink tomorrow cause I know it really ruins my sleep. Any thoughts from the group?
  • PAR1251
    PAR1251 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    @Born2Run1958 Only you can decide if drinking tomorrow is right for you. Will your drinking stay on track and "casual" as you called it, or will it eventually spiral out of control? If it was me, I know what would happen. It might take a while, but I'd be right back where I was, hating how I felt, overwhelming anxiety, scared that I was killing myself, wasting tons of money on alcohol, gaining weight, etc. Give it some thought, decide if you find benefit in drinking alcohol or if you can build a better life without it. Sending good energy your way and remember, you deserve the very best life you can create.
  • radosuaf
    radosuaf Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Dry January completed :). The longest period without alcohol at all in years. And still not drinking, we'll see how long will I manage.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!