Just Give Me 10 Days - Round 249

Options

Replies

• deepwoodslady
    deepwoodslady Posts: 10,814 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I need some help here.

What is on my mind: As a diabetic I want to protect my kidneys (protein is tough on them). However, as an older person over 60 and someone trying to lose weight, I want to protect my muscle.

When I google my recommended protein intake, all the calculators and manual mathematical calculations put me at about 65 or 66 grams per day. That seems low to me and so very easy to reach. And yet I read all the posts on so many challenges where people are eating protein bars, drinking protein shakes etc. trying to reach their goals. I'm confused. Even Harvard Medical School is recommending 65 gr per my weight.

I would love it if those of you that have time will chime in on this for me. I'm looking for your opinions as well as your knowledge and/or experience with it. I need to know if I should tweak my macros. Right now I have mine set for 25% which gives me grams that are often much higher than the recommendations.

Thanks for any help you guys can give. I am posting this on a couple of my challenges and look forward to any and all responses.

Donna
  • refactored
    refactored Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    @deepwoodslady do you have kidney disease or any kidney problems? Is there someone at your diabetes clinic who you can ring and find out what protein level is appropriate for you?

I found this quote from https://dtc.ucsf.edu/living-with-diabetes/diet-and-nutrition/understanding-protein/
    For most people with diabetes, the amount of protein you need is the same as for people without diabetes. The National Institutes of Medicine recommend protein should typically provide 10-35% of total calories.
  • tiabirdie56
    tiabirdie56 Posts: 3,980 Member
    Options
    Donna, @deepwoodslady, Aleve usually does help with my pain. I only take 1 pill when absolutely necessary. That gives me pain relief for about 3 days. I'll take two pills if chronic joint pain is hindering me from what I need to do. That will will work for a week. I never had bursitis and sciatic pain at the same time. On the worst day, I cried all day and that was with 2 aleve.
    This bursitis with sciatica flare up I think was brought on by shoveling snow.
  • tiabirdie56
    tiabirdie56 Posts: 3,980 Member
    Options
    Concerning a diabetics protein intake. Yeah I'm on it Donna. @deepwoodslady. I've been getting emails from this website for the past year. I've done this for my husband and had to consider raising his protein when he started taking ozempic. I observe him and ask questions because he does not give up information easily.

I give him 2 boiled eggs(12g), 2 turkey sausage patties(13g) for breakfast
    Lunch protein is 4ozs chicken breast (21g), a 5oz yogurt(15g) or 1/2 cup cottage cheese(13g) Approximate total 80g protein. Dinner could be 6ozs chicken breast(46g) 8ozs chicken (62g) or 5ozs, chuck roast(43g), 6ozs salmon(34g) or 8ozs tilapia(60g)

So, 80g during the day plus whatever dinner is and minimal amounts of protein from vegetables, he eats from 120g-140+g of protein daily. 1600-2000 calories

https://diatribe.org/protein-and-diabetes-what-you-need-know#:~:text=You might have heard – or,way to prevent kidney damage.

■The American Diabetes Association (ADA) does not recommend a specific amount of protein, but if you currently get less than 15-20% of your calories from protein, this is a good range to aim for. If you eat 2,000 calories per day, then about 300-400 of those calories would come from protein, which is about 75-100 grams of protein.

If you don’t keep track of your daily total calories, you can use the kilogram formula above to make sure you are getting enough protein. First, divide your weight in pounds by 2.2. If you weigh 170 pounds, that is equal to 77 kilograms (rounded off). That number is also the minimum number of grams of protein recommended for you. Then, multiply 77 by 1.5, and you get a maximum number of 116 grams of protein per day. For instance:

A 170-pound person would eat about 77-116 grams of protein each day.

A 200-pound person would eat about 90-136 grams of protein each day.■

Hope this helps.

• Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,914 Member
    edited February 3
    Options
    Thanks @tiabirdie56
    Sounds like my 80 or more goal is right for me. Good to know. I'll keep trying to hit it. 95 today.
  • deepwoodslady
    deepwoodslady Posts: 10,814 Member
    Options
    Concerning a diabetics protein intake. Yeah I'm on it Donna. @deepwoodslady. I've been getting emails from this website for the past year. I've done this for my husband and had to consider raising his protein when he started taking ozempic. I observe him and ask questions because he does not give up information easily.

I give him 2 boiled eggs(12g), 2 turkey sausage patties(13g) for breakfast
    Lunch protein is 4ozs chicken breast (21g), a 5oz yogurt(15g) or 1/2 cup cottage cheese(13g) Approximate total 80g protein. Dinner could be 6ozs chicken breast(46g) 8ozs chicken (62g) or 5ozs, chuck roast(43g), 6ozs salmon(34g) or 8ozs tilapia(60g)

So, 80g during the day plus whatever dinner is and minimal amounts of protein from vegetables, he eats from 120g-140+g of protein daily. 1600-2000 calories

https://diatribe.org/protein-and-diabetes-what-you-need-know#:~:text=You might have heard – or,way to prevent kidney damage.

■The American Diabetes Association (ADA) does not recommend a specific amount of protein, but if you currently get less than 15-20% of your calories from protein, this is a good range to aim for. If you eat 2,000 calories per day, then about 300-400 of those calories would come from protein, which is about 75-100 grams of protein.

If you don’t keep track of your daily total calories, you can use the kilogram formula above to make sure you are getting enough protein. First, divide your weight in pounds by 2.2. If you weigh 170 pounds, that is equal to 77 kilograms (rounded off). That number is also the minimum number of grams of protein recommended for you. Then, multiply 77 by 1.5, and you get a maximum number of 116 grams of protein per day. For instance:

A 170-pound person would eat about 77-116 grams of protein each day.

A 200-pound person would eat about 90-136 grams of protein each day.■

Hope this helps.

@tiabirdie56 Wow! Thank for all the info. I like that it includes the way to get both the lower and the upper range. I was way way off on what the safe levels are. Thanks so much.
  • quiltingjaine
    quiltingjaine Posts: 5,823 Member
    Options
    I’m here (for the moment) and enjoying myself. Saturday (tomorrow) is our last sewing day. I go home Sunday and will try to catch up with everyone.

I hope everyone is doing well.