Starting over alcohol free

Options

Replies

• bennyg1973
    bennyg1973 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I am day 26 I believe on not drinking. I've noticed more energy, positive feeling, sharper thinking, weight loss, more motivation... All good things.
  • PAR1251
    PAR1251 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    @radosuaf Well done!!! You can stay sober. Sobriety is worth every effort you can put forth and you are worthy of an awesome life. Choose wisely today and let the future take care of itself.
    2qdmasn7jpa2.png
  • SparkSpringtime69
    SparkSpringtime69 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    @radosuaf Congrats on your dry January - keep up the healthy streak!
    @bennyg1973 you're getting great benefits at 26 days - keep up the good work and reap even more!
  • Born2Run1958
    Born2Run1958 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Update, had great company, a wonderful meal and two martini's. No impact to speak of; however, I am back in the proverbial saddle. Hope everyone has a great weekend.
  • lilith40
    lilith40 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    So happy to have found all of you. I've abused alcohol for most of my life. When I was young it was the weekend binge. As I got my career and got older it became heavy daily drinking. I have many many memories that I'm not proud of.
    I've been straddling between moderation and abstinence for almost a year now. But often my moderation attempts led to weeks of heavy drinking before I stopped again. So I now know that there really is no moderation for me. It has to be total abstinence. One day at a time I guess.
  • Darlene_Oregon
    Darlene_Oregon Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    @lilith40 I agree, I'm also happy to have found this group. I was doing really good. It's a long story, but I started drinking again. And, I'm having a bit of a problem quitting.
    Where I live and the insurance I have there really is no medical help for me. In 2020 and 2021, I kept going to the ED at the hospital. I know every room there. Finally, one of the doctors told me that they don't detox there. I did have options. But, I would have had to travel 60 miles to the north or 110 miles to the south. Anyways, I eventually got really sick and ended up in the ICU. So technically, they did detox me.
    I guess for people like us it has to be total abstinence. I've tried just drinking socially (like at a restaurant, etc). It sometimes works for a while. But, eventually, it goes back to daily drinking.
    I do have a plan and I will report back.
    Good luck and I'm glad you found us.
  • SparkSpringtime69
    Options
    @Born2Run1958 glad to see you're back, and a pat on the back to you for stopping at 2!
    I'm in the @lilith40 and @Darlene_Oregon camp, moderation for a night or two will usually lead back to heavy drinking for me.
    I'm shooting for a 4-day dry weekend and then the rest of the month. Glad all of you have been finding this group, I hope we're all able to accomplish great things and help each other out along the way.
  • lilith40
    Options
    @Darlen_Oregon - it shouldn't have been so hard for you or anyone else to get help. I'm sorry you had go go through all that. @SparkSpringtime69 yes! I hope we accomplish great things together as well.

To all of us who are aiming to stay sober this weekend - we got this!
  • Born2Run1958
    Born2Run1958 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    One of things that has helped me on MFP is under the notes section I type in all CAPS, NO ALCOHOL and hit save. So all day everyday that I track my note is there reminding me of what is possible. Not to say that any of our food/drink struggles are easier or harder than others; however, it does reel me back in. Just keep me focused on what's possible that every time I log in. I am here for whatever encouragement I can give. Happy Monday!
  • johnd2i
    johnd2i Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    As mentioned in previous posts alcohol is everywhere and normalized even though its a poison. The specs liquor store parking lot is always packed when I drive by it. For anyone trying to quit alcohol and get healthy you have my respect. It is not easy.
  • AmberlyMarlene
    AmberlyMarlene Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    @lilith40 I can completely relate with the all or nothing, and MAN is it hard to choose nothing some days. I drank probably 355 of 365 days last year. It's gonna have to be abstinence for me since I've failed to fix my relationship with alcohol. Hang in there!
  • SparkSpringtime69
    Options
    Well, I did my four-day weekend last weekend (Fri-Mon), then had wine Tues and Wed. But I'm back to no alcohol, pushing for 5 days straight (Thurs [just past] through Mon). I'll see if I can extend it from there as well.
    How's everyone else doing these past few days?
  • Darlene_Oregon
    edited February 11
    Options
    From my last post, people are going to think my husband is enabling me. But, that's not the case. I've been trying to taper off. That's the way I did it a couple of years ago. And, it worked well. I just reduced my intake by 25ml a day and started drinking a half an hour later each day. I'm not sure if I'm where I should be. It's not going as well as last time. But, I'm going to try to quit tomorrow. I'm getting really tired of drinking.
    Before I started drinking again, I ate healthy, weighed and logged my foods for the day. Now, I don't feel like eating and just eat anything when I feel hungry. I was active and had started exercising. Now, I feel weak and my balance is off. I rarely leave the house and taking a shower is scary because of my balance.
    I offered to make carne asada tacos for my husband's B-day and he thought that was a good idea. So, I won't have to travel in two days. He said that he really didn't want to go out anyways.
    I will let you know how it goes.
    Take care everyone!
  • SparkSpringtime69
    Options
    @Darlene_Oregon I agree it gets tougher as we get older. I think that, for me at least, it's become such a habit in my everyday life that I have to find a way to replace it with something different, better, healthier. I too take better care of myself with regards to diet and exercise when I abstain.
    It sounds like you have a plan in place that has worked for you in the past. I wish you the best of luck with it. Take care, and please do let us know how it goes.
  • lilith40
    Options
    @AmberlyMarlene - Good for you!!! It must be nice to have people notice too. I hear you about the sleep - I'm still struggling a bit and it has been since Jan 1st for me with one slip up on the 27th.

@Darlene_Oregon - It is harder the older we get. I think the habit becomes more ingrained. Hang in there I know it is tough but it is so worth it.

@SparkSpringtime69 - Good for you! Four day weekends are tough and if you can do that you can definitely do 5 days!
  • zaxaz
    zaxaz Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    So many inspiring people commenting on here with their paths forward - you guys are awesome, keep it up.

Liquid calories have always been my downfall (and I mean soft drinks as well) so I am avoiding all of them on my mfp journey. So far I have been successful. I have a few social outings coming up which will be the hardest.

One little change I made was I have stopped using the two beer glasses emoji when texting with friends... no need to have beer on my mind all the time.
  • vavallme
    vavallme Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Several years ago, I found a book called "The Alcohol Experiment", written by Annie Grace that walked you through a 30 day sober period. She has an excellent program with lots of online support. While I haven't quit entirely, it is now difficult to drink like I did before since I've learned the science behind alcohol and what it does to you, mentally and physically. I also use an app called "Try Dry". It is a great way to stay accountable to yourself.
  • Darlene_Oregon
    Options
    Hi All,
    For those of you that have quit, did you experience alcohol withdrawal symptoms? I want to quit really bad, but I am afraid of withdrawal symptoms. Any advice?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!