What's Your Most Recent NSV

Options

Replies

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,231 Member
    Options

Well that is indeed interesting. Either the guidance has changed, my memory is getting worse, or both!
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,114 Member
    Options
    Today’s blood pressure at the doctor’s office: 120/65. That still counts as “elevated” but I’m only one point systolic away from normal! 🥳

I'm confused, that reading looks perfect to me, what numbers are considered healthy then?
    These are the norms I'm familiar with:
    "high blood pressure, which is defined as systolic blood pressure of 130 mmHg or above or a diastolic blood pressure of 80 mmHg or above"
  • takinitalloff
    takinitalloff Posts: 1,816 Member
    edited February 10
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    Today’s blood pressure at the doctor’s office: 120/65. That still counts as “elevated” but I’m only one point systolic away from normal! 🥳

I'm confused, that reading looks perfect to me, what numbers are considered healthy then?
    These are the norms I'm familiar with:
    "high blood pressure, which is defined as systolic blood pressure of 130 mmHg or above or a diastolic blood pressure of 80 mmHg or above"

I was actually also surprised that 120/65 isn't considered normal. But the numbers I've seen define normal blood pressure as below 120/80. (If one of the two numbers is above the threshold, that's the one that counts.) Above the normal range comes elevated blood pressure, and then high blood pressure. So you're correct that my reading isn't high enough to be considered high blood pressure; but it is considered "elevated."

Here's a chart from the American Heart Association:
    t6x6rko7b7ta.png
    and one from the Mayo Clinic:
    x06i5kdpt2x3.png
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 982 Member
    edited February 10
    Options
    Blood pressure varies throughout the day. I personally get white coat hypertension; I am scared of doctors. So medical readings can be slightly high for me.

So a single systolic reading of 120 doesn't sound alarming. However I am not a medical doctor, I am a random chap on the internet.
  • takinitalloff
    takinitalloff Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    drmwc wrote: »
    Blood pressure varies throughout the day. I personally get white coat hypertension; I am scared of doctors. So medical readings can be slightly high for me.

So a single systolic reading of 120 doesn't sound alarming.

It wasn't a single reading of 120 -- it was closer to 150 before I started losing weight. Yes, blood pressure varies throughout the day, and mine does tend to be higher at the doctor's office than at home. It's been below 120 for a while now when I take it at home, so I know I'm fine; but it has still been my goal to have it be "normal" at the doctor's office too. You know, just to have it on record.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!