Did I mess myself up and is the pounds I lost muscle?

Options
For context, I think I have been reading the app wrong and not eating the proper calories. I assumed that I can only eat under my goal calories even with exercise.

I do know that the listed goal is what I can eat to lose weight without exercise (1530), but I thought that burning what I ate with exercise is what was needed to put me in a caloric deficit. I didn’t realize that my net needed to be the 1530 goal. I’ve been netting in the negative or at most 800.

I started MFP while doing the 75 hard challenge. So, I do two 45 minute workouts daily on top of my daily chores, work, and other activity. I use my Apple Watch to record calories burned through my workouts as well as my vitals. I drink 1 gal of water a day. I also intermittent fast 16:8.

I started the challenge January 7, 2024 at 254 lbs and I am now 239. I am afraid that I lost muscle based on some forums I have read. Please explain this to me in Layman’s terms so I can know how to properly adjust things and do this right.

Answers

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,116 Member
    Options
    When you lose weight it will always be a mixture of fat and muscle. Yes, what you did it not ideal, and it could have resulted in more muscle loss than you would have had if you ate the goal that MFP gave you. Having said that, beyond eating at a moderate calorie deficit, things that can help maintain muscle are non-steady state cardio exercises. The best option would be a progressive weight lifting program, which is a full body weight lifting program where the weight you work with is consistently increased. Either way, you have not messed up your body since you would have had a fair amount of muscle to just drag the extra fat you have around every day.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    The faster you lose weight, the more likely it is to include more muscle. You can mitigate that with a slower weight loss + increased protein + progressive lifting.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    msdh7z8nxq wrote: »
    For context, I think I have been reading the app wrong and not eating the proper calories. I assumed that I can only eat under my goal calories even with exercise.

I do know that the listed goal is what I can eat to lose weight without exercise (1530), but I thought that burning what I ate with exercise is what was needed to put me in a caloric deficit. I didn’t realize that my net needed to be the 1530 goal. I’ve been netting in the negative or at most 800.

I started MFP while doing the 75 hard challenge. So, I do two 45 minute workouts daily on top of my daily chores, work, and other activity. I use my Apple Watch to record calories burned through my workouts as well as my vitals. I drink 1 gal of water a day. I also intermittent fast 16:8.

I started the challenge January 7, 2024 at 254 lbs and I am now 239. I am afraid that I lost muscle based on some forums I have read. Please explain this to me in Layman’s terms so I can know how to properly adjust things and do this right.

You'll be fine. Just up your calories to where you say they should be, continue on, continue monitoring your weight to make sure you don't start gaining it back. But do expect to put on a few pounds of water weight when you up your calories . Bodies are extremely resilient. In a couple weeks it'll be like it never happened.
  • caffeinebuzz10
    caffeinebuzz10 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    A little good nutrition and some persistence and you’ll get it back.

It’s the long term ya gotta watch out for.

If you start… lose some weight, you’ll lose some muscle… if you gain it back, you’ll gain mostly fat, and only a bit of the muscle you lost… yo-yo like that a few times over years and you’ll have real troubles
  • elfin168
    elfin168 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    cant go back in time. the best way to avoid muscle loss is a smaller deficit..and resitance training at least 2 x a week. there is a technique to avoid losing muscle. i do 8-12 reps of 4-5 exercises 4 times a week, 2 upper, 2 lower...even if you have lost muscle, and no way of knowing. it will only be a portion of your weight loss. perhaps a 1/4