Bumping for the new thread
  • tammihart
    tammihart Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Michelle228
    Michelle228 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Yay new thread already ! .. I've had horrible weight loss the last few weeks and its really bumming me out , but I have no one to blame but myself because I'm not pushing myself to exercise. My weights and step and biggest loser boot camp dvd are sitting in the middle of the living room and I WILL be using them in the am and everyday after that ! I'm gonna be 35 on the 20th of October and I really wanna lose at least 15 pounds by then if not more !
  • vwbear
    vwbear Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm weighing in at 179.8 this week. Down .6 and in the 170's (even though just barely) for the first time in a long time! :bigsmile: Doing a happy dance!
    Grat challenges this week. Looking forward to seeing what this week brings. Good luck to all! :drinker:
  • jessicamarie81
    jessicamarie81 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Great challenges Leslie!! I love the food one, looking forward to seeing all the recipes. Ever since joining MFP I have tried a lot of new things and still have things in my mind to try but haven't done it yet! Hmm...I'll have to think of something I've made that has been awesome...
    And love the exercise challenge...I usually get that seasonal affective disorder for a bit because winter just makes me sad! Hopefully this year I can kick the blues, the weather has been incredible here and will be all week I believe, so I'm looking forward to having some fun outdoors :)

Oh, I don't have a HRM but I'm thinking about getting one...when I've talked to people with them, they really like the Polar brand around here.
  • emariec78
    emariec78 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Oh I'm on the spreadsheet!! Thank you! I'm so excited to do this! Do heart rate monitors show you calories burned? Just curious. I LOVE playing games on my kinect so I was thinking I could maybe stick a hrm on and count calories that way? That would fit in with the challenge I think.

Also, what is TOM? Sorry...

TOM = time of the month. something no one is all that fond of (unless like me the last thing you could possibly take right now is preggers) :tongue:

HRM does count calories burned. It's worth reading reviews, asking around for opinions. I know lots of ppl on this message board use them, and there are often other message boards running with discussion about HRMs. I have a garmin HRM, which is amazing b/c it not only tracks cals burned, but also distance and mapping. It runs on satellite and in amazing, but it's waaaay more than most people want/need, but I bought it years ago when I was part of a running group. I think I've heard chatter from some of the ladies here about the Polar one. Feel free to chime in gals!

I use a Polar FT4, it was about $60 on Amazon so not too expensive and it has a chest strap which makes it more accurate since it constantly takes your heart rate. Like Olivia said, the more expensive they are the more bells and whistles you get so you probably need to determine what you would like it to do for you if you're going to buy one. Me, I just wanted a more accurate calorie count so I went with a quality, but basic model.
  • inshapeCK
    inshapeCK Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Didn't post a weigh in yesterday as I have really been struggling for a week or 2 now. I am spending this week trying to get back on track. Currently battling TOM and endometriosis along with medication that requires me to eat meals every time I take it and the timing doesnt always work out to be at meal times so sometimes have to eat when I am not hungry which is not good for weight loss. Anyway, it hasn't been easy but I am taking it one day a a time and have been working to make some better food choices again this week. The last 2 days I am back to logging everything I eat and I had a good food day on Monday and really upped my exercise on Monday (60 minutes) and Tuesday (65 minutes). Please don't take me off the spreadsheet as I hope to weigh in next Tuesday.
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I don't know how healthy this is but I make it for football games now and eat it instead of potato chips - I know it's healthier than those! It's a little bit time consuming to prepare but I enjoy the prep.

Lavash (Armenian Crackerbread)

1 1/3 cups tepid water (barely warm, about 105 degrees)
    1/4 cup olive oil
    3 tablespoons sugar
    1 package quick-rising yeast
    2 teaspoons salt
    4 cups all-purpose flour
    1/2 cup milk for topping
    sesame seeds for topping

1. Place the tepid water in your electric mixing bowl. Add the oil, sugar, and yeast.
    Blend using the electric mixer for five minutes on low speed. Stir in the salt.

2. Gradually add two cups of flour and continue beating on low speed until a thick,
    smooth batter forms. Change the blade to a bread dough hook and knead in the
    additional two cups of flour. (If you do not have a heavy mixer, such as a KitchenAid,
    incorporate the flour with a wooden spoon, and complete the kneading by hand.)
    Kneading should take about ten minutes in the machine, 20 minutes by hand.

3. Place the dough on plastic wrap on countertop. Cover with a large stainless-steel
    bowl. Allow the dough to rise until double in size, about 1 1/2 hours. Punch the dough
    down, and divide into 12 pieces. Let stand, covered, for 15 minutes.

4. Roll out each piece of dough into am 8- to 10-inch diameter circle. Arrange circles on
    ungreased baking sheets. Brush with milk and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Pierce
    with a fork many times.

5. Bake on the lowest rack in the oven at 375 degrees, for 8 to 10 minutes, or until light
    brown. Rotate the pans in the oven from top to bottom to insure even browning.

Serve dry or wet. (To wet, hold the cracker under running water until lightly moistened all
    over, and then wrap in a moist towel for 10-15 minutes. If the cracker is too dry to roll, it
    will crack. Sprinkle with more water and let stand a few minutes.)
  • MayLan
    MayLan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    I wanted to add to the chart, my NSV: to exercise 6 days a week and lose dress pants size.

1erica60- so sorry about your loss, but I'm happy to see you here sharing your journey with us.

Leslie: I'm loving the challenges this week. My mom loves chayote! She makes it various ways like in a salad, boiled, with sliced potatoes, sliced hardboiled eggs, and sliced carrots, (everything boiled) and a vinagrette dressing. (It's a popular salad in Dominican Republic). Another fast and yummy way she likes it is to stir fry it, but it takes a while to get soft, and throw in some eggs, and scramble both together. It's very yummy! (season with salt and pepper of course).

I'll be on the lookout when I do groceries this weekend for new vegetables so I can look up recipes.

For the exercise challenge, I'm right on track and I plan on meeting the 3500 calorie burn.

wish you all a great day!
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I made this chicken pot pie a few weeks ago and it was soooo good. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/chicken-pot-pie-ix/detail.aspx
    It has been added to the food database already so that made it easy. It has 412 calories which I didn't think was bad. I'd like to get some new soup recipes if anyone has them. Love cooler weather and soup is great and usually low in calories:) Happy Hump day!
  • Sandbug
    Sandbug Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Posting so I can find this later! :)
  • fleetwitch
    fleetwitch Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I walk three times a day and go to the gym twice a week and do water aerobics and this week I lost only .6! This sucks! Now the Holidays are comming and I know that I am in trouble, I NEED HELP! SO I am here...SISTERS help!
    Fleety
  • Tissues
    Tissues Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Holy Schmoly.. Leslie you are going to kill me this week, I dont think I've had a 3500 burn week.. in... a month? at least!? LOL...

I'll start today :bigsmile: I have to burn close to 600 calories/day this week because I didn't see it yesterday (and was eternally lazy).

and I'm definitely not pregnant..lol.. my lovely TOM showed up yesterday which considering I was bloated at my weigh in, I'm pretty excited about. Maybe between that and the challenge I'll burn a pound this week. :tongue:

I need to go dig out some recipe's.
  • kylakesgal
    Options
    I thought I would share my beef barley soup recipe. It's very low in calories & sodium plus it's delicious. It makes a huge pot. I usually make it and freeze individual portions too. It can be edited to however you like it. For example, if you omit the beef, you can cut out quite a few calories but with the meat, it's only 261 calories with 247 mg of sodium with the way I made it.

Beef Barley Soup
    1 lb lean stew beef
    1 onion
    2-3 stalks celery
    1 lg can of diced tomatoes (low sodium)
    1 cup of diced cabbage
    3-4 potatoes (cut up in bite sized pieces)
    1 1/2 cups campbells low sodium tomato juice
    Quaker medium barley (approx 1/2 cup dry)
    1 bag of Pictsweet vegetable soup mix with tomatoes
    2-3 bay leaves
    Brown stew meat in skillet with a bit of oil or butter. Cook until meat is browned and add celery and onions. Cook just a few mins. Using a large pot, add canned tomatoes, tomato juice and stew beef. Bring to boil, add barley and cabbage. Lower heat to simmer and cook for about 30 mins. Add potatoes and the bag of soup veggies. Cook for approx. 30-45 mins on simmer or until done. May have to add a little water to thin soup for desired consistency. Bay leaves can be removed after soup is done. I usually only add black pepper but of course you can add a little salt. Mmm good and a lot healthier than Campbell's canned soups!! Enjoy:)
  • ceejay000
    ceejay000 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Saving this thread for later :)
  • 1erica60
    1erica60 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    bump:smile:
  • jenniferjgayfield
    Options
    Wow, work is keeping me way too busy lately, getting stuff ready to report to grant sources as well as seeing as many clients as possible is tough stuff...Anyhow just checking in for this week at 129.8...darn .2 lb losses, oh well, at least it's something, but hoping for a better loss soon...now to go back and read the other posts :)
  • kylakesgal
    Options
    Jessica, I would love for you to share your taco soup. I know you have given me the recipe but I've misplaced it and I know everyone else would enjoy it too:) With the cooler temps, I'm in a soup mood:)
  • jessicamarie81
    jessicamarie81 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Lovin the soup recipes! That's funny, that's what I was going to post! I will definitely do that, it's my very fav!

Taco Soup: this recipe will make a nice big ole pot

~1 lb. lean ground beef
    ~3 cans low sodium chicken broth
    ~diced tomatoes-- I use a couple of cans of Rotel with diced chiles but you can use whatever like fresh diced tomatoes...low sodium is good :)
    ~1 packet of taco seasoning (low sodium)
    ~1 packet Ranch dry mix (the kind you would make ranch dip with, just dump it in)
    ~can of hominy (your choice, but I love it)
    ~can of corn or fresh corn...save on sodium
    ~black beans...about a can or not canned
    ~hot sausage (only if you want to, it's fatty sure but it really adds to it, sometimes I do, sometimes I don't)
    ~fresh cilantro
    ~white or yellow onion (more or less)
    ~1 tsp. cumin

Cook all the meat in a skillet and brown the chopped onions along with it. Bring broth to a boil and add meat, onions, and the rest of the ingredients...
    Let simmer for awhile, when it's ready put some in a bowl and don't forget the dollop of light sour cream, sprinkle of shredded cheese, and some tortilla chips....those three things make it!!! I just use a light hand :)
    The great thing about taco soup is you can add whatever you want or take away, it's very versatile and you just throw it all together...I'm drooling, I think I need to gather some ingredients and make me some!
    The cals are not bad...it's in the database I believe because I added it but if you can't find it let me know...
  • kylakesgal
    Options
    Thanks Jess. Printed it out and fixing it very soon:)