Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

GIFt us your lifts! (or other achievements!)

Replies

• kinetixtrainer2
    kinetixtrainer2 Posts: 9,266 Member
    cowsfan12 wrote: »
    nossmf wrote: »
    I'm loving it! I used to do nothing but heavy sets as an amateur powerlifter, but have gotten much better size gains once I added the 3x10 sets; and when I tried doing nothing but 3x10's, I missed the heavy stuff too much. This program is the best of both worlds. I've also tried doing both in the same workout (primary lift 5x5 to start the day, followed by 3x10 elsewhere) but find I prefer focusing on just one type of lift per day.

6'1" by 171, yikes, that's so much leaner than my 5'9" by 199.

Very interesting. I’ve done the pairing of heavy compound lifts with higher rep sets for the more isolated movements such as pec deck, flies (upper and lower), even heavier barbell presses for low reps and then lighter dumbbell presses to try and really focus on the mind muscle connection. I’ll attach a screen shot of my overall current routine how I have the split laid out. I think it’s going to similar to yours as I have a heavy and “lighter” day for each push,pull,leg day.

89dassk5xi2o.png

What app you use sir?

7b4b27dyb3fp.png

I really enjoy this app.
  • cowsfan12
    cowsfan12 Posts: 6,121 Member
    I'm loving it! I used to do nothing but heavy sets as an amateur powerlifter, but have gotten much better size gains once I added the 3x10 sets; and when I tried doing nothing but 3x10's, I missed the heavy stuff too much. This program is the best of both worlds. I've also tried doing both in the same workout (primary lift 5x5 to start the day, followed by 3x10 elsewhere) but find I prefer focusing on just one type of lift per day.

Very interesting. I’ve done the pairing of heavy compound lifts with higher rep sets for the more isolated movements such as pec deck, flies (upper and lower), even heavier barbell presses for low reps and then lighter dumbbell presses to try and really focus on the mind muscle connection. I’ll attach a screen shot of my overall current routine how I have the split laid out. I think it’s going to similar to yours as I have a heavy and “lighter” day for each push,pull,leg day.

89dassk5xi2o.png

What app you use sir?

7b4b27dyb3fp.png

I really enjoy this app.

I’ve been using strong - I may check this one out - thanks
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 10,787 Member
    Only app I use is an excel spreadsheet, plus my paper journal which has notes of every workout for the last 15 years. When I want a kick in the pants, I peruse a workout done from years ago, and observe how my routine has changed drastically over the years.

Interesting that your heavy days have more sets than your lighter days. I presume that includes the additional warmup sets, not just working sets.

Didn't mention earlier, but I almost learned the hard way to NOT do 5x5 with arm isolation exercises.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    edited February 18

I feel you on the hypertrophy work . My body enjoys 4-6 reps more than 8-12.

I have been running AthleanX programs for a year. I have enjoyed them as they add in some corrective exercises. While following his All American Muscle program, I did hit bench , deadlift, Squat and Hip thrust lifetime PRs. 250/375/335/525 respectively

I recently started his new Built program but had to stop due to shoulder issues. Waiting for my MRI. Joys of being old. I am following his hypertrophy block while replacing all the chest/push moves with Shoulders. Ironically, it's doing great for making my shoulders round out.

I will note, i have taken a lot of advice from the Dr. Mike and have incorporated MYO reps and a few other tweaks.

• kinetixtrainer2

89dassk5xi2o.png

What app you use sir?

7b4b27dyb3fp.png

I really enjoy this app.

I’ve been using strong - I may check this one out - thanks

Anytime !
  • kinetixtrainer2
    Only app I use is an excel spreadsheet, plus my paper journal which has notes of every workout for the last 15 years. When I want a kick in the pants, I peruse a workout done from years ago, and observe how my routine has changed drastically over the years.

Interesting that your heavy days have more sets than your lighter days. I presume that includes the additional warmup sets, not just working sets.

Didn't mention earlier, but I almost learned the hard way to NOT do 5x5 with arm isolation exercises.

No sir, I do not have my warm up sets written in my program. You see more sets on the heavier days because I’m mostly doing 5x5 on most of those heavy exercises. On the lighter days my sets average 12 reps with some exercises like face pulls, laterals and bicep curls having 15-20 reps. So I’m only doing 3 sets per exercise.
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,670 Member
    I read through your posts and it's so clear that I have so much to learn. Lol thank you all for sharing.

Right now I am doing only 2 sessions a week. So I broke mine up into a and b. Because bench is my weakest lift, I do it both days. This is roughly what my current plan looks like.

Workout A: Bench / Squat / ohp /lat pulldowns / back row/ face pulls / straight arm pushdowns

Workout B: Bench / Squat / deads /leg press / seated leg curls / leg extensions / assisted pullup and skull crushers

The accessories are 3x10-12 but each week I vary my reps and weights slightly for the major lifts.

Week 1-3 - major lifts are done at 70—75% for 3 or 4 sets of 8-10 reps.

Week 4-5 - majors are 80% for 3x8
    Week 6 - majors are 85% for 4x5
    Week 7 - majors are 95% for 3x2

Usually the last set or two is AMAP for the major lifts.

I find I like the variety from week to week and I like the break when I go back to week 1 and am at 70%. I really enjoy getting to week 8 though because the heavy lifts are so empowering for me.

And my stats are currently 200lb for 6'1 as well. Lol. I'm thicc Hahaha I am back to logging and staying just below maintenance, with the hope of some recomp.

But honestly... I'm kinda winging it.

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 10,787 Member
    You mention week 8 yet not give details for week 8. I presume it's either a rest/deload week, or a 1RM test week.
  • KickassAmazon76
    You mention week 8 yet not give details for week 8. I presume it's either a rest/deload week, or a 1RM test week.

Yes, it's an unprogrammed deload week and then I test 1rms. I haven't quite figured out what to do for deload, so I haven't recorded it yet! Good catch!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator

Yes, it's an unprogrammed deload week and then I test 1rms. I haven't quite figured out what to do for deload, so I haven't recorded it yet! Good catch!

In general, there are a few approaches to deloads. You can do your same routine at 50%, or take time off/some cardio. I actually found if it turned it into a light bro-split week, it worked nicely.
  • Minion_training_program
    Minion_training_program Posts: 13,426 Member

Hey Sandy, since we are basically doing the same program (i kinda tweaked it for my liking) here is what i do for my deload weeks.

On the compound lifts i take 50% of week 7, and do 4 worksets of 10-12 reps
    For the accessory work i started doing the numbers of week 1 or 2 for same amount of reps. Just don't do the sets till faillure.

I wrote down on forehand the deload week, and for the accessory i did the ones that i rated RPE8 or higher. Did the same reps and weight as i did in week 1, and rated them again.
    Almost all the ones i did were a RPE6 or RPE5
    8jzcrvcm80ns.gif

Note... I actually put that sticker in the vid because the cellulite in that position was sooooo bad. 😳

I still cannot do a wide leg forward fold, but I used to not be able to sit upright even, so a bit of a fold is way better than before!

I started doing the Daily Yoga app you suggested Sandy
    I hate how not flexible i am
    @Minion_training_program that was awesome! I wager if you had done the 73kg before the attempts at 74kg, you would have made it, but by the time you went back to it there was too much accumulated fatigue.

@steveko89 maybe I'll pass you on the streets of Denver, since that's where I work! (Technically in the suburb of Aurora, but I take the interstate through Denver as part of my commute.)

Thank you Mike
    Yeah i figured if i had go for 73 instead of 74 first, i might have had it. Looking back, i realised even more how close i was to get past my sticking point and locking it out.
    Still 4kg increase on my weakest lift... i am pleased

I definatly was not at the time, but over the weekend i have come to peace with it, and that i should be proud of it
    edited February 19
    My current program is a 4 day a week program, where 3 day's revolve around the SBD and 1 day accessory work
    This last cycle i did the 4th day as well, but still 3 day a week working out, so it was like ABC-DAB-CDA etc.. so my program took 3 weeks extra.
    Then i had 1 week off because super busy at work, and 2 deload weeks, 1 in between, and 1 after week 7 of the program.

I start week 1 at 70% of SBD 1RM (hence the testing at the end).

I have been maintaining pretty long, but now i wanna cut down to 95kg (13kg to go)
    So instead of the cycle i have been doing for last 2 year or so, i wrote a new program

Well actually i have let ChatGPT write a program for me, where i had put in different parameters that's more bodybuilding program, rather than powerlifting program, focussed more on higher volume and training till faillure for maximum muscle growth.

It's a ABC program

Week 1-3
    A:
    • Bench press 4 x 15 @ 60% of 1RM
    • Barbell Bent over row 4 x 12 @ 60%
    • Cable Face Pulls 3 x F
    • Seated Tice[t Rope Pushdown 3 x F
    • Cable Preacher Curls 3 x F
    B:
    • Back Squat 4 x 15 @ 60%
    • Tricep Calbe Kickbacks 3 x F
    • Cable Pull Through 3 x F
    • Leg press 3 x F
    • Standing Calf Raises with DB 4 x 15 (each side)
    C:
    • Deadlifts 4 x 15 @ 60%
    • Cale Lat Pulldown wide Grip 3 x F
    • Cable Lateral Raises 3 x F
    • Cable Chest Flyes 4 x F

Then in week 4 to 6 i basically increase the weight on compounds to 70% for 5 x 12 and week 7 to 75% on 5 x 10
    Also on the accessory i will increase the weight each week. Since they are till faillure, it's safe enough to do so
  • KickassAmazon76
    8jzcrvcm80ns.gif

Note... I actually put that sticker in the vid because the cellulite in that position was sooooo bad. 😳

I still cannot do a wide leg forward fold, but I used to not be able to sit upright even, so a bit of a fold is way better than before!

It does get easier and it's totally worth it!
  • KickassAmazon76
    My current program is a 4 day a week program, where 3 day's revolve around the SBD and 1 day accessory work
    This last cycle i did the 4th day as well, but still 3 day a week working out, so it was like ABC-DAB-CDA etc.. so my program took 3 weeks extra.
    Then i had 1 week off because super busy at work, and 2 deload weeks, 1 in between, and 1 after week 7 of the program.

I have been maintaining pretty long, but now i wanna cut down to 95kg (13kg to go)
    So instead of the cycle i have been doing for last 2 year or so, i wrote a new program

Well actually i have let ChatGPT write a program for me, where i had put in different parameters that's more bodybuilding program, rather than powerlifting program, focussed more on higher volume and training till faillure for maximum muscle growth.

It's a ABC program

Week 1-3
    A:
    • Cable Face Pulls 3 x F
    B:
    • Leg press 3 x F
    C:
    • Deadlifts 4 x 15 @ 60%

Then in week 4 to 6 i basically increase the weight on compounds to 70% for 5 x 12 and week 7 to 75% on 5 x 10
    Also on the accessory i will increase the weight each week. Since they are till faillure, it's safe enough to do so

It doesn't seem to matter what weight I do... If I do more than 12 squats, I get very winded. I also OFTEN lose track of my count if it's over 8 lmao. Ohhh the joys of ADHD.

I think a regular requirement of 15 reps would make me miserable. Lol

I am curious to see how you like it!
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,222 Member
    I also OFTEN lose track of my count if it's over 8 lmao.

Comforting to know this isn't just me. If I'm doing a set number of reps I find I keep better track counting down vs. up.
    steveko89 wrote: »
    I also OFTEN lose track of my count if it's over 8 lmao.

Comforting to know this isn't just me. If I'm doing a set number of reps I find I keep better track counting down vs. up.

Well, i have problem counting my reps sometimes.
    I saw 2 weeks ago, when i was doing deload on squats for 15 reps, my first and last set were 16 and 17 reps...

But normally i start counting my breathings on the compound lifts that is.

@KickassAmazon76
    It's also another reason to do my other exercises till faillure...No need to count for it (altough i do wanna write down my reps, so still counting)
  • kinetixtrainer2
    8jzcrvcm80ns.gif

It does get easier and it's totally worth it!

Which app is this ?
  • kinetixtrainer2

It's a ABC program

Week 1-3
    A:
    • Cable Face Pulls 3 x F
    B:
    • Leg press 3 x F
    C:
    • Deadlifts 4 x 15 @ 60%

It doesn't seem to matter what weight I do... If I do more than 12 squats, I get very winded. I also OFTEN lose track of my count if it's over 8 lmao. Ohhh the joys of ADHD.

I think a regular requirement of 15 reps would make me miserable. Lol

I am curious to see how you like it!

15 plus reps is a new level of agony if you’re truly training to form failure on the exercise. And it’s amazing ! 😁