Need Help with Healthy Coffee Alternatives

Options
2»

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    It’s much smaller, narrower, and only holds a half cup of milk (before frothing).

I froth mine cold and then heat, Ann does the opposite. Either works.

I have two French presses. The first one I bought claimed to have a three-cup capacity, and with the typical modern excess-packaging, that didn't seem absurd based on the size of the box. But it turned out they were 4 ounce "cups." So I bought a six-cup French press, which translates to two of the mugs I use for coffee. Anyway, maybe the smaller one would work for frothing. I wouldn't want to put more than a half cup of milk into it before frothing.

I've found with my jar method of frothing, you want to shake (froth) before heating, as doing the opposite can have somewhat explosive results.

Thanks.
  • Surrealmuse
    Surrealmuse Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I enjoy a mocha caramel latte occasionally and got it to be around 70 calories per serving by reducing the amount of syrups I add. But in general, I try to drink either green tea that we have at work or jasmine tea at home without any added sugar as it's zero calories and supposedly helps with weight loss.
  • RickinSalinas
    RickinSalinas Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My process was to move from liquid creamer to powdered + some sugar in the raw. Over time you can slowly decrease the amounts of each. Currently my biggest issue is rewarding myself every once in a while with more sugar and creamer but otherwise much less sugar and calories.
  • OliveC81
    OliveC81 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Walden Farms makes a zero calorie coffee creamer, it's not the same as regular creamer but it's good.
  • L2325
    L2325 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Premium Protein Shakes has a Cafe Latte flavor with caffeine equivalent to one cup of coffee. 160 calories, 30 grams of protein 1 gram sugar. Satisfying enough to eliminate carb cravings and as a meal substitute to help me reach my goals.
  • zmdh39
    zmdh39 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try getting some premier protien from Walmart or Sam's club, I use that as my creamer most days.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,367 Member
    Options
    L2325 wrote: »
    Premium Protein Shakes has a Cafe Latte flavor with caffeine equivalent to one cup of coffee. 160 calories, 30 grams of protein 1 gram sugar. Satisfying enough to eliminate carb cravings and as a meal substitute to help me reach my goals.
    zmdh39 wrote: »
    Try getting some premier protien from Walmart or Sam's club, I use that as my creamer most days.

I can confirm that both of these are good options. The Equate version from Walmart is the least expensive if you buy it by the case. If you choose the version for diabetics you can save a few calories.

Equate Diabetic Care Nutritional Shakes are currently $28.62 for a case of 24.
    They’re 180 calories per bottle, and one bottle can easily flavor two to five coffees.
    They come in chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry.
    Premier does have a larger variety of flavors. I seem to remember a caramel one.
  • Healthcoachsteve_
    Healthcoachsteve_ Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey @lizabellarose1234 Lots of great suggestions here. One thing that has worked for me instead of completely replacing my coffee since I love it so much, I started measuring how much cream/sugar I put in it each day. Then each week I took out just a tiny bit, enough that I could measure the difference but not enough to make it nasty.

Overtime your taste buds will start adjusting and you'll also be consuming less calories in your coffee! You don't have to go all the way to black(gross) but find a spot that you feel better about.

Hope this helps.