Should i turn Vegetarian???

Options
2»

Replies

• ABetterBalance
    Options
    no, there are overweight vegetarians. It mostly comes down to calories in vs calories out regardless if it is meat or not. If not eating meat is what you need to do to hit your calorie goal then it may help, but that is the only reason it will help.

^^ This.

I'm not saying that being a vegetarian is a bad idea, or the wrong choice to make. But, it's not the only way to eat a healthy diet and lose weight, either. And "going vegetarian" is a lot more complicated than a lot of people realize. It's not just about cutting out meat, it's altering your entire diet to be sure you are getting the protein you need from other sources.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I have respect for people who have moral objections to the eating of animals. It takes a great deal of conviction & discipline to give up doing something enjoyable, and to stick to your principles when there's no personal gain (and even some societal bias against it).

However, with that said, I would never go vegetarian for health reasons. Human beings evolved as omnivores: look at your teeth, or at your digestive system, and you'll see that both are designed to process *both* plant material and meats. There are vitamins & minerals & nutrients that your body is supposed to get from meat; that's just the way we're hardwired, biologically. So if you eliminate meat from your diet, you will have to do some research and find alternative sources for all of those things. It takes forethought and work; so it should not be done on a whim, or you will end up being *less* healthy than when you started.

Everyone's metabolism is different. I know people who are vegetarians and vegans who are perfectly healthy. I also know people who follow the Paleo or Primal lifestyle and are perfectly healthy. Personally, I have a carbohydrate-intolerant metabolism so trying to eat vegetarian would probably kill me. But only you can decide what lifestyle & dietary choices work best for you. There's no one-size-fits-all plan.

Good luck to you in figuring it all out!
  • KindleBlossom
    Options
    I agree with the first few posters here, but let it be said that going without meat is easier on your digestive system and is wonderful for your long term cardiovascular health. In addition, there's the fact that the vegetables, grains, and legumes from which you would get your protein, should you cut meat out, are much better for your health than the meat they would be replacing. All of this is on top of the fact that meat is more calorie dense- 400 calories worth of steak fills about half of your stomach, but 400 calories of beans and rice will fill your stomach easily (not to mention that they're much cheaper than the steak). There's a reason vegetarians, in the aggregate and with their food choices taken as an isolated factor, live about 6 years longer than the average non- vegetarian. If you're talking weight loss, you're right, you can eat meat and still lose weight, but if you're talking health, vegetarianism is a better choice.
  • RuchikaPal
    RuchikaPal Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Great!!!.... thnx guys :)
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    no, there are overweight vegetarians. It mostly comes down to calories in vs calories out regardless if it is meat or not. If not eating meat is what you need to do to hit your calorie goal then it may help, but that is the only reason it will help.

I am a perfect example of one of those overweight vegetarians. I am actually obese :embarassed:

Like many others have already stated, being vegetarian/vegan does not = skinny. It really does come down to calories in/out and quality of foods you are eating. Before I was vegetarian I ate only chicken or turkey (plus veggies and grains of course) and worked out every day. In 4 months I went from a size 14 to a size 4/6. Years after becoming vegetarian I sky rocketed up to a size "OMG I am HUGE!". This is because I didn't watch my portion sizes, ate cheese all the time and ate a lot of junk food. Years of bad choices have gotten me to where I am today. It's nobody's fault but my own. :ohwell: I am the one who decided what I was putting in my mouth. I am still a veggie and would never go back to eating meat, but I am working on becoming a healthy veggie. (I am a veggie for ethical reasons and my personal beliefs.)

My point being that you can be thin if you eat a well balanced healthy diet, regardless if you eat meat or not. You have to do what is best for you and not what anyone else is trying to tell you.

I have been a vegetarian for approx 15 years now. I do not believe in forcing my beliefs on others. I get really upset when I hear that other vegetarians do this. I could be wrong, but it sounds like this is what your friends are doing to you. If you want to become a vegetarian do your research then do it for the right reasons, because YOU want to do it. NOT because a few of your "skinny" friends are trying to convince you that being vegetarian = being skinny.

Hope this helps you with your decision a bit. Best of luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    if you do not believe in the principles of being a vegetarian, then there is no point. Vegetarian does not mean healthy, chips and candy are vegetarian, but still just as bad for you, try eating a clean diet and measure everything, do not guess.
  • kh79
    kh79 Posts: 33
    Options
    No, if that's the only rsn u wanna do it, u shouldn't. U should find a way that u actualy can live with every day!
    A vegetarian diet needs extra proteins and types of fat that is not gained from meat/fish through f.ex. nuts, so u will 'need' those cals anyways.
    I think u should find a line that u can be happy with every day, if not, the risk of failing will be higher- and then again failing is a biiig downer and demotives u.

But ofcourse, if u think u CAN do it as a lifestyle, then go ahead, just be sure u get all the nutrience that u need :wink:
  • maura5880
    maura5880 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian & I love it, but it's not for everyone. If you want to try it out, you could start w/some meat substitutes. I love the Morningstar "chicken" patties, and Smart Dogs. These products have less fat than real meat, but also less protein. If you like meat, there's really nothing wrong w/grilled chicken breast..as long as you're not having Big Macs all day!
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I have been a vegetarian for 18 years and have struggled with my weight. I can easily gain weight because there are a lot of really bad foods that are vegetarian. It takes a lifestyle change to eat healthy that matters. Not giving up meat. I think your vegetarian friends just want you to become vegetarian to be like them, not to lose weight.

I agree with this 100%
    I've become a weekday vegetarian (mostly). Since Saturday is my "cheat" day, and I love to barbecue and smoke meat, I save my "meat calories" for the weekend. I have noticed a change in my waist as well as in my wallet.

There is actually a term for this. You are a flexitarian! :flowerforyou:
    A great diet includes lots of vegetables and a protein source with very little in the way of starches and refined carbs. That diet can include meat, or some other source of protein. A healthful vegetarian diet includes a little extra work, especially avoiding overreliance on high-fat dairy as a protein source. Lots of vegetarians are picky eaters to begin with, and actually eat a terrible diet, with too much bread and processed meat substitutes and other soy products.

That said, the human body will run on just about everything.

I disagree with your statement "Lots of vegetarians are picky eaters to begin with". I actually know quite a few of vegetarians who are far from picky. I, for one, was not a picky eater before I turned veggie. I turned because of ethical reasons, not because I was picky. I only know 1 "vegetarian" who is a picky eater. She is a vegetarian because she thinks eating meat is gross and eats nothing but bread, mac and cheese and baked ziti. But I agree with you 100%, when you say a healthful vegetarian diet takes extra work, avoiding overreliance on high-fat dairy as a protein source. That is exactly what I did that got me to where I am today. :frown: