When the day ends

Options
Grimmmle
Grimmmle Posts: 1 Member
Usually, I don't count my end of day cal untill I go to bed around 2am cuz sometimes I'll eat closer to then. I would count this as technically the day before.
The app starts over at 12, so should I continue how I am or end my day at 12 and just count any drinks or anything to the current day.
Same for workouts. I usually do them before bed.

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,125 Member
    Options
    Whatever you prefer: your body doesn't reset at midnight, and even if MFP resets at midnight, you can still go back to a previous day to add things.
    Practically speaking I'd just try to be consistent about the approach.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I've done it both ways, and both ways work as long as you stick to one and just keep doing it that way. It's easy to add to yesterday's calendar if you want to extend the day to three or four in the morning.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    Options
    The app only starts over at midnight in the sense that it won't give you a post to your timeline if you close your day's diary after that. Closing the diary is completely optional, it only affects that and maybe the (dumb IMO) "in 5 weeks" prediction. Otherwise, MFP works the same whether you close the day or not. I don't bother to close my diary anymore, and just add stuff to my day after midnight when it makes sense to me.

Another option is to record on whatever day is current (per MFP), but manage calories on a weekly basis rather than daily. The phone/tablet app version of MFP will give you weekly averages for daily net/gross calories to facilitate weekly management.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,931 Member
    edited February 18
    Options
    I usually go to bed late too, but I don't usually eat that late. I named one of my 6 meals "extras" and it's for those midnight to 4 or 5 am munchies. If I eat before I go to bed, I put it on the day before. If I go to sleep, and get up and eat at 3 or 4 am, I put it on that day.

I agree that what's most important is--if you eat it, log it. When you log it is optional.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,473 Member
    edited February 20
    Options
    Why not change the time zone within the app to one that matches your “day”?

It won’t affect anything else on your phone,just your MFP timeline.

gglg7t7p2pvv.jpeg
  • AmunahSki
    AmunahSki Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Why not change the time zone within the app to one that matches your “day”?

It won’t affect anything else on your phone,just your MFP timeline.

That is GENIUS! Solves lots of issues from people working shifts or irregular eating patterns!!