(Almost) Fasting All day to eat indulgent dinner?

Options
Hi!

I am on a strict 1200 calorie a day diet due to the fact that I'm 37 female, 5'1 and want to lose 30 pounds. My SW on 1/2/24 was 146 and my GW is 115. I only weigh myself once a month because the stress of daily weigh ins would stress me out. So on 2/2, I weighed 138.5 so I lost about 7.5 lbs the first month. According to the calculators, my maintenance calories are 1700. Therefore, I guess I need a calorie deficit of 500 calories to lose weight. I can only exercise on weekends since I have very long work days, so M-F I have to stick to 1200.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone every eats very little during the day so they can enjoy a nice big dinner and dessert? I have been trying to watch my sugar intake (I am a huge sugar addict and for once in my life, I'd like to try to get a somewhat flat stomach which can't be done if you eat excessive sugar). However, on Fridays, after a long work week, I just want to have an enjoyable meal. I also do this on Saturdays sometimes since I want to go out to eat, but I exercise, so I feel I'm okay if I eat a little over 1200.

Will it ruin my weight loss journey if I indulge in a 900 calorie dinner/dessert combo once or twice a week? Is this really bad for metabolism/health ?? Don't judge but I really want to go to McDonalds and get a hamburger, fries and hot fudge sundae and zone out on the couch Friday night.

BTW if any of the things I said about weight loss I got wrong, please advise or any suggestions! Being a 5'1 female is so not fair for weight loss!!!

Replies

• tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,634 Member
    Options
    Fatloss is about overall weekly calorie intake. Meal timing has almost nothing to do with it. There is actually a diet like that OMAD, One Meal A Day.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    Yes, OMAD (one meal a day) is a thing and there are threads and possibly even a group here on MFP if you search.

Eating a large meal once a week or so won't slow your metabolism. Keep track of your calories for the week instead of daily.

Of course, you'll need to see how it works for you health-wise because if you have a large-ish fast food meal on Friday night and don't feel well the next day, that could interfere with your weekend activities and exercise. But it may not bother you and work out well. Give it a try and see!
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,125 Member
    edited February 22
    Options
    Your rate of loss actually suggests that your maintenance is higher than you think: 7.5 lbs of bodyfat is around 26250 kcal. Even if some of it was water weight, for example only 6lbs of fat loss over 30 days would mean your actual average TDEE is 1900, if you ate 1200 calories on average per day for that period.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I’m also 5’1” but much older than you. At your current weight you are within a few pounds of being a healthy BMI for your height. So I would recommend changing your settings to lose 0.5 lbs per week instead of a more aggressive goal.

As for your question about eating once per day for a heavier meal, I personally don’t prefer that strategy. I prefer to look at my calories as a weekly target. I eat close to 1200-1300 calories per day, but once or twice per week I eat more. I track it, and it goes over my daily calorie goal. BUT if you look at the weekly calorie settings it will show you the average calories for the week.

If I look at my log for one day it looks like I’m under eating due to my exercise calories from walking. But if I look at my weekly settings the average tells me what I need to know.
  • LiveOnceBeHappy
    LiveOnceBeHappy Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you. I would be ready to kill something if I didn't eat all day, but that's me. I do keep the majority of my calories for dinner though. 280 calorie breakfast (usually oatmeal), 300-400 calorie lunch (leftovers, frozen meal, soup, sandwich, salad, whatever), 500 - 600 calorie dinner.
  • eslteacheramy
    eslteacheramy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    Your rate of loss actually suggests that your maintenance is higher than you think: 7.5 lbs of bodyfat is around 26250 kcal. Even if some of it was water weight, for example only 6lbs of fat loss over 30 days would mean your actual average TDEE is 1900, if you ate 1200 calories on average per day for that period.

That would be great! I just used one of those calculators and put "lightly active." I am a teacher so I do stand a bit during the day even though I only exercise on weekends. That would mean I could eat 1400 and still lose weight!
  • eslteacheramy
    Options
    Fatloss is about overall weekly calorie intake. Meal timing has almost nothing to do with it. There is actually a diet like that OMAD, One Meal A Day.

Oh I didn't know that! I find it easier to do on a day I'm not working since I don't use my brain as much lol.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,174 Member
    Options

Overall, my answer would be that it's fine, as long as it doesn't hinder your compliance with calorie goal or cause other problems for you personally.

Examples of problems that are low-probability but could happen, just mentioning a couple to be clearer about what I mean: Eating a big dinner could hinder sleep quality, causing next-day fatigue (so move less, burn fewer calories; or spike appetite). Skipping calories earlier in the day could soft-pedal energy that day, with similar effect on daily life movement or exercise intensity.

Effects like that tend to be very individual, won't happen to everyone, so your subjective experience is what really counts here.

I'm also assuming that either way, you're striving to get adequate overall decent nutrition. Nutrient timing could have a tiny effect, but I personally wouldn't worry much about that at your age as long as your subjective perception is good. (Older people can have some issues with nutrient timing in a context of higher risks of lower absorption of certain nutrients.)

I feel like you may believe (be worried about) some other things that are common ideas in the blogosphere, but not all that evidence based.
    Hi!

I am on a strict 1200 calorie a day diet due to the fact that I'm 37 female, 5'1 and want to lose 30 pounds. My SW on 1/2/24 was 146 and my GW is 115. I only weigh myself once a month because the stress of daily weigh ins would stress me out. So on 2/2, I weighed 138.5 so I lost about 7.5 lbs the first month. According to the calculators, my maintenance calories are 1700. Therefore, I guess I need a calorie deficit of 500 calories to lose weight. I can only exercise on weekends since I have very long work days, so M-F I have to stick to 1200.
    Here, I'm with Lietchi. Your loss rate defines your deficit, once you have 4-6 weeks (whole menstrual cycles) of experience data you can use to figure out average loss rate at a given calorie level and activity routine. MFP, a calorie calculator or a fitness tracker are just giving you statistical estimates, essentially the average for people demographically similar to you. You're an individual, so may vary from average for non-obvious reasons.

Under-eating (losing too fast) is a poor plan, a thing that increase health risks, eventually cause rebound appetite, limit good nutrition (which is actually about absolute values of some nutrients, not percentages), trigger appearance compromises (thinning hair, brittle nails, sallow/haggard), have negative functional effects (weakness, fatigue).

I'm not saying bad things are guaranteed to happen, just that risks increase with speed of loss. You're probably fine losing a pound a week for a while yet, but the switch to 0.5 should be in the plan IMO. I'm a believer in losing at most 0.5-1% of current body weight weekly, with a bias toward the lower end of that unless severely obese and under close medical supervision for deficiencies or complications. For you, at 138.5, that range would be around 0.7 to 1.4 pounds per week, ideally closer to 0.7, and you're a bit above the top end of that so far. (I admit that some of the early loss could be water weight loss from dietary changes).

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone every eats very little during the day so they can enjoy a nice big dinner and dessert? I have been trying to watch my sugar intake (I am a huge sugar addict and for once in my life, I'd like to try to get a somewhat flat stomach which can't be done if you eat excessive sugar).
    I don't think excess sugar within calorie goal would cause observably more belly fat, other than the very limited sense that getting too little protein (especially) or other nutrients could have some negative implications. for muscle mass.

A somewhat flat stomach is most likely to result from reasonable calories, reasonable exercise (cardio and strength), and adequate nutrition. (But don't believe the degree of flat that some "influencers" claim. We have a uterus, so a bit of lower belly rise is common from that (even with low body fat).

I do understand that too much sugar may drive out adequate nutrition at appropriate calories, or put a person over calorie needs if getting adequate nutrition . . . at least that's what WHO says about excess sugar being a problem. (Well, that, and dental cavities.)

I may've suggested this to you elsewhere, but I found that getting more fruit reduced my cravings for more calorie-dense but nutrient-sparse foods like baked goods or candy. That won't work for everyone, but I'm not the only one here who's found that to be helpful.
    However, on Fridays, after a long work week, I just want to have an enjoyable meal. I also do this on Saturdays sometimes since I want to go out to eat, but I exercise, so I feel I'm okay if I eat a little over 1200.
    If you're selecting a somewhat aggressive weight loss rate, plus not eating back exercise calories generally, that can be a path to faster than ideal weight loss. If I were you, I'd eat most of them back routinely. It's fine to defer them to a different (soon) day.

That said, in general: Any day you eat above calorie goal but under true current maintenance calories, you can expect to lose body fat, just a little bit more slowly. That's fine objectively, as long as its fine subjectively with you. In my view, sometimes eating a bit above goal can be worth that small delay in reaching goal weight. In the truly rare special case, I'd even eat over maintenance, and be happy with that decision, personally.
    Will it ruin my weight loss journey if I indulge in a 900 calorie dinner/dessert combo once or twice a week? Is this really bad for metabolism/health ?? Don't judge but I really want to go to McDonalds and get a hamburger, fries and hot fudge sundae and zone out on the couch Friday night.
    No, it's not bad for your metabolism or health, at least not in any major way that you wouldn't notice. (Example, again low probability: Some people find that their tolerance for high fat food decreases as they lose weight, so eating that way once a week might cause digestive distress.)

Also, within reason, anything that helps you stick with your calorie goal long enough to reach goal weight, and doesn't hinder your ability to stay at that weight long term, is a good thing. Compliance with sufficiently reduced calories is the one non-negotiable for weight loss. (That's true whether the person counts calories or not.)
    BTW if any of the things I said about weight loss I got wrong, please advise or any suggestions! Being a 5'1 female is so not fair for weight loss!!!

Everyone has a "hard" or "not fair" when it comes to weight management, seems like. Being petite can increase the challenge in some ways, sure. At 37, pretty much guaranteed that your metabolism hasn't slowed due to aging. (That doesn't much happen because of age until around 60.)

IMO, there's no point - and it can be destructive - to focus on "it's so hard" or "it's not fair". I've typed this so many times that some other oldies' eyes are already rolling: The smartest sign in the world is one we see everywhere. It says "you are here". Here is the only place from which we can take our next steps toward any goal.

IMO, the only point of thinking about obstacles is to figure out how to get over, around, through or otherwise past those obstacles. Thinking about how hard or unfair it is is a waste of good time and energy.

I'm not a blithe twenty-something saying this: I'm a 5'5" 68 y/o menopausal female, severely hypothyroid (medicated), with various physical issues (most thankfully minor, TBH). I was overweight to obese for 30 years, lost around 50 pounds in just under a year, have been in maintenance for almost 8 years since. I'm currently around the BMI you're aiming for (22.0 today, vs. the 21.7 you're aiming for).

In general, it sounds like you're on a good course now. Keeping loss moderate, getting exercise when you can (including some strength challenge), and getting reasonable overall nutrition should be helpful given your goals.

Eventually - probably soon - it will be time to think about whether your current eating and activity habits are what you'll need to maintain that healthy goal weight long term. It's good to experiment, learn and practice new permanent habits while there's still that cushion of a calorie deficit to catch any oopsies. Staying at goal weight is IMO the real prize, and that relies on figuring out habits that can operate pretty much on autopilot when other parts of life get challenging (because they will). If we do that, maintenance is a simple matter of adding back a few calories daily, and keeping on with the practiced eating/activity habits - simple. By contrast, "lose weight fast then go back to normal" is a recipe for yo-yo weight.

If eating McDonald's once a week is part of your personal sustainable permanent habit set, it's good to practice that now.

Best wishes!
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,634 Member
    Options

Oh I didn't know that! I find it easier to do on a day I'm not working since I don't use my brain as much lol.

Yes you count daily then divide by 7 and this is your daily average and the number you want to look at. You want that number to be your daily target.

Also because the calculator says to take in 1,400 a day to lose doesn't mean that will be accurate as it's just a starting point

1,400 a day would be 9,800 weekly calories. We never take in the same amount every day so that's why you look at the weekly number.
  • AdahPotatah2024
    AdahPotatah2024 Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 5'2. I eat that way, naturally, but still have to watch my diet if I want to lose weight! I'll usually eat a sandwich or snack before dinner. Today, I just had lots of coffee and some cottage cheese until around 4 and then ate lentil soup, spanikopita, and rice and sweet tea. I probably will just drink a glass of wine or something later. 1175 calories according to mfp...probably really 1500 or so. 😋
  • eslteacheramy
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Overall, my answer would be that it's fine, as long as it doesn't hinder your compliance with calorie goal or cause other problems for you personally.

Examples of problems that are low-probability but could happen, just mentioning a couple to be clearer about what I mean: Eating a big dinner could hinder sleep quality, causing next-day fatigue (so move less, burn fewer calories; or spike appetite). Skipping calories earlier in the day could soft-pedal energy that day, with similar effect on daily life movement or exercise intensity.

Effects like that tend to be very individual, won't happen to everyone, so your subjective experience is what really counts here.

I'm also assuming that either way, you're striving to get adequate overall decent nutrition. Nutrient timing could have a tiny effect, but I personally wouldn't worry much about that at your age as long as your subjective perception is good. (Older people can have some issues with nutrient timing in a context of higher risks of lower absorption of certain nutrients.)

I feel like you may believe (be worried about) some other things that are common ideas in the blogosphere, but not all that evidence based.
    Hi!

Here, I'm with Lietchi. Your loss rate defines your deficit, once you have 4-6 weeks (whole menstrual cycles) of experience data you can use to figure out average loss rate at a given calorie level and activity routine. MFP, a calorie calculator or a fitness tracker are just giving you statistical estimates, essentially the average for people demographically similar to you. You're an individual, so may vary from average for non-obvious reasons.

Under-eating (losing too fast) is a poor plan, a thing that increase health risks, eventually cause rebound appetite, limit good nutrition (which is actually about absolute values of some nutrients, not percentages), trigger appearance compromises (thinning hair, brittle nails, sallow/haggard), have negative functional effects (weakness, fatigue).

I'm not saying bad things are guaranteed to happen, just that risks increase with speed of loss. You're probably fine losing a pound a week for a while yet, but the switch to 0.5 should be in the plan IMO. I'm a believer in losing at most 0.5-1% of current body weight weekly, with a bias toward the lower end of that unless severely obese and under close medical supervision for deficiencies or complications. For you, at 138.5, that range would be around 0.7 to 1.4 pounds per week, ideally closer to 0.7, and you're a bit above the top end of that so far. (I admit that some of the early loss could be water weight loss from dietary changes).

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone every eats very little during the day so they can enjoy a nice big dinner and dessert? I have been trying to watch my sugar intake (I am a huge sugar addict and for once in my life, I'd like to try to get a somewhat flat stomach which can't be done if you eat excessive sugar).
    I don't think excess sugar within calorie goal would cause observably more belly fat, other than the very limited sense that getting too little protein (especially) or other nutrients could have some negative implications. for muscle mass.

A somewhat flat stomach is most likely to result from reasonable calories, reasonable exercise (cardio and strength), and adequate nutrition. (But don't believe the degree of flat that some "influencers" claim. We have a uterus, so a bit of lower belly rise is common from that (even with low body fat).

I do understand that too much sugar may drive out adequate nutrition at appropriate calories, or put a person over calorie needs if getting adequate nutrition . . . at least that's what WHO says about excess sugar being a problem. (Well, that, and dental cavities.)

I may've suggested this to you elsewhere, but I found that getting more fruit reduced my cravings for more calorie-dense but nutrient-sparse foods like baked goods or candy. That won't work for everyone, but I'm not the only one here who's found that to be helpful.
    However, on Fridays, after a long work week, I just want to have an enjoyable meal. I also do this on Saturdays sometimes since I want to go out to eat, but I exercise, so I feel I'm okay if I eat a little over 1200.
    If you're selecting a somewhat aggressive weight loss rate, plus not eating back exercise calories generally, that can be a path to faster than ideal weight loss. If I were you, I'd eat most of them back routinely. It's fine to defer them to a different (soon) day.

That said, in general: Any day you eat above calorie goal but under true current maintenance calories, you can expect to lose body fat, just a little bit more slowly. That's fine objectively, as long as its fine subjectively with you. In my view, sometimes eating a bit above goal can be worth that small delay in reaching goal weight. In the truly rare special case, I'd even eat over maintenance, and be happy with that decision, personally.
    No, it's not bad for your metabolism or health, at least not in any major way that you wouldn't notice. (Example, again low probability: Some people find that their tolerance for high fat food decreases as they lose weight, so eating that way once a week might cause digestive distress.)

Also, within reason, anything that helps you stick with your calorie goal long enough to reach goal weight, and doesn't hinder your ability to stay at that weight long term, is a good thing. Compliance with sufficiently reduced calories is the one non-negotiable for weight loss. (That's true whether the person counts calories or not.)

Everyone has a "hard" or "not fair" when it comes to weight management, seems like. Being petite can increase the challenge in some ways, sure. At 37, pretty much guaranteed that your metabolism hasn't slowed due to aging. (That doesn't much happen because of age until around 60.)

IMO, there's no point - and it can be destructive - to focus on "it's so hard" or "it's not fair". I've typed this so many times that some other oldies' eyes are already rolling: The smartest sign in the world is one we see everywhere. It says "you are here". Here is the only place from which we can take our next steps toward any goal.

IMO, the only point of thinking about obstacles is to figure out how to get over, around, through or otherwise past those obstacles. Thinking about how hard or unfair it is is a waste of good time and energy.

I'm not a blithe twenty-something saying this: I'm a 5'5" 68 y/o menopausal female, severely hypothyroid (medicated), with various physical issues (most thankfully minor, TBH). I was overweight to obese for 30 years, lost around 50 pounds in just under a year, have been in maintenance for almost 8 years since. I'm currently around the BMI you're aiming for (22.0 today, vs. the 21.7 you're aiming for).

In general, it sounds like you're on a good course now. Keeping loss moderate, getting exercise when you can (including some strength challenge), and getting reasonable overall nutrition should be helpful given your goals.

Eventually - probably soon - it will be time to think about whether your current eating and activity habits are what you'll need to maintain that healthy goal weight long term. It's good to experiment, learn and practice new permanent habits while there's still that cushion of a calorie deficit to catch any oopsies. Staying at goal weight is IMO the real prize, and that relies on figuring out habits that can operate pretty much on autopilot when other parts of life get challenging (because they will). If we do that, maintenance is a simple matter of adding back a few calories daily, and keeping on with the practiced eating/activity habits - simple. By contrast, "lose weight fast then go back to normal" is a recipe for yo-yo weight.

If eating McDonald's once a week is part of your personal sustainable permanent habit set, it's good to practice that now.

Best wishes!

Wow! Thank you so much for your very thorough response! 10 years ago when I was 27, I was at my highest weight (5'1 and 165 lbs). I looked in the mirror that summer while on vacation and realized I needed to make a change. Back then, I had a really weird and unhealthy routine!! I taught high school so I would wake up at 5:30, work 7:30 to 2:30, and not eat all day. At 2:30 I would go get fast food, then go home and take a 4 hour nap (4-8) because I was exhausted as a 1st/2nd year teacher. I'd wake up, eat a very fattening dinner, then go back to sleep. I drank a lot of soda and did 0 exercise. As you can imagine, that was super unhealthy and in retrospect, no wonder I was exhausted when I got home.

It took 12 months but I lost 50 pounds. Back then, it seemed easier because I completely cut out soda and started walking, and that alone took off a lot of weight. Over the last 10 years, I had gained only about 5-10 pounds and maintained at around 120-125. BMI states that a healthy weight for a 5'1 person is 100-127....wtf If I weighed 100 I'd look sick, BMI is such BS!).

I never went back to soda, walked a lot and started running for the first time in my life! (lockdown had me bored with no gym lol). I never counted calories but would kind of estimate and make sure to balance out meals or eat small portions (if I was going to eat a big fattening dinner I'd eat a small lunch or just have 1 scoop of ice cream instead of 3). This worked for 10 years!

April 2023, I began a new medication that has a disclaimer that it "might" cause weight gain (anxiety/depression med). I also went on vacation in the summer for 2 weeks and began drinking soda again and donuts for breakfast everyday lol). I noticed my hunger was increased but figured I'd be fine because I have maintained for all these years. I finally went on the scale Dec. 2023 and saw I gained 20-25 lbs since April!!

SO, here I am again on this journey. I really appreciate all your feedback! March 2 will be 2 months (8.5 weeks) so I'll go on the scale then to find out how much I've lost. Yeah I definitely don't want to under-eat. I don't think there are ever any days I go below 1200. I guess in my mind losing .5 lbs a week is super slow and to lose 30 lbs that would take like a year. Even just losing 1 lbs a week would take 30 weeks more or less. I was hoping to lose 30 lbs in 5 months (Jan-May) in time for summer. You are right, it's not worth wasting time complaining about it being fair or not. I just didn't quite realize how limited calories are for short people!! But I have to remember what you said- even if I eat above 1200 but below maintenance, I can still be losing something.

Also, I started eating fruit for snacks/lunch. I would have a banana, apple, some pineapple and even a cutie at lunch. But then I stopped and only eat an apple because I felt those were "wasted calories". I'd rather take the calories combined of a banana, pineapple, orange and eat a popsicle or lollipop for dessert at night. Is that crazy ? LOL.

As far as the type of exercise I do, I try to vary it a lot because I heard your body gets used to the same exercises over time. So, I may jog on the treadmill, walk at a high incline, do HIIT running (run as fast as I can for 1 min, walk 2 min, repeat). For the first time ever, I started strength training b/c I read it can help w weight loss. I have some dumbbells that I will lift (I'll find like a 30 min strength training vid on YouTube and do some lifting, squats, etc.) I don't want muscles, but It'd be nice I guess to tone up. Even at my lowest weight , my stomach was not flat. Maybe that was bc I didn't strength train to tone up the flab. Or maybe genetically I'm just not meant to have a flat stomach. Looking good in clothes is different than looking good in a bathing suit :(

THANK YOU again for your response! I wish you the best as you continue your maintenance journey!

• eslteacheramy
    Options
    I'm almost 5'2. I eat that way, naturally, but still have to watch my diet if I want to lose weight! I'll usually eat a sandwich or snack before dinner. Today, I just had lots of coffee and some cottage cheese until around 4 and then ate lentil soup, spanikopita, and rice and sweet tea. I probably will just drink a glass of wine or something later. 1175 calories according to mfp...probably really 1500 or so. 😋

ah hi fellow short person! lol, technically I'm 5'1 1/2, so I sometimes round down to 5'1 to account for any mistakes I make counting calories. Yes! I may have a coffee in the morning, and lately for "lunch" I may have a little turkey lunch meat and a apple. Then I'll save my remaining 800 or 900 for a decent dinner and sometimes dessert. I am a recovering sugar addict so I still need SOMETHING sweet after dinner most nights. I recently started eating cottage cheese! Yes, I love it b/c it has a lot of protein which supposedly keeps you "fuller" longer. On a Saturday I may have a hard boiled egg for breakfast, some cottage cheese for "lunch" and then a nice dinner out at a restaurant.

I didn't know there was an official name- OMAD, lol.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,648 Member
    edited February 23
    Options
    BMI states that a healthy weight for a 5'1 person is 100-127....wtf If I weighed 100 I'd look sick, BMI is such BS!)

I admit that I've only glanced at the thread and you've received advice from some super most excellent people above so I know they would be spot on!

BMI may or may not be BS in certain situations but BMI stating that 100 to 127 is normal weight for a 5ft 1" person does not mean anything for YOU specifically looking or not looking sick at 100lbs.

Because BMI does not say that the whole range of 100 to 127lbs is healthy for YOU, a particular individual 5ft 1" person.

It just says that YOU, one random individual 5ft 1" person, have a higher probability of being healthy IF your weight is SOMEWHERE in the range of 100 to 127lbs.

And guess what? When you were maintaining between 120 and 125 for all these years you WERE EXACTLY in that range!

Beyond that... there is nothing wrong with slow loss especially when you are fighting against the effects of medications. Take it easy. Your long term health comes way before the summer vacation.

A couple of extra comments (free and worth every penny you paid for them!):

--you don't need to "exercise" hard. Any extra purposeful movement is good. this is independent and shouldn't really be additive to your deficit. But moving is good for the body. Instead of sitting at an office you might use a standing desk or walk for a few minutes every hour. Even if it consists of pretending to walk swifly to the bathroom at another floor! :lol:

--Large single meals have some dangers especially if they end up often turning into a binge. They do work for some people. So it is individual. If a restrict binge cycle is developing then it would be a bad idea. If it is a meal that falls within calories (even if calories are maintenance calories) then that could be fine. I would be watchful of frequent episodes ending at above maintenance calories.

--There is a second danger to large meals one I probably personally share with you. Wanting to have a feeling of fullness is a dangerous game to play. It may be worthwhile to try to see if you can learn to avoid it. Or if you can't learn to not want that feeling, to then figure out "tricks" on how you can achieve it with fewer calories. Volume eating could be a potential way. Wanting to be over full leaves you open to overdoing things at maintenance more so than if you were able to regularly walk away satisfied without overindulging. To be clear it is something I want/need and thus had to develop mitigation techniques to avoid over-consuming calories at maintenance. Over-time my desire to over-indulge HAS decreased. But it has not gone away.

--You mention McD's? I go there often! Seems that I always live around one. at my highest weight I used to drive through twice a day for two sandwiches, large fries, large pop. Or morning for coffee with three creams three sugars and a healthy diet muffin (you can laugh now). These days I go and grab a black coffee and a one of the mcmuffins. Or a vanila cone. Or a mcdouble unless I have a big mac coupon or it is hockey night when the big mac is on sale! But I do, as a personal preference which works for me, try to use the fast food outlets as "single item to keep me going" as opposed to "main meal", so there's that!

Best of luck!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,174 Member
    Options
    It sounds like things have been going well for you recently, and that you're on a good course. I do think 30 pounds loss in 5 months is quite aggressive, but it's your body, so your risk tolerance that matters.

Couple comments below

Wow! Thank you so much for your very thorough response! 10 years ago when I was 27, I was at my highest weight (5'1 and 165 lbs). I looked in the mirror that summer while on vacation and realized I needed to make a change. Back then, I had a really weird and unhealthy routine!! I taught high school so I would wake up at 5:30, work 7:30 to 2:30, and not eat all day. At 2:30 I would go get fast food, then go home and take a 4 hour nap (4-8) because I was exhausted as a 1st/2nd year teacher. I'd wake up, eat a very fattening dinner, then go back to sleep. I drank a lot of soda and did 0 exercise. As you can imagine, that was super unhealthy and in retrospect, no wonder I was exhausted when I got home.

It took 12 months but I lost 50 pounds. Back then, it seemed easier because I completely cut out soda and started walking, and that alone took off a lot of weight. Over the last 10 years, I had gained only about 5-10 pounds and maintained at around 120-125. BMI states that a healthy weight for a 5'1 person is 100-127....wtf If I weighed 100 I'd look sick, BMI is such BS!).
    Well . . .

I disagree. BMI is really not intended as a prescription for any individual. It's intended for looking at groups of people as a generality ("20% of the population is overweight" kind of approximation), and for screening individuals ("might want to look more closely at this person to see if they're overweight", but not definitive). It isn't saying "everyone 5'1" can weight anything from 100 to 127 and it's equally fine", it's saying "most people who are 5'1" can find a healthy weight somewhere in the range of 100 to 127".

I mentioned BMI because even though it's only rough approximation, it's about the only way to compare the relative size of people who are different heights.
    I never went back to soda, walked a lot and started running for the first time in my life! (lockdown had me bored with no gym lol). I never counted calories but would kind of estimate and make sure to balance out meals or eat small portions (if I was going to eat a big fattening dinner I'd eat a small lunch or just have 1 scoop of ice cream instead of 3). This worked for 10 years!

April 2023, I began a new medication that has a disclaimer that it "might" cause weight gain (anxiety/depression med). I also went on vacation in the summer for 2 weeks and began drinking soda again and donuts for breakfast everyday lol). I noticed my hunger was increased but figured I'd be fine because I have maintained for all these years. I finally went on the scale Dec. 2023 and saw I gained 20-25 lbs since April!!
    Generally, a medication that may cause weight gain does that through an increase in appetite (so eat more), fatigue (so move less) or water retention (so more scale weight that's not fat), or a combination. It mostly isn't mysterious "metabolic slowdown". Knowing the mechanisms can help with counter-measures, I think. (I've taken drugs that have weight gain as a potential side effect, BTW.)

Gaining 20-25 in 8-9 months implies eating only 270-390 calories over maintenance daily on average. That's pretty easy to do, with increased appetite. A single daily donut could be that much. It's surprising how things like that add up.
    SO, here I am again on this journey. I really appreciate all your feedback! March 2 will be 2 months (8.5 weeks) so I'll go on the scale then to find out how much I've lost. Yeah I definitely don't want to under-eat. I don't think there are ever any days I go below 1200. I guess in my mind losing .5 lbs a week is super slow and to lose 30 lbs that would take like a year. Even just losing 1 lbs a week would take 30 weeks more or less. I was hoping to lose 30 lbs in 5 months (Jan-May) in time for summer. You are right, it's not worth wasting time complaining about it being fair or not. I just didn't quite realize how limited calories are for short people!! But I have to remember what you said- even if I eat above 1200 but below maintenance, I can still be losing something.

Also, I started eating fruit for snacks/lunch. I would have a banana, apple, some pineapple and even a cutie at lunch. But then I stopped and only eat an apple because I felt those were "wasted calories". I'd rather take the calories combined of a banana, pineapple, orange and eat a popsicle or lollipop for dessert at night. Is that crazy ? LOL.
    That's a valid choice, if it works better for you. Personally, I'd find the banana plus pineapple plus orange much more filling, and of course there are more micronutrients/fiber. People who crave sweets and can moderate them definitely may find that including some candy helps stay the course. Compliance with calorie goal is the key thing for loss, so that's important.
    As far as the type of exercise I do, I try to vary it a lot because I heard your body gets used to the same exercises over time.

That's not generally true. For sure, people don't burn fewer calories doing the same exercise at the same intensity because their body gets used to them. (One can burn fewer calories doing something like running as one loses weight of course, since the work is moving the body through space, and a smaller body means less work.)

A fitness tracker may claim we burn fewer calories doing the same thing as we get fitter, but that's a flaw in fitness trackers, not a fact. As we get more cardiovascularly fit, our heart (a muscle) gets stronger. When it's stronger, it pumps more blood (and oxygen) per beat. That means it needs fewer beats to deliver the same amount of oxygen to our muscles. It's oxygen consumption that correlates reasonably well with calorie burn; heart rate is just a possibly-misleading proxy.

As we get fitter, any given exercise feels easier. That's the definition of "getting fitter". It doesn't mean there are lower benefits from the exercise. (It does mean that in order to keep getting fitter, we need to push a bit more - intensity, duration, frequency or type of activity - in order to keep improving fitness further. It's challenging ourself in some way that creates fitness progress.)

All of that said, different exercises do contribute to developing more well-rounded fitness, so a varied routine can be good in that way.
    So, I may jog on the treadmill, walk at a high incline, do HIIT running (run as fast as I can for 1 min, walk 2 min, repeat). For the first time ever, I started strength training b/c I read it can help w weight loss. I have some dumbbells that I will lift (I'll find like a 30 min strength training vid on YouTube and do some lifting, squats, etc.) I don't want muscles, but It'd be nice I guess to tone up.

"Toned" is a matter of having some degree of muscularity, and the right amount of body fat covering it so that it has the appearance you personally prefer. There is no toning without muscle development.

Don't worry, you won't suddenly get giant muscles overnight. Even if you challenge yourself with the weight training (a good idea), progress will be quite gradual (slow). Once you get a look you like, you can drop back to a maintenance routine to stay there. You're not going to wake up "bulky" one morning, not having noticed before that.

Women who are very muscular, such as bodybuilders, work very hard for a very long time to get that look. They also lose body fat to an extreme before competing so that muscles really show. No one's going to get there without trying.

Being stronger is useful in daily life. Being more muscular does boost metabolism a tiny bit at rest. (Tiny.) Being stronger does make it more fun and easy to move more in daily life, so we usually move more without noticing and burn more calories that way. Strength training routinely will help keep bones strong, avoid osteoporosis when older (a major health risk and even life-shortener for women). Strength training is a good plan.
    Even at my lowest weight , my stomach was not flat. Maybe that was bc I didn't strength train to tone up the flab. Or maybe genetically I'm just not meant to have a flat stomach. Looking good in clothes is different than looking good in a bathing suit :(
    You might get a clearer idea of what's normal and realistic from this thread:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10689837/does-this-uterus-make-my-stomach-look-fat/p1

I'm quite certain that you can reach a point where you look great in a swimsuit, if that's a priority. It will take work ;) . Regardless, go to the beach, wear a bathing suit, enjoy yourself . . . at any size or shape. Life is too short to miss out on fun.
    THANK YOU again for your response! I wish you the best as you continue your maintenance journey!

You're welcome, and thank YOU. Sadly, I'm wordy like that. :|:flowerforyou: But I do like to see other people succeed with weight management and improved fitness, because those things have been powerful life improvements for me.

Best wishes!
  • AdahPotatah2024
    Options
    I recently found the smart BMI from a post on here. It makes so much sense to me, and takes age into account. I am the same height that I was when I was 16 and 105 pounds, size 2 petite. I'd be very underweight at 105, now, and would definitely look unhealthy. About 140 size 8 petite is healthiest for me at my age. I also think aiming for a waist size less than half my height might be a good way to measure health.
  • AdahPotatah2024
    Options
    Almost OMAD seems to work well for me!
  • eslteacheramy
    Options
    I know I couldn't do a strict OMAD diet because I need more than 1 hour a day to eat! Well, I just did my 2 month weigh in (Jan 2-March 2) and the scale says I've lost 12 lbs. I have also been strength training 2x a week . So the almost OMAD-1200 calories has been working! Now I just wonder if I can lose another 12 pounds in the next 2 months or if it will be more difficult. Jan 2 I was 146, March 2 I was 134. I only weigh myself 1x a month though, so I also wonder if that number is actually higher or lower. Time will tell!
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Hi!

So is it once a week or twice (or more) a week? That will make a difference.
  • eslteacheramy
    Options
    It is usually Fridays and Saturdays, but it still fits into my 1200 calorie limit.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    It is usually Fridays and Saturdays, but it still fits into my 1200 calorie limit.

To be honest on 1200 calories a day and a couple days where most of the food is high calorie, low nutrition, I'd really be watching to ensure adequate nutrition for health.