Drawbacks to a Ketogenic Diet?

Options

Replies

• Viridian1539
    Viridian1539 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Weekend Review
    EXHAUSTING. For one of my jobs we're ramping up for our major fundraiser, so after helping with watching younger siblings all of Saturday, I spent the greater part of Sunday afternoon addressing envelopes. Only 100 or so left to go! Phew

One reflection I had about both Taekwondo and my evening runs is that while my energy has been stable throughout, it's a lower stable than usual. I don't get the adrenaline 1/3 of the way through to really get me going. I've read on a couple running blogs that I follow that is fairly typical when on a LCHF diet like Keto.

Day 13 Thoughts
    Other than a slow start to the day (stayed up way too late last night working on those silly envelopes!) today is fairly standard. I have a busy evening ahead of me with work, chores, and Bible study, but this week the routine events are on their usual days, so it's less stressful even if it's busier. Job #1 is fairly chill today too, so that's nice.

As for actual keto diet changes updates, I don't really have any. That sweet taste came back this morning and I have a feeling it's related to having smaller breakfasts. The three days I had it were all days when I had a light or late breakfast. Could be correlation not causation, but we'll see. Otherwise just plugging along getting ready to plan the grocery list for next week.

Found a keto chicken cordon bleu casserole that I'm eager to try making, plus I'm going to get some of that fancy deli roast beef as a treat for getting half way through. Maybe some asparagus to cook up with the pork I have in the freezer. All those fun meal planning things.

Hoping you have a great day! Mercy & Peace!

• Viridian1539
    Options
    Lenten Diet - Day 13

Calorie total: 1,124/1,730
    Carb Count: 10g
    Water Intake: 55 oz.

Benefits Noticed:
    - Steadier, better mood/mindset
    - Clearer (but not totally clear) skin

Drawbacks Noticed:
    - Energy levels steady, but lower than what I would call “usual”
    - Acne popped up at corner of mouth that I think is partially bacon’s fault, or at least has been aggravated by the oily bacon. Been there since day 3 or 4 and only just now starting to disappear
    - So many eggs…
    - I feel sleepy during/after my lunch break walk. Generally I eat lunch while working about an hour before, then go on my half hour, 1.5ish mile stroll on my 30, but maybe I need to eat closer to the time when I’m going out? I resumed doing these last Thursday after not having done it since end of Jan, but I’ve done plenty of other

Changes:
    - Find alternatives to eggs without sacrificing low carb, higher cal. Breakfasts
    - Stick to larger breakfast, light lunch/snacks and midsized dinner as that seems to work best for energy and eliminates sweet taste
    - Up water intake

Day 14 Thoughts
    Well, I guess I'm intermittent fasting today because I missed my alarm and was running out the door to get to the dentist in time. No breakfast, no lunch. :sweat_smile: Thankfully I don't work a very physical job at job 1, so I'll just need to keep an eye on my water intake and I should be fine.

Right after I said yesterday that my skin was seeming clearer, I've got a zit or cold sore or something trying to show up on my chin. Sigh. Aesthetically I couldn't care less, but it's very hard for me not to consistently mess with acne and/or wounds of any kind and I end up making the problem worse. Not really keto's fault though!

My run last night was tough though. I was out for about half and hour and I walked most of the time because I kept hitting a wall of exhaustion after about 2 minutes of (slow) running. I'm definitely not the world's best runner, but I could tell it was well below my baseline. I read a couple of runner's tips blogs and I can't say I wasn't warned, but it was slightly disheartening with race day only 5 weeks out.

For anyone looking at the weight loss side of Keto: The last three days I've been holding steady at around 184, which I'm not mad at. Good to be sub-185. First time in 2 years. I started off at 191.8 on day 2, so after 2 weeks that marks a 7.8 lb loss. To me that doesn't seem sustainable/healthy, but I've been advised by some of you as well as my weight loss group on discord that it's fairly typical to drop water weight really fast at the beginning, so I'm not as worried as I was.

Long post so I'll wrap it up there. Have a good one!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,923 Member
    edited February 27
    Options
    Lenten Diet - Day 13

Benefits Noticed:

Drawbacks Noticed:
    - Acne popped up at corner of mouth that I think is partially bacon’s fault, or at least has been aggravated by the oily bacon. Been there since day 3 or 4 and only just now starting to disappear
    - So many eggs…
    - I feel sleepy during/after my lunch break walk. Generally I eat lunch while working about an hour before, then go on my half hour, 1.5ish mile stroll on my 30, but maybe I need to eat closer to the time when I’m going out? I resumed doing these last Thursday after not having done it since end of Jan, but I’ve done plenty of other

Changes:
    - Find alternatives to eggs without sacrificing low carb, higher cal. Breakfasts
    - Stick to larger breakfast, light lunch/snacks and midsized dinner as that seems to work best for energy and eliminates sweet taste
    - Up water intake

Day 14 Thoughts
    Well, I guess I'm intermittent fasting today because I missed my alarm and was running out the door to get to the dentist in time. No breakfast, no lunch. :sweat_smile: Thankfully I don't work a very physical job at job 1, so I'll just need to keep an eye on my water intake and I should be fine.

Right after I said yesterday that my skin was seeming clearer, I've got a zit or cold sore or something trying to show up on my chin. Sigh. Aesthetically I couldn't care less, but it's very hard for me not to consistently mess with acne and/or wounds of any kind and I end up making the problem worse. Not really keto's fault though!

My run last night was tough though. I was out for about half and hour and I walked most of the time because I kept hitting a wall of exhaustion after about 2 minutes of (slow) running. I'm definitely not the world's best runner, but I could tell it was well below my baseline. I read a couple of runner's tips blogs and I can't say I wasn't warned, but it was slightly disheartening with race day only 5 weeks out.

For anyone looking at the weight loss side of Keto: The last three days I've been holding steady at around 184, which I'm not mad at. Good to be sub-185. First time in 2 years. I started off at 191.8 on day 2, so after 2 weeks that marks a 7.8 lb loss. To me that doesn't seem sustainable/healthy, but I've been advised by some of you as well as my weight loss group on discord that it's fairly typical to drop water weight really fast at the beginning, so I'm not as worried as I was.

I think you have to keep in mind that to be fully metabolically adapted that it's quite individual but the majority of the research shows it take 4 to 8 weeks before fully fat adapted. Many long distant runners, people running 100k plus swear by ketosis and it actually protects against hitting the wall. I've been on a ketogenic diet for over a decade off and on with low carb and I play hockey and weight lift a few time a week and with hockey I have no problem being in ketosis, lots of energy and weight training I find sometimes I'm fine and I've also carb loaded before working out that was better as ell, but not every time, so it's kind of an individual thing I suspect. 2 weeks is pretty early and surprised you actually haven't encountered the "keto flue" symptoms more so, anyway thanks for posting your findings. :)

You may be interested in this article, a marathon runner.

https://runnersblueprint.com/keto-marathon-training/#The%20Case%20of%20Zach%20Bitter
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    @Viridian1539, I'm really enjoying reading your thoughtful (and thought-provoking) posts. It's interesting to read the perspective of someone who seems not to be a "true believer" in a particular dietary style, but who is trying it with an open mind and reporting subjective perceptions of it. For clarity, keto is a style I would never personally try (unless it was medically important) because it's too far from my preferred eating style. I do (I hope!) have an open mind about how it may affect those who do it without a strong bias going into it.

Lenten Diet - Day 13

Benefits Noticed:

Drawbacks Noticed:
    - So many eggs…

Changes:

Have you taken a look at the MFP-famous protein thread for ideas? If not, it might be helpful:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

- Up water intake

Day 14 Thoughts

On the bright side, you could be setting yourself up for a really good carb re-load in the week before the race, if the timing works out right. I'm sure you realize that carb loading for an event is ideally a multi-day thing before race day, one that starts with carb depletion.

Again, thanks for the interesting thread!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    Let's remember to keep conversation generally pleasant folks - we're here to talk about drawbacks in order to help counteract them/help newbies to the keto world decide if it is right for their bodies or not! Not to put down people who do keto one way or a different way.

As I'm meal planning for next week, I'm definitely looking at ways to do a "clean" keto. I need motivation/better planning to get more protein again, especially with resuming my regular workouts. @VegjoyP I know you remarked you've tried both vegan and clean keto - do you have any good recipe resources you utilized?

Same for everyone here: Any good high protein recipes that are keto-friendly that you can recommend? (Please note I can't eat fish, mushrooms, or tofu due to sensory and flavor issues with those foods)

For recipes, try allrecipes.com and filter by keto or low carb. I find the reviews very helpful. There are often useful trends in the reviews like “too much salt,“ “cook time too long/short.“ Etc.

I really like the library for cookbooks. In my current state of Massachusetts, as well as New York and Florida, there are interlibrary loans, so there was a vast pool from which to get books.

Probably not helpful side-notes:

I like the taste of mushrooms very much, but not the texture. So I cook with them, pick them out, and give them to my boyfriend, who is not all that appreciative so I try to be surreptitious about this 😆

I also like salmon medium rare (slimy) but find it inedible if it is well done.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Yes, well done salmon should be against the law. :#
  • RedSydney
    RedSydney Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You don't mention exactly what you are eating, but I saw in an early post that you were missing fruit. Try to get some berries. Strawberries and blueberries are pretty easy to find and often on sale this time of year. I agree that most of the keto/low carb recipes for dessert are not very good or have you using overly processed fake ingredients. Some berries with plain yogurt or heavy cream (if you do dairy) would be a good choice.

• Viridian1539
    Options
    Day 17 Thoughts

Only a couple minutes to post - it's been a crazy week with both jobs. With one we have a new ED so there's a lot of shifting in the organization happening, and the other is ramping up for the big summer events, so I'm busy busy.

Last couple of days it's been a real struggle to eat. I'm just not feeling hungry at all. In fact, beyond that, I'm feeling full after taking like two bites. Not sure if this is a keto thing or a stressed/coming down with something thing. I'll continue to monitor the situation.

A lot of people talk about your skin getting clearer with keto, but I have not seen that. In fact, two days ago I broke out in cystic acne all over my face. Real fun... Again though, this could be a stress response.

While cal consumption is a struggle, I'm back on track with my water at least. I'll continue to pay close attention to that because hydration is a big issue for me.

That's all I have. Potentially more tomorrow, but time is the one thing I have less of than money :sweat_smile:
  • Viridian1539
    Options
    @Melwillbehealthy It's funny you mention pasta - I was craving it all weekend! My family wasn't the richest growing up, and during the lean times we ate a lot of lasagna and chicken noodle soups because it was cheap and even the pickiest of us kids would eat it, so it's a bit of a comfort food for me. It's so great that you're finding what works for you and moving forward with it! No need to go full keto if you don't want/need to, and even if you can't name the specific diet, it's great to hear it's helping.

Weekend Review
    Sister surprised me with tickets to Dune part 2 on Friday, so we went to a 9p showing. Theater got out at 1:30a, we weren't home until 2:45a... then was up around 7a to watch my youngest brother while the fam was at a BSA fundraiser. So sleep this weekend was rough.

But I'm still keeping with keto, though my water intake is an up hill battle again. Eating enough calories is hard too.

When I started, I could (and was) eating 2 strips of bacon, 3 eggs, 1 cup spinach, 1/3 cup cheese, and various bits of spices/cilantro/green onion for breakfast, sometimes with a couple sausage links as well. I usually clocked in about 600-700 cals, and then would have a light lunch and then a larger dinner of chicken or steak salad or something like that. I was occasionally a little hungry between meals, mostly my same old always hungry feeling that was easy enough to push aside.

Last couple of days when I've had breakfast (or any meal) I'm managing 1 strip of bacon, 2 eggs, maybe some spinach and boom, I'm full. 300-400 cals. And when I say full I don't mean "until lunch". It's just ongoing.

Yesterday in a moment of late sleeping followed by forgetfulness, I ate "breakfast" at 11a, and then nothing the rest of the day. Granted it wasn't a super active day, but I woke up not hungry even slightly this morning (and was late for work so haven't had breakfast yet). Poor choice, I'm sure, but I have no feeling of needing food. And I'm not feeling sluggish or much tired anymore.

I can certainly see why many people couple Keto with IF, assuming this is a normal trait of the keto diet.

That said, I know I need to get better at remembering to eat, even (and especially) if that means I have to start packing more snacks and such to eat throughout the day instead of larger 1-off meals. Today is grocery day, so I'll be getting the things I need to do meal prep for the week, and that should help tremendously.
  • neanderthin
    edited March 4
    Options
    Nice to see your sticking to it despite it's inherent difficulty. Yeah, the satiating effect is pretty real and I have occasionally the same problem of remembering to eat, it seems to come more often where the less I eat the less hungry I am.

Ketones are also a survival mechanism for times of starvation or carbohydrate restriction. One of the interesting effects with starvation and ketone production is it's effect on the brain, making us more alert and also elevating our metabolism temporarily or maintain better and longer, basically the opposite of being tired, which again was for survival to venture out longer in an effort to find food without feeling exhausted and tired which fits with you not feeling sluggish or tired. Thanks for posting this intervention. :)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,120 Member
    Options
    That increased satiety is one of the reasons I eat a high percentage of my calories from fat in my ketovore way of eating. It allows me to get the calories in when I get full so easily.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,114 Member
    Options
    There are lots of keto recipe sites on Facebook. You can save them by clicking on the 3… at the top right corner. You can then make collections like casseroles, appetizers… some of the sites are just for trying to sell the “diet”. To access your saved collection when you open FB at the bottom click on the 4 dot menu button.
  • Viridian1539
    Options
    Day 20 Review

Calorie total: 588/1,730
    Carb Count: 18g
    Water Intake: 82 oz.

Benefits Noticed:
    - N/A

Drawbacks Noticed:
    - Tiny appetite

Changes:
    - EAT MORE FOOD

I know, I had just said I would try to eat more.... and then wasn't home until late and didn't want to eat right before bed (I can never sleep if I've eaten less than an hour or so before bed)

Day 21 Thoughts
    Well I'm halfway through now and so far it's been a good exercise in intentionality. I'm still maintaining at around 184. (184.0 this morning in fact). I had been down to 181.8, but the last two days have gone back up. Perhaps because I was exercising more? Or maybe in protest to not eating enough :sweat_smile:

Long-term I could see myself doing shorter keto cycles, like mentioned in this article: https://marathonhandbook.com/keto-and-running/
    But otherwise I'll probably only use it in the future as a tool for times of fasting/meditation such as Lent or personal times of reflection.

The biggest drawbacks are the heavy restrictions, making it more difficult to participate in family/friend/work group activities involving meals. It's awkward to bring a completely different meal during work potlucks. Next I'd say is the lack of fruits. It's hard to find ways to incorporate them in without exceeding the 20g carbs per day. Those who do a higher level keto (I've seen people do up to 50) might have more room for that.
    I'm also generally wary of sugar substitutes, so other than using swerve for one specific dessert recipe that I made to share with coworkers, I've been avoiding those. I miss having honey in my tea!

Those who enjoy/need keto, more power to you! There seem to be quite a few benefits (more stable energy levels, less frequent mood swings, weight loss, etc per my observations) which definitely speak towards it's helpfulness. Personally however, I think I'd rather stick with CICO tracking and while perhaps sticking to lower added sugars, I don't want to be avoiding fruits and veggies and meals I love just because it might help my energy a bit. But I'm one who - under correct bedtime routines - has very little trouble with energy.

TL:DR - There's no "right" way to go about the nutrition/health journey (though there are definitely several wrong ways!) so if Keto works well for you, by all means, go for it! And if it doesn't, no shame here!

Hope this thread has been informative so far! I'll keep trying to post and then I'll do a long, in-depth review primarily of the drawbacks to close it out (May be the day after Easter rather than day-of due to family events/traditions to observe).
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    Day 20 Review

Benefits Noticed:
    - N/A

Drawbacks Noticed:
    - Tiny appetite

Changes:
    - EAT MORE FOOD

I know, I had just said I would try to eat more.... and then wasn't home until late and didn't want to eat right before bed (I can never sleep if I've eaten less than an hour or so before bed)

Day 21 Thoughts
    Well I'm halfway through now and so far it's been a good exercise in intentionality. I'm still maintaining at around 184. (184.0 this morning in fact). I had been down to 181.8, but the last two days have gone back up. Perhaps because I was exercising more? Or maybe in protest to not eating enough :sweat_smile:

Long-term I could see myself doing shorter keto cycles, like mentioned in this article: https://marathonhandbook.com/keto-and-running/
    But otherwise I'll probably only use it in the future as a tool for times of fasting/meditation such as Lent or personal times of reflection.

The biggest drawbacks are the heavy restrictions, making it more difficult to participate in family/friend/work group activities involving meals. It's awkward to bring a completely different meal during work potlucks. Next I'd say is the lack of fruits. It's hard to find ways to incorporate them in without exceeding the 20g carbs per day. Those who do a higher level keto (I've seen people do up to 50) might have more room for that.
    I'm also generally wary of sugar substitutes, so other than using swerve for one specific dessert recipe that I made to share with coworkers, I've been avoiding those. I miss having honey in my tea!

Those who enjoy/need keto, more power to you! There seem to be quite a few benefits (more stable energy levels, less frequent mood swings, weight loss, etc per my observations) which definitely speak towards it's helpfulness. Personally however, I think I'd rather stick with CICO tracking and while perhaps sticking to lower added sugars, I don't want to be avoiding fruits and veggies and meals I love just because it might help my energy a bit. But I'm one who - under correct bedtime routines - has very little trouble with energy.

TL:DR - There's no "right" way to go about the nutrition/health journey (though there are definitely several wrong ways!) so if Keto works well for you, by all means, go for it! And if it doesn't, no shame here!

Hope this thread has been informative so far! I'll keep trying to post and then I'll do a long, in-depth review primarily of the drawbacks to close it out (May be the day after Easter rather than day-of due to family events/traditions to observe).

Well said!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    Day 20 Review

Benefits Noticed:
    - N/A

Drawbacks Noticed:
    - Tiny appetite

Changes:
    - EAT MORE FOOD

Day 21 Thoughts

This has been a really interesting thread, IMO. Thank you for doing it.

Sometimes eating-style threads here devolve into a debate between passionate true believers and haters (exaggerating a little ;) ).

It's very informative to see someone try on a new eating style and report on it in a way that feels nonpartisan but still personal and specific. I appreciate the time you've put into the thread!
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Yes, thanks for taking the time and informing everyone with your personal experience. Although this was about sacrifice during lent, and I get that, it was still informative. Thanks again. :)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,120 Member
    Options
    I also appreciate your feedback. I do find it interesting that one of the things you consider a drawback, is one of the things I consider a strength, namely the reduced appetite. Early on, when I had 80 pounds to lose and a seemingly uncontrollable appetite, going keto was an excellent remedy. As time went on, that effect moderated, and while I don't usually have overwhelming hunger, I no longer have days where I eat one meal and am full for the whole day.