Rinsing cottage cheese to reduce sodium

Options
124»

Replies

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I lurve cottage cheese. It's great on top of old smoky or baked potatoes, vege cooked in the micro, it actually goes with almost everything. On toast, spaghetti, lasagna, sourdough rye crackers...the sky is not the limit. My mother ate cottage cheese and fruit almost every day before she had my sister. She has the best teeth. big-smile2-smiley.gif?1292867555.
  • MixedbarbieMOM1991
    MixedbarbieMOM1991 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    That sounds gross
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,216 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Why does this weird *kitten* thread keep getting bumped?? :laugh:

Maybe because it's a weird *kitten* thread?
  • jls1leather
    jls1leather Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't rinsing cottage cheese also rinse out much if the whey protein?
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Why does this weird *kitten* thread keep getting bumped?? :laugh:

Maybe because it's a weird *kitten* thread?

Though not quite as weird as the pickle thread that gets bumped approximately every other year.
  • walking2running
    walking2running Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    this is the worst advice ever. what would this watery cottage cheese taste like? yuch
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Hmm no thanks
  • pjayzjourney79
    pjayzjourney79 Posts: 1 Member
    edited February 26
    Options
    Thanks for this. I LOVE cottage cheese for its blendability, protein content, taste and convenience, but that sodium content is way off the charts. I have to keep my sodium down to at a max 1K mg a day (doctor's orders), and I had heard of rinsing it, but it sounded just too weird and icky. So, today I finally tried it. Put about a half cup in a little mesh colander and ran some filtered water over it and to my surprise, the curds stayed intact in the colander just fine and all this salty goop came off. I used the clean curds with my avocado salad and they were delish! Finally, a solution. Wish I had started doing this a LONG time ago. Cheers!
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,602 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this. I LOVE cottage cheese for its blendability, protein content, taste and convenience, but that sodium content is way off the charts. I have to keep my sodium down to at a max 1K mg a day (doctor's orders), and I had heard of rinsing it, but it sounded just too weird and icky. So, today I finally tried it. Put about a half cup in a little mesh colander and ran some filtered water over it and to my surprise, the curds stayed intact in the colander just fine and all this salty goop came off. I used the clean curds with my avocado salad and they were delish! Finally, a solution. Wish I had started doing this a LONG time ago. Cheers!

Zombie thread but I always look into this when I can't get my beloved no salt added cottage cheese and am reduced to buying the loaded variety and it's just way...too...salty...for me.

I never actually rinsed the cottage cheese because I also like the creamy part even tho I also mix my cottage cheese with greek yogurt.

I've totally started buying the loaded canned chicken tho and rinsing works out fine :)
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »

Zombie thread but I always look into this when I can't get my beloved no salt added cottage cheese and am reduced to buying the loaded variety and it's just way...too...salty...for me.

I never actually rinsed the cottage cheese because I also like the creamy part even tho I also mix my cottage cheese with greek yogurt.

I've totally started buying the loaded canned chicken tho and rinsing works out fine :)
    It’s supposed to be easy to make from scratch. I’ll get around to trying, eventually.

We are going to learn to make farmers cheese in Romania later this year. I can’t wait!!!!

Have made paneer. It’s crazy easy to make from scratch.
  • 200Karen
    200Karen Posts: 1,784 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating cottage cheese because of sodium content. Now I’m going to rinse and enjoy.

For some meals that I liked cottage cheese with I switched to sour cream.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,203 Member
    Options
    200Karen wrote: »
    I stopped eating cottage cheese because of sodium content. Now I’m going to rinse and enjoy.

For some meals that I liked cottage cheese with I switched to sour cream.

Check for low sodium versions:

l7c3kw46zcnf.jpg
  • Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 484 Member
    edited March 5
    Options
    I could see the rinsed curds sprinkled similar to feta crumbles or other shaved cheeses randomly sprinkled.

Maybe tossed with savory spices (onion, garlic powders, blackening seasoning), then sprinkled over the dish.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,927 Member
    Options
    I remember reading washing cooked hamburger was a thing to lower fat.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,174 Member
    Options

That’s how I’ve always done it. That’s the way we always did it in my family growing up and now it tastes slimy and weird if I don’t rinse it off first.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    COGypsy wrote: »

That’s how I’ve always done it. That’s the way we always did it in my family growing up and now it tastes slimy and weird if I don’t rinse it off first.

Me 2
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,602 Member
    Options
    The meat was washed AFTER it was cooked? The one or two times I attempted to make hamburgers, I did it on a George Foreman grill. That's really all I remember about that experience :)
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,174 Member
    Options
    I don’t notice the slime much on grilled patties, I think because the fat drips off naturally instead of marinating in the grease like when you brown it in a pan. I’ve never made hamburger patties in a pan though. But yeah, brown the hamburger, dump into a colander and rinse with warm/hot water. Wipe the grease out of the pan. Then back in the pan, season, and make whatever you’re planning to.