WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2024

Options

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,701 Member
    edited February 29
    Options
    April- my goodness im so sorry that your son has suffered such injuries ,but im so glad he has moved closer to you,and you can visit him ..my prayers for his continued healing.
    Yes for sure we will look for used..thats how we did when my kids were young..that and tag sales..
    Kyle on the other hand hmmmm lets just say. I think he doesn't want used stuff,and I think he is still freaking out about twins..
    So we shall see.still early..he just needs to get a grip and He better help with 3 under 3..
    hd104uacw0xa.jpg
    Celebrating Dr Seuss 's Birthday
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    House buying-Here, the market is wild. Houses are on the market one day and off the next. If you wait, you miss it. So, you have to get pre-approved for a loan and have an idea of an offer that you make pretty much on the spot, most likely above asking and over your budget. If you do manage to get a bid in, there is always a counteroffer. Real estate agents here are politicians. They have to be savvy and good negotiators.

I have no desire to buy another house. There is always something that needs to be fixed, replaced, or changed and most of the time, those things are not cheap.

Tina in CA

• dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    [quote="Snowflake1968;c-47965952"

Debbie - I really wish your DH would walk away, it would be better for all concerned. The way she treats him he owes her nothing.
    I’m more like you I enjoy some quiet, DH always has the tv on.

Had an interesting class today, we listened to a podcast where teens were given to opportunity to speak freely without fear of repercussions. They were given pseudonyms. They were given one interview in 2018 and the one we listened to was a follow-up on Jan 1 2020.
    One 16 year old stated used an analogy to describe anxiety and depression.
    He said that anxiety is the lighter fluid and depression is the match. It’s a dangerous combination.
    Very accurate in my opinion.

Have a nice night ladies.
    Tracey in Edmonton[/quote]

I wish he could walk away too. It is out of obligation on his part. He is the only family here. She has a niece in Osaka who has said she could move over there(but only after she gets her name on all of her bank accounts/house/etc-then she will put her in a rest home there)

• LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    And... scheduled for one more X-ray tomorrow, a chest X-ray to eliminate one more possible infection before they get the biologic prescribed. They're pretty careful, I've been tested for everything under the sun, and a few more to come. Weirdly reassuring.

Allie - Hope everything turns out well for Tracy and fam.

Re: Housebuying
    - Paying off our house yesterday was genuinely one of the high points in our financial lives, but the thought of buying another house makes me twitch. I would not willingly do it again anytime soon. The relief in not paying rent or a mortgage is enormous. I don't necessarily think it's cheaper, even with no mortgage. All of that disappears into repairs and renovations, in the end. Throw in insurance and taxes, and the rewards aren't financial, but are hugely more mental and satisfying.

Anna - Well done on the weight loss! Pleased that the rapid loss is under a doctor and dietician's advice and care. You're doing this right. I love refinishing furniture, but don't really have enough space here until we someday get a shop space built. It slides under things... :smiley:

Heather - Love the art, glad I brought the smile both for you and Michele and Beth. Sorry about the loss of the Hairy Biker. I've watched a number of their shows, very engaging men, and you do get attached to people that we respect and admire.

April - No need to worry about us - no stresses from here. We've held out arms and hands and hearts for so many of us as we've dealt with incredible family or our own individual stresses and fears like yours. Stop in when you can so we know how you're doing. That's not pressure, but a place to say what needs saying or think what needs thinking out loud. Glad your son is near. Many good thoughts coming your way.

Time for dinner...
    Love y'all,
    Lisa in aR

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,337 Member
    Options

Another busy day! Plan to catch up tomorrow - You gals have been busy!!

Barbara - please add me to your message to Katla. Photo and ID info OK. Thank you for doing this. I also messaged you. :p

Lanette B)
    SW WA State
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Today’s gratitude: Relief! ;}
    Debbie You did great getting DH outside and ignoring MIL and doing the yardwork. IMHO when she refuses to eat, just ignore it. Just my two cents but DH might want to pay for MIL’s internet just to keep an eye. Dead people coming in through the computer is a scary symptom. ((hugs))

Later, lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    February: Move more than yesterday, fuel better than yesterday, live NOW.
    Open heart and mind before mouth.
    2024: Strengthen: body, mind, heart-connections.

We are already paying for her life alert necklace . Add in the internet, which is another $125 a month for just internet plus what he spends on gas and other things that she requests then throws a fit about them after he buys them so he just pays for it(very maddening to me).
    The dead people coming from the computer are her dead son(her favorite) and friends of hers I think- I don't know- I haven't heard her talk about them.
    It wouldn't be an issue if she appreciated even a little of it.
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Barbara, please include me any way you like in the message to Katla.
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    took mil's dog for a very quick walk this morning- a bit drizzly- not bad and I had my rain coat on but he just had a sweater and I didn't want him getting too wet and mil throwing a fit about him getting a little wet.
    Walked the wetlands but only part of the way- just did the 40min walk instead of the 60- It was a bit rainy but worse was the wind- walking with winds of 25mph was a bit rough on some spots. Great with the wind behind me, harder when it was in my face. Was careful to watch the eucalyptus grove- a few have fallen( combination of all the rain and the wind). Thankfully-it was blowing the trees away from my path for the most part. Hit my 10,000 steps before I got back to the car.
    Wanted to walk more to make up for leaving Zumba 20 min early last night- I was too stressed about dh. He was ok, just exhausted, mentally and physically. Gave him a glass of Moscato with dinner then two melatonin gummies- he said he fell asleep while he was painting one of the Godzillas. Slept great all night which he really needed. Knows to just ignore his mom when she gets mad about something- doesn't do any good to fight. Frustrating but has to do it.
    She is mad about pretty much each thing we bought her, even though the only reason we did was because she asked for them. She just has to be hateful about everything.
    Her "friend" is coming over tomorrow for her birthday. This "Friend" is a co-worker of her other son , the favorite, that died. She comes over with her hand out and to stir the pot and cause even more drama for dh.
    Mil is mad that no one sent cards- she can be nasty to everyone but expects them to be all nice to her.

Going to try something new for dinner. Clams and shrimp in a scampi sauce over pasta or rice(they can pick)
    The new Asian market had frozen clams for $3.33(3 paks for $10-had to buy three). The also had the crunchy panko crusted shrimp 4/$10 (10 shrimp in a pak)- Cooked one yesterday and dh ate the whole thing between lunch and dinner. Have frozen already cooked and cleaned shrimp to add to the clams.

Have a great evening

Debbie
    Napa Valley, CA
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,545 Member
    Options
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Barbara … add my name/photo/whatever to the note to Katla. Thank you
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,917 Member
    Options
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,701 Member
    Options
    Barbara- please add me to the list ,for message to Katla and picture also..sure do miss her.
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    Barbara- you can add me to the list- sorry, no picture. Still haven't figured out how to do that(says the file is too big or something) NOT computer savvy
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,868 Member
    edited March 1
    Options
    bwcetc wrote: »
    This morning DH had a colonoscopy (all is well) and I was the designated driver! This afternoon I chose my cochlear implant processor colors ( I get two processors ... one that's traditional and one that's for the "fashion conscious") and my accessories. Cool stuff. Reading up on the surgery, expectations, education, etc.

Beth near Buffalo

So ... what colour did you choose? :)

sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    House buying-Here, the market is wild. Houses are on the market one day and off the next. If you wait, you miss it. So, you have to get pre-approved for a loan and have an idea of an offer that you make pretty much on the spot, most likely above asking and over your budget. If you do manage to get a bid in, there is always a counteroffer. Real estate agents here are politicians. They have to be savvy and good negotiators.

I have no desire to buy another house. There is always something that needs to be fixed, replaced, or changed and most of the time, those things are not cheap.

Tina in CA

Housing prices are dropping here because interest rates are going up. But owners have been listing houses high, for the most part, still hoping to get that price.

Slightly over half the houses have been going for less than what they were listed for. Some have been going for exactly what houses have been listed for. And a few have been going for over what houses have been listed for, but not by much.

In this market, I expected negotiation. Put in a lowish offer and get a counteroffer. But that is not happening. We're told to put in our "very best offer" and maybe the owner will pick ours. :neutral:

Back in December I intended to send Katla a note from her mfp friends, but dropped the ball. Katla was an active participant in the thread until health and memory issues caused her and her DH to move into assisted living near their daughter. I’d intended something like the attached, but didn’t follow through. If you remember Katla and would like to be included, please post or pm me. If you DON’T want your profile pic and id included, let me know if you want your signon name, or to be taken out completely.
    stscdewcifcf.jpg

Thanks!

Yes, you can include me. :)

And... scheduled for one more X-ray tomorrow, a chest X-ray to eliminate one more possible infection before they get the biologic prescribed. They're pretty careful, I've been tested for everything under the sun, and a few more to come. Weirdly reassuring.

Re: Housebuying [/b]- Paying off our house yesterday was genuinely one of the high points in our financial lives

I often wish doctors had one of those things on Star Trek which Dr McCoy used to diagnose everything. Just run a little hand held device up and down our bodies and know exactly what's wrong.

And congratulations!!

Machka in Oz
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,454 Member
    Options
    Back in December I intended to send Katla a note from her mfp friends, but dropped the ball. Katla was an active participant in the thread until health and memory issues caused her and her DH to move into assisted living near their daughter. I’d intended something like the attached, but didn’t follow through. If you remember Katla and would like to be included, please post or pm me. If you DON’T want your profile pic and id included, let me know if you want your signon name, or to be taken out completely.
    stscdewcifcf.jpg

Thanks!

Oh please put me in there. With my profile picture please! Thanks!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,566 Member
    Options
    stscdewcifcf.jpg

Thanks!

Please include me. I miss her so terribly. This is a kindness.

Flea
    Willamette Valley OR