WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2024

Options

Replies

• Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,045 Member
    Options
    Ginny I was looking for that Kraft Cole slaw dressing but didn't find it at Giant. I wonder if it's a seasonal thing? Where did you find it?

Annie in Delaware
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    Annie-I found it at Meijer's-don't know if they are in Delaware. I have not seen it at Kroger. Looks like Amazon sells it in quantity-like a minimum of a gallon or 4 bottles. A quick google search has it showing up at Walmart.
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,947 Member
    Options
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    I have a question for the cooks and bakers (and anyone else who has an opinion on the topic)! I am getting a new oven/range. Mine is very old and like most things of the sort, the newer models probably have a lot of handy bells and whistles that I'm not aware of. What do you all love and/or hate about your oven/ranges?

What are your repair experiences with which brands?

I find the options a bit overwhelming at the moment.

Thanks in advance!

Tina in CA

I would love to get a new one- we have a GE Profile. The problem with replacing it is there is only one stove that we can get that will fit in that spot without tearing out part of the cabinets(and there aren't enough as it is). That one is way more than double the cost of all the other ones.
    The issue with ours is I can't read the digital display in the front for the temp if it is sunny.
    He ordered a new display, finally finding one available, but, it never came-was an Ebay thing.
    Now, I set the temp to what I think it says, put an oven thermometer in and check the temp that way. The brightness on the numbers for the timer are also getting a bit dimmer but usually I can see them.
    I may just say, that's it, lets get the new one. Maybe that will be the first purchase once my SS starts in the first of next month- will take three or four months of those checks to pay for it(unless the price has gone up since the last time he checked.)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,547 Member
    Options
    Stats for the day-

Walk w/family- 1hr 56min 18sec, 39elev, 3.19ap, 82ahr, 94mhr, 6.25mi= 623c
    Strava app = 766c
    Zwift home spin bike- strava stats- 21.21min, 66elev, 125aw, 44arpm, 20.2amph, 89ahr, 104mhr, gear50, 7.19mi= 147c
    Strava app= 152c
    Zwift stats- 21.23min, 68elev, 124aw, 43arpm, 20.17amph, 7.19mi= 152c
    Housecleaning etc- 1hr 26min 33sec, 78ahr, 138mhr, laundry fold/put away, sweep front entryway and front patio, etc= 417c

Total cal 1187
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,870 Member
    edited March 3
    Options
    drkatiebug wrote: »
    Thanks, Barbie, Lisa and Heather for your remarks about my spiritual journey. What I love best about this group is our diversity, yet ability to respect each other’s choices and paths.

Totally random: I have heard of the so-called chemo perm where women who previously had straight hair, lost it during chemo, then had it grow back curly. Have any of you experienced a sudden curliness to your hair when you haven’t had chemo? My hair used to be totally fine and straight. In my older years, I’ve always worn it in a short bob of some type and would use a round brush and blow dryer to give it volume. One lazy day recently I let it dry naturally and discovered it had gotten quite wavy. My hairdresser gave me a sample of some leave-in cream to scrunch into my wet hair and let it dry naturally. It’s not kinky curly, but it is definitely wavy where it used to be straight. One of my friends said she had heard of Covid doing this. Really? This is the weirdest thing to me. I haven’t decided if I like this look better than my smooth bob, but I am trying it out, especially on days when I’m just staying home.

My hair has progressively become more curly as I age. I've attributed it to humidity because I've moved to more humid locations as I age as well.

As for COVID effects, since I had COVID, I smell garlic a lot and in random places where there really shouldn't be a garlic smell. I'll smell a scented soap up close and yep, it's a scented soap ... with a faint hint of garlic. I like garlic, but I wouldn't mind other scents as well.

M in Oz
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,702 Member
    Options
    I think its the meds im on or after my surgery that my hair started getting wavy..still fine,but its wavy when wet..
    I do miss my gas stove and oven,I grew up with one..and Tom and I had one..but for me everything here is electric..yuck!!
    I put my bed remote through the wash
    ..i put fresh batteries in it but it stays lit up now,and sometimes goes automatically on its own.
    Tracy said she might have to wait until 20 weeks to find out gender because the test that they do earlier costs 1,000 out of pocket.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,918 Member
    Options
    :)Stoves. I grew up with electric stoves so that's what I know. We bought a house once with a gas stove and I put up with it for five months until we were able to schedule the electrician to put in the needed power for an electric stove. I don't cook a lot any more so I don't have the need for as many features but one that I love is "delayed start" I have time in the morning to prepare something for the oven, but don't want it to start cooking for an hour or so and having the delay start allows me to put it in the oven and not worry about remembering to turn it on. Also "cook time" lets me have something in the oven while I work outside and not worry that I'll miss the end time and have it cook too long. We had one stove with a built in oven thermometer that you could stick into the turkey and set the oven to turn off when the oven thermometer reached the correct temperature. It also had a built in rotisserie. I don't do that stuff any more so I don't need the fancy stuff.

:) We had a glorious nap this afternoon to make up for getting up much too early this morning.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,454 Member
    edited March 3
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    February summary: better than January ;}
    Feb average weight 132.5, lighter than Jan by 0.5 lbs
    Average steps 6439, better than Jan’s 5077
    PT, Hebrew, meditation never even started, will drop Hebrew, meditation and focus on PT exercises.
    Dedicated time with Joe, readings, BP, consistent line dance class, dog group, bone broth, vitamins ok. Dropping chair yoga.
    less sugar than mfp allows-303 g. CI<CO-87%
    March plan – better than February.
    Move -average more steps than May (7778), twice weekly line dancing, daily-ish basic PT, play with and walk dogs, every other day 2 sets dumbbells, criss-cross with abs, hip openers, seated twist and block ab lifts.
    Fuel better: less sugar, CI<CO, dailyish vitamins and bone broth.
    Live NOW: dailyish time with Joe, dogs, readings. Open heart and mind before mouth.
    2024: Strengthen: body, mind, heart-connections

Happy Birthday, Vicki!
    Today’s gratitude: Snow!!! Lovely excuse to stay in all day, maybe in nightgown ;).
    Yesterday was a wild ride. First Joe surprised me with a jar opening tool and an electric can opener. Then made the trek north of Gold beach to check out Doggy daycare. Guy is fine, pleasant, kind. Indoor kennels (with outside potty space) look ok but not luxuriously warm. Casserole-a-thon went ok with just Pastor, his wife and me. She left to meet with the “Martha’s” who are standardizing communion setup and let them know it was my birthday. They insisted on taking me out to lunch. Glad I accepted, tho’ it made for a little stress, we do get to talking! Was late picking up the pooches and there was no way I’d be on time for chiro appointment in Harbor. Fortunately chiro’s office was without power and she had to cancel ;}. Then T suggested we postpone my bday beer and vegan nachos as she was almost deluged at Freddie’s, and again, I thankfully agreed. Joe had the woodstove going full force so house was warm and cozy when I got home from Gold Beach. Promptly took a nap. All in all a very good birthday.
    Heather stunning museum! Ah that blood pressure test on ankles and wrist, my MD calls it an ABI test and I hate it. All those mechanical blood pressure testing devices HURT. I always ask nurse to do with old fashioned manual cuff but the ABI test has to be electronic. Yuck. “...action creates momentum” was in a discussion yesterday about no matter how much I/we resent “having” to do X, if we have nothing to do we get blue. Doing X always feels better than the blues.
    Annie what you said about not bashing the other tools. What works for one does not work for all. Added you to the Katla note. Brava for increasing your times!
    Welcome @jgmmk5fdjj Carla from Ohio! That’s quite an id ;)
    Thanks Machka. The ultrasounds I had for clots were much more comfortable than the ABI mechanical cuffs ;)
    Betsy, Evelyn, Carol, Tina, pip, Rebecca, you’re in the Katla note. Thanks!
    Lisa being able to stretch before running to the bathroom, I count that as a win.
    Margaret added your pic to the Katla note. If not ok let me know and I’ll take it out. Are you in MN?
    Kelly you’re in. Is MI your general locale? Well done on the 15 lbs lighter and toned body!
    Rita you’re in. Sorry for the confusion, you’ll find me in your friend’s list as “auntiebk”
    7 months sober? Hooray!!!
    Dia_R conVERY gratulations on being 7 lbs lighter than last month. Sounds like your MD is supportive. :heart:
    Annie Penn Foster didn’t sound like a good investment. Well done for continuing to research. Community college certification and possible grant or scholarship? Well done!!!
    Allie sure hope you can get some help with your sleep, it’s crucial to feeling good enough to move around and do things. sMiles’ smile says it all!
    @linder4866 good to see you pop in. Would you remind me of your (nick)name and general locale?
    Kay, got it, thanks! And thanks for sharing your reflections.
    Dia_R glad Kim and Lisa already replied. Could hear your frustration.
    Rosemarie sounds like you’ve found a good solution to the news situation. Wonder if my library has a subscription to The Economist. ;) Hurrah for feeling better!
    Welcome @javaplace ! Would you let us know what to call you and your general locale?
    Rebecca have I thanked you lately for your soup concoctions? They inspire me.
    Tracey good luck with PowerPoint. Not my fave… What a tragedy for the company and the community ((hugs)).

Carol, Annie, Lanette, Margaret, Rosemarie, Machka, Tracey, et al, thanks all for the bday wishes!
    3/1: Move mins- wii:0 PT:0 d:0 x&a:0 dogs:0 Steps:6677
    Fuel: sugar in vs mfp=0 CI<CO net=686 vits=1
    Live: Joe, readings, BP, ptT, ptS, check out doggy daycare, casserole-a-thon. Wt:132.9

Later, lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    March: Move more than yesterday, fuel better than yesterday, live NOW.
    Open heart and mind before mouth.
    2024: Strengthen: body, mind, heart-connections.

Awe, thanks! Cooking soup really does make me happy. I think what is fun is sauting things in my cast iron pan with either a pat of butter or olive oil, or both! I love those tubes of garlic paste and Italian herbs. It adds that something special. I sometimes boil potatoes cut up small in salted water for a wee bit then put them in. I save the potato water if I need to thicken my soups. I love those pre made ravioli because just a handful just makes a soup a great meal. I have been known to add my cubed potatoes and a handful of ravioli in the same boiling water.... 🙄😁. I usually choose a protein either bits of cooked roast chicken, kielbasa sausage, Sicilian spicy meatballs, beans mostly white. I like buying the fancy Italian pasta, thats a pale yellow. They (the pasta lords) say never buy pasta thats white. Then pick variety of veggies. A staple is sweet yellow onions and go thru a big one each week. (My grandpa would be so proud, he was an onion lover). I try to pick different things. Some of the times my soup becomes just a stew of sorts. Sometimes I add some cornstarch to a cup of milk and add that in at the end. Most of my spices are Old Bay, seasoned pepper, cayenne pepper and of course turmeric. I am glad you like my descriptions!💖🤗
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,824 Member
    Options
    <3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,211 Member
    Options
    Tracey - We watched a programme last night , part of a series, about a cruise of the east coast of Canada. First went to Nova Scotia, to see whales, then up the Lawrence River, to Sept Îles, Saguenay, and Quebec. Bucket list stuff for me.
    Why did you move?

Will talk to John this morning about my hip issues and the cruises. I can hardly believe it's got so bad. :'(

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,870 Member
    Options
    I have not completely caught up for March but am taking lunch to a friend.

Machka: Must have been great hearing Rachmaninov's 3rd Piano Concerto and Also Vivladi's Four Seasons. I got myslf a ticket to the local symphony in April. My town has this 2x a year. So far I am going alone but this could change. I enjoyed reading about all your doings and accomplishments as relates to the Wellness Wheel!

I noted the wheel said creating satisfying relationships......Relationships do come and go even in this small town so I love that this is considered an ongoing process. For Intellectual stimulation I gave in to myself and purchased a digital subscription to The Economist. Sounds a little pompous..but I have had this in the past and it is fairly easy reading. I do not watch much news on tv and do not like a lot of news that tugs at ones emotions constantly. So I put my budget aside and got this again.

I noted you mentioned this is Brain Injury Awareness month. I hope your DH is doing well. He seems to be if he is going to reunions and concerts!

Best,
    Rosemarie from GA

We love going to the symphony! We went quite regularly before my husband's accident, then there was a long gap when he had the accident. About 6 months after his accident we went to our first post-accident symphony. I asked his rehab crew for advice then, and they recommended:

- make sure he has a good nap in the afternoon because he struggles badly with fatigue. He still does, and we have to plan things carefully. Even before going to the symphony this weekend, I made sure he had an afternoon nap.
    - make sure you sit on the end of the row in case he needs to leave, which we did. In the beginning, he would sometimes become completely overwhelmed and would want to leave a place immediately. He's come along so we were able to sit sort of middle-ish because I knew he would be OK sitting through the performance.
    - make sure you get up and walk around during the interval, specifically, walk to somewhere quiet. We've done that each time we have gone because I need that too. I need lots of quiet times. And, of course, we did it again this time. Noise, crowds, etc. make people with brain injuries feel overwhelmed which can dissolve into an outpouring of emotion (crying, anger, etc.). So taking a break is very important.
    - make sure that there's nothing on the next day. Back then, I tried hard to keep "events" down to 1 or 2 a week, even though his rehab crew, and especially his back-to-work coordinator, liked to book all sorts of things into his week. :angry: (I'll come back to this one in a second) If we pack too much into a week, two things happen: he becomes much more emotional and he becomes hyper (like the manic side of manic-depressive).

He doesn't have as dramatic reactions like he did in the beginning, but I still generally follow those recommendations and find that they make the whole thing more enjoyable for both of us.

On packing things into his week ... one particular week in March 2019, almost exactly a year to the day after his accident, his back-to-work coordinator arranged for him to do his driving test to get his driver's licence back. The whole lead up to that was extremely stressful for him and he went into his brain injury/stress-related perseverations so I knew just how stressful it was. And then she demanded he attend a job interview on the Friday ... something else that was extremely stressful. I knew he was over-the-top stressed out and begged her to change the appointment to the following week. She would not budge. On the Saturday, he had a Tonic-Clonic (Grand Mal) seizure which put him in hospital, and 3 days after getting his licence back, he lost it.

His main doctor and his neurologist (and others) told us that he had a higher than average chance of developing seizures because of the location of the brain injury and determined that stress was very likely the thing that pushed him over the edge. Thankfully, his main doctor signed a document giving him a 6-week break from the back to work person.

So yes, he has made an improvement although I think he's more or less plateaued over the past couple years at least. But we've also learned what works, and what once seemed like a massive and unnaturally immense amount of planning before we did anything now seems relatively normal.

Machka in Oz

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Heather - when is your next medical appointment? They really need to give you a thorough workup!
    Your symptoms remind me a little of when I had a herniated disc years ago - L5/S1. I had a lot of pain in my right leg, some numbness. It was treatable with prednisone "packs" and physical therapy - this reduced the inflammation greatly. No surgery. Is there any position where you can sit or lie down that your leg/legs don't hurt? This is just another shot in the dark. Just thinking of how fast it came on. It might be another avenue for you to investigate.

Here's a blurb from Dr. Google: A herniated L5-S1 disc can press and impinge nerves and the spinal cord. This compression can lead to discomfort, aches, and pains in the back, buttocks, hips, thighs, legs feet, or toes. It may also cause numbness, tingling, and weakness in the thighs, legs, knees, ankles, feet, or toes.[/spoiler]

Lanette
    SW WA State