WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2024

Options

Replies

• Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,042 Member
    Options
    Heather I'm sorry you have so much pain and frustration. Hope you can find relief! Lisa's advice seems wise to me, but I have no experience with this sort of thing.

Annie in Delaware
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,860 Member
    Options
    ginnytez wrote: »
    Heather-your symptoms do remind me of my hip issues. The protocol in England seems to be similar to the US. If it is your hips, they may first try cortisone injections and physical therapy. The injections are not painful and helped me greatly. They bought me some time for each hip. There are also other issues (like a torn labrum) that could be at play. I am thinking your cruise is in April? If it is then I hate to tell you I doubt you would be ready for that activity if you hadn't had surgery already. Stairs, etc. will take time. But-if they try injections you may be surprised. There s a website called Bonesmart https://bonesmart.org I was a member for several years but left it because of some personalities. BUT-it has some great information and it used to be based in the UK. I found it very helpful while waiting for surgery-just didn't want it to continue for social connections. Of course-that may have changed if I dropped in again. You may want to check it out for basic information.

I had a torn labrum in my right hip a few years ago. It was incredibly sore and I could hardly stand on my right leg. My physiotherapist sent me for X-rays because she thought I had fractured the hip. Then I went for an MRI and they discovered the torn labrum and early signs of OA.

Fortunately the tear wasn't very bad. I'd likely torn it when I twisted my hip on a run while training for my half marathon. I kept training and a few weeks later, I ran the half marathon (in a lot of pain). Then I tried to keep running with the intention of running another half marathon about a month later ... but my hip was screaming loudly and the leg was giving out on me.

I stopped running and cut way back on walking for months, and finally everything eased.

M in Oz
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    <3
    Betsy in NW WA
  • Dia_R
    Dia_R Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone! I read through all of the replies, but I don’t know y’all well yet, so I won’t reply individually here. I hope y’all have a wonderful Sunday. It’s going to be 70° here, and I’m looking forward to going for a walk with my husband and her dog. Going to put some time into cleaning the house today, because all of my kids will be home Friday evening, With two of their significant others.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,539 Member
    Options
  • javaplace
    javaplace Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have two cruises this year. One at the end of April/May and one in October. My thought is to get the op at the beginning of June, if I went privately. We have committed to looking after the kids for a couple of nights at the very beginning of June while the parents go cycling in France.
    I could cancel this next cruise, get my money back on medical grounds and book a private op as soon as possible. Or, I could go on the next cruise, but treat myself as a 90 Yr old, of which there are plenty on the ship. There are many walker assisted people and even wheelchair passengers. I would have to tell Saga what degree of assistance I needed. The excursions are graded according to your fitness. I would be sad not to go round the museum, but I could probably book a wheelchair.
    I will make all these decisions when I have test results. My preference is to get it over with, but the cortisone injections might see me through the cruise. My friend L, who had both hips replaced, was surviving on Tramadol! :#
    I would really like a diagnosis, so I know which way to go. There is no perfect decision.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx grateful for all your care and concern.

Just my 2 cents. It’s about your quality of your life, everyday. I would do what is needed to be healthy and pain free. So I could enjoy the rest of my life.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    April - if you are reading, please know I think of you every day. Hope your son is settling into the new facility well. <3

Sue - ouch! Glad you weren't hurt. I remember when you met Katla - one of you posted a photo. I'm going to try to find it.

Annie - good job on your bike and walking. Smart thinking to recognize your dad's eventual health outcomes and the various scenarios you and your sis may encounter.

Rita - thanks for being our squats cheerleader! :p

Kelly - I meant to comment on the great job you are doing with the squats. Wow! Also your egg carton space ship turned out great, how neat that little gal came out of her shell.

Flea - hope your DH is having a good time diving into his new job.

Lisa - love it that Corey likes to keep busy. When my DH's health was good, he was the same way. I still look around here and I'm amazed at all of the neat things and positive changes he did "just to keep busy."

Michele - have a safe drive back to NC. Glad your leg has finally stopped oozing. Was that $13K assessment expected or did Vince think it would be more or less?

Heather - So glad you are in the medical pipeline now. Hope they can determine what's happening and treatment quickly. Lots of voices of experience in this group. <3:p Nice photo of Edie and Max - what gorgeous countryside.

I need to get started today on my foot problem "narrative" for Dr. D tomorrow. I've been through this drill so many times - where does it hurt, when did it start, what are you doing for it, etc. So I pre-answer those questions. Easy to walk in and hand the nurse a sheet of paper the doc can review before he even sees me.

We have a couple inches of wet snow here right now, temp 32F but it will turn to rain. Tree limbs sagging under the weight of snow but it doesn't look like any power outages. Still, glad I got my running around done yesterday.

**Reminder about tomorrow's weekly check-in, please get your info to me by noon tomorrow.

Lanette B)
    SW WA State
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,839 Member
    Options
    ginnytez wrote: »
    Heather-your symptoms do remind me of my hip issues. The protocol in England seems to be similar to the US. If it is your hips, they may first try cortisone injections and physical therapy. The injections are not painful and helped me greatly. They bought me some time for each hip. There are also other issues (like a torn labrum) that could be at play. I am thinking your cruise is in April? If it is then I hate to tell you I doubt you would be ready for that activity if you hadn't had surgery already. Stairs, etc. will take time. But-if they try injections you may be surprised. There s a website called Bonesmart https://bonesmart.org I was a member for several years but left it because of some personalities. BUT-it has some great information and it used to be based in the UK. I found it very helpful while waiting for surgery-just didn't want it to continue for social connections. Of course-that may have changed if I dropped in again. You may want to check it out for basic information.

Heather Have you ever considered Bursitis? I had that and it affected both my thighs from knees up to my hips. I kept thinking it was my hips and arthritis, but turned out to be Bursitis. Looked up exercises for that, which I did and took a while but finally went away. I do have arthritis in my hips, but this incident was so bad, I could hardly walk and stairs about killed me. Just a thought……

RVRita
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,341 Member
    Options
    Lanette – we really didn’t have any idea how much the assessment would be. I guess I was thinking more on the lines of $5-6,000. But the engineer said the total would be around $2,000,000 so dividing that among all the condos comes to about $13,000 for each one. Of course, that's just an estimate. There will most likely be added expenses once they start to repair the seawall. It wouldn’t be so high if they’d done it right the first time. It just worries me that for some people here that is going to be a real big hit financially. Hope they can work out something with a no interest loan. We can probably scrape up the $13,000, not that we’d like to, but some people probably don’t have that ability.

That callous on the bottom of my foot is still hurting when I walk, although I do walk (yesterday got in 27000 steps. Been stretching my calves to beat the band. Can’t wait for this to go away. Also using a pumice stone.

Michele NC
    who needs to leave to meet her friend for lunch
  • SophieRosieMom
    edited March 3
    Options
    And now for a little change of pace. This has been my earworm for the past couple days. If Bradley Cooper wants to show up for a bit of lunch, I'm all for it. :p

Lady Gaga has some lung power! Turn up the volume!

Think I need to see "A Star is Born." ;)

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

PS - language warning, there are a few F-bombs in the dialogue before and after the song.
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,449 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Today’s gratitude: vimeo so can observe church services without venturing out onto the snowy, icy, windy road.
    Tina, appliances seem to be “disposable” nowadays. Unlike Lisa’s, our Samsung gas range from Sears with an extended warranty was a VERY bad experience. 2 month lead time for warranty repair guy appointment so paid for local repair guy to come, but alas, wrong part sent at first. Many frustrating phone conversations to get right part. Long time to be without a functioning oven. Appliance repair guy cautioned against LG too, hard for independent repair people to get parts. Consumer Reports gives the GE Profile double fuel (gas cooktop, electric oven) single oven models PGS930YPFS and JGSS66EELES and double ovens PGS960YPFS and PGS965YPFS the best predicted reliability scores. Isn’t California in the process of banning gas stoves? IMHO the more bells and whistles, the more parts to break. Good luck!!!
    Debbie your problem with the temperature display is the same as the one at our church’s youth building. Repair guy told them replacing the display “board” would cost $$$$ as much as a new range. :{
    Sue added you to the Katla note.
    Rebecca inspired by you just added some TJ’s sofrito to my pantry purge minestrone. Yum!
    Tracey :love: your conversation with Lauryn. Brave of you to ask, brave of her to answer. ((hugs))
    Heather shocking how quickly your pain has gotten worse. What Lisa said about your exercise making recovery faster/better. ((hugs)).
    32 Move mins- wii:0 PT:0 d:0 x&a:0 dogs:0 Jeopardy walking:91 Steps: 6813
    Fuel: sugar in vs mfp=-2 CI<CO net=328 vits=1
    Live: Joe, readings, BP, AF, ptT, ptS, 19 mins grooming Tumble, Wt:133.2
    Lazy, pajama day today yet managed to Jeopardy walk a few more steps than yesterday.
    Later, lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    March: Move more than yesterday, fuel better than yesterday, live NOW.
    Open heart and mind before mouth.
    2024: Strengthen: body, mind, heart-connections.

I looked up Sofrito. Interesting! I suppose if I added carrot, cilantro, celery , and olive oil to my beginning "go to" mixture of onion, garlic paste and mushroom it would be sofrito-ish. I have to admit I am not a fan of cilantro, then there's that pesky habit I like to do of picking out mushrooms that are cooking in the butter. 😁
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • SophieRosieMom
    edited March 3
    Options
    Rita <3 Happy 68th!!! <3 Have a nice meal a the Texas Roadhouse. :p

Michele - I'm afraid some of my neighbors on my little private road are going to take a hit when we have it re-paved. I'm guessing it will be between $5,000 and $10,000. Each. From $30 to $50 K total. A couple of them had trouble coming up with $500 last year to have the collapsed culvert replaced.

Lanette B)