No, MFP, I am not walking a dog...

Options
124»

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    But seriously though...If you have a fitbit you should just let it log anything step based (it adjusts for intensity) and turn off the mapmyfitness app

Even for runs? I do like the mapping features of the MapMyFitness.

Even for runs.

You can use the Fitbit app to map your run (just like you would MapMyFitness) or they have a GPS watch as well. (Although, I think Garmin would be a better bet if you are looking for GPS watches)
  • melodyis4reals
    melodyis4reals Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    It's a yo-yo trick!
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    It says "Walking, 3.0 mph, mod. pace, walking dog" which I suppose could be read as "similar to walking a dog." My first reading of it is as if it is a note clarifying that "On this particular walk, I was walking a dog."

I know this isn't some kind of catastrophic issue, but it is an annoying inaccuracy. On a site and on a forum where people are trying to be accurate down to the last gram and calorie in their food, and also trying to track their exercise output correctly, I don't think it's strange for me to want my exercise diary to be labeled correctly. After all, I use this service to track my exercise, not to count calories.

LOL, this bugs the **** out of me, too!
  • raywoodson
    raywoodson Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It's now 2018 and this persists... It bugs the crap out of me as well.
  • keiosthiori
    keiosthiori Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    For some reason when I track my walks through MapMyFitness and it syncs with MFP, my walks get tracked with the comment that I'm walking a dog. I don't have a dog, I have not selected any options through either app that should suggest I am walking a dog.

Is there any way I can convince MFP that I am just walking, sans canine?

Probably more calories burned than walking a cat.

Pretty sure that counts as resistance training...
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    You know... if you want to be completely accurate with your tracking you should probably get a dog 😉
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    Walk faster then you won't get this entry. :)
    Or as said above just get a dog
    I loke this entry when I see it on friends walls because we can make jokes about how tired the poor mfp dog must be. I guess joking isn't for everyone though
  • lyndsay692
    lyndsay692 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem-when Google tracks my run, MFP tells me I am pushing a buggy and you can't change it. It is dispiriting.
  • warrenbobtaylor
    warrenbobtaylor Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    2024 and I’m still walking a dog lol
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    When I actually walk my dog, my watch says I'm on an elliptical, I suppose because of the constant starting and stopping and frequent changes of pace. I have no idea how to change that.