Calorie counting and protein goal

Options
FitnessFreak1821
FitnessFreak1821 Posts: 242 Member
edited March 11 in Food and Nutrition
So some nights I am really hungry and end up eating late. What I do is put it on my log for the next day if I absolutely have to eat. Does anyone do this? I am assuming if I do this, and eat less the next day it shouldn't put me in a surplus correct?

Also for protein goal, online calculator says 71g-127g. To lose fat and build muscle can i go between this range or should I aim for 127 g evey day? I am finding it super hard hitting protein goal and staying in a deficit..

Thanks

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I want to first make sure your deficit is in line with the amount of weight you need to lose:

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg

If you are really hungry at night, that could be an indicator that you are not eating enough during the day. You are correct that it does not matter when you log it - just logging it is the key.

Here's a reputable protein calculator:

https://examine.com/nutrition/protein-intake-calculator/

I shoot for 500 calories of exercise per day, and when I achieve that, using the MFP default of 20% protein aligns with the protein grams recommendation from Examine. If I were completely sedentary, I'd need to bump it up.
  • FitnessFreak1821
    edited March 11
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I want to first make sure your deficit is in line with the amount of weight you need to lose:

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg

If you are really hungry at night, that could be an indicator that you are not eating enough during the day. You are correct that it does not matter when you log it - just logging it is the key.

I shoot for 500 calories of exercise per day, and when I achieve that, using the MFP default of 20% protein aligns with the protein grams recommendation from Examine. If I were completely sedentary, I'd need to bump it up.

I'm definitely not getting enough protein, I get 50g to 100g but as for calories I eat between my bmr(nothing lower ) and my maintenance for current weight I'm at and activity for the week(I know it always changing as you drop weight).

I'm just really confused on protein part and I know I definitely need to eat more of that so I can see the muscle I want and not lose it and feel less hungry at night.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,100 Member
    Options
    When it comes to increasing protein intake, my suggestion would be to look at is as a thing you do gradually by tweaking your routine eating habits - the eating patterns you repeat over and over. Protein is important, but you can work at moving it up in ways you can keep up long term almost on autopilot rather than having it be a daily struggle.

As a transition aid, you could consider using protein powder or bars until you can get more protein from regular food. (Admitted personal bias: I think it's better to get nutrients from food rather than supplements, if possible. That's why I said "transition aid" rather than "solution". Some people do use supplements long term. If you don't have reasons to avoid dairy, whey protein is among the more bioavailable and neutral-tasting options.)

Many of us have found this thread helpful for identifying calorie-efficient food protein sources:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

In addition to getting one big protein source per meal, you might also consider getting small bits of protein from other foods you eat alongside the mains. There are grains (and breads) with more protein than others, veggies with protein, beverages with protein, even flavorings and a few fruits with some protein. Those small bits through the day can add up to a meaningful contribution. While some of these may be less complete (in essential amino acids, EAAs) or bioavailable, varying them through the day can compensate for that somewhat.

How much protein you eat has little to do with fat loss (minor contribution from thermic effect of food, TEF). Fat loss is directly about calories. Nutrition may affect fat loss indirectly through fatigue (move less) or appetite (can't stick to calorie goal), but calories are still the direct mechanism.

Yes, you do need protein to build muscle (or to avoid losing unnecessarily much lean tissue alongside fat loss). If you get a goal from the calculator kshama linked, it will provide a range, and describe the lower value as "optimal" and the higher value as "may provide additional benefit, based on limited evidence". I think that would answer your question about whether you need to hit the top end every day? Personally, I'd make the lower boundary a minimum goal, and try to exceed it.

If you're not at the minimum end of the range yet, that's where to consider chipping away at revising eating habits, maybe use a supplement in the short run if way under.

If you haven't the guide linked from that calculator (https://examine.com/guides/protein-intake/) may give additional insight. Among other things in that guide, I'd point out that they say it's OK to use a reasonable goal weight to calculate protein needs if currently materially overweight. Protein is for maintaining our lean tissue: We don't need lots more of it to maintain our fat mass in a healthy state.

Do consider kshama's point about whether you're trying to lose weight faster than reasonable: There's no feeling full or getting adequate nutrition on woefully low calories. Furthermore, muscle mass may suffer more from fast loss.

Beyond that, it's normal to feel hungry in the first couple of weeks of a new, reduced calorie eating routine. That's more about accustoming the body to new habits. Beyond that, satiation tends to be very individual. Some people are sated by protein, others by fats, some by high volume (such as low-calorie veggies), some by specific foods (potatoes and oatmeal are common but not universal), and more. Some people find reducing carb intake to reduce appetite, but that's not universal either. Many people find so-called whole foods more filling than ultra-processed foods.

Even eating timing can affect satiety. People here report doing best on anything from one meal per day (OMAD) to all-day grazing on small portions, and everything in between. If you pay attention to how you feel - times when you're more crave-y or less - you may be able to suss out changes you can make to feel more full more often.

The appetite triggers aren't even necessarily about food intake: Sleep quality/quantity, habitual triggers (example: eating while watching TV), boredom, emotional or stress issues, types/timing of exercise . . . all of those can affect satiety, too.

If you use your diary and personal insights, apply a little canny detective work, I'm betting you can find some solutions.

Best wishes!
  • FitnessFreak1821
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    When it comes to increasing protein intake, my suggestion would be to look at is as a thing you do gradually by tweaking your routine eating habits - the eating patterns you repeat over and over. Protein is important, but you can work at moving it up in ways you can keep up long term almost on autopilot rather than having it be a daily struggle.

As a transition aid, you could consider using protein powder or bars until you can get more protein from regular food. (Admitted personal bias: I think it's better to get nutrients from food rather than supplements, if possible. That's why I said "transition aid" rather than "solution". Some people do use supplements long term. If you don't have reasons to avoid dairy, whey protein is among the more bioavailable and neutral-tasting options.)

Many of us have found this thread helpful for identifying calorie-efficient food protein sources:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

In addition to getting one big protein source per meal, you might also consider getting small bits of protein from other foods you eat alongside the mains. There are grains (and breads) with more protein than others, veggies with protein, beverages with protein, even flavorings and a few fruits with some protein. Those small bits through the day can add up to a meaningful contribution. While some of these may be less complete (in essential amino acids, EAAs) or bioavailable, varying them through the day can compensate for that somewhat.

How much protein you eat has little to do with fat loss (minor contribution from thermic effect of food, TEF). Fat loss is directly about calories. Nutrition may affect fat loss indirectly through fatigue (move less) or appetite (can't stick to calorie goal), but calories are still the direct mechanism.

Yes, you do need protein to build muscle (or to avoid losing unnecessarily much lean tissue alongside fat loss). If you get a goal from the calculator kshama linked, it will provide a range, and describe the lower value as "optimal" and the higher value as "may provide additional benefit, based on limited evidence". I think that would answer your question about whether you need to hit the top end every day? Personally, I'd make the lower boundary a minimum goal, and try to exceed it.

If you're not at the minimum end of the range yet, that's where to consider chipping away at revising eating habits, maybe use a supplement in the short run if way under.

If you haven't the guide linked from that calculator (https://examine.com/guides/protein-intake/) may give additional insight. Among other things in that guide, I'd point out that they say it's OK to use a reasonable goal weight to calculate protein needs if currently materially overweight. Protein is for maintaining our lean tissue: We don't need lots more of it to maintain our fat mass in a healthy state.

Do consider kshama's point about whether you're trying to lose weight faster than reasonable: There's no feeling full or getting adequate nutrition on woefully low calories. Furthermore, muscle mass may suffer more from fast loss.

Beyond that, it's normal to feel hungry in the first couple of weeks of a new, reduced calorie eating routine. That's more about accustoming the body to new habits. Beyond that, satiation tends to be very individual. Some people are sated by protein, others by fats, some by high volume (such as low-calorie veggies), some by specific foods (potatoes and oatmeal are common but not universal), and more. Some people find reducing carb intake to reduce appetite, but that's not universal either. Many people find so-called whole foods more filling than ultra-processed foods.

Even eating timing can affect satiety. People here report doing best on anything from one meal per day (OMAD) to all-day grazing on small portions, and everything in between. If you pay attention to how you feel - times when you're more crave-y or less - you may be able to suss out changes you can make to feel more full more often.

The appetite triggers aren't even necessarily about food intake: Sleep quality/quantity, habitual triggers (example: eating while watching TV), boredom, emotional or stress issues, types/timing of exercise . . . all of those can affect satiety, too.

If you use your diary and personal insights, apply a little canny detective work, I'm betting you can find some solutions.

Best wishes!

Thank you very helpful
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,987 Member
    Options
    Re the first part of your question - if this is only happening some days and you eat less the next day and are not hungry that night too - then I would suggest setting your calorie intake as a weekly intake - then you don't have to do logging convolutions, just log it when you ate it and as long as the daily average is what you want, it will still work - ie you will still be in a deficit and lose weight.
  • FitnessFreak1821
    Options
    Re the first part of your question - if this is only happening some days and you eat less the next day and are not hungry that night too - then I would suggest setting your calorie intake as a weekly intake - then you don't have to do logging convolutions, just log it when you ate it and as long as the daily average is what you want, it will still work - ie you will still be in a deficit and lose weight.

Oh ok, you can do weekly calorie intake on MFP? 🤔
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,100 Member
    Options

Oh ok, you can do weekly calorie intake on MFP? 🤔

In the phone/tablet app version of MFP, in the Nutrition menu (under More on the dashboard) you can switch the calories tab to a weekly view. That'll show average daily calories, either gross or net.
  • ISokol1
    ISokol1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    A fitness coach told me to eat 1.5g of protein per every kg of your weight and to make sure your every meal includes protein, basically, each meal has to be mostly protein and veggies. I have no issues hitting daily protein goals and staying within the allotted calorie budget. My breakfast is 6 chicken sausage links and 2 eggs. Lunch is chicken, either meatballs made with almond flour instead of bread crumbs, or chicken cutlet, always veggies as a side dish, dinner is shrimp or fish, with a large salad. Snack-cheese or a bit of nuts.
  • FitnessFreak1821
    Options
    ISokol1 wrote: »
    A fitness coach told me to eat 1.5g of protein per every kg of your weight and to make sure your every meal includes protein, basically, each meal has to be mostly protein and veggies. I have no issues hitting daily protein goals and staying within the allotted calorie budget. My breakfast is 6 chicken sausage links and 2 eggs. Lunch is chicken, either meatballs made with almond flour instead of bread crumbs, or chicken cutlet, always veggies as a side dish, dinner is shrimp or fish, with a large salad. Snack-cheese or a bit of nuts.

Thanks 🙂 I definitely need to figure out the protein part. Doesn't help either that the cost of everything has increased so much.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    ISokol1 wrote: »

"Each meal has to be mostly protein and veggies" for what? To lose weight? Gain/retain muscle? Not true. This addresses the weight loss aspect:

bn14soyzrh7d.png

If your goal is to reach ketosis, depending on the veggies, that should work. However, ketosis is not necessary for weight loss (see above.)
  • kshama2001
    edited March 14
    Options
    So some nights I am really hungry and end up eating late. What I do is put it on my log for the next day if I absolutely have to eat. Does anyone do this? I am assuming if I do this, and eat less the next day it shouldn't put me in a surplus correct?

Also for protein goal, online calculator says 71g-127g. To lose fat and build muscle can i go between this range or should I aim for 127 g evey day? I am finding it super hard hitting protein goal and staying in a deficit..

Thanks
    kshama2001 wrote: »

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg

I'm definitely not getting enough protein, I get 50g to 100g but as for calories I eat between my bmr(nothing lower ) and my maintenance for current weight I'm at and activity for the week(I know it always changing as you drop weight).

I'm just really confused on protein part and I know I definitely need to eat more of that so I can see the muscle I want and not lose it and feel less hungry at night.

You're on MFP. Why not keep it simple and use MFP for your calorie and protein goals? If you're sedentary, bump protein up to 30% and take 10% from carbs.

When you set your goals here, how many calories and grams of protein do you get? https://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change-goals-guided or More > Goals in app

See the link Ann gave above for sources of protein and her post for tips on getting in more protein.