Why the crap are there still no Salt and Unsaturated Input Fields in MyFitnessPal???

Options
oushima
oushima Posts: 4 Member
edited March 15 in Health and Weight Loss
It's 2024 and I still cannot add my Salt contents and Unsaturated Fats contents in MyFitnessPal. How? These are basic things.
Fix this ASAP!!! :|

Unsaturated Fat != Polyunsaturared Fat
Unsaturated Fat != Monounsaturated
Unsaturated Fat != Trans Fat

There is no way to figure out poly and mono if there's only unsaturated available to go off of! Yeah, you can devide it evenly, that data is not necessarily meaningful or accurate. Why do I need to leave it empty? Add this field!

Salt !== Sodium. Yeah, you can do "salt \ 2.5 = sodium", but who wants to do that every time? Wtf.

ain't nobody paying for a sub until this basic functionality is added.

@MyFitnessPal

Answers

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,604 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    With regards to salt: Whether salt or sodium is listed on food labels depends on the country. In all European countries I've ever lived it's salt. In the US it mainly seems to be sodium, and as MFP is largely a US website I guess it kind of makes sense. Though results in some seriously wrong database entries here and there.

unsaturated fats don't have any negative health implications. And again, these are not listed on food labels in most countries. If it's not on food labels there where should this info come from?

Agree with Yirara, there are some nutrients it's just not worth their time to include due to lack of info on packaging and variance among countries.
  • oushima
    edited March 15
    Options
    the end user decides for themselves what is important or not. i never said unsaturated fat had any health implications. if i want to track it, i can't because myfitnesspal doesn't have a field for it. they automatically assume that it is split in poly and mono. which is not the case.

sodium is NOT salt. this is causing inconsistency in data. people will enter salt values in the sodium input field. not knowing the difference. and who wants to calculate backwards for salt to sodium every time they add new items? nobody.

for a company like myfitnesspal this shouldn't even take more than 2 hours to integrate. its ridiculous. what do you mean not worth their time? there are 741,835,368 europeans on this planet. the whole world doesn't revolve around america. aside from europeans there are definitely more people that use salt and unsaturated fat for measurements on packaging. my country uses unsaturated fat as a whole, not poly and mono. belgium, netherlands, germany, etc. all use this.

they need to add that asap. its not like they have to reinvent the wheel.
    either that or i need an option where i can add my own fields so each user can customize it to their own needs.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    With your unsaturated fats: in which country is this information available on food labels? I just checked random products in the US and UK, for example McCain fries, Netherlands and Germany (other oven fries), and it's not there. So why should information that is not available on nutritional labels be available to be entered?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited March 15
    Options
    oushima wrote: »
    the end user decides for themselves what is important or not. i never said unsaturated fat had any health implications. if i want to track it, i can't because myfitnesspal doesn't have a field for it. they automatically assume that it is split in poly and mono. which is not the case.

sodium is NOT salt. this is causing inconsistency in data. people will enter salt values in the sodium input field. not knowing the difference. and who wants to calculate backwards for salt to sodium every time they add new items? nobody.

for a company like myfitnesspal this shouldn't even take more than 2 hours to integrate. its ridiculous. what do you mean not worth their time? there are 741,835,368 europeans on this planet. the whole world doesn't revolve around america. aside from europeans there are definitely more people that use salt and unsaturated fat for measurements on packaging. my country uses unsaturated fat as a whole, not poly and mono. belgium, netherlands, germany, etc. all use this.

they need to add that asap. its not like they have to reinvent the wheel.
    either that or i need an option where i can add my own fields so each user can customize it to their own needs.

This crowd-sourced database is inaccurate enough as it is, while only using the nutritional label from ONE country. When I was anemic, I looked at the iron values. For USER-CREATED entries, they were invariably wrong. Iron is supposed to be entered as a percentage, but was often entered as a g, or left out, or a number that did not align with either a % or g. I dealt with it.

In the US, monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats are only REQUIRED to be listed under certain conditions. So, some manufacturers list it and some don't.
    https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/interactivenutritionfactslabel/assets/InteractiveNFL_MUFA&PUFA_October2021.pdf

b56uw79o84m2.png

MFP does allow users to capture the data for monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats. It doesn't do "Unsaturated" because the FDA does not require this. It would make no sense for MFP to combine all the food labels from all the countries in the world:

ya2xfa3cehcf.png
    Based on my experience with iron entries, I'd verify the data ever single time and be prepared to edit it.

I've never used it, but you may find what you seek on Chron.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Deleted.

Darn it, I was too late :lol:

I shared your confusion but eventually also figured out that she wanted a field for "unsaturated" and was not satisfied by the current availability of fields for monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,112 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Deleted.

Darn it, I was too late :lol:

I shared your confusion but eventually also figured out that she wanted a field for "unsaturated" and was not satisfied by the current availability of fields for monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats.

Yes, because many labels only indicate the amount of unsaturated fats without the poly/mono split.

Frankly, I agree with OP that MFP is too US centric. Salt and total unsaturated fats would be great additions to the data fields.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,619 Member
    edited March 15
    Options
    MFP ate my homework and my previous message looks like it didn't post.

In the last few years I've switched from MFP to the other service that has been mentioned in this thread, the one that offers the cleanest databases short of medical grade software which I assume must exist.... because even that service is not THAT clean.

Why? Because if nothing else the problem is created by manufacturers, changing formulations, having to follow different national requirements, and creating random labels to fullfil whatever business requirement the label makers are pursuing at the time

Both MFP and the other services already mentioned allow one to create and exclusively use their own entries if they so wish.

While not all nutrient sources are freely available, one can use many of them royalty free for their non commercial personal use and if they are database or spreadsheet power users it could well be a weekend project for them to create their own copy if they so wish.

For the rest of us the apps seem to work well enough to get the results we want within the limits that they have.

Food data central is the current way to access the cleanest current data--sadly in my opinion based on insufficiently validated manufacturer submissions.

A search for the 2015 Canadian nutrients file will lead to a government of Canada page with instructions on how to download and create your own database--thanks to the generosity of your friends the Canadian taxpayers.

There is a link on the same page to a compilation of worldwide food nutrient information resources. As of 2024 many of the links still work, but many have, unfortunately, moved to the big internet graveyard in the sky.
  • oushima
    edited March 15
    Options
    With your unsaturated fats: in which country is this information available on food labels? I just checked random products in the US and UK, for example McCain fries, Netherlands and Germany (other oven fries), and it's not there. So why should information that is not available on nutritional labels be available to be entered?

all of europe uses unstaturated fat and salt on packaging.
    E.g. AH (a dutch supermarket with 21,000+ products, uses it for all items): https://www.ah.nl/producten/product/wi112335/ah-witte-bollen

And there are more. what you did doesn't even make sense because that is an american product "McCain fries".

it doesn't matter that the USA uses poly and mono, i need unsaturated. it's not that deep. or an option to add my own input fields. nobody is using the public myfitnesspal database for food, it's wack. all bloated and unverified food values.
  • oushima
    edited March 15
    Options
    all they need to do is add an option for unsaturated fat and salt. and if not that, the option to let users create their own input fields. it is not hard to implement at all. this app is sold in europe. we use salt and unsaturated fat on packaging. i don't care how they implement it, as long as i can add it somehow in a normal way.

i have no option to add poly and mono. because my country uses unsaturated. same for salt. we don't always use sodium, sometimes we use salt on packaging.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,604 Member
    Options
    all they need to do is add an option for unsaturated fat and salt. and if not that, the option to let users create their own input fields. it is not hard to implement at all. this app is sold in europe. we use salt and unsaturated fat on packaging. i don't care how they implement it, as long as i can add it somehow in a normal way.

i have no option to add poly and mono. because my country uses unsaturated. same for salt. we don't always use sodium, sometimes we use salt on packaging.

I understand your frustration, but at the end of the day they're just not going to care. At all. They don't read these comments. Even if they did, they don't care to change it. No-one in this comment section can help you. Unfortunately.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,619 Member
    edited March 15
    Options
    I'm still confused as to where the main problem lies other than the part where all of us believe that the database could be cleaner.

Options I see for @oushima

Log elsewhere. TBH I think you will only see incremental improvements, IF THAT, as what you find elsewhere will STILL not be EXACTLY what you want. Not only do values and labels change by country they also change over time. AND the producers change formulations, reuse packaging and mess around with values to suit their marketing.

If your packaging has a single value for unsaturated and monounsaturated then you actually have no information as to which is which. So what does it matter if you distribute it 50-50? The total is the same. Or you can use one of the slots and put 100% in there.

Trans fats eaten should be zero and, I, at least am unlikely to have more than the occasional gram. It is essentially a useless entry, at least for me. If I were doing my own entries I could easily use it for something of interest to me.

Are Vitamin A or C or Calcium a real concern? Is cholesterol? Any of these slots could be re-purposed to enter a value you're interested in tracking. Just don't make your entries public!

Or.... create your own database to track with:

All Food data central datasets can be downloaded: https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/download-datasets.html
    Canadian nutrient file download: https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/food-nutrition/healthy-eating/nutrient-data/canadian-nutrient-file-2015-download-files.html

Big page with many valid and many invalid links: http://www.langual.org/langual_linkcategory.asp?CategoryID=4&Category=Food Composition
  • Lietchi
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »

I understand your frustration, but at the end of the day they're just not going to care. At all. They don't read these comments. Even if they did, they don't care to change it. No-one in this comment section can help you. Unfortunately.

Better likelihood here: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/categories/feature-suggestions-and-ideas
    But yeah, I wouldn't hold my breath, sorry to say.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,307 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

all of europe uses unstaturated fat and salt on packaging.
    E.g. AH (a dutch supermarket with 21,000+ products, uses it for all items): https://www.ah.nl/producten/product/wi112335/ah-witte-bollen

And there are more. what you did doesn't even make sense because that is an american product "McCain fries".

it doesn't matter that the USA uses poly and mono, i need unsaturated. it's not that deep. or an option to add my own input fields. nobody is using the public myfitnesspal database for food, it's wack. all bloated and unverified food values.

False. All we need is n=1 using it, and I'm using it. I check the entries when I first use them, with respect to the values I care about, then the ones I use routinely are in frequent/recent foods, all nice and clean. It isn't difficult. I suspect quite a few people use it, possibly in a similar manner.

I'm not arguing that you shouldn't want what you want, or that MFP shouldn't provide it. Hyperbolic (false) statements aren't helping you make your case, nor the fact that you're complaining to other MFP users who can't do anything about it at all.

Lietchi mentioned where to post if you want to talk to MFP staff about it.

Can confirm.
    I also use the MFP public food database.

For me, close enough is fine.

• Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,914 Member
    edited March 16
    Options
    I really don't understand. If unsaturated fat = polyunsaturated fat + monounsaturated fat + Trans fat, then total fat - saturated fat = unsaturated fat, doesn't it? What am I missing?
    What is the advantage of knowing your unsaturated fat? Does someone's food pyramid (or whatever they use) have a recommendation for unsaturated fat? And if so, does it really include Trans fat with unsaturated fat? Just curious.
  • Lietchi
    Options
    Corina1143 wrote: »
    I really don't understand. If unsaturated fat = polyunsaturated fat + monounsaturated fat + Trans fat, then total fat - saturated fat = unsaturated fat,

It would be much easier if we could enter the unsaturated total directly instead of having to do mental math each time we want to evaluate our unsaturated fat intake.

Similar with same versus sodium: labels state salt over here.
    Yes, we can convert, but it's not handy and many people enter the salt value instead of the sodium value, so we need to get out a calculator/use a converter each time we want to create or correct an entry.

Does it make the app unable? No. But not as user friendly for Europeans.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,914 Member
    edited March 17
    Options
    Thanks! I understood about the salt vs. Sodium, and I agree that would be a problem.
    Now I understand the fat problem.
    But I still don't understand why it's important.
    Potassium is important to me, but I understand it's not for the average Joe on the street. For most people, it's not a concern.