Lunch time meetings

Options
jadu1536
jadu1536 Posts: 112 Member
edited March 8 in Health and Weight Loss
It's almost 3 pm, and I have had so many meetings that I haven't had any time to eat dinner. I do wish I had time to eat lunch. I plan to eat at 3:00 pm - I have a break then!
Rice, lentils and greek yogurt. Yum! IF you are reading this - what are you having for lunch today?

Replies

• Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,914 Member
    Options
    Chicken and wild rice soup. Bourbon honey mustard salad. Yum!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    jadu1536 wrote: »
    It's almost 3 pm, and I have had so many meetings that I haven't had any time to eat dinner. I do wish I had time to eat lunch. I plan to eat at 3:00 pm - I have a break then!
    Rice, lentils and greek yogurt. Yum! IF you are reading this - what are you having for lunch today?

Are you overscheduled like this every day or just the day you wrote it? If it happens often, I have some thoughts about that.

I had a turkey club sandwich today.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,102 Member
    Options
    I share kshama's curiosity about whether you're finding it to be a repeating thing that you don't get to eat lunch.

When I had one of those annoying job-thingies (pre-retirement), we did sometimes have lunch meetings. When we did, it was absolutely acceptable to eat lunch during the meeting. Frankly, if jobs have lunch meetings where eating isn't allowed, I think that's punitive. (In some situations, it may even be illegal . . . .)

Sometimes the lunch meetings were catered. If they were at the work location, it was considered OK to pass up the catered food and eat one's own brought-from-home lunch. If there was any question, "my doctor has me on a special routine" would for sure shut down any comment, but mostly it was just accepted.

Yeah, it was harder at a restaurant. If ordering off the menu, usually there was some option, with the usual possibilities like asking the server if one could get a simple salad or a plate of just veggie sides or something like that. If it was pre-ordered, I admit I had an extra card to play: I'm vegetarian, so I'd ask in advance for there to be a vegetarian option. No one ever fussed if I did that. (That option wasn't always low-calorie, I admit.)

For sure, if I chose to work through the lunch time, I could eat at my desk. In case I didn't bring a lunch, I usually kept some reasonably filling/nutritious shelf-stable snacks in my desk to eat while I worked. I admit, sometimes it was challenging to find the right balance of enjoyability with not being so tempting I'd overdo snacking on them, but it worked.

Lunch today? I got up late, haven't had any yet. Yesterday, eggs fried in very little oil, with lots of veggies (spinach, tomatoes, onions, orange bell pepper) plus some calorie-efficient cheese, and a kiwi fruit.

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,207 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    When I had one of those annoying job-thingies (pre-retirement), we did sometimes have lunch meetings. When we did, it was absolutely acceptable to eat lunch during the meeting. Frankly, if jobs have lunch meetings where eating isn't allowed, I think that's punitive. (In some situations, it may even be illegal . . . .)

Yes; illegal many places. If it's a "lunch meeting," then people should eat lunch! However, in the state where I live, you must be provided a minimum of 30 minutes break for a meal if you work at least six hours. Your meal period does not have to be compensated (paid), but you must be FREE FROM WORK. If I had a meal period (most people in my office took an hour lunch, but some of the crews just had a half hour), and I was 56 minutes into my meal period and my boss came over and asked me a work question, I would not only be allowed to restart my meal period, but the employer would be in violation of labor law if they didn't make sure I started it over again. The same relief from work is required for short breaks, which are required for each four hour work period. Those short breaks are paid, as that's federal law.

There is no federal requirement for breaks, but many states to require them. The federal requirement is that short breaks (20 minutes or less) are paid, but meal breaks (30 minutes or more) may or may not be paid if offered.

People in leadership positions in workplaces should respect their employees. It's kind of sad when that doesn't happen. I wish an early escape for anyone who is suffering those conditions.