Barcode scanner pulling incorrect products?

Options
Anyone else running into this? Even items I've scanned (correctly!) In the past that I use in recipes are coming up as something completely random! Tested this out with at least 10 different items and only 1 turned up correctly. This was all literally working fine yesterday.

Best Answers

Answers

• bryanmcguire1897
    bryanmcguire1897 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Same here.
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, iOS 17.4, app version 24.10.0
  • DanielleeWilliams92
    DanielleeWilliams92 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Same issue here.
  • DeniseMarSi
    DeniseMarSi Posts: 68 Member
    edited March 20
    Options
    Hello! I have been in and out of using MyFitnessPal for quite a while. I just decided I should do the premium so I can scan foods, but everything I've scanned today is totally inaccurate? Does anyone else have this issue? Is it just a temporary glitch.
  • kattbyrd67
    kattbyrd67 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Same issue. I noticed it for the first time last night. The calories and macros will be correct, but the product name will be something completely random.
  • GSD496
    GSD496 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    kattbyrd67 wrote: »
    Same issue. I noticed it for the first time last night. The calories and macros will be correct, but the product name will be something completely random.

Yes! Exactly this! It's driving me mad. Hopefully it's just a glitch
  • dowtwo2
    dowtwo2 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Me too, just noticed it.
  • jhupfer46n2
    jhupfer46n2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Seems as though everything I scan comes up with the wrong item name (completely wrong) yet the nutritional info looks to be accurate. Whats the deal? Database get discombobulated?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,085 Member
    edited March 20
    Options
    How inaccurate? People expect scanning barcodes to provide a direct pipeline to manufacturers' current information. It's not.

Here's the thing: Barcodes are put into the food database here by regular humans, users of MFP, who scan the food for the first time. Some of them put in accurate information, some don't. There are even a few (bleep)s who make up their own barcodes and assign them to whatever. On top of that, manufacturers change product formulations, making the label information different from what's in the database from the past formulation. Also, formulations for the same produce differ from country to country.

If you're getting totally wrong foods every time (like pork when you want pretzels), open a support ticket through the Help function, because that's a bug.

If you're getting slightly-off information with the wrong details and occasionally a wrong food, it's probably vagaries of the database.

I never scan foods, even though I have premium. One reason is that I get more accurate info when I search by typing things in, because I can vet the entry more easily and choose another if necessary.
  • dasingleipad
    dasingleipad Posts: 1 Member
    edited March 20
    Options
    I have the same issue. I have used the bar code reader for years and it is typically very accurate with the occasional glitch! One example is Olive Oil from Costco that I have scanned many times comes up as Protein Bar, Chocolate Coconut Crisp (Oatmeal). I was building a recipe and tried to scan about 6 items and every item was completely out in left field similar to the olive oil. its like the database has been completely compromised. I have submitted a trouble ticket.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,430 Member
    edited March 20
    Options
    Another issue, particularly if you shop at Aldi or Lidl, is that it will return a European or Middlr Eastern product associated with that bar code, which is usually something totally different.

Apparently bar codes are recycled by geographical region. 🤷🏻‍♀️

I find this most frequently when I’ve shopped the special or seasonal regional foods in the middle aisle at those two stores.

Sometimes, ya just gotta roll with it.
  • Awegg05
    Awegg05 Posts: 156 Member
    edited March 20
    Options
    I just started yesterday and every single thing I've scanned so far was wrong. Sometimes the nutritional facts seemed close, but the name is totally wrong (for my scanned yogurt, I got chicken Parmigiana)
  • flowergirl2020
    flowergirl2020 Posts: 1 Member
    edited March 20
    Options
    Mine started doing the same thing this morning for example my Daisy Light Sour Cream scannned as Reddi Whip and my Mission Tortillas came up as sea salt popcorn. I’ve never experienced this problem before.🤷‍♀️
  • gymbeeb05
    gymbeeb05 Posts: 1 Member
    edited March 20
    Options
    Is anyone else having trouble with things not scanning in correctly? Today is day two of using this app and not one item that I scanned in is correct. The calories are off a little bit, maybe a gram too here and there for macros, but the biggest thing that’s off is the food itself- nothing I scan in comes up as what it actually is when I scan a barcode. Is there someone at MyFitnessPal I can talk to about this?
  • ambojean
    ambojean Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It’s kind of hilarious. I just ate a Reese’s egg but the barcode said I ate one edamame. The nutritional info was correct for the candy- but looks like I ate healthier.
  • jpgrochowalski
    jpgrochowalski Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    So, its good to know I am not the only one. I literally lost my mind for about an hour today trying to figure out why my PB fit shows as Blue Raspberry Liquid Water Enhancer.
  • anaguiu57
    anaguiu57 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Everything I've scanned today has come up with incorrect food titles. The nutrition info is correct, but titles are all incorrect. I've tried scanning several unrelated items, different brands, and the same issue every time. It just started happening today. Anyone else having the same issue? Has the app been hacked? Anyone know? 😒
  • nricci21
    nricci21 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Example salad dressing comes up as bread. Anyone else having this issue?
  • GSD496
    GSD496 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    How inaccurate? People expect scanning barcodes to provide a direct pipeline to manufacturers' current information. It's not.

Here's the thing: Barcodes are put into the food database here by regular humans, users of MFP, who scan the food for the first time. Some of them put in accurate information, some don't. There are even a few (bleep)s who make up their own barcodes and assign them to whatever. On top of that, manufacturers change product formulations, making the label information different from what's in the database from the past formulation. Also, formulations for the same produce differ from country to country.

If you're getting totally wrong foods every time (like pork when you want pretzels), open a support ticket through the Help function, because that's a bug.

If you're getting slightly-off information with the wrong details and occasionally a wrong food, it's probably vagaries of the database.

I never scan foods, even though I have premium. One reason is that I get more accurate info when I search by typing things in, because I can vet the entry more easily and choose another if necessary.

Like, way off. Avocado oil coming back as Chocolate Ice Cream. But looks like they fixed the issue by introducing a new one: barcode scanned turns up as nothing in the system!

They charge us enough for the service, they can hire a QA team to file bugs. Not interested in paying for a service that I then need to file bugs against.