Long journeys

Options
Started February 9th at 222 lbs... my goal is 160 lbs. I am 5'7 & 38 years old. It's a long process and I am here for it. I'm in no rush. I'm not skimping on any calories and trying to starve myself either. My first goal set in mind is to get under 200 lbs of course. I think that's a common one for people over 200 to have. My next one in mind is to get to my wedding weight which was 183... almost 15 years ago. 160 lbs would put me at a healthy BMI range area. I know BMI isn't perfect, but it's just a goal to aim for. My number one goal is to just get healthier so I can eliminate blood pressure medication. If it's as simple as eating less and moving more, I can take that commitment. When you set to achieve something, you have to stay focused and continually remind yourself why you started. Goals won't be accomplished in a month. Staying consistent is important. I am not cutting out any type of food at all. I am simply sticking to the calorie limit here and striving to hit that each day. Does your journey feel like a long haul? The beginning steps and days always feel so daunting. Just keep on going and trying!

Replies

• xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Spot on!

When I hit my goal weight, I felt like I won the lottery! :)

• Namaof14
    Namaof14 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am shooting for May to have hit my weight and
    fitness goals! Taking it one day at a time. On my 2nd week and my strength is getting there!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,704 Member
    Options
    heart3313 wrote: »
    Started February 9th at 222 lbs... my goal is 160 lbs. I am 5'7 & 38 years old. It's a long process and I am here for it. I'm in no rush. I'm not skimping on any calories and trying to starve myself either. My first goal set in mind is to get under 200 lbs of course. I think that's a common one for people over 200 to have. My next one in mind is to get to my wedding weight which was 183... almost 15 years ago. 160 lbs would put me at a healthy BMI range area. I know BMI isn't perfect, but it's just a goal to aim for. My number one goal is to just get healthier so I can eliminate blood pressure medication. If it's as simple as eating less and moving more, I can take that commitment. When you set to achieve something, you have to stay focused and continually remind yourself why you started. Goals won't be accomplished in a month. Staying consistent is important. I am not cutting out any type of food at all. I am simply sticking to the calorie limit here and striving to hit that each day. Does your journey feel like a long haul? The beginning steps and days always feel so daunting. Just keep on going and trying!

Hello! What a great post!

It sounds like you have a very sensible, balanced attitude and plan. Based on that, I predict success.

On the "long haul" issue: Yes and no. I'm in maintenance (heading into year 8) after just under a year of weight loss (50-some pounds) and about 30 years prior to that of overweight/obesity.

It seems like you and I share a belief that manageable, sustainable weight loss is a better plan than shooting for aggressively fast weight loss through extreme measures; and that learning/practicing new habits is key to staying at a healthy weight.

In that context, staying at a healthy weight - long term weight management - is the big prize . . . and it's a forever endeavor.

So: A manageable, non-extreme approach can make the l weight loss phase feel less long, because life alongside that loss is more enjoyable rather than a white-knuckled cycle of self-deprivation. But the journey is long, in the sense that many of us (me for sure) want to stay at a healthy weight for the rest of lifespan.

Wishing you success (which seems like a good bet in your case :flowerforyou:)!
  • iLive2Walk
    iLive2Walk Posts: 3,807 Member
    Options
    Great Post - I started my I started my weight loss journey in January of 2023 at 228 pounds. Like you, my first goal was to get under 200. In March I found the challenges page on MFP and joined a few to keep me accountable- I have lost almost 75 pounds since starting. The Biggest Loser Challenge is starting up again in May, iIf you are looking for something to help you keep accountable or motivated and have some fun at the same time - I highly suggest it. This challenge has been a key factor in my success. The next round starts on May 1, but you can register now through April 27. If you join now, you can take part in the break challenge that starts March 27. After a couple rounds, I like it so much I became a captain of the Determined Desert Tortoises (so I am biased that it is the best team), but there are other teams too. Each has a different focus. The Determined Desert Tortoises focus is like the story of the Tortoise and the Hare - slow and steady wins the race which looks like it would be a great fit for you. They are a wonderful group, sharing great ideas, support, motivation, and accountability in such a nonjudgmental way. Try it - you won't regret it.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10911777/blc55-biggest-loser-challenge-spring-summer-round

d7ktty77cfh4.png
  • HealthyGinny
    HealthyGinny Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Great mindset! I'm 36 this month, I've started mfp (once again) in March 2023 and I have a LOT to lose. i'm going slow but I try to exercize every day and i refuse to starve myself or even just only eat "sad" foods. I've lost 16.5kg so far, but I have a long way to go still.
    You can do it!! Good luck x
  • heart3313
    heart3313 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    iLive2Walk wrote: »
    Great Post - I started my I started my weight loss journey in January of 2023 at 228 pounds. Like you, my first goal was to get under 200. In March I found the challenges page on MFP and joined a few to keep me accountable- I have lost almost 75 pounds since starting. The Biggest Loser Challenge is starting up again in May, iIf you are looking for something to help you keep accountable or motivated and have some fun at the same time - I highly suggest it. This challenge has been a key factor in my success. The next round starts on May 1, but you can register now through April 27. If you join now, you can take part in the break challenge that starts March 27. After a couple rounds, I like it so much I became a captain of the Determined Desert Tortoises (so I am biased that it is the best team), but there are other teams too. Each has a different focus. The Determined Desert Tortoises focus is like the story of the Tortoise and the Hare - slow and steady wins the race which looks like it would be a great fit for you. They are a wonderful group, sharing great ideas, support, motivation, and accountability in such a nonjudgmental way. Try it - you won't regret it.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10911777/blc55-biggest-loser-challenge-spring-summer-round

d7ktty77cfh4.png

This is great!! Thank you for sharing!!