Weight is not coming off

Options
2»

Replies

• albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options

I AM a skinny fat person! HAHA! Not really. I think my size is great! I just am very unhealthy b/c I've had three children ( one that is just 1) and never ate right or worked out. Luckily somehow I have never really gained past 120 ( when not preggo ).

The trainer said that 110 is still a healthy range for me? Who knows!
    Maybe not everybody agrees on this but I think within a healthy range it's still better to be closer to the lower than to the higher border. Still depending on your frame, your trainer could be right.

So it sounds like it would be more effective if you just focus on building on muscles and strength. Good luck.
  • aprilbriann
    Options

I AM a skinny fat person! HAHA! Not really. I think my size is great! I just am very unhealthy b/c I've had three children ( one that is just 1) and never ate right or worked out. Luckily somehow I have never really gained past 120 ( when not preggo ).

The trainer said that 110 is still a healthy range for me? Who knows!
    Maybe not everybody agrees on this but I think within a healthy range it's still better to be closer to the lower than to the higher border. Still depending on your frame, your trainer could be right.

So it sounds like it would be more effective if you just focus on building on muscles and strength. Good luck.

Thanks so much!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you really want to push yourself in terms of building muscle, I would look at a program like p90x. I think that and the advice on here far surpasses anything a trainer could tell you. Hell, i know trainers and most don't know half of what I do. Now a certified nutritionist would be a different story but just unnecessary. My advice, get some body calipers to measure you body fat and a tape measure to gather inches.

all you need to figure out caloric needs is height, weight and age. If you have body fat, it just makes it more accurate.
  • aprilbriann
    Options
    If you really want to push yourself in terms of building muscle, I would look at a program like p90x. I think that and the advice on here far surpasses anything a trainer could tell you. Hell, i know trainers and most don't know half of what I do. Now a certified nutritionist would be a different story but just unnecessary. My advice, get some body calipers to measure you body fat and a tape measure to gather inches.

all you need to figure out caloric needs is height, weight and age. If you have body fat, it just makes it more accurate.

GREAT advice thanks! Do you think I should up my calories to maintain then? Or will I find out more about that when I find out body fat?
  • EricaLaurenRN
    Options

GREAT advice thanks! Do you think I should up my calories to maintain then? Or will I find out more about that when I find out body fat?

With p90x they give you a diet plan, but yes you will have to up your calories to make sure that you're getting the right amounts of protein/fat/carbs. If you're deficient in any area, especially protein, it can be hard to add muscle! Good luck girl :)
  • Southernsister
    Southernsister Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Baby girl for your height 114 is the lo,133 is target, You are a small frame so you are good,but if you like to be in the BMI for you than 114 is okay. I think you look great a size. I understand the baby fat after having three beautiful children. I think at this point you should focus on tightening that beautiful body and eating healthy . If you add anything id add some cardio and biggest loser has that too if you find it easier to do at home. YOU are doing great you have traded the bad things for the good and focused on making a healthy life change that ill help your family also.It is about you being healthy and feeling good. I love you and thank you for turning me on to MFP and being there through my journey
    Love you, southern sister( mom)
    My story.....http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/350547-my-story-at-a-second-chance-at-life-photos
  • Southernsister
    Southernsister Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Very true and she has a small frame...she is feeling right things and just needs to tone up and be healthy.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Here is a really good, inspiring story about a gal and her experience with strength training:

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

I also recommend the book "The New Rules of Lifting for Women", which helps with calorie intake and weight training techniques. If you're looking for another really good program, ChaLEAN Extreme is a really great one (I personally think it's better than p90x for beginners, and I really dislike Tony Horton).
  • siabevis
    Options
    I agree with weight training! Muscle eats fat, and speeds up your metabolism. When you gain muscle, your weight will stay the same at first and then you will actually gain pounds-but dont be alarmed, you are TONING up! Good luck :)
  • aprilbriann
    Options
    Here is a really good, inspiring story about a gal and her experience with strength training:

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

I also recommend the book "The New Rules of Lifting for Women", which helps with calorie intake and weight training techniques. If you're looking for another really good program, ChaLEAN Extreme is a really great one (I personally think it's better than p90x for beginners, and I really dislike Tony Horton).

Thank you for help! I will check this story out and look into the book and work out program! Thanks so much!
  • aprilbriann
    Options
    I agree with weight training! Muscle eats fat, and speeds up your metabolism. When you gain muscle, your weight will stay the same at first and then you will actually gain pounds-but dont be alarmed, you are TONING up! Good luck :)

YAY SIA! Thanks for joining the convo! Great advice chick!
  • aprilbriann
    Options
    Baby girl for your height 114 is the lo,133 is target, You are a small frame so you are good,but if you like to be in the BMI for you than 114 is okay. I think you look great a size. I understand the baby fat after having three beautiful children. I think at this point you should focus on tightening that beautiful body and eating healthy . If you add anything id add some cardio and biggest loser has that too if you find it easier to do at home. YOU are doing great you have traded the bad things for the good and focused on making a healthy life change that ill help your family also.It is about you being healthy and feeling good. I love you and thank you for turning me on to MFP and being there through my journey
    Love you, southern sister( mom)
    My story.....http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/350547-my-story-at-a-second-chance-at-life-photos

Thanks mom! LOVE YA!
  • siabevis
    Options
    U are welcome! And ur GORGEOUS :) I would honestly say (even tho I did it), to not judge ur weightloss by a number. I took a pic of myself one time each month, I wouldnt do it weekly because you will discourage yourself and wont notice a big difference. Def lift weights :) Take Jamie Easons advice!!! She said she once was "skinny fat" and bulked up, Heck yeah!
  • Zeal8
    Zeal8 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    the change in diet and the lack of major change in weight could be a whole lot of things. your metabolism isn't always the same. also, try alternating the types of calories you take in (carbs, fats, proteins).
    and as others have suggested, going to the gym and possibly gaining a bit of muscle may give you an appearance that you like. it's all trial and error when it comes to the human body.