Healthy for the Holidays Challenge - 9/06 - 11/22

Options

Replies

• singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Here's the recipe for my breakfast/brunch mainstay.

Crustless Quiche

Mix together:

6 eggs, lightly beaten
    1 cup heavy cream
    1/2 cup whole milk
    1/4 tsp sugar (optional)
    1/4 tsp salt (omit for Quiche Lorraine)
    1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
    1/3 cup grated onion

Arrange your choice of the following in a greased round baking dish (I use a 9-inch Pyrex glass baking dish that has a cover, for easy storage in the refrig.) and pour the egg/milk mixture over the top.

Quiche Lorraine (omit salt)
    4 oz. (about 1 cup grated) Swiss cheese (I use 3 oz Swiss and 1 oz Asiago)
    2/3 cup crumbled bacon

Mushroom and Red Bell Pepper Quiche
    4 oz Swiss Cheese, grated
    1 cup sliced or cut up fresh mushrooms--sauteed (probably could use 1 small can canned mushrooms--haven't tried that yet)
    1/2 cup diced red bell pepper--sauteed
    1/4 cup crumbled bacon

Broccoli/Cheddar Quiche
    4 oz cheddar cheese, grated
    2 cups broccoli florets, lightly microwaved or blanched and drained.

Bake at 425F for 15 minutes, then lower heat to 300F and bake 25-30 more minutes until knife inserted about 1 inch from the edge comes out clean. When cooled, cut into 6 wedges and refrigerate. Calories vary with ingredients, but roughly 350-400 calories/serving, carbs about 4 g/serving. I warm in the microwave 45-55 second on high. Keeps easily for 6 days in the refrig.
  • jessicamarie81
    jessicamarie81 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the beef barely recipe Angela, I have been aiming to try it, now that I have my new laptop I can save all these recipes, all the ones you've given me before are on my old broken one :( You should post the veggie lasagna you made last week and the chicken salad you make!
  • jessicamarie81
    jessicamarie81 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Thanks Rose, quiche is something I do enjoy but believe it or not I've never made them myself, looks easy and gave me some great ideas! Man, I love this challenge, lol
    Today I did get a burn in with the elliptical, I haven't worked my way up yet, it's tough starting out...but me and my son did get outside and we did some running around and I chased the dog, not sure how "fun" that was for the challenge but I did get out in the great outdoors :) Oh and I swept too, lots and lots of those little whirly things falling from the trees and I got a long huge sidewalk and porch, that was vigorous!
  • fleetwitch
    fleetwitch Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    This is my 16 day and I have lost only 2.3 lbs. I work out hard and eat under the amount and if I can not do well now what makes me think that I will do well over the holidays? I need help.
    Start weight 265
    Now 183.0
    Goal 140
  • LeslieRoyale
    LeslieRoyale Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I am LOVING all the recipes so far!!!! WOOOT!!!!
    Rose, question for you...have you ever done your quiche in muffin tins? Just curious, because little individual quiche-ins would be awesome for my on the go mornings!
  • oliviawink
    oliviawink Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Rose, question for you...have you ever done your quiche in muffin tins? Just curious, because little individual quiche-ins would be awesome for my on the go mornings!
    I've done mini-quiches in muffin tins. be sure to oil them really well and it works great. used to make a bunch on the weekends, then freeze, and pop in the microwave for easy morning breakfasts
  • oliviawink
    Options
    This is my 16 day and I have lost only 2.3 lbs. I work out hard and eat under the amount and if I can not do well now what makes me think that I will do well over the holidays? I need help.
    Start weight 265
    Now 183.0
    Goal 140
    for just over 2 weeks, 2/3 lbs is PERFECT! You want to aim for 1ish lbs a week. Some weeks you'll lose a little more and others a little less. Anything fast than that is not sustainable/healthy loss. Lifestyle changes take time, but all those little choices lead to little losses and overtime add up to big losses. Keep at it and you'll find yourself a new woman in no time.
    For a little perspective: I started in Feb, have lost close to 25lbs and today a guy that my hubby works with noted to me how great I look. Slow and steady baby!
  • LeslieRoyale
    LeslieRoyale Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I've done mini-quiches in muffin tins. be sure to oil them really well and it works great. used to make a bunch on the weekends, then freeze, and pop in the microwave for easy morning breakfasts

SWEET! Thanks, Liv :heart:
  • alacarte
    alacarte Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Bumping to follow the thread
  • helena98
    Options
    Happy Wednesday! It's time to review our chart!

Remember, you are only included in the chart if you reported a weight this week. Late weigh-ins are always accepted and will be added to the spreadsheet (link listed below).

tk5Zg.png

We're making progress!! Congrats to the following members who moved "up" in the colors (white to yellow or green / yellow to green).
    :flowerforyou: alacarte
    :flowerforyou: ceejay000
    :flowerforyou: Cusegirl1992
    :flowerforyou: jessicamarie81
    :flowerforyou: kathied41
    :flowerforyou: MayLan
    :flowerforyou: msaap
    :flowerforyou: opalmel

Keep up the good work!

SPREADSHEET LINK:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AoomF1o6sg6LdEw2NV92dFQ5RDZqbm1Bek5xR1M4M3c&hl=en_US
  • oliviawink
    Options
    sweet, still in the green! Thanks again Helen!

I'm so starving and I know I need to eat, but IDK what to eat right now. That's so totally the worst. Hope I find something healthy quick then I'm off to bed early-ish!
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I bought some sweetango apples today Soooo tasty! They are the perfect consistency flavor, you name it! Makes it feel like fall! Helen you do such an awesome job with the charts! Thanks! Being 9 % to goal is awesome! So much better than 0!!

Well I am off to get my hubby at the airport-he's been to a conference for a few days and I am glad he's coming home!

BTW I absolutely love taco soup!! I will post a recipe soon! Actually you can check out my blog-- debscooking.blogspot.com I have our favorites and some old family recipes on there.
  • Tissues
    Tissues Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Leslie.. THANK YOU for the challenge..lol. I finally got off my toosh and worked hard tonight. and now of course I feel awesome.

I also tried something new today! I tried these stir fry veggies, which had broccoli, and snap peas, carrots.. and italian squash I think... pretty good and my kidlet loved it. he ate around the broccoli though.

Helen-- thanks again for the chart ! :flowerforyou:
  • tammihart
    tammihart Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Thank You Helen! The chart is great

I like this challenge. I have an inhome day care, yesterday it was raining so we had to stay in but I got the wii out and we played on that for awhile. Today we are going to do some yoga on the gym mat.

I am loving the recipes and I will pick up something new at the grocery store this weekend.
  • emariec78
    emariec78 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I always love a cooking/recipe week! I'm going to have to go back and print all these out! I made this really simple and tasty, healthy buttnernut squash soup last night, I've had that before but never made it myself.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/claire-robinson/butternut-squash-soup-recipe/index.html

I can tell you right now there is no way I"m getting to 3500 cals burned this week, but I will try to get in as much as I can :smile:
  • oliviawink
    Options
    of course my dear friend Leslie brought us the 3500 burn challenge in the 1 week that I'm not playing ultimate frisbee (typically a 1000+ calorie burn) and that the Great American Beer Fest is in town (for those that don't know, my hubby is a professional beer brewer, so this is a big event for us) and I'm traveling for work Sunday-Wednesday. Getting 3500 cals burned is going to be a big feat, but as you all know, I like a good challenge, so I'm gonna push it has hard as I can and get as close as I can. I'm a little behind on the week, 650/3500, which means I need to burn 570 each day to meet this by Tuesday, including the days that I'm at the fest and traveling. Not impossible, but surely a real challenge, good thing my hotel has a gym!

I'm going to shoot for a 650 cal burn today to take a little pressure off. Let's see if I can do it...
  • Tissues
    Tissues Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    You can do it Olivia!! cake walk :wink:

I'm planning the same burn as yesterday.. I can't believe I burned 590 cals just doing Banish Fat Boost Metabolism alone, and of course it didn't count all the walking I did yesterday. I'm looking to match that tonight.
  • aab1
    aab1 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    9/06 SW: 198
    9/13: 198
    9/20: 199
    9/29: 198

11/22 GW: 185

Wk #3: 1lb Loss

Wow...I'm so out of touch with the thread. :cry: ...I'm hoping everyone is doing well! SOOOOOO impressed the thread has flipped to a new page.

The last few weeks have been hectic for me. My Mom finally sold her house; September has been madness with packing, cleaning, looking for a new place, etc, etc. We're so relieved it sold but what a burden to get so much done in a short timeframe.

Have a great Thursday!!!...:flowerforyou:
  • cdevine10
    cdevine10 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Tried something new yesterday! Went out to lunch (which I rarely do) and tried a Vegan Thai peanut rice and veggies. It was delicious!! Now to get the 3500 exercise calories burned!!!!
  • MayLan
    MayLan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Great chart, it's just beautiful. I am in the yellow and hope to move to the green, but I just joined you guys a few weeks ago. Still, I'm excited and hopeful.

I'm so excited to try any new recipe for this weeks challenge, but I haven't had the time yet. I'm really proud of myself because the I'm going to hopefully finish the calorie challenge this week.

Wow, getting ready to head home.....but I appreciate all of you!!!!!

Hugs and kisses!