WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2024

Options

Replies

• javaplace
    javaplace Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    kymarai wrote: »
    Good Morning!
    Lanette Thank you for that rabbit hole! I have downloaded to kindle both Atomic Habits and Why we Get Sick books. I am interested in reading them both. The connection between Insulin and migraines grabbed my attention for me. There were other signs that grabbed my attention for DH. He is "pre-diabetic with an A1C of 6.2. I am not sure that I can get my net carbs down as low as recommended due to honey for allergies (in my morning coffee), but surely can make other changes. I know that with MFP's pie chart I seem to have my numbers really skewed. It has me at 50% carbs, 30% fat, and 20% protein. I find I am almost always around 50% fat, 15% protein, and 35% carbs. I am thinking if I up the produce and protein intake it will help even out the carb intake in spite of honey in the morning. Man! That means I really need to plan foods! So I added cottage cheese to our scrambled eggs this morning=more protein. It was really good! Pick and choose and try to make it work.....DH is dependent on me for food so that helps. He is an after dinner snacker which irritates me as I feel like he should have eaten more dinner, but that is me. Lead by example.....Lead by example.....Lead by example! That is what I will keep telling myself on this journey to make both of us the healthiest we can be. I could take our FBS in the morning. I have a kit. I have been hypoglycemic all my life but since menopause, my body is really confusing me. The last blood work had my fasting at 99 which is up from the previous blood work. Work in progress!

HeatherUK I am praying for healing for you! It saddens me to think of you sidelined from the activities you love by pain. Hugs!

Lisa Good Job Egg! Yay to you for dealing with it! Love the two beds! Homesteading 101- use what you have! My DH is talking about putting in raised beds around new garage......mmmm....maybe vegggies!?!

House....ours is perfect in many ways. Not too large, single level, no more than one step to get into it anywhere, 2.5 baths with one having a small lip shower. Things wanting to change....new carpets (most are 20-40 yo), better storage in kitchen/laundry room, new countertops in kitchen (nothing really wrong with one there just tired), and new master bathroom- getting rid of tub, getting taller sink/vanity, and adding door. None of these items are urgent, just wants. The bathroom takes priority though it has now been put on the back burner again. First by the new blacktop and concrete for driveway, sidewalks, and front porch. Now by the garage addition. Maybe before I turn 70! Having said all that, I am not sure how long I would stay here if something happened to DH. The solitude is nice, but if I want to travel I don't need to worry about all this. It has been 30 years since I have lived close to people though. The time may come when it will be something to consider. In the meantime, I just need to get us both healthy!

Barbara Thinking of you and hoping you are taking the time to heal.

Tracey I like the look of your craft room.

Deferred decisions for today....training, filing paperwork, and paying bills. I should get a move on.

Much love and healing thoughts!

Kylia in sunny but COLD! Ohio

@kymarai Great Idea..Never thought to add cottage cheese to our scrambled eggs. Just another way to eat our girls eggs.
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    Terri-it's nice the family will get to celebrate two things on Easter. Has his birthday fallen on it before? I have a nephew whose birthday is December 25-he has always shared it!

Tracey-your craft room is a great use of space!

Heather-when my hips were going stepping over the tub to get in for a shower was almost impossible. When we redid our bathroom we took out the tub and replaced it with a shower basin. I am not concerned that it may detract from selling the house-I wouldn't be living here if I had to step over.

Annie-electrical issues always need to be checked out sooner instead of later.

Lisa-good job rescuing Egg from the snake. I don't care for snakes either but sometimes we just have to do what needs to be done. Working outside can be addictive. My heat intolerance really doesn't make it such a good idea any more. I take care of my four rose bushes. I may get a hanging basket for out front this year and possible a cherry tomato patio plant.

Kylia-I think the squirrel and mouse come from the neighborhood in which you live! The land and solitude has its price. But I do agree-they need to stay away from the house.

Kim-I don't think we ever finish everything with a house-there is always a work in progress.

Allie-wish you could get your tiredness resolved.

Joy-good job continuing your walking. Slowly increase time-an additional 5 minutes a day makes a difference. Also, there are several of us who also walk inside the house. If I haven't been able to get an outside walk in I go for a thirty minute indoor walk (that's what I have my exercise set on my Apple Watch).

Machka-you get some interesting discussions going. I have shared what I am looking at-I am moving from my house when I retire. I simply don't want the responsibility any more. My requirements for my retirement place is a 55 plus senior all-inclusive. I am going for that because I would like some one to clean twice a month. I don't want to have to cook. I want the on site activities. In checking them out I decided I want some sort of outdoor walking options (besides city streets). My silliest choice is I would like a unit with a half bath so I don't have others using my bathroom! (never had a a living option with that).

I have a question-I told you about the individual who gave quote yesterday and I have been replaying parts of it and don't know if I am over reacting. It's about safety.
    The process they recommend is basically an updated form of the floating basement I have (no doubt new process is better). They would bust out the floor about a foot out from walls around the entire perimeter. The majority of the basement has old 1950's tile-pretty darn sure asbestos. I asked what they would do about remediation before busting it up. He said it's no problem-his crew doesn't mind-they wear masks. I can't help but think that in the jack hammering process that dust is going to spread everywhere-no clue how I could guarantee it is cleaned up-what about the health hazard to me? I might be overreacting-but that approach seems a bit cavalier to me and irresponsible on their part.

Much more productive today. Church, grocery, laundry and ironing done. Stretches done and 2.5 mile walk. Made a turkey meat loaf for dinners this week. Got all trash cans in house emptied and in the outside can ready to put out to curb tomorrow night. Picked up toys gkids left in back yard to clear for mowing Thursday. Did not get anything done for work but feel much more rested for way I spent weekend.

Off to bed so I can hit the ground running in the morning (or at least walking fast!)

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio

• LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,390 Member
    edited March 25
    Options
    Ginny - My opinion only, and real estate regulations may vary by state, but as soon as those tiles are disturbed, if broken, they're considered friable. And friable asbestos is terribly dangerous. I was married to a military safety guy for 27 years. I wouldn't let anyone touch it if it's not completely necessary - it would set you up for litigation from any workman who ends up getting ill down the road if they're not using the right protective equipment. By no means least is the danger to you. I would, at a minimum, get a second opinion.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,868 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies,

Machka - I'm so glad you found a dentist so quickly, hope all goes well. I remember when your DH had his accident, your life and struggles at the time. You became an expert on brain injury. The extent of his recovery has almost been miraculous. I hope he continues to be active and engaging for many, many years.

Home inspection- lots of red flags for that house you were considering - spongy floors and buckets in the attic - yikes!! It can be a minefield for sure. That reminded me - before we put the farm up for sale, we hired a licensed home inspector to let US know that had to be done to the farmhouse. He came up with quite a list - the most expensive was a new electrical panel but it had to be done. It was educational following him around and understanding what he was looking for. When we put the house on the market, we had the inspection report available and the list of what we had done which really sped everything up.

Lisa - I'm like you. Anything worth doing is worth overdoing when it comes to catching up on outside chores. :p And we often pay for it. I try real hard to limit myself to an hour, or less, and not feel like I'm a lazy bum.

My lawn maintenance guy, Alex, came by yesterday morning and we tramped around the back yard in the rain. His crew will stop by in a few weeks and take out some trees and bushes to make mowing easier. I'll have a more extensive summer project for them. I really like him. He's another kid I never had and speaks both Spanish and English. A genuinely nice person with a great reputation in the community. I'm blessed to have him and his crew available to help me.

Debbie - I envy you and your warmer weather when it comes to starting veggies. Nice that your mom will have a market for her produce, and that neighbor is available to help her with outside chores if I'm remembering right. Interesting your DH's Safeway is making those changes, I wonder why. Do you think he'll miss not going to work?

Tracey - glad your foot is starting to get better. Interesting about the dishwasher problems. I'm having microwave problems, I think something is wrong with the breaker that they keep going out. This is at the top of my list for the electrician. Loved the photo of your great grandmother, what a special thing to have. Nice about Jonah's friend. That tells me kids will really take a liking to you in your future job.

Annie - Do you think your car giving you shocks might be static electricity? You continue to impress me with your exercise. ;)

Kylia- so sorry about your weather headaches. Looks like a few more days of winter in the midwest.

Vicki - glad your staff is willing to step up and fill in the gap the bothersome employee left. You need to be able to take your time off.

Terri - glad you didn't do any major damage with that fall. Sounds like we are all getting spring fever with the seed starting.

Heather - I don't think John's reaction is unusual. My DH was the worst when it came to helping me or giving me much sympathy before or after my operations. He would get so silent and moody, and I hated even telling him about doctor visits! I wonder if it's because they have anxiety about their wives becoming disabled or even dying? Losing their housemates and helpmates maybe? You might be on to something about John reliving the loss of his previous partner. I do know I'm coping better without my DH than he would have coped without me had the tables been turned if that makes any sense. He even admitted that to me several times before he started going downhill.

Lisa - I'm impressed by that scanner. The one I have right now is the basic printer/scanner where I lift the lid, place the document or photo on the scanning bed, hold my mouth right and hope the wi-fi pulls it onto my PC. It's been fine for the few things I've needed to scan so far, but the whole thing will need to be replace one of these days. By the way, I sure miss the days before everything being wi-fi when I could attach the printer to the PC via a cable and it went smoothly.

Insulin resistance rabbit hole:
    I've spent the last week wondering how in the world I could have slid into prediabetic range when I was doing all the right things. Eating protein first. Walking for at least ten minutes after each meal. Avoiding or at least severely restricting added sugars. I suspect it turns out that I wasn't paying attention to total carbs.

I ran across this gal - Dr. Morgan Nolte. She's a geriatric physical therapist who immersed herself in the effects of insulin resistance after working with older patients who were suffering a lot of disease and disability caused by it.

I've watched a few of her videos and I think my suspicions might be right. I wasn't paying attention to carbs. In one of her videos, she says to cut carbs way back - 60 to 80 grams of net carbs per day. Try to eliminate the flour, rice, pasta, potatoes - starches that don't have much fat, protein or fiber. I know I was easily getting 200 gm or higher each day.

Here's a video of an interview she did with Dr. Ben Bikman, author of "Why We Get Sick". He mentions there are indicators of insulin resistance without taking a fasting insulin test. Skin tags. I've noticed a few on my neck this past few years. They are small, but I wondered about them - and the one Dr. Lisa removed recently that was growing on my eyelid.

Another indicator is the ratio of triglycerides to HDL. If it's lower than 1.5, it means a person is insulin sensitive, which is a good thing. It's doing its job delivering glucose at the right time in the right amounts and our cells are happy. If it's above 1.5, we are resistant. I'm at 1.55 based on bloodwork 1 1/2 years ago, when my triglycerides were 98, HDL 63. I have his book on order from the library and an appointment with Dr. Lisa this Thursday to get more feedback.

The video - a little over 1 hour. Apologies if it starts toward the end of the video - I didn't do that on purpose, that's when I switched over to finish watching it on my tablet and this laptop remembers it. Maybe you gals get it starting at the beginning. ;)
    New computer:
    Earlier this week I stopped into Staples to ask about them uninstalling the old McAfee and installing the new one soon. I mentioned that I was shopping for another laptop, thinking about not using McAfee and going with Avast instead. Got the lecture that people have all kinds of trouble, too many popups, most of the computer problems they fixed are due to these free things.

Same lecture when I said I wanted to go with Libreoffice instead of MS Office. Pop-ups, crashes, catching the house on fire, hens will quit laying, etc. etc. :p

I wasn't surprised. Will make an appointment to have them do the McAfee mainly so I can watch and learn.

There's a local computer seller and repair business has been going since the mid 90's. DH worked at the college with one of the former employees - maybe owner? I have a hunch that's how DH picked up a lot of info about putting a computer together and alternate anti-viruses and office software.

Their rates are reasonable and they have a good reputation. I might just walk out of there all fixed up with a basic laptop without all the aggravating bells and whistles I don't use. I see now Windows has downloaded a "co-pilot". Whatever that is. If I was 23 I'm sure I'd be overjoyed, lol.

Thanks to all of you for putting up with me and the possible new house. The more I thought about it, the more bad features came to light, and the more I realized that getting my current house ready to go on the market will be a herculean job. There are some things I'm just not ready to declutter yet - DH's stuff in the shop and shed - that will take time and research. Don't want to be hurried if I don't have to be. Love you all and appreciate your imput! <3

Better close. Lots to do this morning.

Make it a fabulous weekend!

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

Lanette, have you gone for a glucose tolerance test?

Sometimes my blood sugar appears a bit high on a blood test, but when I had a glucose tolerance test about a year ago everything was normal.

M in Oz
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    Ginny - Lisa took the words out of my computer keyboard!!!! 2nd opinion! and possibly a test done to see what type of tile they are.

Kim in N. California
  • Machka9
    Options
    Ginny ... yes, second opinion. Also look up the law in your area regarding asbestos.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,546 Member
    Options
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Ginny, Lisa said it so well! That sounds like a pretty cavalier approach to me too, not sure I would want those guys in my house....
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,740 Member
    Options
    Heather - Rodger bought that drawer set for me for crafts years ago. I use it now for stuff for the kids. The bottom drawer is all Lego and the rest is mostly play-doh and arty stuff for Michaela. It does work well but the drawers come off the track quite easily and I found you need other containers inside to keep things together and from rolling all over.
    I hope you get some answers tomorrow.

My dream home:
    3 bedroom - 2 bath - ours is fine when it’s just Rodger and I but I really wish there was another room for when the Grands are here.
    An attached heated garage for Rodger to have for a shop, not necessarily parking if there was room for parking too it would be great!
    All one level and trees I can see out the window.
    Nothing to repair! I’m tired of always needing to do something.
    All hard flooring
    I’m with Lisa in HOA’s, condos, etc. I want to do what I want.
    I also want a huge backyard where I can have a fire pit.

Lisa - that is a skill I don’t know I could master, it might take too much perfection for me lol
    Thank you. I can’t believe how fast this course has gone!

Beth - the sun sure makes a difference in our moods.

Kylia - you had a lot of thinking going on today. I have given up on trying to end evening snacking. I just try to save room for it more days than not in my calories.
    When DH went to the dietitian about his diabetes, they told him that natural sweeteners such as fruits and honey are fine for diabetics. They actually told him not to 100% remove anything from his diet, just to practice portion control. He’s been keeping it pretty steady since then, although this winter he has struggled a little more. The night shifts are getting to him.
    If dogs would help with all of that I would be having them too. Would cats work?

Lanette - I love organizing, it makes me feel so much calmer when I get rid of things and organize them.

Joy - it sounds like you will have a very pretty table set.

Ginny - I am with you on the safety, I’m sure there are laws about that. There are here for sure.

I have 5 of my photo boxes emptied and 6 albums full. Kaitlyn is coming again tomorrow, we are also going to do the gallery wall I want. Hopefully we make a huge dent in it.

Chase and Jonah are coming for their sleepover Tuesday and Wednesday night.

I have a project to do in the morning for school, i attempted to start it off and on today and it’s not coming together for me. I need to do it tomorrow because it’s due Tuesday at 830am.

Off to bed,
    Tracey in Edmonton
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka I think safety and affordability top my list. But when I'm dreaming, I would like to live by a lake. And in an area with a lot of rich bachelors!

I would also like to be close to a church of my denomination, and a grocery store, and I will look for one- level living next time. The day will come when I don't want to drive or climb stairs. Maybe a retirement community with a library and a fitness center. A writing group would be fabulous. I would like to be near live theater, too.

As far as the house itself, I would like a sunny back deck. And hardwood floors. And high speed internet. A place for my books and for a home gym. I love wood fireplaces, but they are a lot of work. I don't want lead or asbestos or drainage issues.

Can you tell I spend a lot of time on this issue? If my dad has to sell the house to afford memory care, I may have to move quickly.

Annie in Delaware

I like living near or at least being able to see water from my house. We have a bay glimpse in our current place which I like.

Fortunately groceries can be delivered here so I don't have to worry about being near a grocery store.

The library is near where I work (and where I may work for the next 10 years until I can retire), but I've started using Libby more frequently so I don't have to go to a library. :)

Your dream house sounds nice!

Machka - Dream house elements if we were to buy again - got longer than I thought it would! Many of them, we've either got with this house or have built into this house.
    1. Ranch style (the American version of the one-level you mentioned - no stairs anywhere). There are minor steps into and around getting in our current house, but none inside.
    2. Two bathrooms, one with a bidet - Not sharing a bathroom is one of my personal recommendations for a happy marriage. We have a bath and a half now, not quite enough.
    3. Large kitchen - Preferably with room for an informal table that seats 4 or 5, or a breakfast nook. It's where family always ends up anyway. We have this now.
    4. Mudroom/utility room - Place for washer, dryer, coats, freezers, room to store boots and shoes, and room to sit down and put them on. We built in a mudroom in this house, but it's separate from the laundry room.
    5. Hardwood, vinyl, and tile floors throughout - Only the bedroom has carpet here.
    6. Three bedrooms - So I can make one a craft room/workspace, or two bedrooms and an office/den that I can turn into a craft room. I've turned what was a formal dining room into a craft room in this house, and it works well. Wouldn't mind one even larger, with room for a worktable in the middle.
    7. Wraparound porch - My favorite houses have large porch spaces, with at least part screened in to avoid the bugs and comfortable seating. We don't have that wraparound here, but do have the new sunroom.
    8. Fully fenced acreage with space for a garden near the house - We have 11 acres now, and it's a little much. We don't use more than the five acres nearest the house. We're only partially fenced at the moment, and we still get stray dogs through.
    9. House placement - Far enough inside the property that neighbors' barking dogs aren't an issue.
    10. Workshop separated from the house - Large one, with room for woodworking, space for all mechanical, construction and garden tools, and drive-in space for the big mowers and equipment to keep the acreage in good shape. Right now, we're using three different outbuildings for all this stuff, but we've marked a place out where we want to build the workshop, and will eventually get it done.
    11. Separate or attached garages or carports accommodating three vehicles - Need room for my car, Corey's truck, and Corey's work truck. Right now, Corey's old truck is parked out in the weather.
    12. No HOAs - These are organizations that usually develop along with an area that's newly built. They dictate everything from what color your house can be painted to what you can add on to all kinds of other things that punish you if you violate the rules. And people pay fees to them to live in that area. I won't live where one is in force. This does mean that people can let things go around their homes near you, but I won't have someone else tell me what I can do on my property. Makes my skin crawl.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in chilly Arkansas

Bathrooms - with the exception of about 10 months when we first moved to Tasmania, we've always had just one bathroom. During that 10 months, the place had an additional toilet, and when I say toilet, I do mean just the toilet. My ex and I only had 1 bathroom and a teensy-tiny one at that.

I'm not quite sure what I'd do with 2 of the things! I'm not sure if it would be a luxury or just another bathroom to clean.

One thing I want is a North American style bathroom with the toilet IN the bathroom instead of the Australian style with the toilet in a separate room somewhere else in the house.

Far enough inside the property that neighbors' barking dogs aren't an issue - although we don't want a big piece of land, no barking dogs would be wonderful!!! There are two nearby, and a third over the fence, who just don't stop barking!! I don't know how they do it. If I talked for hours and hours, my throat would be so sore and I'd lose my voice but these things don't seem to be troubled by that at all. The owners go away for long periods of time and leave these dogs alone to bark and bark. And we would have to pay a $74 fee to register a complaint. Guess I shouldn't complain ... the fee used to be $175!

We and the neighbours on the other side reported the one dog to the rental agent when she came to inspect their place. She kind of shrugged it off at first, then opened the gate to go in and the dog came at her running, growling, barking, and slammed into the gate which she hastily closed. Since then, that dog has only been around about half the time.

Silence would be so incredibly wonderful!!

My husband wants a workshop. :)

bwcetc wrote: »
    Tracey ... thank you for the photo app name! Your craft room looks great!

Machka ... I've thought about where I live and where I would want to be. Our home is wheelchair accessible (also one level) so it really is somewhere to age in place. Except for the laundry. That's in the basement. Used to be on the main level but we moved it to make the wheelchair accessible shower larger years ago. We will need to bring it back up at some point and probably place it where a special jetted tub sits. We've just about taken care of everything major that a house needs to have done. What's left are more cosmetic things like replacing flooring and painting the interior.

Well, the sun came out yesterday ... And, yes, my mood improved immensely! :)

Beth near Buffalo

In addition to wanting a North American style bathroom, I'd like one that either is accessible or is able to become accessible quite easily.

Sun is wonderful!
    We've got a small box, but I wanted one big enough to hold everything we need to protect. It was $68 from Wally-world, good for up to 15 minutes of fire at 1550 degrees, and water-resistant as well to survive the firefighters' flooding the place. That should be sufficient for what we need. So... with taxes, time, etc., about a $300 project, but the only files actually left in the house will be in that safe, and the only paper photographs will be in frames on the wall.

Love,
    Lisa in AR

WOW ... that seems like a remarkably low price!

Machka in Oz

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,702 Member
    Options
    Another night of nutty sleep.. ugh..
    I have a feeling it could be the Lupus but who knows.
    Today should be interesting..maybe a nap this morning.
  • Machka9
    Options
    As I mentioned I rearranged my craft room a bit today. I don’t know why I didn’t think about doing this months ago!
    I put my desk right in front of my bookshelf. I can still get at the lower two shelves easily enough and it gives me so much more floor space!
    n4gnbeau58e3.jpeg
    t0wulc8scqim.jpeg

Tracey in Edmonton

Nice work! I like the idea of using a closet like that ... extra space in a room. :)

M in Oz

• Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,045 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

The sun is just beginning to peek out here. There's a faint pink stripe on the horizon, and a warm lump of dog on my lap.

I'm taking my dad to the dermatologist today. I guess we will take his car. I asked him if he wanted me to go, and he was ambivalent. He will be thankful later.

I ordered another book, The Beck Diet Solution by Dr Judith Beck. Amazon sells an answer to any problem!

I think my Dad would freak if I rearranged any furniture. I almost moved my Mom's purse from the chair but he said he liked seeing it there. My space is one spare bedroom. But I'm grateful for it because it enables me to save my money.

Have a fabulous day, my friends! May you each be happy, healthy, safe and free!

Annie in Delaware

• kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
    Good Morning!
    Yesterday was a good day and productive. I got a few things sorted, filed, and shredded. Completed required Toro and Stihl training- 7 hours. Helped DH rake and pick up 15 5 gallon buckets of nuts from the front yard (no wonder the squirrels like us!). He picked up large branches he could see, I helped with the ones he couldn't see. And we edged the flower beds. Finished the night wiping down stove and microwave and mopping kitchen floor.

Tracey Cats might work, but I know that dogs do. Still on hold there with garage going in. I wouldn't want to worry about them getting in the workers way.

Ginny Yep, part of the neighborhood and thankful they aren't in house like in Kentucky! All the nut trees planted in the yard don't help. I have no interest in removing the massive oak out front though ;)

Allie What do your doctors say about the excessive tiredness? We are worried about you.

Machka In some homes here there is a toilet "closet" but it is located in with the shower and sink. When we redo our master bathroom, I am debating on double sinks but I really like having my own bathroom. When I mentioned it to my DH, he said, awww, we could brush our teeth together-LOL! Ginny mentioned resale value when remodeling, like her, I am not thinking of resale, just what works for us. This means the tub comes out. I figure bathrooms and kitchens are personal and should work for the person currently living there.

Hi Ho! Hi Ho! It's off to work I go!
    Healing thoughts!
    Creative thoughts!
    Make the best decision you can in the moment!

<3
    Kylia in Ohio where Spring is making a comeback today
  • Machka9
    edited March 25
    Options
    Regarding Type 2 Diabetes

First of all, there is a strong genetic element, so a person could do everything right, but genetics take their effect.
    https://www.diabetesaustralia.com.au/about-diabetes/type-2-diabetes/

"The condition has strong genetic and family-related (non-modifiable) risk factors and is also often associated with modifiable lifestyle risk factors. We do not know the exact genetic causes of type 2 diabetes. People may be able to significantly slow or even stop the progression of the condition through changes to diet and increasing the amount of physical activity they do."

"While people may have a strong genetic disposition towards type 2 diabetes, the risk is greatly increased if people display a number of modifiable lifestyle factors including high blood pressure, being overweight, not being active enough, eating a poor diet and having the classic ‘apple shape’ body where extra weight is carried around the waist.

People are at a higher risk of getting type 2 diabetes if they:
    • Have a family history of diabetes
    • Are older (over 55 years of age) – the risk increases as we age
    • Are over 45 years of age and are overweight
    • Are over 45 years of age and have high blood pressure
    • Are over 35 years of age and are from an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander background
    • Are over 35 years of age and are from Pacific Island, Indian subcontinent or Chinese cultural background
    • Are a woman who has given birth to a child over 4.5 kgs (9 lbs), or had gestational diabetes when pregnant, or has a condition known as Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)
    • Have mother who had gestational diabetes when they were in utero"

There's a risk quiz just above the symptoms on this page: https://www.diabetesaustralia.com.au/about-diabetes/type-2-diabetes/
    Here: https://www.diabetesaustralia.com.au/risk-calculator/

On preventing Type 2 Diabetes:
    https://www.diabetesaustralia.com.au/prevention/

"Evidence shows type 2 diabetes can be prevented or delayed in up to 58 per cent of cases by maintaining a healthy weight, being physically active and following a healthy eating plan. Many people don’t know they are at risk of developing type 2 diabetes.

People at risk of type 2 diabetes can delay and even prevent the condition by:
    • Maintaining a healthy weight
    • Regular physical activity
    • Making healthy food choices
    • Managing blood pressure
    • Managing cholesterol levels
    • Not smoking"

Regarding exercise: (read the whole page for more information on exercise and diabetes)
    https://www.diabetesaustralia.com.au/living-with-diabetes/exercise/

"For good health, Australian’s should aim for at least 30 minutes of moderate intensity physical activity every day. You may choose to do this all at once or you can split it up into shorter bouts of 10-15 minutes. Moderate intensity physical activity is being active enough that your heart is beating a little bit faster and you are “lightly puffing” but can still hold a conversation. If you can sing or whistle a tune, you need to work a little bit harder.

Keep in mind that the above recommendations are for general health – if your goal is to lose weight you may need to do more than 30 minutes."

Regarding healthy eating with the two types of diabetes: (read the whole page for more information on diet and diabetes)
    https://www.diabetesaustralia.com.au/living-with-diabetes/healthy-eating/

"A healthy diet is the foundation of diabetes management and a healthier way of life for everyone.

We believe there is no one-size-fits-all approach to food and diabetes and that’s why people should talk to a qualified health professional to develop an approach that suits them.

Healthy eating is all about enjoying a variety of foods from each of the five food groups: 
    • vegetables and legumes/beans 
    • fruit 
    • wholegrain foods such as breads, cereals, rice and pasta 
    • lean meat, fish, poultry, tofu, tempeh and nuts 
    • milk, yoghurt, cheese or non-dairy, calcium fortified plant  alternatives. "

Note that after genetics, being overweight and being inactive are the next two things mentioned.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/317462#faq
    "What is type 2 diabetes caused by?
    Type 2 diabetes is caused by problems with a chemical in the body (hormone) called insulin.
    It’s often linked to being overweight or inactive, or having a family history of type 2 diabetes."

https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/diabetes/overview/what-is-diabetes/type-2-diabetes
    "What causes type 2 diabetes?
    Type 2 diabetes is caused by several factors, including
    • overweight and obesity
    • not being physically active
    • insulin resistance
    • genes"

More info:
    https://www.healthdirect.gov.au/type-2-diabetes
    https://www.healthline.com/health/type-2-diabetes
    https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/21501-type-2-diabetes

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    kymarai wrote: »
    Machka In some homes here there is a toilet "closet" but it is located in with the shower and sink. When we redo our master bathroom, I am debating on double sinks but I really like having my own bathroom. When I mentioned it to my DH, he said, awww, we could brush our teeth together-LOL! Ginny mentioned resale value when remodeling, like her, I am not thinking of resale, just what works for us. This means the tub comes out. I figure bathrooms and kitchens are personal and should work for the person currently living there.

<3
    Kylia in Ohio where Spring is making a comeback today

I've never understood the double sink thing ... it's just two sinks to clean rather than one. And there's no way I want my husband in the bathroom with me when I'm getting ready for work. Nope. Uh-uh!!

Have a look at the plan of this place (in spoiler). The ensuite has the toilet in with the sink and shower, but the other bathroom does not have a toilet. See if you can find the toilet! :)
    043s8bhbryyt.png

A lot of Australian houses are like that. Here's another one.

gqo55289w2ey.png

Machka in Oz
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Ginny - It sounds as if you've found a pathway through to a reasonable solution for your possible asbestos issue. Wisdom of the crowds, and all that. Glad we could be of help.

Machka - Thank you for all the info on Type 2 diabetes. I knew there was a strong genetic component, and that controlling my food intake and exercising could only be helpful, but it's good to know I can continue to make a difference for my future if I end up with it anyway;

Annie - If that's what works to you, write away, we're glad to see you make choices that make sense for you.

Heather - Thinking about your appointment, hope it goes well.

Barbara AHMOD - Thinking about you, too.

It is just sheeting down rain outside, and apparently will continue to do so for quite some time. Corey will have plenty of time to get things fixed, as his guys won't be going anywhere today, and probably not tomorrow either. When you put a combined half to 3/4-tons of man and mower on saturated ground, you leave gouges behind, which is unacceptable in their world.

I'm just hoping it doesn't undermine my little bit of brick wall. Checked it yesterday, and it is very definitely a wall holding up very, very solid. I'm so pleased with that bit of work. There's an awful lot more to do, though... and can't do it in the rain.

Hope it's a good day for everyone.

Later, y'all,
    Lisa in AR