Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Crazy Marketing Claims in Ads

Options
1235»

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,430 Member
    Options
    And hey @MargaretYakoda nice to see you active on the boards again! It’s been too long. Or else I’ve been on the wrong board, lol.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,102 Member
    Options
    Am I paranoid? That url has a .ru in it. Why would Russian influencer be targeting an English speaking viewership? And have their location marked as “earth”?

Because it's hard to sue or fine or jail a lying marketer that's hard to find, and seemingly in another country?

Because some countries smile on entities that exploit the vulnerabilities of their perceived enemies, including psychological vulnerabilities of the population, and take their money?

It may be malware in the technical sense, or just exploitative marketing. Also, anyone can buy a domain in the ".ru" top level, looks like.
    No way I’d click on that sucker.

Well, yeah. ;):D
    And,no, I’m not a conspiracy theorist. Maybe I just listen to too much Darknet Diaries. (Awesome podcast btw, even for someone technologically challenged at that level.)

• MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,307 Member
    Options
    And hey @MargaretYakoda nice to see you active on the boards again! It’s been too long. Or else I’ve been on the wrong board, lol.
    Thanks. Glad to be back.
    Computer died. Stress got me for a while. I backslid a bit.
    But I am back. NuStep enthusiast still!
    Am I paranoid? That url has a .ru in it. Why would Russian influencer be targeting an English speaking viewership? And have their location marked as “earth”?

No way I’d click on that sucker.

And,no, I’m not a conspiracy theorist. Maybe I just listen to too much Darknet Diaries. (Awesome podcast btw, even for someone technologically challenged at that level.)

Yeah. It’s an ad from Muskrat’s Twitter.

You never click on a Twitter ad these days. They are all sketch A(kitten)
  • springlering62
    Options
    elkehletzj9j.jpeg

I don’t know why this one makes me so irate, but it does.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,987 Member
    Options
    it makes me irate because it is trivialising and misusing a serious issue for commercial purposes and no doubt, intended to target vulnerable people for some scamming nonsense.
  • MargaretYakoda
    edited March 30
    Options
    Twitter at it again.

This time not an ad, but a bluecheck account scammer, making some dubious claims for likes and followers to get people on the pipeline to her website, which promotes a $98 food storage course, raw dog food, and her YouTube channel.

Apparently she lives on a 30 acre farm “outside Seattle”
    Which…. No. Seattle is a huge city. 30 acres of anything is not just outside the city.
    And she says she used to spend $500 on Christmas Dinner?
    But she’s only 23, and she bought her farm in 2021…. We’re supposed to believe an unmarried 20 year old spent $500 on Christmas dinner?

She’s either a trustfundian, a liar, or both.

https://nypost.com/2023/10/29/lifestyle/washington-woman-preps-christmas-dinner-months-in-advance-for-free/#

bs2t3v3blazc.jpeg

Editing to add: YEESH

Her books are incredibly expensive!

95xr44mum4wv.jpeg
  • springlering62
    Options
    While looking at that article, I got yet another stunning silver haired woman with a competition body. Where are all these women in real life?

If we thought marketing was making us feel inadequate before, AI models are upping it to a whole new vicious level:

qfa9ut986rea.jpeg
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,112 Member
    Options
    bs2t3v3blazc.jpeg

Editing to add: YEESH

Her books are incredibly expensive!

95xr44mum4wv.jpeg

She'll need the money for skin cancer treatment!

Facebook doesn’t seem to know what age I am, a bit early for this ad:

xqsfx0vsl2w4.jpg

The magic of walking - I wish it were that easy!
  • springlering62
    Options
    We need a 😱 button
  • springlering62
    edited April 2
    Options
    e51060t2zare.jpeg

I showed this to my husband and he just died laughing. That’s the thing. Men can look and laugh. Women look at utter BS photos and immediately compare and feel inadequate.

And anyway, why are three studly senior men on the golf course, shirtless? And are the club positions subliminal? Is that how they get the men in?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,102 Member
    Options
    Now I'm wondering what the one food is. :D

On a pure guess, good odds I don't eat it. But I'm not a man, nor a golfer, nor (usually) shirtless, so I guess that's OK.
  • MargaretYakoda
    Options
    e51060t2zare.jpeg

I showed this to my husband and he just died laughing. That’s the thing. Men can look and laugh. Women look at utter BS photos and immediately compare and feel inadequate.

And anyway, why are three studly senior men on the golf course, shirtless? And are the club positions subliminal? Is that how they get the men in?

Why…. Why would a urologist be considered an expert in nutrition and muscle building???

😬🤣
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,619 Member
    Options
    It's all in the club @MargaretYakoda ! It's all in the club(s)! :lol:
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    It's all in the club @MargaretYakoda ! It's all in the club(s)! :lol:

I agree, and they target certain demographics. I mean, am I the only one thinking those guys look like they are 100+ and at the mini golf course with their putters?

@AnnPT77 great thread topic. Though I don't have any to show at the moment, I find it alarming that so many of the crazy claims are just as likely to be in a publication that claims to be fitness related. When I have to stand in line I like to get a chuckle about the latest claims of how to lose weight quickly, with little or no effort, and keep it off. Yet another magic pill that will work for us too, if we just buy the magazine and use their secret!

I can't speak for others, but if that few dollars for a magazine solved all my health and fitness problems, I would have picked on up years ago.
  • springlering62
    Options
    nnbgdwluvmbr.jpeg
    ……erm…….brownie points for extreme specificity?
  • springlering62
    edited April 27
    Options
    1mvtf09domg3.jpeg
    I guess “tests” are the new clickbait. People do love taking online “tests”.

Loving the not-so-subtle threat of “pay later”.
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 736 Member
    edited April 27
    Options
    Okay, I’m not on Facebook or IG, but these were really funny! Minus the trauma tree one, that gave me the ick.

The only way I could tell those silver foxy ladies were older was because of their hair. Are we not supposed to have any identifying features of aging apart for some grey streaks lol?