GIFt us your lifts! (or other achievements!)

Options

Replies

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,086 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. A few years back when I injured both shoulders benching, my PT told me that from then on, I was supposed to do 4 sets of back for every 3 sets of chest, partially to counter my typical male idiocy of focusing on only the chest when I started lifting, partially to offset a day job at a desk with a long commute. It's worked, too.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Today was a good day, as I decided to make it a Bench Press 1RM Test Day. My lifetime max coming in was 285, though with an asterisk considering I hurt myself that day (both shoulders), which cost me several months of lifting while I recovered. This was 10 years ago, and I've never tried to test my 1RM on bench ever since...until today.

Adjusted my warmup to get the blood flowing, repeating a couple sets if the first time didn't feel perfectly in the groove...

45x10
    95x8
    135x5x2
    185x4
    225x3x2
    245x2

After this, I started doing singles...

265x1
    275x1

Now came the moment of truth. Would I blow past the old max of 285, or would the specter of injury memory rear up and get in my head, screwing things up? I rested 4 minutes, got a spotter, setup under the bar at 285, and BOOM, my spotter never had to even reach out his arms, it was that clean of a rep.

Of course you know what came next: I had to try the next weight up! Loaded 295, rested 5 minutes, grabbed a new spotter (the first one had moved to a different station), and setup under the bar. Lowered the weight, pressed for what felt a million years (the bar was moving that slow), but I finished the rep clean. New record!!

Of course you know what came next: I had to try the next weight up! Loaded 305, rested 6 minutes, tapped the same spotter's shoulder, setup under the bar, lowered the weight...and nothing. The bar simply refused to move. Whether I psyched myself out about lifting 300+, or it was simply beyond my physical ability, my nemesis the bottom of the lift proved the champion this rep. My spotter helped raise the bar a few inches, at which point I was able to take over and finish the rep unassisted, but without that bottom point I don't count it a good rep. Not sure if I would've been good had I used the micro plates and gone for an even 300 instead of 305...

To salvage my pride and get a little tonnage in, I dropped the weight to 225 and banged out 5x5 and called it a day.

Online calculators say I should be able to get 319, but I failed at 305. Granted, it was my first time doing actual 1RM lifts instead of calculated in years, and I still raised my lifetime 1RM so can officially say that at age 46 I am stronger than at any point in my life. But now comes the decision point: do I want to alter my current training plan to one focused upon improving the 1RM bench? Do I want to stick with what I've been doing, which has already proven effective in getting me a new 1RM, but who knows if it will continue to improve?

Questions, questions...

Either way, I'm gonna celebrate my new PR with some lunch.
  • kinetixtrainer2
    kinetixtrainer2 Posts: 9,131 Member
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    Today was a good day, as I decided to make it a Bench Press 1RM Test Day. My lifetime max coming in was 285, though with an asterisk considering I hurt myself that day (both shoulders), which cost me several months of lifting while I recovered. This was 10 years ago, and I've never tried to test my 1RM on bench ever since...until today.

Adjusted my warmup to get the blood flowing, repeating a couple sets if the first time didn't feel perfectly in the groove...

45x10
    95x8
    135x5x2
    185x4
    225x3x2
    245x2

265x1
    275x1

Now came the moment of truth. Would I blow past the old max of 285, or would the specter of injury memory rear up and get in my head, screwing things up? I rested 4 minutes, got a spotter, setup under the bar at 285, and BOOM, my spotter never had to even reach out his arms, it was that clean of a rep.

Of course you know what came next: I had to try the next weight up! Loaded 295, rested 5 minutes, grabbed a new spotter (the first one had moved to a different station), and setup under the bar. Lowered the weight, pressed for what felt a million years (the bar was moving that slow), but I finished the rep clean. New record!!

Of course you know what came next: I had to try the next weight up! Loaded 305, rested 6 minutes, tapped the same spotter's shoulder, setup under the bar, lowered the weight...and nothing. The bar simply refused to move. Whether I psyched myself out about lifting 300+, or it was simply beyond my physical ability, my nemesis the bottom of the lift proved the champion this rep. My spotter helped raise the bar a few inches, at which point I was able to take over and finish the rep unassisted, but without that bottom point I don't count it a good rep. Not sure if I would've been good had I used the micro plates and gone for an even 300 instead of 305...

To salvage my pride and get a little tonnage in, I dropped the weight to 225 and banged out 5x5 and called it a day.

Online calculators say I should be able to get 319, but I failed at 305. Granted, it was my first time doing actual 1RM lifts instead of calculated in years, and I still raised my lifetime 1RM so can officially say that at age 46 I am stronger than at any point in my life. But now comes the decision point: do I want to alter my current training plan to one focused upon improving the 1RM bench? Do I want to stick with what I've been doing, which has already proven effective in getting me a new 1RM, but who knows if it will continue to improve?

Questions, questions...

Awesome job on the new PR.

Sounds like your current programming is building strength for you. Your options all look positive to me. I enjoy a new program after running one for 8 to 12 weeks. I tend to leave in the programming that’s working for me.

If your goal is strictly new PR’s then you may want to try some reverse pyramids.
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,562 Member
    Options
    @nossmf

Congrats on the new PR and I'm sorry that 305 was an sob. I felt that way on my last deadlift attempt... I was sure 310 would be mine and was shocked when 305 didn't even want to go all the way up.

I'm confident you will get it though!

That said, if you did start chasing 1rms, I've heard it's better to work your way up there (I. E. Do a few weeks leading up to some heavy triples and doubles and then go for your single.)

Either way, I believe the strength is totally there. 😊 I'm going into week 4 of a 7 week cycle and then I'll be testing again. This week I'll be doing 3 sets of 8 x 80%, with the last set amap (aiming for a calc 1rm > current)

Tonight is squats and ohp, tho ohp is not getting pushed hard due to shoulder.
  • Minion_training_program
    Minion_training_program Posts: 13,366 Member
    Options
    Dips are the devil! I did them my first year of lifting, quickly stopped due to pain, though in my case it was pain on my triceps, not chest. Either way, haven't done them in 13+ years.

Totally agree. Dips are bad on the joints, and for tricep strenght/growth not even your best choice.
    Unless you are a gymnast, you should avid doing these
    Options

45x10
    95x8
    135x5x2
    185x4
    225x3x2
    245x2

265x1
    275x1

Questions, questions...

AWESOME!
    fbddx0d6z8dk.gif
  • kinetixtrainer2
    Options
    Dips are the devil! I did them my first year of lifting, quickly stopped due to pain, though in my case it was pain on my triceps, not chest. Either way, haven't done them in 13+ years.

Totally agree. Dips are bad on the joints, and for tricep strenght/growth not even your best choice.

I will use weighted dips on my heavy days in some routines. When I use them I’ll program them in on the front end of my triceps work and following my shoulder work. I use them as a compound movement that allows me to do more isolated movements (Pushdowns, overhead extensions, etc..) with less weight. Which actually puts less stress on the elbow for me.
    Options

I will use weighted dips on my heavy days in some routines. When I use them I’ll program them in on the front end of my triceps work and following my shoulder work. I use them as a compound movement that allows me to do more isolated movements (Pushdowns, overhead extensions, etc..) with less weight. Which actually puts less stress on the elbow for me.

You are one rare breed Chris...
    Kudo's that you do them and have no problem in doing them, because most people get injured when doing dips, let alone doing weighted dips
  • kinetixtrainer2
    Options

Kudo's that you do them and have no problem in doing them, because most people get injured when doing dips, let alone doing weighted dips

We are all different for sure Gus. Finding what works and what doesn’t work is the interesting part of all this to me.

My AC joint in my right shoulder is also completely torn. Has been since 2003. I have been blessed with it for sure. This is why I prefer incline presses over flat. My shoulder is happier with me on incline presses.
    edited March 26
    Options
    Back in the gym after 1 week off.
    Took it easy, and no squats yet, so did upper body workouts.

Benchpress 5x5 @ 83%
    Tried some new stuff i saw on IG from Nick Benekaris (bigbenchas...follow him if you do not already...Thanks for the tip @KickassAmazon76 )
    By having a different setup for my grip, my wrist was not bending backwards on the way down, which normally happens on the heavier weights.

Tried this after set 1 and 2. And i can tell it makes a huge difference, my 3rd and 4th set were flying, actually did 6 reps on third set, because i lost count, but my garmin counted 6.

Some barbell row 3x10

Then tricep push down on cable station 3x10

Incline bench press 3x8 at the weight i was struggling with last time i did incline bench press and was not even able to do 3 sets fo 6 (had 6/5/5)
    Now, only last set i was really struggling to complete my set.

And finished my workout with 2x150 rope jumps where i do not do 150 in a row, but when i break, i just restart and count further untill i hit my 150.

First time was almost 3 and a half minute to complete 150 reps
    Second time i was below 3 minuts

Goal is to do 150 reps in a row, under 2 minuts

b8jniywodjya.png

Here is my heartrate during my workout, you can definatly tell i suck at cardio, since my heartrate goes sky high when i started rope jumping

Total volume lifted today, 4840kg
    Options

We are all different for sure Gus. Finding what works and what doesn’t work is the interesting part of all this to me.

My AC joint in my right shoulder is also completely torn. Has been since 2003. I have been blessed with it for sure. This is why I prefer incline presses over flat. My shoulder is happier with me on incline presses.

Yeah that is true.
    Some people think i am nuts for liking squats so much more than benchpress (i'd rather do 3x a week squats then 1x benchpress)
    But since i do wanna be stronger overall, i do my benchpress as well 🤣

And i understand the incline vs flat when it comes to the shoulder
  • kinetixtrainer2
    Options

Benchpress 5x5 @ 83%
    Tried some new stuff i saw on IG from Nick Benekaris (bigbenchas...follow him if you do not already...Thanks for the tip @KickassAmazon76 )
    By having a different setup for my grip, my wrist was not bending backwards on the way down, which normally happens on the heavier weights.

Tried this after set 1 and 2. And i can tell it makes a huge difference, my 3rd and 4th set were flying, actually did 6 reps on third set, because i lost count, but my garmin counted 6.

Some barbell row 3x10

Incline bench press 3x8 at the weight i was struggling with last time i did incline bench press and was not even able to do 3 sets fo 6 (had 6/5/5)

And finished my workout with 2x150 rope jumps where i do not do 150 in a row, but when i break, i just restart and count further untill i hit my 150.

b8jniywodjya.png

Here is my heartrate during my workout, you can definatly tell i suck at cardio, since my heartrate goes sky high when i started rope jumping

Dude! That’s some serious heart rates there on those peaks. How do you like jumping rope for cardio?
    Options

Benchpress 5x5 @ 83%

Some barbell row 3x10

b8jniywodjya.png

Dude! That’s some serious heart rates there on those peaks. How do you like jumping rope for cardio?

Yeah, my working heartrate has always been high, been that ever since i started tracking it back in 2010 when i did cycling

I goes high fast, but also back to normal pretty fast
    But during my rope jumping it went up to 177 peak which is almost as high as i used to have it on my spinning classes back in the day

Really like the rope jumping for cardio, it's a great cardio even if it's only 5-6 minuts. It feels like 20
  • kinetixtrainer2
    Options

Benchpress 5x5 @ 83%

Some barbell row 3x10

b8jniywodjya.png

Yeah, my working heartrate has always been high, been that ever since i started tracking it back in 2010 when i did cycling

But during my rope jumping it went up to 177 peak which is almost as high as i used to have it on my spinning classes back in the day

Really like the rope jumping for cardio, it's a great cardio even if it's only 5-6 minuts. It feels like 20

I need to give this a try. If it kills me Gus just know I still love ya. 😁
  • itchmyTwitch
    itchmyTwitch Posts: 3,824 Member
    Options

Benchpress 5x5 @ 83%

Some barbell row 3x10

b8jniywodjya.png

Last time I tried jumping rope I had to face a corner due to certain wardrobe malfunctions. I'll be better prepared next time
  • nossmf
    Options
    Back in my military days, they were playing around with their annual physical fitness test. One year they tried a stationary bike with variable resistance and a heart rate monitor, somebody would change the resistance and watch the change in heart rate.

Short answer was I failed spectacularly, because my heart rate has a tendency to go from zero to sixty in nothing flat, even with light work, but never really spike high, just stay level. But the test scored on a sliding scale, and said I must be lousy fitness because I went high fast instead of staying low, despite the fact the pedaling remained easy for me.

I didn't feel bad about it, though. Nearly 90% of the military "failed" that test, including a dude in my unit who finished in the top 50 overall at the Boston Marathon. Yep, that guy must have lousy cardio...
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,562 Member
    Options
    hyj43olr14xm.gif

Last night I had a great workout. Squats went solidly and my 3rd set worked out to a calculated 1rm of just over 250, so yay! Depth was also pretty good.

I did some leg presses. Tried changing up the foot height and position to get better ROM. Some random on the interwebs said I was ego lifting the 5 plates and sacrificing form, so I did some research, changed my foot position and slowed the reps down. Still, even after that, my fourth set was 4 plates for 7 reps, so I really don't think it was much ego at all.

• nossmf
    Options
    Figured as well as my bench press test went yesterday, I could swap out my heavy leg day today for a squat test day. Bear in mind I haven't gone fewer than 10 reps in a set in years, although those sets are at a higher weight than I used to do sets of five at back in the day.

So I broke out my old knee wraps and weight belt out of storage and hit the rack, being extra careful to set the safety bar at the correct height in case I had to bail. Thorough warmup with ramping weight but de-ramping reps, until I started doing singles after my working weight of 405.

Added the wraps and belt after a couple heavy singles just as a precaution more than anything, and wow, I forgot how restrictive the wraps are, lol. But I kept adding 20# each time and the weight kept moving... 445, 465, 485 (matching previous lifetime PR).

Time for the big show, 5 plates, 495! (Threw on a couple micro-plates to make it an even 500, just for kicks and giggles.) Bar bending, spine feeling like an accordion getting compressed, feet barely shuffling into position an inch at a time. But the rep itself moved smoothly enough, and I had finished another PR!

That's the last time I do a squat PR, though. My knees and legs took it gamely enough, and arguably could have gone even higher, but my spine was letting me know in no uncertain terms that I was DONE.

Between yesterday's bench plus today's squat plus my last recorded deadlift (before I stopped them due to injury), I now qualify for the 1200# club at BW 200.
  • kinetixtrainer2
    Options

Benchpress 5x5 @ 83%

Some barbell row 3x10

b8jniywodjya.png

Last time I tried jumping rope I had to face a corner due to certain wardrobe malfunctions. I'll be better prepared next time

Should have gif’d it 😂
  • itchmyTwitch
    itchmyTwitch Posts: 3,824 Member
    Options

Benchpress 5x5 @ 83%

Some barbell row 3x10

b8jniywodjya.png

Should have gif’d it 😂

😂🤦‍♀️