Working out when you are overworked

Options
I spend a majority of my day stuck behind a desk and sitting stationary for hours on end. What are some tips or trick to get in movement/exercise when you are expected to be at your desk working?

Answers

• pridesabtch
    pridesabtch Posts: 2,327 Member
    Options
    If you can get a standing desk, that is better than sitting, but still not ideal to stay in one place. I understand it isn't always possible to go for a 5 minute walk every hour at all jobs, but it would be great if you can. There are also squats and calf raises you can do at your desk as well as desk push ups. You might look a bit out of place, but people will get used to it. If they don't who cares, this is about you not them.
  • TracyL963
    TracyL963 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Use the bathroom stall for some standing push-ups. Add some squats while you're there too.

Retired now, but I would pop in a "walking" DVD at lunch. I could close my office door. External DVD drives are cheap now. I.T. wouldn't appreciate streaming Youtube videos.

If you can, go for a walk outdoors. Is there a big box store in the neighborhood? We had a large home improvement store nearby.
  • jimmydr5
    jimmydr5 Posts: 254 Member
    edited March 26
    Options
    Try gradual progression to HIIT 3-5 times a week as per your stamina if no medical contraindication and diet control. Go slow.
    HIIT takes anywhere from 10-30 mins and keeps your EPOC high, that’s post exercise oxygen consumption and so the metabolism.

Problem with HIIT: it requires stamina and you just cannot compromise on form; otherwise it might result in injury.
  • x_stephisaur_x
    x_stephisaur_x Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I work out in the morning before I get to work so that I don't feel so bad about sitting for most of the day!

I also get up every hour or so to go to the toilet, make a drink etc so that I'm still moving. I'm only away from my desk for a couple of minutes, but it all counts :)